The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why You Can Make a Lot of Money Overseas

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
This article is from Simon Black's www.SovereignMan.com newsletter. I thought it was worth sharing here too.. Because I live in Central and South America, I can tell you he is SPOT ON!

April 3, 2014
Santiago, Chile

Buying movie tickets online hardly seems like an earth shattering concept.

The idea has been around for at least a decade or more, especially if you're from North America or Europe.

But in parts of Latin America, they're still working out the kinks. And that created an opportunity.

A few years ago, a team of entrepreneurs founded a company called CinePapaya in Lima, Peru. Its objective was simple-- sell tickets online to any movie, in any theather in Peru.

Basically it's the Peruvian version of Fandango. Nothing particularly original about the idea.

But because it wasn't already being done in Peru, they had no competition... and they were quickly able to dominate the market.

Today they've managed to apply the same model across nine countries in Latin America, including Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia.

The company is thriving. And the founders have made a fortune on an incredibly simple idea that had already become successful in North America and Europe.

A few years ago, a Swiss business student did the same thing, bringing a taxi-hire service to Latin America that is similar to Uber. It's called Safer Taxi. And it has revolutionized the taxi industry in the region.

This is a common approach in developing countries.

Places like Chile, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, much of Asia, etc. have rapidly growing middle classes. Disposable income is rising. People are going out more, spending more, consuming more.

But in many of these countries, there is a distinct lack of what westerners would consider 'basic' services... like being able to buy movie tickets online for any theater in the city.

Things that have become ubiquitous in North America and Europe often don't exist in the developing world. The demand is clearly there. But the supply isn't.

This creates huge potential for you to build a successful business in growing countries, often by simply using the exact same business model that works so well back home.

And there's a key benefit in doing this: when you export that model overseas, the risk is substantially lower because it has already been tested in a much more competitive environment.

Overseas, there is no cutthroat competition... no billion dollar companies or "me too" followers breathing down your neck.

Plus, given the lack of competition, the locals will often adopt your product much more quickly.

Even if you don't fancy yourself much of an entrepreneur, it's still possible to participate in many of these opportunities as an investor.

Startups need cash, at a minimum to fuel growth. CinePapaya, for example, participated in the Startup Chile incubator, and ultimately received venture capital last year.

In this part of the world, though, there is a dearth of funds or even angel investors who invest in startups or early stage private equity.

Places like San Francisco are crawling with cheap money and seed capital. Latin America is not, despite the region's overwhelming growth prospects.

So not only is there little competition for entrepreneurs who create new businesses or import great business models, there's also little competition for investors who want to get in on the action in a thriving market.

More on that in a future letter.

Until tomorrow,

Simon Black

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Burt A

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 3, 2014
Texas
I spent some time in South Africa a couple of years ago (early 2012) and I remember that in downtown Johannesburg--huge city--they just kind of got wi-fi in all the coffee shops, etc. like we did in North America a few years earlier. Everybody was still on Blackberries at that time when everybody over here was all iPhone-mad.

The funny thing was that SA can be/is very 1st world for most things in the nice parts of town. It just reaches them a little later, a delay. One local banker told me the keen people always know what's going to sweep through next because it is just a year or so behind the States. It was a different ball game than when we did factory tours in China--there the Chinese, more to less, were making their own versions of American stuff. The South African's wanted the actual American/British stuff.

I find too, even in Canada, where I was born, we're just a couple months behind the U.S. (ex. iPhone release). I've heard Brazil is booming now.

Moral of the story is that there is truth to this article. I've been pondering the idea of how to leverage these markets.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
Great post Jackie. I am sure lots of entrepreneurs here have tossed around the idea of taking a model from one locale and replicating it in another. There are hundreds of examples of this. Two quick ones I can think of are basically Yelp! clones:
GLIO: Yelp of Brazil
http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/06/glio/

Loogares: Yelp of Chile
http://cl.loogares.com/santiago-de-chile

Very true that the replication model can be applied to literally any industry in any market. This is why traveling is one of the most invaluable things in the world. You see things that you are blind to at home. Traveling is stepping outside yourself. It's like having someone proofread an article you wrote. You may have checked, double checked, triple checked your writing and missed the fact that your headline isn't even a complete sentence. You are engrossed with your everyday experience and miss the problems that you could be solving outside yourself and your daily routine. When we travel we see needs that have gone unfulfilled in other markets and our own. I once spent 2 months in India that were priceless (avatar = Munnar tea fields).

And you don't have to travel far to serve these under-served up-and-coming markets. I often think about how big the Spanish speaking market is in America alone. They are under-served. Figure out a way to bring them what they want and you will have your next "big idea". No you don't have to speak spanish to become a Spanish tycoon (or Russian, Afrikaans, etc.). Think about it.

Last edited:

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Groupon is popular in the USA.

the spin in Panama is

http://ofertasimple.com/

very very popular site.

If you are struggling to find opportunities where you are now, get on a plane to travel to an emerging market country to find opportunities all over the place.

Last edited:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
I just deleted my 2 long posts by accident...anyway being from a developing country myself: Papua New Guinea...I can attest that there are many opportunities in the South Pacific that have not been exploited yet...quite a few internet users as we speak...issue is converting it into real money...most popular payment service I know if is for Digicel...pay using your VISA card for prepaid phone credit....other avenues are not so widely exploited yet such as adspace etc....And thats just the internet side of things

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Geographic arbitrage, smart.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
There is one company (don't recall the name) but they are constantly on techcrunch...they have built a multibillion dollar empire by copying ideas that are popular in the US to other countries.

bgalakazam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 16, 2014
South Carolina
I am from a "small" country in Eastern Europe. Of about 7million population, the real Internet users market is no more that 1.5 million. That and the language limitation is enough to offput me starting anything there. I have thousands of ideas of things that are available in the US and not there. The market is too small to justify the jump.

South America is different. Everyone (except Brazil and a French former collony or two) speaks Spanish. You have a market for millions at the tips of your hands. Look at Europe - many countries with < 10 million population. While this can work in some regions of the world, you must always remember your market limit in terms of potential buyers.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
One of the reasons I'm contemplating moving back to Brazil. Will be traveling there mid May to see how the situation is there.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
, you must always remember your market limit in terms of potential buyers.[/quote]

Good point...I was looking at internet users for my region just the other day...reality is most of these internet users...might just use facebook and whatsapp and surf the net occasionally...Data is very expensive in my country...only one ISP that offers unlimited access at expensive rates......will have to think and plan more...but I have been looking into providing cheap, fast and affordable internet...still searching infrastructure is outdated...was having a look at internet.org and some other options...anyone here have knowledge or experience of affordable and fast internet solutions for developing countries with limited infrastructure....?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
A lot of rural internet access is limited to VSAT options...expensive...and other issues...costs etc...need an alternative.(in my country) anyone willing/can share their experiences...I would be very grateful and thanks CashFlowDepot for initiating the post

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Forget market limitations. You don't need 1,000,000 people/buyers to make a lot of money. Stop thinking about all the reasons why not, and start thinking about the reasons why!

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
"And there's a key benefit in doing this: when you export that model overseas, the risk is substantially lower because it has already been tested in a much more competitive environment."

I'm not sure the "risk would be substantially lower" by relocating to developing country. I think entry would be easier for many businesses, but there are always risks.

Don't get me wrong, I agree there are many opportunities in the developing world, but I think he is sugar coating it a little. He seems to talk plenty about the end result of these successful start-ups(event focused), and little about challenges they had to overcome (the process).

Don't be enticed into thinking you have to move to a different country to start your business just because that's where the opportunity is when there are thousands of perfectly good opportunities right where you are.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Even Kevin O'Leary thinks so. Entire speech is amazing, but watch last 2 mins from 20:50 onwards ;)

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I've lived 14 years in Brazil, and this is my take:

Yes, it has a ton of opportunities. Huge population, everything is improving, lots and lots to be worked on. Seriously.

But... What takes you a month to achieve in US through bureaucracy will take you half a year in Brazil. There is so much legislation, so many unnecessary steps to be taken, it goes on and on.

It can be a very good opportunity, just don't go crazy if things take a very, very long time. Just relax a bit and learn how the brazilian lifestyle goes.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Not all countries are alike. You definitely need to research what it takes to set up a legal biz in any location ( domestic or foreign) before you take the leap.

26 year old guy in my small vilage of 25,000 - saw the need for a transportation company to take people to the closest airport which is 40 miles away. Taxis are ok but often not big enough for a family and their luggage. So, he bought an 8 seater van. He's is booked. Then he got another van. He is booked. He does not do any of the driving.

In talking to his customers, they said boy I wish there was pizza delivery here. There is none of that here.

He started a delivery service. Call any restaurant or the grocery store, place your order then tell them you want it delivered. They call his company, they pick it up and delivery. Then he took it one step further - he started a service to go to to the closest Costco which is 40 minutes away. he gets what you need then delivers it. This is all hired out. He stays in the office counting money.

Once again, in listening to his customers, they said boy I wish there was a good sandwich shop here. Remember this is a small village of 25,000 people with no chain stores of any kind.

He started the Sandwich Factory. Best sandwiches in town.

He just listened to people in town then filled a need.

This works great if you want to stay put. But the ideal situation is to have a portable income so you can move and explore any area and still have an income.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Fantastic thread overall (not just the OP but the replies as well).

A few things you need to be aware of.

First is regulation. There may in fact be a reason why big corporations haven't gone into these countries to begin with. That's because business often entails risk from government interference.

Which brings me to the second point. This risk that government will needlessly shut your business down. Either through nationalization or through over-regulation.

It's amazing how many people will be jealous of outsiders who make money by meeting the needs of the people.

Don't let any of the above discourage you from starting a business. However you can't venture into these businesses without knowing the risks involved (and taking steps at the start of the business to prevent them from happening).

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks guys I will keep everything in mind...and thanks for the reminder...start with a small amount first and build up..and no need for a million customers...anyway entry might be easier with no or little compeition but sometimes the costs are phenomenal....but thanks guys reminded me that I have a cousin who does rubbish/trash or any type of waste removal with his small truck...I was too busy to help him with marketing and looking for more custmomers and sales...now I am in Taipei so doing what I can here while studying full-time

Mwiseman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 7, 2013
Does anyone have ideas they would be willing to share that aren't in other countries? I was thinking online ordering like grubhub could work.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Overseas or not, people just don't seem to listen to their customers enough.

Listen to them and then serve them whatever they want. Even if it's horse shit :)

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Does anyone have ideas they would be willing to share that aren't in other countries? I was thinking online ordering like grubhub could work.
It's on the INSIDERS, but I have a progress thread for a business we wound down, it's called Hangover Bros, and it was fast food delivery. Despite going viral and getting national marketing attention (and 16k+ likes on FB), we still couldn't make any serious profit. We done this in Australia, but we now know similar models have failed overseas.

In saying that, Delivery Hero is successful, but they have huge infrastructure, it's not an easy market to enter, being a double-sided market.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
So I've made the jump and moved to Brazil. If anyone wants to know anything from here, just hit me up.

Damn Cheers to you my man! Takes balls, I love it
What city are you in?

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks mate, it did take some courage but if life was easy, it'd be boring!

I'm in Florianópolis, an island in the south of Brazil. One of the highest living standards in the country and lots of opportunities coming up.

Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
There is one company (don't recall the name) but they are constantly on techcrunch...they have built a multibillion dollar empire by copying ideas that are popular in the US to other countries.
I think you mean Rocket Internet GmbH(run by the Samwer brothers of Germany). I've heard mixed reviews about their ethics, but unquestionably those dudes are ruthless executors.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
It's on the INSIDERS, but I have a progress thread for a business we wound down, it's called Hangover Bros, and it was fast food delivery. Despite going viral and getting national marketing attention (and 16k+ likes on FB), we still couldn't make any serious profit. We done this in Australia, but we now know similar models have failed overseas.

In saying that, Delivery Hero is successful, but they have huge infrastructure, it's not an easy market to enter, being a double-sided market.

Food Panda seems to be going ok here in Taiwan, although I haven't seen their balance sheet or P&L statements etc

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE

Its essentially entrepreneurial arbitrage if you think about it. Guessing they have a model where they identify a local partner or local authority to gain insight and information into local interests and needs. This is something that is really interesting to me.

Speaking of market chasing where perceived benefit is in large, developing markets, I watched the huge corporate I used to work for chase the South American market all last year. It was supposed to be the next big thing etc. ANYONE with half a brain could see this was a baaaaadddd idea. Something as basic as collection of payment was not running to expected standards and then the currencies went belly up and they couldn't improve other aspects of corporate infrastructure fast enough/well enough to make an impact. What was the next great hope to plug ever shrinking profit margins and losses from another unit turned into a major fiasco losing money left and right. (extremely poor senior/middle management is one of the reasons why I left) So kids, if the "big boys" can't do it successfully, take care and ensure your ducks are in a row when working in this market. Increased risk always results in increased reward, but cover your a$$ if possible!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.