The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Road to Success is Paved Alone - Entrepreneurial Depression

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I was thinking about this during my workout and thought I would post here to see what other Fastlaners think about this topic.

An Entrepreneur, by it's very definition, is someone who goes against the grain and takes risks. People are naturally risk adverse and generally follow the path of least resistance. As such, the life of an Entrepreneur can quickly lead to feeling alone. As "normal" people simply won't be able to understand your risk-seeking lifestyle and your "abnormal" view on the world.

When one truly takes up an entrepreneurial lifestyle and changes their life to start working toward their financial dreams, it's not uncommon to find yourself drifting away from friends and acquaintances whose slowlane mentality doesn't match your changing lifestyle. This can quickly lead to social isolation, loneliness and depression.

Have you experienced this?
How has it affected you?
How have you handled it?

Next, Entrepreneurs have to be naive optimists in order to succeed. We will sit and work on projects for months or even years without seeing any real, tangible results, and we're supposed to keep the faith and never give up. Obviously, during this time, thoughts of doubt and "Maybe this really isn't going to work" will take their shots at you on a regular basis. During this growth phase, the process phase, Entrepreneurs can go through more emotional highs and lows than high-rolling, gambling addict. This emotional roller-coaster can lead to some intense depression during the low points.

Have you quit projects too early because of these low points?
How have you handled these low points in your journey?

Interested to see what replies this topic might bring. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I was thinking about this during my workout and thought I would post here to see what other Fastlaners think about this topic.

An Entrepreneur, by it's very definition, is someone who goes against the grain and takes risks. People are naturally risk adverse and generally follow the path of least resistance. As such, the life of an Entrepreneur can quickly lead to feeling alone. As "normal" people simply won't be able to understand your risk-seeking lifestyle and your "abnormal" view on the world.

When one truly takes up an entrepreneurial lifestyle and changes their life to start working toward their financial dreams, it's not uncommon to find yourself drifting away from friends and acquaintances whose slowlane mentality doesn't match your changing lifestyle. This can quickly lead to social isolation, loneliness and depression.

Have you experienced this?
How has it affected you?
How have you handled it?

I have a lot of pent up rage on the subject. I don't like to complain (pointless) but I'll take this opportunity to let off some steam.

I don't think entrepreneurs are risk seeking people. I think entrepreneurs are risk averse.

To me, it's risky to rely on a job. To me, it's risky to have fun now... and cross your fingers for the future. For me, the stock market and traditional investments are too risky due to the inherent lack of control.

I think that's the loneliest part. The people around me don't see their lifestyle as risky... and I do. They tell me MY lifestyle is insane.. it's like they're blind to the way things so apparently REALLY work.

I only have one friend, my girlfriend of 4 years... she's working her a$$ off just like me to make our dreams come true.

My previous best friend would rather drink and compain than move towards a goal. I've drifted away from him. My college friends are a bit closer because they're all also trying to build something... but they're 'waiting' on grants, donations, etc instead of making their own money... so we frequently get into arguments.

I see all my old friends as LOSERS who keep themselves from working too hard because "what's the point". They're all clinging to their jobs because they're not very hard. Meanwhile, they call ME lazy for not having a job! I do more work in a week than they've done their entire life. I don't take breaks unless I'm rewarding myself for results. I don't watch TV unless it's while I'm doing a menial thoughtless work related task.

Of course it becomes lonely.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Next, Entrepreneurs have to be naive optimists in order to succeed. We will sit and work on projects for months or even years without seeing any real, tangible results, and we're supposed to keep the faith and never give up. Obviously, during this time, thoughts of doubt and "Maybe this really isn't going to work" will take their shots at you on a regular basis. During this growth phase, the process phase, Entrepreneurs can go through more emotional highs and lows than high-rolling, gambling addict. This emotional roller-coaster can lead to some intense depression during the low points.

Have you quit projects too early because of these low points?
How have you handled these low points in your journey?

Interested to see what replies this topic might bring. Thanks.

Def. given up on quite a few projects because I wasn't seeing results fast enough. I think many were mistakes on my part for giving up, but I think many more were mistakes on my part for STARTING. If something doesn't "feel right" i've learned it's not for me.

My most recent project (Castleforge) I'm actually GOOD at. I'm immediately good at it, I get excited about it, I get other people excited about it, I provide value, and everything just seems to CLICK. This is what I'm supposed to be doing right now.

My other projects never felt like this, not even that initial surge of optimism felt this good. I feel like I've found my place.. and if I didn't go through the other failures I wouldn't have known this was the one.

(note: if I had just pushed through with the other projects, I would have made money.... but I don't think I would have provided much value, been this good, or done this much work this quickly. It would have been successful but terribly inefficient. )

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Entrepreneurship is ALL about connecting with others.

So, it's not as lonely as you think. You just merely interact with the wrong crowd.

As a huge introvert, I find this new way of life REALLY challenging for me because of this reason.

After all, selling requires human interaction and I'm not so good at it.

Oftentimes, you will find that 66% of the people either doesn't care about you or will actively dislike you. Right here, you'll quickly find out that odds are stacked against you. However, you'll also have those 33%'ers that will connect with you in a positive way. You can invest your energy in caring that people doesn't like you or really don't care about you or invest your energy in interacting with those who are interested in you. Your pick.

When people doesn't like or don't care about my ideas/stuff/whatever, that's ok with me.

When people like or are interested in my ideas/stuff/whatever then cool.

When it boils down to it though, it's all about picking yourself. And when you pick yourself, you give yourself (not anyone else) all the power.

So pick yourself to interact with people that will embrace your ideas.

D

DeletedUser9

I don't think entrepreneurs are risk seeking people. I think entrepreneurs are risk averse.

This isn't true, its all about risk. You could spend 10 years trying to build a successful business and end up with nothing or even worse a mountain of debt, a soiled reputation and an embarrassment to your friends and family.

If you go to law school and study you will probably become a lawyer and earn a living when you start your career.

In entrepreneurship you risk your money (and sometimes others), your reputation/bankruptcy and most importantly your time.

How can you call an entrepreneur risk averse ?

I see all my old friends as LOSERS

You shouldn't think this way, thats like thinking all fat people should be friends with each other and avoid people in shape.

But it's true, the road to wealth is a long and lonely one, paved with obstacles where the people walk in single file.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
This isn't true, its all about risk. You could spend 10 years trying to build a successful business and end up with nothing or even worse a mountain of debt, a soiled reputation and an embarrassment to your friends and family.

If you go to law school and study you will probably become a lawyer and earn a living when you start your career.

In entrepreneurship you risk your money (and sometimes others), your reputation/bankruptcy and most importantly your time.

How can you call an entrepreneur risk averse ?

As an entrepreneur you can lose everything in the following ways:
-your skills can fail you
-your employees can fail you
-your industry can fail you
-your market fails you

As an employee, you can lose everything in the following ways:
-your skills fail you
-your coworkers fail you
-your industry fails you
-your market fails you
-your employer fails you
-your manager fails you

As an entrepreneur, every single one of those things are 100% on your head. If you hire the right employees and lead the right way, they will not fail you. If your industry crashes you can chose another one, or you can be smart and pick the right one straight away. If your market stops buying you can change tactics, release a better product, whatever. You have 100% control of everything, your fate is in your hands. It's not luck based it's skill based.

If you're an employee, you have all the same worries about the company you're working in failing, but you have no control. You have to trust the people above you to make the right hiring choices, market correctly, react to market conditions correctly, and that's on top of making sure you're skills are up to par. You're placing your future well being completely out of your hands. that's the definition of risk.

Law school risks your money, your reputation, your time, your FUTURE MORE than becoming an entreprenuer, IMO.

To me, entrepreneurship isn't about risking it all for the big reward.. I'm living this life because it's the only thing that makes sense and to me, any I fee like I'd be stupid not to run in this direction.

GENT3861

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2012
Springfield, Massachusetts
I agree it's lonely, and I sometimes think some of my friends are losers as well, but then I realize that they can give me an invaluable resource, They are the slow lane and the general public. I can look at them and see what the current trends are and be objective about it. They are still my friends but they are also like walking surveys. Anytime I have a question I can bring it to them and gauge how it would work. I have done that with the computer business I have and on the rare occasion I flip something I can look at them and see what a good price point is. They are a pain sometimes because they think I am nuts for hating office work and life but that doesn't mean they are losers. I do apologize for the rant. But I think if we are always friends with people exactly like us then we are missing out.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
So far I have found it to be increasingly lonely with a light at the end of the tunnel. I have been finding it is getting harder to relate to people that I once could. Part of this I believe to be the fact that I am now living in the complete wrong place, which I will be changing depending on the outcome of my business.

The silver lining is that I usually get along with other entrepreneurs very well and as I continue on this path I am increasingly meeting others who share the same views across a number of different industries. Some of which I will hopefully be collaborating with in the future. I guess my best advice is to start learning to enjoy doing things alone, and get out there and start doing some business, you might be surprised on the people you meet.

Also this forum has been really great to me.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Without a doubt the road less traveled is lonely and one can feel isolated at times. It helps to take a break when you feel like this, business can wait but see some friends and be social, exercise, meditate, take a walk etc. Then next time you are working you can attack it with a vengeance. A self made business is going to be a lot more lonely at first than one started with partners. I think we have all had cases of biz related depression, cases of the what ifs and various worries etc.

I think if it were easy than everyone would be doing it. I find when I talk with successful entrepreneurs there is always talk of how hard it is at first. If you believe in your idea, keep going. A great book for diagnosing possible pivot points is The Lean Startup by Eric Reiss.

At the end of the day I don't think there is an easy answer for everyone as personalities and businesses have many variables. I for one can sure acknowledge that it is a rough road at times.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Yea it's a lonely road and I'm F*cking lonely now with virtually NO REAL FRIENDS only on the F*cking internet maybe. one in real life who is not a sucker friend but the road is A LOT better than comprimising your values so that you can take the easy way out and fall into peer pressure....

but why listen to morrons??, listen to conventional wisdom??? and hanging around stupid people with no ambition, no dreams, "normal people"? boring people? average people?

F*ck that as KAK would say
"This is why I don't like most people my age. For the most part they are shitheads that want to swing dicks about their sexual conquests and talk about how hammered they got last friday. Count me in... not... F*cking losers."

(not that I agree with him on the chick part ;) )
but I hate F*cking people who only want to be F*cking "NORMAL" "AVERAGE"?? just drinking friday, saturday and sunday? and then slaving away the other five days.....

It's so F*cking common all the clubs in Copenhagen are F*cking swirlign around with people on friday, saturday (maybe sunday) but the "work days" there are nobody... a lot of people are living for the weekend.....

It's funny my brother made this joke "you drink because you "worked hard" you need to relax to take a break and then repeat. I say F*ck that....

My own goal is that in the future I will ONLY have high performance friends with ambitions, people who don't annoy me, people who respect me, entrepreneurs, smart people.

By getting an AWESOME social circle, aka a great "support system" you can always support each other in life when slowlaners, sidewalkers, negative people, average people try to attack you you always have you'r REAL friends behind your back who's ready to support you. Suddenly "the road to success" won't be as lonely!

I really believe if you meet up with a lot of positive people (perhaps more successful than you in whatever arear it is ( social, fitness, entrepreneurialism) you will be a lot more motivated in life to do something.

It is possible to go through the road all alone BUT why not have an awesome support system at the same time it's so much easier and you're less likely to be lazy or fail...???

For me the fastlane is not all about money, business, working but also improve your life in all areas? dating, fitness, travelling?, reading books, educating yourself in whatever that interest you? and not be forced by some dumb teacher to learn a topic you're likely not interessted in?? F*ck that

but I believe it's not enough to hang around entrepreneurial forums etc.
you should also meetup in REAL LIFE :)

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Ticalis,

At your age - 19, people are still teenagers. Excessive drinking, drug use, hookups etc. are very common. Not many people have a mature mentality at that age and it is important to realize not everyone shares the fastlane paradigm. I do agree with you about the rather pointless nature of working for someone else's passions 5 days a week to trade it for 2 days of inebriation. I think sometimes on this forum we are too quick to judge what we deem slowlaners or side walkers. The bottom line is not everyone has the motivation or talent to go it on their own.

I do think it is important to have a positive social circle and many health professionals support this. If you have trouble identifying with your fellow peers, try joining a sport club as I bet you will find yourself surrounded by similar minded people. One of the first things I noticed when joining a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym is that most people don't drink or do so minimally. They are more in tune with their bodies and minds and appreciate nature, education, entrepreneurship etc. Perhaps you should consider something like this.

I completely agree with you on the benefits of self education, fitness and entrepreneurship. When first beginning my water pipe business I was working around 80 hours a week, it definetly wasnt healthy but it helped me get the biz moving. Although balance is rather elusive, I'd recommend trying to find some sort of it. I feel us humans perform optimally when we have a solid work life balance. I'm trying to not talk out of my a$$ here, I have a graduate degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology which is the psychology of work and human performance.

*Note* I have "slowlane" friends and "sidewalk" friends as well. Pretty much all of them support my business and understand when I can't go out or spend money because I have business endeavors. A lot of people are pieces of shit who only care about the 9-5 and boozin heavy. Many of my friends are very educated, pretty laid back and have their own unique ideas about living a positive life. When I was your age I was in a fraternity and needless to say most people including myself lived for the weekends and partying. In a few years you will see lots of people around you mature for better or worse lol. For some this is getting a soul crushing 9-5, marrying a bitchy wife and spawning more pieces of shit. For others the path may be different...

I guess my advice is to stay positive and surround yourself by positivity and people that make you happy, regardless if they share the fastlane mentality it can help to have some variation in buddies wether it's fastlane, slowlane, sidewalk.

MonsieurLight

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
May 22, 2013
Talking about depression and lack of motivation here is a Zig Ziglar quote :

“Motivation is like showering. The effects are not long term – but that’s why it’s recommended that you do it daily”

And like MJ said you have to keep changing oil by learning every day.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I have a lot of pent up rage on the subject. I don't like to complain (pointless) but I'll take this opportunity to let off some steam.

To me, it's risky to rely on a job. To me, it's risky to have fun now... and cross your fingers for the future. For me, the stock market and traditional investments are too risky due to the inherent lack of control.

I think that's the loneliest part. The people around me don't see their lifestyle as risky... and I do. They tell me MY lifestyle is insane.. it's like they're blind to the way things so apparently REALLY work.

I only have one friend, my girlfriend of 4 years... she's working her a$$ off just like me to make our dreams come true.

My previous best friend would rather drink and compain than move towards a goal. I've drifted away from him. My college friends are a bit closer because they're all also trying to build something... but they're 'waiting' on grants, donations, etc instead of making their own money... so we frequently get into arguments.

I see all my old friends as LOSERS who keep themselves from working too hard because "what's the point". They're all clinging to their jobs because they're not very hard. Meanwhile, they call ME lazy for not having a job! I do more work in a week than they've done their entire life. I don't take breaks unless I'm rewarding myself for results. I don't watch TV unless it's while I'm doing a menial thoughtless work related task.

Of course it becomes lonely.

I needed to read this today! Thank you :)

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Have you experienced this? - Yes
How has it affected you? - Absolutely, but it puts things into perspective and makes you more grateful to hang out with your friends. When you're with them every night and not doing something productive, it loses its value.
How have you handled it? - Doesn't bother me at all. They sacrafice aspects of their social life to do college work, so how is mine any different? I used to have friends that belittled me, as if I didn't know what college meant, but now I have friends who understand that to me, what I do is important.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
As an entrepreneur you can lose everything in the following ways:
-your skills can fail you
-your employees can fail you
-your industry can fail you
-your market fails you

As an employee, you can lose everything in the following ways:
-your skills fail you
-your coworkers fail you
-your industry fails you
-your market fails you
-your employer fails you
-your manager fails you

As an entrepreneur, every single one of those things are 100% on your head. If you hire the right employees and lead the right way, they will not fail you. If your industry crashes you can chose another one, or you can be smart and pick the right one straight away. If your market stops buying you can change tactics, release a better product, whatever. You have 100% control of everything, your fate is in your hands. It's not luck based it's skill based.

If you're an employee, you have all the same worries about the company you're working in failing, but you have no control. You have to trust the people above you to make the right hiring choices, market correctly, react to market conditions correctly, and that's on top of making sure you're skills are up to par. You're placing your future well being completely out of your hands. that's the definition of risk.

Law school risks your money, your reputation, your time, your FUTURE MORE than becoming an entreprenuer, IMO.

To me, entrepreneurship isn't about risking it all for the big reward.. I'm living this life because it's the only thing that makes sense and to me, any I fee like I'd be stupid not to run in this direction.
I agree - Having spent many years in the "corporate management world" that so many aspire to. I have witnessed how scared people are every day - You constantly hear people say things like "We want to buy a house, but who knows if the bean counters will close our department without notice, at any time" etc. And this does happen daily to large companies. I've seen may colleagues within the industry be out of work with no prior warning, or even signs there was any issue - Their company just decided to cut heads and even though some of these were upper management, they had no clue as to what was coming.
At least as an entrepreneur most of the time you can see issues coming e.g. have a hundred customers spending $... per customer on average and this gives you $... for break even, EBITDA, or whatever and you loose 10 of them, then you know you need to replace those 10 to get back on track. Plus, isolate and hopefully resolve the issue that led to them leaving. Point being, if you have your finger on the pulse, you should at least be able to see the writing on the wall and re-steer the ship, or start making contingency plans.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I was struggling with these loneliness and depression even before I became an entrepreneur.

Actually though, becoming an entrepreneur helped get me out of it, because it gave me a goal that I was really excited for.
But earlier on, I couldn't stick to one business idea. I would constantly have a new plan, and I couldn't figure out how to start it, and I ending up depleting most of my savings. This made me go into depression again.

How I got out of it though, I realized that no matter what I've gone through, I've been able to get through it. It was hard because at this point I didn't even have a business plan in mind. Once I was so broke, that I only had about $15 on me. a few days later, I received $2500 for something I did about 3 months ago, AND realized the whole time that I had a savings account that I didn't know about lol.
But I realized that the pain won't last forever, and I will get through it. A few months ago, I got involved in not one, but TWO business ventures. They're solid plans now, and I have something to be dedicated towards.

I used to think that this might not work out, but not so much anymore. I used to be a naive optimist as you say, but I would call myself a pragmatic optimist now. I believe strongly in something, but I have a detailed plan to follow through.

And yes, I've quit many "ideas," but they weren't really businesses, so I feel no sense of grief.

Some tips if I may offer:
  1. Understand that humans are social creatures and we're conditioned to do what our group does. Because most of society follows the 9-5 route, of course we will feel like the outcast when we stray from the pack and do something different. And those who stray from the pack are at higher risk for depression, so it's not really unusual. But remember, if you find success with your fastlane route, it will be better for everyone who's close to you, correct?
  2. Find people with the same ambitions as you. You won't feel as alone when fellow entrepreneurs get you.
  3. Read about famous entrepreneurs who felt similar to you. Elon Musk had no friends, barely any money, and lived in an office space while he was creating his first startup. You're in good company.
  4. Visualize your life when you succeed, and focus on the end result. Remember how much MJ struggled early on when everyone turned their backs on him?

Best of luck to you bro, you'll be just fine :D

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I'm a loner at heart so I could do this all day with no outside interaction and it really wouldn't bother me, but I'm lucky to have a partner who now has the same entrepreneur mindset as I do. Well, I had to push it on her through repeated reinforcement, she still thinks a little "slowlaney" sometimes, but we're working on it.

You need a lot of passion for what you're doing because its so hard. Without passion, any rational person would give up.
So if youre not having fun doing it, if you dont absolutely love it, youre going to give up.
And thats what happens to most people, actually.
If you look at the ones that ended up being successful in the eyes of society, often times its the ones who love what they do, so they could persevere when it got really tough.
And the ones that didnt love it, quit. Because theyre sane, right?
Who would put up with this stuff if you dont love it?
So its a lot of hard work and its a lot of worrying constantly.
If you dont love it, youre going to fail.

I think there's massive confusion on entrepreneurship...being an entrepreneur sucks. It's lonely, it's high risk...I can't live without it, but it's like a bad boyfriend or girlfriend...

Last edited:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I'll touch on this briefly.

In my experience, I never experienced any depression WHATSOEVER so long as I was plugging away, scheming, plotting, strategizing, or moving mountains. Now, when I went belly up earlier this year, the Hell known as reality became ever apparent and forced me into retreat. During that time I thought back on WHY I failed, why things happened the way they did, and how I could leverage those experiences to my own personal advantage. I spent a lot of money, I tried a TON of different things, and what it boiled down to was I spread my self far too thin given the amount of resources, time, and capital (including credit lines) I had available.

Point being, I burned through my savings, my credit lines, everything. I wanted to see what I could do with what I had as fast as I possibly could. I found out. Now, about 6 months later, things have improved dramatically. Never will I say I'm where I want to be, but I am out of the hole and things are set to launch in a very interesting way. I have tried the whole "do it 100% on your own" way, and it didn't work out. Reason being I would always run out of resources. Now, my thoughts are to hell with that.

Why try to create a fire with two wet sticks when you can ignite rocket fuel with blow torch?

Conclusion:

There are highs and lows in this game. Even if you lose it all, just rebound 1000x times harder than your fall.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I see all my old friends as LOSERS who keep themselves from working too hard because "what's the point"

I've seen on this forum, a lot of people automatically pair slowlaners with losers, or slackers, or unmotivated- when that really is not the case. I have 2 older sisters, both of them have slowlane jobs. My 23 year old sister is a 5th grade teacher, she graduated number one at her university, has college debt, her salary is small- but she is happy. Teaching was what she always wanted to do, and she set a goal and she achieved it. My 25 year old sister works at a consulting firm- way better off than my sister who is a teacher, but still works long hours, has to report to managers and bosses, but that is what makes her happy.

For me, being an entrepreneur is my dream and it is what makes me happy- but not everyone has the desire to be an entrepreneur, not everyone wants to own a business, and the fact of the matter is not everyone cares about money. My sister (the teacher) could care less if she made a million dollars or $30,000, as long as she can support herself she is fine.

I always see people on here post about trying to surround themselves with like minded people who have a fastlane mentality, but I think what is more important than that is to just surround yourself with people who have goals (even if those goals are slowlane), people who are happy and who don't complain, and people who support you. I have 3 best friends who I spend almost all of my free time with, and I can almost guarantee you that not one of them will ever be fastlane, but that's okay.

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
Hey guys, I want to add something here in case anyone is going through something similar, and I also want to post this to relieve the guilt that has been eating me the last few days.

The last 5 years of my life have been dedicated towards entrepreneurship, and the last 2 years have been more serious about it.

Almost not going out, not seeing my friends in months, almost breaking up with my girlfriend several times, I stopped playing sports, I didn't liked to be with people with slowlane mentality (almost everyone), in resume, I really became an introvert who only cared about having success in whatever thing I was working.

I blindly believed and followed the advice's of every person that said something like "You need to work every second of the day to reach your goals", I still think that's true, but what they didn't said, and what I didn't thought about, is that you also needs breaks every now and then.

I'm not saying that the previous advice is bad, right now I have an office and a team and we are currently working and creating something beautiful, none of those things existed 2 years ago.

Even with that "success" I regret not taking days off, I regret not going out in the last 2 years, I regret losing friends and probably losing a lot of future friends that I didn't even had the chance to meet, I regret spending so much time becoming the lonely guy that I'm today.

Burnout phase, I think I'm right there. I'm also sure this could have been easily avoided.

I have just read something that MJ posted that said something like "I regret not going out more when I was in college/when I was younger", he is right.

Last edited:
G

Guest34764

Try finding a kid in Highschool that shares your ideals with you.

I hope one day in school I can meet someone who shares my goals and ambitions, I want to be best friends with that guy or girl.

It's cool knowing I have fellow brothers and sisters on here, but digital communication only goes so far, I'd really like to meet a kid like that in person.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Entrepreneurial depression is something that doesn't get talked about enough.

And looking through this thread - I'm assuming that the sadness got to a lot of people (judging by how few active accounts there are).

I hope one day in school I can meet someone who shares my goals and ambitions, I want to be best friends with that guy or girl.

It's cool knowing I have fellow brothers and sisters on here, but digital communication only goes so far, I'd really like to meet a kid like that in person.

@Omega, The second you hit college (if you go), join an entrepreneurship club, and any club that has goal-oriented individuals that you're interested in. You'll hopefully find one or two people in there that you'll click with instantly.

And I also see where you're coming from. I was the same way in high school. The only "entrepreneurs" in high school were drug dealers and criminals -- far from what I wanted to be; so I invested my time in online forums.

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile

I have 20 and I'm in college though (not really in college because I took an infinite gap year) ...

But I get what you are saying, thanks!

I find it difficult to find anyone with my level commitment, they all just kinda want it. The only places where I have "met" people with my same mentality is this forum and other special places.

I have tried with college and similar stuff, but in my most humble opinion, I think most of them are wantrepreneurs and all they want to do is talk about future successes. Maybe, if it wasn't for this forum and other places where I try to learn and get value, I would probably be like them.

Edit: I dont want to sound cocky with my reply or anything like that, its just my experience in my country.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.