The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The self help niche.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I have made a few audio files making fun of the self help niche. Not naming any names or anyhing but one is about. Manifesting a certain animal. Will probably work a bit more on this and maybe even write a script to follow.

But, anyhow? I am just asking what it would take for you to get in to the self help niche? And the reason why you don't do it? Because there is money to be made there.

Even though, I make fun of the self help niche. There is still a bigger picture that can be taken away from my entertainment.

Should I go with this? I am not too worry what people will think about me. Only worry is that I will be preceived as an motivational speaker instead of a entertainer.

Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
But, anyhow? I am just asking what it would take for you to get in to the self help niche? And the reason why you don't do it? Because there is money to be made there.

There's money to be made everywhere.

The reason I'm not going into the self-help niche is because I don't think I have enough experience in one specific thing to provide quality information rather than just extra noise.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
There's money to be made everywhere.
Kind of true, I guess.

The reason I'm not going into the self-help niche is because I don't think I have enough experience in one specific thing to provide quality information rather than just extra noise.
Yeah. That's kind of a reason for me too. And that I don't want to sound like I am some big shot when I am not. You know, just a bunch of talk and so on.

A

Angus

Self-help is the same stuff repeated over and over again.

YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO!
SLEEP IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE BROKE!
YOU GOTTA WANT TO SUCCEED AS BAD AS YOU WANNA BREATH!
YOU HAVE TO FORGET TO EAT!
DIE ON THE TREADMILL BUT DON'T QUIT!

It's a very, very competitive market. I don't think there's a lot of money to be made there unless you find a new way to sell old stuff.

Generally you should ask yourself why people would buy your stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Mostly it would be to get entertained. As I am making fun of the self help industry. And just like you say, it's a lot of the same thing, over and over again.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
Self-help is the same stuff repeated over and over again.

YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO!
SLEEP IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE BROKE!
YOU GOTTA WANT TO SUCCEED AS BAD AS YOU WANNA BREATH!
YOU HAVE TO FORGET TO EAT!
DIE ON THE TREADMILL BUT DON'T QUIT!

It's a very, very competitive market. I don't think there's a lot of money to be made there unless you find a new way to sell old stuff.

Agreed, personally I think if we are talking about blogs here, then Self-help should be a subset topic on your blog, not its main focus.

A

Angus

Mostly it would be to get entertained. As I am making fun of the self help industry. And just like you say, it's a lot of the same thing, over and over again.
That way the majority of people will misinterpret you and take you as a cynic loser.
If you're going to be a mocking entertainer, expand your reach.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
That way the majority of people will misinterpret you and take you as a cynic loser.
If you're going to be a mocking entertainer, expand your reach.
Well. I know it will not be for everyone. But what do you mean, with "expand your reach"?

Inuc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 14, 2014
Nigeria
The is one in which everyone is directly or indirectly involve in. You cannot stop helping yourself or anyone to get better, but what i will just suggest is to be able to really enjoy the entertaining aspect of it is to be aable to point to something as a reference point.

Because that is the most basic of it

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Also "self help" is extremely broad. Narrow it down to something specific like "how 18 year old boys can beat depression through bench pressing" or something like that (bad example, I know).

It has to be really specific in order to make an impact. I'm working on a new website within the self help niche. Well, alright, I'm working on IDEAS for a new website within the self help niche. Take your personal achievements into consideration as well. What have you accomplished? That could be your angle.

Just some ideas!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
You really just have to sound like you know what you're talking about.

I would recommend building a good rapport with people as well, meaning don't feed them total B.S.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Technically what I'm branching into myself is considered "Self Help".
although to me, it doesn't feel like it.

If I can add value to somebody's life, I can add value.
Nothing anybody else delivers will make the people I reach any less affected.

The type of content I'm creating:

The first thing I did was write a mission statement:
It's All About Creativity.

Creative doesn't mean "artsy".
The word CREATIVITY stems from the root CREATE.
It's not about throwing paint at the wall, recording guitar solos or displaying cambell's soup cans in galleries.

It's about making something from nothing.
It's about influencing change in the world.
It's about selling products or offering services,
it's about cleaning up your neaighborhood
It's about saving lives.

There are those in life that CREATE and those who CONSUME.
Castleforge Media is about those who create.

What we do.
We inspire through energetic video updates and motivational articles.
We make your tough decisions easier with reviews of creative tools and services.
We develop tools and resources that assist in your ability to create.

Everything I do is aimed at meeting that mission statement.
Even though technically what I'm branching into here borders on"self help"
The guiding mission behind everything means: that everytime I post new content,
I'm kept from being "just another voice in the crowd".

PS/EDIT:
I'm no guru, no expert.
I don't know all the answers.
But I have been through some shit.

I've been in and out of homelessness,
I've built and destroyed 4 revenue streams,
I've consulted with countless businesses and coached a few individuals to their goals.

I don't think to be in a self-help niche, you necessarily need to be an EXPERT.
You just have to have value to share.
Ultimately, your audience is the one who decides your success.

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have spent years as a consumer of self help books, blogs, guru's coaches etc... one thing for sure is that it is a multimillion dollar business. Heck I would class this forum as a niche in the self help industry. However, one thing to really understand is the self in self help and no-one will do anything for you to change your situation, of course we all know this. Even when I first started reading the millionaire fastlane the first thing that came to my mind was "yep, here is another self made millionaire who so loves us he is going spend an enormous amount of his precious time writing a book out of the kindness of his heart just so we can all copy him and become millionaires."( not that he would make any money selling books.) Of course after finishing it I realized something else.

So, if you are wanting do do something in the self help business, I would create a small niche - something you don't see to much...maybe a vlog/blog that follows your own journey and members can follow along with you, or have you noticed how this gamification fad has been growing? how about setting up a site (even just for fun) where you could have daily tasks that will get you closer to your goals, however, instead of you choosing the tasks have a list of tasks and ask your subscribers by way of a vote as to which task you will do on that day/week. It could be disastrous or rewarding either way I think it would be great fun.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Some advice for people who consume a lot of self-help material.

No one is perfect, and no one has it all figured out; and if they try to tell you otherwise, they're lying

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Some advice for people who consume a lot of self-help material.

No one is perfect, and no one has it all figured out; and if they try to tell you otherwise, they're lying

You sure make it sound like you've got it all figured out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.