The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for a mentor already in the Fastlane

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
I'm not a journalist, a glutton nor a dog, Mr. DeMarco. :) I think it would be more interesting if you talked more about how your book differs from Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week as opposed to getting randomly angry at a forum poster who is trying to help you out.

Do you even think before writing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I'm not a journalist, a glutton nor a dog, Mr. DeMarco. :) I think it would be more interesting if you talked more about how your book differs from Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week as opposed to getting randomly angry at a forum poster who is trying to help you out.

You're a troll, please leave...

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/mj-is-offering-free-mentoring.25393/

Here's a list of other successful members that also offer free mentoring ---> via the quality of their posts and/or progress threads here:
That should be enough to get you started (there are more). Most of the best content is on the INSIDE but still tons of great content on the main forum. Dig in, read everything by these members, take notes.

Piggy-backing off of this,

To find other posters that have good information you should look at:

1. Go to https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/members/
2. Click "Most Liked"
3. Click on their usernames.
4. Click the "Postings" tab (3rd tab)
5. On the bottom of that tab, you should see a "Find all thread by _______ " or "Find all content by ______".
6. Read everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
So it’s my DREAM

My main problem is that I’m constantly coming up with “new” and “better” ideas and starting new projects before I work on my current ones long enough to see results. I also struggle with getting traffic.

Anyone up for the challenge? :)
I will mentor you.

This post will make you realize why you keep coming up with new and better ideas. It wasn't until I made a pact with myself to focus on ONE business for a full year, that I was able to quit my job and work on business full time, from home.

Take a look at my post "Why We Jump From Business to Business"

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/frustrated-in-not-seeing-any-success-heres-why.54295/page-2

Getting over this 'new and better idea' thing will get you to the next level. Do you see yourself being a stay at home mom bouncing between many ideas, or working on one successful business?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions but I haven't seen any exceptional intelligence to any replies here.

I am pretty sure you meant that you haven't seen any exceptional intelligence in any replies here, because on face value your exceptionally intelligent sentence doesn't have proper structure.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I have some genuine input that I think could help. I'm being sincere here so don't try to turn this negative.

Come up with 50 questions you would ask this mentor of yours. After you have the list of questions search here on the forum. I promise 9 times out of 10 it's been covered. If it hasn't been, search your favorite search engine. You'll more than likely find the rest there. Whether you realize it or not you're learning a fantastic skill. You're learning how to be resourceful. In the off chance you can't find the answer, by all means ask.

It's no secret that people tend to hangout with those similar to themselves. If you can become resourceful and learn to blaze your own path you, won't need anyone or anything but yourself. That's a powerful idea so I'll say it again. If you can become resourceful and learn to blaze your own path you, won't need anyone or anything but yourself.

Once you learn this, chances are you'll find yourself in a position to start attracting these people as friends, not mentors. We surround ourselves with like minded people. Become an action taker and you'll start meeting action takers.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Mentorship is anything where someone who is successful in your field is giving you wisdom on it.

I've struggled with depression many times before and whilst it definitely hindered my progress, it didn't stop me. I got up the next day and went big.

What you need is self-accountability. Hopping from one "idea" to the other, signals you haven't found your purpose of why you want to help people specifically, in whatever field you choose. No one on this thread is being an a**hole to you, esp Kyle. I am on his list as a consultant and his wisdom is brilliant.

Your main issue is Focus. You want the easy way out. If you desire easy, stick to a job.

If Business was easy, everyone in the world would have a shot. Copying someone's success doesn't mean doing it word for word, or action for action. That's flat out entitlement and laziness.

You said you wanted someone to slap you silly.

I believe most folk in this thread just did that.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
I’ve been involved with internet marketing for a little over 3 years, and have tried it ALL practically, but haven’t had any one method stick enough to make me more than a couple of bucks.

• What have you done in those 3 years?
  • What have your results been, specifically?
  • What knowledge have you gained in those 3 years?

Internet marketing can be very frustrating at times -- It's certainly not an easy space to make it in as a newbie. Since you've been at it so long, I'm going to assume you've been relying on free organic traffic to your affiliate niche websites.

Not sure if that's your case or not, but I'm going to say this anyways as it will apply to most people in your position:

Building your business around a website that solely relies on search engines to organically rank and display your listing high up in the rankings is like building a sand castle right on the shore -- you're only one wave or search engine algorithm update away from losing all your traffic, your sales, and potentially your business.

If you want to find examples of websites that are successfully doing what you want to do, get on Google or Bing and search for your related keywords. Pay attention at the top paid search results. Find out how they are monetizing their websites, and figure out how you can do it better than them.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
+1 on Kyle being brilliant.

JasonR gave some awesome advice in one of his threads:
  • Go out and do things for people.
  • Learn to leverage your networks to find mutual partnerships and JVs.

Nuff said.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
youve been here 2 years and no one cares to teach you

ive been on here 2-3 months and people PM me asking for me to join their projects

why?

I have an AMA where I give INSIDERS 110%

If i dont know Ill find out & save them time

they want someone like me in their organization

so instead of asking people what they can do for you, ask what you can do for them

good luck

^^^ This.

Ditto. I've been a member for 3 months and concentrated on helping others. I've made some great connections because of that. MJ and the other big guys in here talking ice cream are SERIOUS when they say you need to ADD VALUE. It works, and we should all be thankful that's how the world works too.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Ditto. I've been a member for 3 months and concentrated on helping others. I've made some great connections because of that. MJ and the other big guys in here talking ice cream are SERIOUS when they say you need to ADD VALUE. It works, and we should all be thankful that's how the world works too.

Spot on as well. I just realized this now. Thank you for posting this.

Most of the messages I got from people offering help came after I started 2 threads just posting stuff I know that I feel could help others.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I figured out what your business does...

fengyu_fire.jpg

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Amusing!

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
Perhaps you should read both. Make up your own conclusion. For me, the difference is very clear.

If would be lovely if you could share your opinion. I like Tim Ferriss a lot. I'm wondering if this book was meant to piggyback on his successful novel or if it has anything new to add? I also think these terms, fastlane, slowlane etc, might be useful buzzwords for critics to deem it a book in the self-help genre that might seem unsavoury and insulting to legitimate people in the workplace- whether they are bluecollar or whitecollar.

Last edited:

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
Mentorship is anything where someone who is successful in your field is giving you wisdom on it.

I've struggled with depression many times before and whilst it definitely hindered my progress, it didn't stop me. I got up the next day and went big.

What you need is self-accountability. Hopping from one "idea" to the other, signals you haven't found your purpose of why you want to help people specifically, in whatever field you choose. No one on this thread is being an a**hole to you, esp Kyle. I am on his list as a consultant and his wisdom is brilliant.

Your main issue is Focus. You want the easy way out. If you desire easy, stick to a job.

If Business was easy, everyone in the world would have a shot. Copying someone's success doesn't mean doing it word for word, or action for action. That's flat out entitlement and laziness.

You said you wanted someone to slap you silly.

I believe most folk in this thread just did that.

Are you honestly saying that Kyle's response to the OP didn't send off your "a**hole/douchebag" meter? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't hire nor work with a guy who goes around on the internet saying how much better he is than a stay-at-home mom. That's pretty much low class anywhere in the business world, much less any world. Sure, we can compare ourselves to people who work at McDonald's too and those kids who grew up in the projects, but there is a reason why people don't do that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If would be lovely if you could share your opinion. I like Tim Ferriss a lot. I'm wondering if this book was meant to piggyback on his successful novel or if it has anything new to add? I also think these terms, fastlane, slowlane etc, might be useful buzzwords for critics to deem it a book in the self-help genre that might seem unsavoury and insulting to legitimate people in the workplace- whether they are bluecollar or whitecollar.

I've had enough.

As I guessed, you'd be gone by Wednesday and by gosh, it's Wednesday.

Go find yourself another forum to troll.

Tony Nguyen

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 21, 2014
There's a difference between expressing your opinion and straight up being rude, mind tuning it down a little?
just in case you don't stop, Mind over matter. I don't mind and you don't matter, but in the end money talks,
words don't mean shit they bring no valuation in the real world.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser113

It would be lovely if you found a new forum to troll on.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Are you honestly saying that Kyle's response to the OP didn't send off your "a**hole/douchebag" meter?

Hmmm I'll take a look, he isn't usually rough

So you're a dreamer with a long track record of failure who wants to copy my business in exchange for "gratitude".

Wow, where do I sign up!

I see...

That response is not nice. And there is a lot of that here at the introduction level(it could ideally be done better, but practically speaking thats not what the forum is per se, which I think fools some people into getting roasted).

I think the behaviour develops because people don't want to deal with people that ask hard questions and then leave the next day because they don't get the response (you put effort in and then boom, they are gone) because its demotivating.

I mean, someone asks, "how do I get enough money to start my business" and you respond with "make sure the idea sells first by getting some sales" and all you get back is "you have to be rich to build a business, you filthy scoundrels".

I think this place reacts to that because there are places on the internet that are really unscrupulous and popularise a lot of bullshit, which mj tries to combat. (he isn't combatting you victoria, he is protecting his forum from the other people brainwashed by other bullsh#t on the web)

He sees a nail, he pulls out the hammer. Its not nice if you are just an ambitious entreprenuer that doesnt frequent BS forums and you expect a polite welcome and some mingling and discourse rather than meeting some goal post you have no idea of, but it exists as what it is.

I'm not excusing it, or turning a blind eye, its just not what you expect. And the value is in a different place than you'd expect, and its a rough fit, if you are looking to ease your burdens.

Its a good place at times if you carry your own dreams yourself. So in a way, a lesson of life can be learned here. Don't give up your dreams for others to f#ck with.
No one here outright wants to f#ck with your dreams, they just want to f#ck with behaviours that can become too common and the lines between who is what is blurred.

If you are looking to give benefit of the doubt.
MJ is a "rough" styled writer, so... Like in his blog, he'll sort of rough up the subject in order to keep it more slang, to show a disparity between himself and what he finds frustrating about stuff. I don't think he holds grudges, I just think he is wary of letting floodgates crack open and fill his forum with less savoury stuff.

I wish I could help newbies not get roasted, or get people to chill out, and help business be easier and about creating the best things we can all muster, but it is what it is here, a bit of a moshpit. The best advice is to find a few people you like, create a progress thread, and just think through your biz without soley relying on the forum, and if it grates on you follow your instincts towards being a social entreprenuer (what it seems like you are to me, and why I'm being helpful).

If you don't feel this place is a good environment for you, its ok :)
Social Entreprenuers have a hard path sometimes balancing the good they want to do, with the methods they will abide. Its a rough rough trip, and thats why I'm being supportive, I LOVE social entreprenuers! We need more of them!
Sadly I don't know of a place for social entreprenuers, so if you want to take something away from this place with a healthy dose of salt, I won't hold that against you. But just be prepared for the rough bumps, and keep your own habits of business at home tidy, and don't put more pressure on this place than it can take.

I absolutely wish you all the best
You seem very intelligent, and ambitious, those strengths will serve you well.
But you also seem stressed out about how to maximise the potential of your company. That isn't to my knowledge ever talked about here (though occasionally alluded to).
It's more just about accountability, and the bare bones, with rare outlying gems that some people bring.

I'm not going to sugar coat the forum, you just actually have to ask yourself who you are, and if you can accept things. Give that process time.
I want your business to change the world, so think of your baby first :)

MJ you are a baller but, sometimes you only see targets, I can tell she'll grind through the desert (reluctantly but she will).
I know you don't give a sh#t about that, but I just gotta paint some truth for the social entreprenuers out there, who misinterpret you as hating on social aspects of business when in reality you hate on lazy piece of cr#p wannabe business.
She's not lazy, just the lines blur pretty quickly here.

Last edited:

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
That response is not nice.

It was direct. And the OP did asked to be slapped silly :)

I think the behaviour develops because people don't want to deal with people that ask hard questions and then leave the next day because they don't get the response (you put effort in and then boom, they are gone) because its demotivating.

This really sums it up.

Especially when the mindset/approach of people is the complete opposite of what the book, forum, MJ, and other successful members are all about.

And for the record I've worked with and helped a number of stay at home mums over the years, they are awesome!

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
I have always been an advocate of the philosophy "better to offer a kind word of incouragment or say nothing at all". We have all been at the cliff face of desperation. Unfortunately since the internet is now such a faceless entity in itself, perhaps a "Higher barrier to entry" would help us stop wasting our precious resource of time commenting on such frivolous matters here. If I want to be entertained I go play with my four year old. I have no doubt that some mechanism could be put in place here to insure potential entrepreneurs actually " got it" before being allowed to post any content.?...OK that's my four year old screaming. Perhaps he needs to be entertained lol.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Are you honestly saying that Kyle's response to the OP didn't send off your "a**hole/douchebag" meter? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't hire nor work with a guy who goes around on the internet saying how much better he is than a stay-at-home mom. That's pretty much low class anywhere in the business world, much less any world. Sure, we can compare ourselves to people who work at McDonald's too and those kids who grew up in the projects, but there is a reason why people don't do that.

I can't see for the life of me HOW and WHERE @Kyle Tully 's response-- said he was better than anyone else. From his website, I can tell he has his shit together and for the record, i've dealt with PLENTY of a**hole/douchebag idiots to know them when I see them.

I know folks who DO think they are better than others, I've seen them on this forum too. Do I make noise about it--no. I don't feel the need to. But really, when you turn up saying you want to copy success, it means you work your a$$ off WITH guidance. Kyle's original response is something I would have said..not because it's mean or because I'm standing up for him--simply because when you get to a certain level of zero tolerance of bullshit, you expect people to come correct at you.

When you stop being so butthurt about EVERYTHING people say to you Ms Queen Victoria, life gets easier. Men are much rougher than women, something you will learn if you choose to stick around. Yes, there are things men say that hurt and piss me off too--however you need to read the context of it.

Forum has a lot of noise, but a lot of hidden gems. You want to be that stay at home mum with cash to boot, in Business, it calls for a thick skin ;)

I wish you well and I wish you luck.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
When people seek any kind of guidance or help they've already faced many toxic people and been beaten down. They're looking for something better in life and role models and examples that take them to a better place whether it's love or money. Harshness is nice I suppose on some level. Just being around a lot of people myself they're tired of the bullshit, the toxic waste, the scams, the false messages people send.

This forum doesn't really make a lot of sense to me with some of the comments people make. Sure you want to put appropriate behaviors along with appropriate boundaries. I'm not sure standing everyone in side walk and slow lane and in line and firing away is really going to produce successful entrepreneurs. It reminds me of the civil war. You don't have the same mindset at the moment so let's get out the guns and blow you away.
Which leaves bullet wounds, and casualties. Breaks down self-esteem, self-confidence, and sends them away.

Strategic: You're creative, learn to reach people, meet them at their level. What works with the individual. Respect isn't created by disrespect. The whole problem with the world is segregation and separation. You're different so you must be the enemy. I need to kill you and dispose of you. It's a threat to my superiority and it is my job to make you inferior.

Inferior to say the least, to conform to control, manipulation, and again the whole purpose of the book was to give you freedom and to be released from self made prison's, barriers, and find a faster path to success. Someone comes expecting the same quality of information and at the front door shot in the knee. You could even say you're a parent, and because the child doesn't have the development, and growth you should shoot them in the knee because they're not at the same level or mindset as you, or hold the same belief system.

While there may be people that never make it, may not have the strength, the determination, the dedication, the discipline, is it necessary to even focus on who leaves, or decides it's not their path. Not everyone is meant to be a millionaire, and not everyone is cut out for it. It doesn't make them bad people because they choose to live the path they choose.

If you're expecting everyone to carry the same mindset, it usually doesn't happen. Business ethics do come into play. The best leaders in my life didn't shoot me down, they lifted me up and gave me legitimate sources and believed in the person I could become. If you believe people are not worthy to change, they will not change. If you believe they will remain failures they will remain failures. If all you can see is the enemy than this is what you will see an enemy.

The true enemy always lies within ourselves. The enemy is never out there no matter what side of the fence you're on. The response you give is what is being triggered in thyself. Your feelings towards another human being triggers something that needs to be worked out inside of yourself. You learn from customers who you are from their perspective. They learn who they are from your perspective. Usually you're just at the opposite end of the spectrum and mirroring what needs to be worked out inside of you.

If there is something you don't like about a person, you always have to ask why? What are they reflecting that you don't like about them, and you will always find out it's something you don't like about yourself. This is the thing about mindfulness. Being aware of what lesson you're learning in the moment.

It doesn't matter where we are in life, how much we know, how much we have obtained, there is always something to be learned. Kindness does go along way on both sides. We lack kindness in this world, love, and respect on all levels.

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB

If you had bothered to read TMF , you'd know that MJ makes his opinion of the 4HWW pretty clear. I'm not going to bother busting out my copy of the book to quote it directly (not for you, since you're trolling anyway and I highly doubt you care for a word-for-word quote) but it comes down to the fact that a real, successful business isn't something you just throw together and toy around with for 4 hours every week. It's something that takes real time and effort because you need to build value and - most importantly - ensure top-notch customer service if you want to stay in business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats @dreamer, I hope you're ready to work your a$$ off.

But that would require @dreamer to actually return to the board and accept the help that was offered. Looks like that ain't happening. And this is why we tend to ignore these types of posts-- people really don't want help if it comes attached with pain, work, or tough advice, they really just want someone to hand them a bag of cash and say "There ya go, now just take it to the bank."

I hope @dreamer returns-- @AndrewNC has come a long way and would be a great mentor.

G

GuestUser113

So it’s my DREAM to become a stay at home mom, and run my own successful online business. I’ve been involved with internet marketing for a little over 3 years, and have tried it ALL practically, but haven’t had any one method stick enough to make me more than a couple of bucks.

My main problem is that I’m constantly coming up with “new” and “better” ideas and starting new projects before I work on my current ones long enough to see results. I also struggle with getting traffic.

I’ve heard the time over and over “Copy Success. Copy what works”. So that’s what I’d like to do… if anyone has an online Fastlane business that they’d be willing to share with me and help me get to the level of success you’re at I’d be forever grateful. I think I would really benefit from having a mentor to keep me accountable and “on track”. Someone to slap me silly if I get any more ideas instead of sticking to the ones I already have.

Anyone up for the challenge? :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.