The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jason's How to Build Wealth & Golden Nuggets

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Biophase, I am sure andy will agree, but take a look at your impression share as well. If it is low or under 60-70% you probably need to optimize some things in addition to adding money.

The position isn't just determined by highest bidder, but it could increase your CTR which in turn can increase your position.

LOL, I read this last week and didn't know what you meant. But after a 2 hours skype with Andy things are alot more clearer! My impressions shares were 80-90% so that was good. I'm formulating a different strategy now using remarketing as those clicks are cheaper!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Jason - I would love listen to an INSIDERS call from you talking about sales funnels and customer discovery! Your recent experience and lessons learned is pure gold. Thanks for the consideration Jason!
No - Magento is cool, but wouldn't do what I wanted.

Magento is for ecommerce stores, but not really for sales funnels.

I built a funnel - I'm paying $1k/month (yes per month) for the software I use, plus we built our own custom API, to do what we need to do.

Sometimes you have to go big or go home.

I worked with Magento a long time at a previous job, and on my own time. It's not that hard if you use off the shelf stuff, themes, etc.

Honestly, I don't know what you're selling, but I'd start with One Shopping Cart or Ultra Cart. They are supposed to be able to do one click upsells.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
Jason - I would love listen to an INSIDERS call from you talking about sales funnels and customer discovery! Your recent experience and lessons learned is pure gold. Thanks for the consideration Jason!

Just mentioning it in case you weren't aware, Jason did a podcast with Billy on his ForeverJobless podcast. You can find it on iTunes or the ForeverJobless website.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

If you search around you can find my INSIDERS call on FB advertising - and like @brandonrush said you can find my podcast on Forever Jobless. I think it was the highest downloaded/rated episode last I checked.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Hey there jason
When you did an interview on foreverjobless the host mentioned at your place was full of white boards with plans and ideas

I had a white board that is a decent size and finally got off all the hard to remove dried marker (i feel so good it ended better than expected)

I was gonna ask if you have a specific system when it comes to writing things down on your white boards?

I feel me typing ideas/plans isn't really that efficient because il just save it in notepad and forget about it

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
So today, I found another copycat. Stole something directly from me. This is why I seriously rethinking posting here any more, and doing things like the podcast.

I love helping people, but not at the expense of my business.

So disappointed.

Giving my attorney a call.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
So where are the places someone could copycat you ?
Here.
Podcast.
Your website itself.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I have reasons to suspect he's from this forum as well.

I have already contact my lawyer.

Not sure if I'll post here, and I May request for some of my threads to be taken down. We will see.

Love this community, but there will always be a bad apple here and there.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Sorry man. Get the douche

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I have reasons to suspect he's from this forum as well.

I have already contact my lawyer.

Not sure if I'll post here, and I May request for some of my threads to be taken down. We will see.

Love this community, but there will always be a bad apple here and there.

Well that's a pisser.
One dumb a$$ spoils it for all of us who really appreciate and heed your advise.
But you have to do what you have to do. Anyone would.

Good luck and I hope you find and crush whoever it is.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So where are the places someone could copycat you ?

A potential threat when disclosing specific details AND $$ figures. This is where you open yourself up to the 3 idiots lurking among the 100s.

Probably the biggest threat if you are actively disclosing your financial numbers.

Your website itself.

Also a big threat, but not if people don't know what your run rate is.

I'm getting more info from Jason -- looks like the a**hole is here (and on the INSIDE). He won't be treated well.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
Competition is one thing, Its another thing for people that you try to help on the forum outright stealing your shit because they are unoriginal aholes.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
You gotta move faster, add new services, better quality. Competition will always come along sooner or later. Good Luck

Agreed - and we're already doing that. Hence the giant platform change. Of course, I'm not going to post here what we're doing.

But, I am pissed that he BLATANTLY copied and stole things from me. An idea is an idea, but shortcutting it and stealing other peoples hard work is a crime and is deplorable.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Agreed - and we're already doing that. Hence the giant platform change. Of course, I'm not going to post here what we're doing.

But, I am pissed that he BLATANTLY copied and stole things from me. An idea is an idea, but shortcutting it and stealing other peoples hard work is a crime and is deplorable.
did he copy everything exactly?

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
So today, I found another copycat. Stole something directly from me. This is why I seriously rethinking posting here any more, and doing things like the podcast.

I love helping people, but not at the expense of my business.

So disappointed.

Giving my attorney a call.

I saw a very very similar named website the other day. First thing I thought was mother f#%^ers can't even come up with their own original name. I was going to post the link here but decided against it. Too many short cut scammers.

Sorry to hear this man, you've put in so much hard work to get to this point. Pisses me off!!

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Competition is one thing, Its another thing for people that you try to help on the forum outright stealing your shit because they are unoriginal aholes.

This is straight up theft, not competition. The name is almost identical.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I am aware of the one with the similar name (I actually have my name trademarked) - long story - but have not pursued legal action.

Long story behind that one - but basically he's going out of business (and I even tried to buy him), so no point in pursuing at the moment.

The thing is, it's just an idea. No one knows how I actually do it, or anything behind the scenes.

I'd prefer not to post my website, or any competitor's for the sake of privacy.

Funny thing, is I called the guys I found today, and the owner claims to never have heard of me, yet referenced me by my full name, and I just saw that he was on my INSIDERS call.

Anyways, I'm pursuing the legal avenues of taking care of this. I will probably be quiet for some time, and shame on me for posting too much information.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Theres one that is very similar to Jasons (just adding a "for" in thename)but if you look at the history the guy bought the domain years ago before jason posted and his fb page says he has been doing it for 3 years...so if we are thinking of the same one he hasnt stolen anything.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I've seen 8 clones of Jason's site pop up ever since he did the podcast with Billy.

I've seen even more clones of the magical liquid because you can buy that stuff straight from Alibaba. MJ deserves credit for that idea though.

How crazy would it be if the copycat was the same girl who cloned Kenric's goods. Unlikely, but still it'd be a crazy probability

Last edited:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I've seen 8 clones of Jason's site pop up ever since he did the podcast with Billy.

I've seen even more clones of the magical liquid because you can buy that stuff straight from Alibaba. MJ deserves credit for that idea though.

How crazy would it be if the copycat was the same girl who cloned Kendrick's goods. Unlikely, but still it'd be a crazy probability
More evidence that no good deed goes unpunished.

*sigh*

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Theres one that is very similar to Jasons, but if you look at the history the guy bought the domain years ago before jason posted and his fb page says he has been doing it for 3 years...so if we are thinking of the same one he hasnt stolen anything.

I specifically asked names to be omitted in this thread, but here's the story.

The other guy (also named Jason) was an ex-partner. We split, and did our own things. I had no clue he was going to use such a similar name as mine, which I thought was idiotic. If you check the domain registration dates, you'll see he registered maybe a day or two after me. I am on good terms with him, which is why I haven't enforced my trademark (I try not to create enemies if I don't have to). And like I said, I was talking to him about buying his business.

The other guy who stole my business, is a member of this forum, unfortunately, and was also on my INSIDERS's call.

I guess it was a bit idiotic of me to do the call so openly, although it was a great experience, and Billy and I get along great.

Here's the thing, no one knows the secret sauce, the marketing, the amount of money I've lost on advertising tests, or how profitable this really is (or isn't).

Everything that makes my business work is behind the scenes, which I will never tell.

The good thing is, I'm so far ahead of everyone else, they're just playing catch up.

To all the copycats F*ck you, and good luck.

I'm honestly a bit tired of trying to help me out. Just get burned in the end.

Reynolds

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 24, 2014
I hate to hear this @JasonR, incredibly disheartening. I have followed and enjoyed your process....one of the best! I do wish you all the best, lessons are still being taught through your trial. Hope you do continue to help others, you have a lot of value to share!!!

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Funny thing, is I called the guys I found today, and the owner claims to never have heard of me, yet referenced me by my full name, and I just saw that he was on my INSIDERS call.

Wow. WTF!!

The good thing is, I'm so far ahead of everyone else, they're just playing catch up.

This is so important. We've had A TON of copycat's (blatant copy cats down to the wording of the copy on their website) in our biz over years. Normally they will go out of business within a couple months. While our business is "complicated" it's easy to copy if you know what you are doing.

A couple things we do:

A. We outspend them. Almost all of our traffic is from paid google traffic. We are the usually the top ad on Google and the top 2 or 3 ads on the side. Copycats usually (never) have our marketing budget (basically up to $30-40K per month if need be), so we increase it when we have to put them out business.
B. We innovate and fail super fast.
C. We have great relationships with suppliers now so our costs allow us to cut prices when we have to.

Side note: I've never really discussed what exactly our business does on this website, mostly because I'm a minority owner of it. However, I don't think we (my friend and I) really care about who knows about it (tons of people do). We are friendly with most of our competitors and together (with them) will crush the blatant copycats. Smaller businesses than yours get mentioned by entrepreneurs all of the time on podcasts, you were just helping people out. @JasonR you weren't idiotic here, what's idiotic is F*ckers not having a original idea and/or thought of their own.

Crush him.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
@JasonR hey i have another question do you have your manufacturer ship out the items? or do you go and pick them up then ship them out?

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Copycat will fall. That is merely a matter of time.

Even if you choose never to post again Jason, you have already made a huge dent in the forum that will not be forgotten.

Remember that in 3-4 years a lot of us younger ones are gonna start seeing rewards from our value creation, and when we are, we'll remember people like you, shortcutting the F*ck out of our journeys with information that others pay 1000s of dollars for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.