The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$200 Per Week Online Passive Income...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
48 hours to finish a book!

I'm rootin for ya but, I just don't see anything quality being made in that time... I've spent 6 hours on a 1,000 word blog post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MR92K3C/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I don't want to rain down on your parade (please take this as constructive criticism as that is how it is intended) but I think your cover needs a lot of work and from the snippet I've read it seems hurriedly written as it lacks substance from the get go.

From the short section I can read you state no authority for your knowledge on the subject yet do not back up your statements with scientific proof, with reference to any specific academic bodies or case studies etc.. "Studies have shown.." what studies? Where?

If you stated that you are a qualified personal trainer with X number of years experience I would have a stronger reason to believe your writing but I (as a reader, and presumably a customer who has had to pay for the privilege) would still want more substantiation for your statements. Otherwise you run the danger of actually personifying the BroScience definition you are attempting to tear apart. i.e people reading this are getting advice from someone unqualified who is not backing up their statements with links to research papers or other evidence etc. to back up their conclusions.

I would be far more inclined to believe a long term body-builder I bumped into in the gym or my son (who so happens to be a fully qualified personal trainer and nutritionist and does it full time for a living).

I don't mean to shoot you down in flames, I just think you are likely to be very unsuccessful with this ebook in its current format (after all it is your first attempt) but there is a lot you can take from this as a learning experience so your next efforts are closer to the mark of what will sell.

There is a whole wealth of knowledge on this site from some amazing contributors on the subject of ebooks. People who are killing it in their field and in whose company I feel humbled to be able to soak up their wisdom. I, and many others too, have so much appreciation and gratitude for the gold that they have, and continue, to share. I would suggest you immerser yourself for a few weeks in those threads and don't rush things. Entrepreneurship is not a race. Although there are short-cuts you still have to pay your dues. You know what they say - 'Failing to plan is planning to fail'.

I guess this is a very long winded way of saying Don't get discouraged if this ebook doesn't meet with your financial exceptions. Analyse, draw conclusion, make plans on those conclusions and move on. Look forward to your next one.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
BroScience is usually spewed out in short sentences without evidence for why it works.

Example, "You must drink Protein right after your workout".

Your response to this 'myth' is basically just a no. You've got no information explaining why the above example is a myth except for 'countless studies on the internet'.

uwot

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Been a couple days since my last update, I have sold some books, I am about to start my second book and going to spend a bit more time on this book. I'm really going to market the next one hard! Stay tuned, $200 passive income per week by end of this month will happen.

Last edited:

GregK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 10, 2014
@Chase Bristow thanks for the progress thread and thanks to everyone else giving pointers. i am subscribing to this to see how things move along. ultimately getting off your a$$ is an accomplishment.

my book is a mess on google docs... getting pieced together at a rate slower than what the money it is generating o__O

D

Deleted17784

Good luck with this. I am considering publishing a book as well. Have you considered a blog? Build a site and write articles for free... Maybe shoot some youtube vids to drive more traffic. Then sell your books without giving Amazon a cut.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
I like this thread and am very interested to hear progress...

Started writing Aug 14th
Book Available for purchase Aug 16th?

First week of sales = $??

Great motivation, keep this up, build momentum, learn from every project and make your next one better.

Learn, commit, do, Learn, commit, do, Learn, commit, do

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Alright, so new update...it's been a while. The eBooks were not working out so I knew I had to find a better way to use my time to make money. Today I decided to go out on some local internet sites such as craigslist and stuff like that, and found an item. I contacted the guy and negiotated a low but fair price with him, and I went and bought the item. Once I got the item, I started posting it on quite a few local sites, and flipped it for profit within an hour. I'm quite good at marketing things locally. So basically, I made $150 profit in one hour of time. The profit would've been $350 (as that was an offer someone came at me with) but I rejected it because a family member informed me he wanted the item. Either way, it's still a good profit. I might start a different progress thread, as I think I could go quite far in this, what do you all think? I plan on making at least $100 every day by doing this type of work. Beats working 8 hours of minimum wage while you make someone else rich. I think if I did this 8 hours a day I could bring in some serious cash.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
This is a really good way to start bringing some cash in the door, but it's a lot of hard work, not very scalable and not fastlane.

Think about where you can source a product that you can sell consistently, and a way to market it that is more scalable.

Defo use the method you describe above to bring some money through the door in the meantime though, and build up a pot of cash that you can invest in something that has more long term potential.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Bought another item to flip today, could have made $50 profit but turned it down because i'm shooting for $75-100. Will try to sell it tomorrow.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Sold the item $80 profit. That's $230 profit in two days, easy money. Going to find another item to flip today. Should be able to make more soon once I get more money so I can flip more items at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Yesterday sold another item for $120 profit. Would have sold one the day before as well but I had my slowlane job to go to. Going to keep flipping items to create some money so I can fund future projects.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Going to try to flip something tomorrow If I can find a good deal but i'm going to start writing another eBook tonight. Going to really focus on this book and make it longer then my others with more quality content.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Despite the failed books, you bounced back, took the critiques, and kept running. I encourage you to keep trying with the books. I'm not published myself and I'm in the midst of working on two ebooks, but you basically came into it with no knowledge, and wrote a book, and got it published in 24 hours. That's awesome man.

Obviously the cover, description, and perhaps the content, all needs some work, but you accomplished it in a short time period, and actually got it on Amazon. Now that that process is clear for you, why not invest more time and perhaps small amounts of cash for editing, covers, etc. and just make a better book everytime? Your craigslist hustle is great, but the books are more of a long term strategy. Nothing is stopping you from doing both.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Despite the failed books, you bounced back, took the critiques, and kept running. I encourage you to keep trying with the books. I'm not published myself and I'm in the midst of working on two ebooks, but you basically came into it with no knowledge, and wrote a book, and got it published in 24 hours. That's awesome man.

Obviously the cover, description, and perhaps the content, all needs some work, but you accomplished it in a short time period, and actually got it on Amazon. Now that that process is clear for you, why not invest more time and perhaps small amounts of cash for editing, covers, etc. and just make a better book everytime? Your craigslist hustle is great, but the books are more of a long term strategy. Nothing is stopping you from doing both.
For sure, i'm going to keep doing both. The thing with the flipping strategy is it's not really sustainable or scale-able, but it's good for a quick buck. I'm really thinking of flipping a car, higher risk but higher reward as well...hmm..

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Once you have a couple of bucks look into selling source code via my PM. You can make money and it's def more scalable than flipping physical items.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm really thinking of flipping a car, higher risk but higher reward as well...hmm..

Okay I've got a bit of experience with this, here are some things you should know beforehand-
  • You REALLY need to know your shit when you go look at a car. Google any common problems for that make/model/year/trim before you go meet the seller. If the car is a Nissan, go browse Nissan forums and read up. Ask them directly what work was done for the car (this will help you when you resell as well.) If there are no receipts, assume it was not done.
  • Assume that the seller is lying about the condition of the car. Always assume this. I once went to look at one, and the seller had failed to mention in his ad that the driver's door didn't open..... HMMMMMM, don't you think that's something I would notice on a test drive when I had to climb over the center console? But some sellers will do anything to get you to show up with cash.
  • Listen for noises on the test drive, look underneath for rust, etc. The standard used car buying stuff. But also make sure you test out EVERY single feature on the car. If that car has a button, press it and make sure it's doing what it should. Every button that doesn't work is more bargaining power.
  • It varies by area of course, but from my experience, it's a LOT harder to find running cars listed for <$1500. Of course, you can buy a $2000 car by showing up with $1300 in cash, so that doesn't mean you can't obtain a car for that cheap. But it's hard to find a good, running, inspected car in the $1-1.5k range.
  • Stick with domestic and Japanese cars. I love German cars, in fact, they are some of the only cars I enjoy. But this is about making money, and often times German cars will quickly become money pits. If you need to fix up anything on the car, American/Japanese will be cheaper. Also there's a higher demand for Hondas/Toyotas because people associate them with reliability. So you're more likely to sell them for your asking price. Stay away from Korean cars. Hyundai/KIA may be nicer now, but any 90s-early 2000s ones you find are unreliable shitboxes.
  • Don't buy something that you can't run and drive. Unless you have mechanic experience, just avoid that. Me, I can do basic shit (oil, filters, spark plugs, brakes, suspension work, etc.) but a transmission or engine swap is way over my head. I don't know what your skill level is, but just be honest with yourself.
  • Cash talks, but you already know that.

karakoram

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 9, 2011
San Antonio, TX
If a car needs a Tranny or engine swap then pass. Its simply not worth the time/effort/expense if you are trying to flip cars for a profit. Be careful of local laws. In my state, you can sell only 3 cars per year before you have to register as a car dealer. http://www.dmvnv.com/regprivate.htm

Mowbetta

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 18, 2014
That's actually a really great idea for a book. Chapters could be about-how to negotiate as a buyer and as a seller.
How to locate items that are underpriced.
How to market items etc.
Lots of people are into the social media resell sights and Craigslist these days so it might have lots of potintial buyers.

~Phil

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 3, 2014
Philly Suburbs
I'm really thinking of flipping a car, higher risk but higher reward as well...hmm..

For the BEST flips, find people selling good cars but with PEOPLE problems (divorce, inherited the car, etc). They usually want to sell quick so they'll be more likely to bargin.

Years ago my dad and I got an awesome rental property this way. Seller actually approached us asking if we wanted to buy her row home as she was about to lose it to the bank. All she wanted was some money in her pocket and to get rid of the home. Was a win win situation. She got her money and we got a great rental property.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The thing with the flipping strategy is it's not really sustainable or scale-able, but it's good for a quick buck.

Actually it is in a derivative fashion.

Learn how to get it down to a SCIENCE and then write the book someone mentioned a few posts before... "5 Days to $500 bucks on Craigslist" -- that book is SCALABLE. And EVERYONE loves to make a little extra money. Why do you think MLM'ers use the phrase "What would you do with an extra $500/mo?"

Saiful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Dec 31, 2017
Chattogram, Bangladesh
Money chasers are chasing money...

Stop chasing money, start chasing need.

My advice to aspiring business owners
is this: Quit looking around for money-
making opportunities -- instead, look
around outside of yourself, stop being
selfish, and help your fellow man solve
their problems.

GOLD! - Do You Have A Successful Entrepreneurial Premise?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.