The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Networking. Talent or Skill?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Hi,
I've noticed that for some people networking is the easiest thing to do. A few friends of mine actually have fun, and enjoy each and every opportunity they have to network.
On the other hand, networking is something I don't enjoy. It's not that I am rude, solitary or anything like that. However, I read everywhere that networking is one of the most fundamental tools.
So, here's my question. Is Networking a talent or a skill? Can it be learned? How?
My opinion is that networking is a skill, but I have no clue how it can be learned and how to improve it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Networking is a skill. Liking people just helps. It can only be learned by putting yourself out there with practice.
In my case, since sometimes I don't play well with others, being very honest and sincere is a huge advantage.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I don't think anything in business is a talent.

Some people might be more suited towards entrepreneurship than others. Some do seem to drift towards a natural affinity. But if you look at any really successful entrepreneur, we can use MJ's story as an example but many others apply here, they weren't just "born with it" and started hitting homers their first time at bat. Everyone struggled to some extent.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
networking is something I don't enjoy
I used to hate going out to networking events.

Then I learned to meet people that I enjoyed meeting. I went to a meetup.com group the other week, that has NOTHING to do with business. It was a hiking group.

Someone there was a personal trainer from very successful people and I now I have someone famous writing for my magazine. During the conversation, 2 other people offered to write for me too.

I just went out to have fun and meet likeminded people.

Crawsfitz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 2, 2014
Austin, TX
In my journey, I went from a full-time job to freelance web development and marketing work. My full time job was in aerospace so I didn't know anyone or anything in my new line of work.

I'm seriously introverted and I used to say I hated meeting new people. First I noticed I didn't hate talking to people, I hated feeling like I didn't know what to say, like I didn't really know why I was there or what I wanted. That's a problem because it leads to assumptions and you get disappointed when they don't live up your assumptions and that's your fault.

So here's my take:

First
90% of networking is showing up. If you consistently show up and never talk to anyone, after time people will recognize you and feel more comfortable. They'll be like, "hey that guy hasn't tried to sell me real estate, insurance or financial planning services 73 times maybe he's cool." I find the 3rd time I go to a group I usually feel really comfortable because I know how the meetings flow, the agenda, I even remember some of the characters in the room (every group has them) and the room starts to feel more comfortable with you too.

Second
Have a plan. What I mean is, if you go to a WordPress meetup have a plan, whether it's to meet 2 people, or to find someone who knows SEO, or to just say hello to 3 strangers to get out of your shell a bit. Whatever it is, have a goal or as Tony Robbins would say, "Know your outcome" know what are you there to do, and do it.

Third
Shop around, some groups you get a warm feeling and others you don't, just keep trying, a lot of people carry over into more than one group too so be on the watch for that and never make any assumptions about the people you meet, the best networking connection I ever made was with a 74 year old woman, who I would have thought I had nothing in common with, but had been previously a CEO of a non-profit who dealt directly with Steve Jobs on several occasions in the 80s, she had over 6000 contacts and knew people in almost every walk of life imaginable.... She continues to this day to connect me with new clients and friends.

Ok now, not to get all MJ's Book on you but Networking is a process, its not an event. Stop imaging people show up, meet seven leads, close them the next day and buy a boat. People aren't doing that. It may look like it because you aren't meeting people as well, don't rush it just go to groups on topics you are interested in and ad value and you'll make friends. Most people are worried you are a pushy realtor, once they know you aren't they will warm up. (oh BTW if this applies to you, leave your phone in the car, people won't talk to you if you are staring at your phone)

Bonus points:
If you volunteer to help out at any of the groups they will take your slave labor in a heartbeat even if you don't know anything about Magento or whatever their group is about. You will meet the board or group organizers and you'll instantly have an elevated status and others who were previously too shy to talk to you will see you as someone important or of higher value and they will gravitate to you.

Go fourth and Network!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I just show up places and start talking to people about any subject. Usually you find people that you mesh with on some level. I've met a few people that have been published, on TV, and successful this way just be talking to random people. Homeland security was just weird, but you have no clue who you're talking to online or who they know. What leads they have towards your success. You don't have to be anyone special or say anything special just be yourself.

garysvpa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jul 23, 2014
Hi,
I've noticed that for some people networking is the easiest thing to do. A few friends of mine actually have fun, and enjoy each and every opportunity they have to network.
On the other hand, networking is something I don't enjoy. It's not that I am rude, solitary or anything like that. However, I read everywhere that networking is one of the most fundamental tools.
So, here's my question. Is Networking a talent or a skill? Can it be learned? How?
My opinion is that networking is a skill, but I have no clue how it can be learned and how to improve it.

Networking is a skill.

Be proactive and start conversations with others. Remember, you don't need to be the center of attention all the time.

Just be yourself
Use Positive Language
Balance the amount that you talk
Listen carefully, then ask open-ended questions

and the rest will fall into place.

Follow up with people you have met and connect on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.

Spend some time each week checking in with your network.

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
I used to hate going out to networking events.

Then I learned to meet people that I enjoyed meeting. I went to a meetup.com group the other week, that has NOTHING to do with business. It was a hiking group.

Someone there was a personal trainer from very successful people and I now I have someone famous writing for my magazine. During the conversation, 2 other people offered to write for me too.

I just went out to have fun and meet likeminded people.

Exactly. Don't take yourself so seriously. Go hang with people with similar interests. You'll be surprised at how many cool people you'll meet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.