The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Being scared, everyday.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Hello everyone,
Although this is not my first post I would like to introduce myself.
First things first. I am obviously a slowlaner who is looking outside of the window and admires a lot of the people on the fastlane. I recently decided to steer to the left. I apologize for the long post.
A Brief History of my Universe:
I was born in Europe thirty-two years ago, I have no real college degree, but a lot of working experience in the Aerospace industry, especially in engineering, working mostly on experimental aircrafts. I began working for a big aerospace firm when I was twenty, moved to the US, began working to a different big aerospace firm. My tasks were deemed critical, I was doing a lot of overtime, the products were pretty cool to work on.
September 2013 arrives and on the same day my supervisor assigned me more critical tasks I receive the pink slip by my supervisor’s boss (a dude that had no interest on what I was doing). Then the job search began. As a father of two, and a person who liked a nice salaried job, it wasn’t easy. Yet, after the first initial traumas, I was able to do some introspection and learn a few things about the Game of Life. And myself. FYI, I also used the time off to do some volunteering, which helped me greatly in putting things in perspective. I also learnt that 401(k) is a legalized scam.
On February 2014 I finally got a job, the day job I currently have. It’s a government job, absolutely not challenging, and I am underpaid. I dread coming to work every single morning.
Some of the lessons:
As I mentioned, what happened in September 2013 was a key learning moment. In brief, I understood that job safety is a myth. Of the worst kind. The game is hidden to most of the eyes. Being employed carries the same safety of opening a business, with the only difference of the immediate cash flow (aka salary). In a company, no one is safe and if you think that it’s the quality of your job that matters, you are wrong. It doesn’t. My company had a great year, I was working on critical projects, I was appreciated by my direct supervisors. The pink slip I received also caused a two/three month delay on the project I was working on, for a cost as much as twice as my yearly salary. In addition, the dude that “let me go” (what an idiotic term!) said that my professional record was impeccable. In other words: “though luck, I just don’t like you, but if you want you can blame an ethereal decisional system”.
Another lesson is that no matter what, if you are employed you gotta live like you’re going to starve soon. I spent way too much, depleted my checking account in restaurant, Starbucks, and useless stuff. Nothing really fancy, but small expensive that accrued can make the difference.
Third lesson… 401k is a scam. As soon as you need the money, you will have to pay taxes and a fee. For your money! And if you’re not vested you even lose the company’s matched amount. In other words, do not listen to financial advisors.
Current status:
My job pays $2000 every two weeks, I have $13000 in my savings, credit cards almost paid off, mortgage to pay. I feel humiliated.
Plans (in general):
I want to reach a million dollar in my yearly revenues, and then never go under that amount.
A First Epiphany:
As it might sound stupid, I always loved pulp fiction (not the movie, the genre). And I always wanted to be a writer. The pulp writers motto was “be prolific or starve”. I realized – thanks to this forum – that the pulp era is still here, and can make you some good money. It’s e-publishing, it’s Amazon Kindle. Now I have to be a prolific writer, or starve. I can try to live one of my dreams. The odds of making a decent living out of it are low, but yet what do I have to lose?
The first actions I took:
I can talk all day and take no action. As an introvert, I decided that I had to go outside of my comfort zone. Here are my first baby steps.
- Read business literature. As a booklover, I read both for pleasure and for information. I don’t believe that business can be learned from books, but they are important to understand some concepts and learn some terminology.
- Start writing. As I said, I wanted to write so now I write.
- Submit/Publish. To get money, I have to submit and/or publish. I think that this is the hardest step for any aspiring writer. I decided to submit a short story to a famous magazine. I know that my chances of publication are slimmer than a photoshopped model, but this step is PIVOTAL to get out of a mental bubble. And let me tell you, if I receive a rejection letter I will celebrate the fact that I went where most aspiring writers never been before. In addition, I plan to release my first Kindle story (5k to 10k words) next week, under a pen name.
- Invest $10.000 in the stock market, buying Apple stocks. Reason? I need to get away from the fear of losing. $10.000 are nothing , and if I don’t even try to make a few bucks they will be spent (lost) anyways in other crap.
- SAVE. Each cent counts. F-off DirectTV, f-off T-Mobile (reduced my data limit), f-off buying things I don’t need (see next bullet).
- The Hardest Step. As I said I am a book lover. My house had literally hundreds of books. You read it well. HAD. I boxed a good 50% of them, and sold them. I made more than I expected. I don’t like having to sell books, but I noticed that most of the books were either unread or unused (will not read). And most of them are available free of charge at the Library. It was HARD guys, like selling a kidney. But I did it, and I moved forward.
Fears:
Hand in hand to any endeavors there is fear. The uncharted territory is always feared, the unknown beasts are always scary. Yet, they might bring opportunity. I realize now that I will lose everything if I don’t try new things. Being employed is no more a thing I look forward to (btw I am not irrational, I won’t quit today; I need some cash flow for a few weeks at least).
However there is one thing that makes me more afraid of anything else.
Watching the sidewalk, everyday:
I work at a Public Library. Every single day I see something scary. Very scary. Being at a library means surrounded by the masters such as Poe, Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, Dante. Right?
No.
Being at a library means that every day I see people coming in doing nothing. Literally nothing. Young kids come here at 9am, use public computers to play videogames or stay on Facebook until 5pm. Middle aged guys come here and play solitaire. Other people just waste time. Not a book in their hand. Ever. Not an informative website is browsed. Ever. A good chunk of them are regulars, here daily. They have more knowledge available here than what they could find at a course at Yale. They don’t use it. They don’t have the slightest curiosity. They just gave up on life.
I don’t want to be like them. I’d rather die.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ebms

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
May 27, 2014
British Columbia
Welcome to the forums Writer! With your skills I'm sure you'll do well. I recommend starting a progress thread for the extra accountability and so you can track your action

Djchrist15

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 23, 2014
You already took a brave step in introducing yourself. I am introverted too, so I totally know how you feel. It sounds like you have a good plan going to don't let anyone get you down. You can do it! :)

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
Hi there fellow introvert ;)

I can feel your pain - the world is so interesting and there's so much to learn.
I've kinda learned to somewhat accept the lack of curiosity of other people.
It's their choice... but it's still sad.

Here's the kicker though: The thing that "scares" you the most has the potential to become your biggest opportunity. You can either cater to their laziness/sidewalker-behavior and make a buck or two or you can try to pull them out of it (which can be profitable as well).
But then again, everything can be an opportunity ;)

I hope you will find some goldnuggets in this forum and achieve your goals one step at a time.

Cheers.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Can you use your knowledge about aerospace engineering etc to write a non-fiction book in that space? Much higher barrier to entry...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Fear really prevents you from truly living life. We've been programmed by the world around us to be fear based. The mindset of those around you reflects their fears and also sabotage's you. Fear of the unknown, it is scary, but at the same time you learn by taking a leap of faith into the unknown that it does allow you opportunity. Getting out of your comfort and safety zone opens new doors to new worlds.

We can be influenced all our lives about people, places, and things based on other people's experiences. We never know the truth until we take that leap into the unknown. One day we learn after all the fears, there was nothing to fear at all.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I agree with @Mattie about fear. "There was nothing to fear at all" is absolutely true. Life will be full of events. Some will feel real good and others will feel horrible. They are all experiences that help to shape who we are. They are giving us our perspective on life. Face all of these without fear and your perspective will change immensely.

I also learnt that 401(k) is a legalized scam.
On February 2014 I finally got a job, the day job I currently have. It’s a government job, absolutely not challenging, and I am underpaid. I dread coming to work every single morning.

You are taking a close look at your reality and don't like what you see. You have created this environment that you are living in. You have the ability to change it. The biggest thing stopping you from changing this is the negative bias you have on your life. Enjoy what you have. Then work to change your direction.

Last edited:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
@Writer ,

Welcome to the Forum! You've taken the first step and now it's time to make the next one. Then the next, and then the one after that, and then another, and so on...

Fear is all around us man. It's never going to go away, so at some point you have to decide that you're not going to let it control you.

steveO said:
"There was nothing to fear at all" is absolutely true. Life will be full of events. Some will feel real good and others will feel horrible. They are all experiences that help to shape who we are. They are giving us our perspective on life. Face all of these without fear and your perspective will change immensely.

Absolutely true. I've been scared and/or terrified at so many points in my life and career but that hasn't stopped me from pushing on through those feelings and moments. And EVERY SINGLE TIME..I find that the actual thing was NEVER as bad as the FEAR of the thing was.

Good luck man!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Love the post, mate. It's true that job security is a total joke. Ask the Americans who got thrown out onto the street during the recession. Yet somehow, how often have you heard of businessmen who are BILLIONS of dollars in debt, and manage to spring back. Anyone heard of Masayoshi Son? He lost $40B of his own money in the early 2000s. He's regained most of it now.

Here's what motivates me. I think that every day is a gift. Every day I'm still here is a blessing. I have the opportunity to make the most out of today. Any time wasted will be regretted. So what should I do? Take charge of life now and don't wait. But overall, have fun in the process.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Thank you for all the replies. Ultimately, I'd rather die thinking that I tried than dying knowing that I never even tried.

@ebms good idea, I will start a progress thread in the amazing Publishing section. I can give you a small progress update: I invested my first $3000 in Apple stocks (only $3000 as a test for now). I know it's nothing, but hey, I am out of my comfort zone once again and... it feels good. And I made about five bucks which I would't have made if I kept the dollars in a bank account. It's two free coffees.

@theag that is a good idea! I will use the knowledge I gathered to my advantage.

@Mattie tnx for your reply

@SteveO thanks. The problem is that everyone says that having a "job is good". While it's certainly true that it's better to have a job than living off the streets, what we should tell other people is that having a "cash flow" is good. If we only changed that mentality (esp. in schools) everything would change.

@Ninjakid yes, every day is a gift.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The problem is that everyone says that having a "job is good". While it's certainly true that it's better to have a job than living off the streets, what we should tell other people is that having a "cash flow" is good. If we only changed that mentality (esp. in schools) everything would change.
Why do we care?

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
@Writer:

Listen, most people don't WANT to step out of the "Matrix" because it will cause them psychological pain and we humans are very good at avoiding pain. Just smile, do your thing, work your process, and succeed.

By way of example:

Last night was my last shift at the old job. For several years I was one of the top producers, the doctor that everyone (including my boss) wanted to care for their loved ones, etc. But when I told them months ago that I was stepping out of the "Matrix" and going my own way, as well as starting my own business, the reaction was swift, negative, and vitriolic. So I stopped explaining or defending and stopped asking for validation from folks who cannot appreciate what I'm doing. I'm now more free than I was five months ago and far happier than I have been since I started medical school.

Bottom line: Gather peers around you who share your (new found) values, work on your journey one day at a time, and you'll be farther in six months than you would have ever dreamed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...