The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Development Advice For FREE

Ask me anything!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
What does this mean? "how do you avoid being a croney that is just wasting time."

I guess I meant "how do you avoid wasting your time trying to fit in"

I'm thinking it is a bit like managing tilt in poker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt_(poker)

If you're not building anything how can you run into problems to solve? Books can only teach you so much but experience is the true educator.

Yes you are right, I should let the task take me where I need to go, try my luck as it were.

it talks about looking at the world's problems and thinking how could I solve these

So I should look around for problems, develop my eye, better things.

programming is essentially an extension of you or your thought process. What get's on the path are overcoming the challenges of a project

So, I should kinda think in line with end results, but tackle the problem at hand.

There will come a time were you're just tired, and that's okay take a break for a few hours, or days if you have to, go enjoy life and you will come back. You also need to make this fun for yourself, and not a choir or something you do because you know how to do it

Yeah, very true, gotta keep positive, no ones gonna do that for you.

One day, I was sitting and thinking "Man, in the old days, people were craftsman... experts. Like those stories you hear of Japanese sword makers." I think that epiphany, lead me to want to specialize in Javascript. I feel like as humans in this day in age, were everything is instant, easy, and we're exposed to so much, it's easy to loose track of your path.

Exactly, I mean you gotta feel like what you are doing is an extension of something else.

What do you feel coding is an expression of?
Like, what are you trying to express or create.
Just the program, or?

Maybe a culmination of all the above, not thinking about it too much, and letting yourself take a walk with your ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
Wow, that Apple video is DOPE! Thanks for that, I had never seen it before.

I guess I meant "how do you avoid wasting your time trying to fit in"

The thing about trying to fit in, is that you're trying to get people to notice something about you that has value, instead of just doing what you do to keep increasing your value. You'll never fit in to every circle, even though some people make it seem like they do. Just appreciate the people that find you valuable and those that don't too bad. This doesn't mean stop self improving, I'm just saying don't let it be your focus. I went through a period of time in my life where I would just read self help books, and how to communicate with people.

So I should look around for problems, develop my eye, better things.

You can start with your own complaints, then people complaints of people around you, and you'll start developing an eye to solving problems. For example, I wish I could control, my A/C unit with my phone. Then I can start thinking, I can build something using RaspberryPi, code it, make an app for my phone...etc. I just ended up buying a NEST though. Even if you don't build or solve the complaint (problem) at least visualize how you could accomplish it.

What do you feel coding is an expression of?
Like, what are you trying to express or create.
Just the program, or?

Not sure, it depends, usually coding is a mental test / game, am I smart enough, cleaver enough, creative enough to do X. I do enjoy making people's experiences better through what I build, and I try to express that in what I create if I'm not to mentally fatigued. If it's not something you want to create, and it's project for work, it feels like just a program. It's weird but when you get good at something you start to get interested in it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm currently a web developer partnered with a foreign company who does tons of different things, from simple landing pages to graphics to custom web software.

How the hell do I get out of this space? (Kidding... almost)

My question is, in 2014 how can a website builder differentiate himself in a marketplace where a million people want to do websites for $200 or less?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The thing about trying to fit in, is that you're trying to get people to notice something about you that has value, instead of just doing what you do to keep increasing your value.

Agreed, thats a great way to look at it, build up value rather than focus on that other stuff. Thats definately something I will be adopting and keeping an eye on.

Even if you don't build or solve the complaint (problem) at least visualize how you could accomplish it

I find that encouraging, I feel I have this habit setting in now, and definately already have it in business. Its something that grows with time.

Not sure, it depends, usually coding is a mental test / game, am I smart enough, cleaver enough, creative enough to do X. I do enjoy making people's experiences better through what I build, and I try to express that in what I create if I'm not to mentally fatigued.

Yeah, I know that kind of push you are talking about.
When you know you can leap, you feel it almost like a compulsion.

Thankyou man,
That was on point and enjoyable stuff,
I'll let these other guys ask for a bit, and I'll maybe ask something later
Cheers!

++rep

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
I'm currently a web developer partnered with a foreign company who does tons of different things, from simple landing pages to graphics to custom web software.

How the hell do I get out of this space? (Kidding... almost)

My question is, in 2014 how can a website builder differentiate himself in a marketplace where a million people want to do websites for $200 or less?

Become specialized at a particular part of web development, become so good at something people will pay you anything. With tools like products like "Wix" building sites is becoming a very easy thing to do for people, even non technical people. Also on sites like oDesk, Elance, and Freelancer, you're competing with the world. $200 bucks in a 3rd world country is a lot of money, so make yourself stand out.

Business people want to know that they can communicate with you, that if they give you a task you'll be able to take care of it, that you speak the language they speak, that you provide good quality, if a problem arises you'll be able to effectively communicate with them the problem and give them an estimate and several solutions on how to possibly solve it.

Coming back to this "Become specialized at a particular part of web development, become so good at something people will pay you anything." Let's say you do WordPress sites, at $200 but it takes 30 hours to complete one, that's about $6.67 an hour. Now let's say, WordPress really needs X plugin, so you develop it and it takes you 60 hours, but you either make it membership were people pay you monthly, or you make it so they have to buy it at $50. Of course the plugin you built has to add enough value that people are willing to pay that much, or subscribe and pay a monthly fee.

Now you'll no longer be building websites, but you'll be building products that add value to WordPress and yourself. You are now seen as a developer not a web site builder. Also try to figure out how to automate things, if landing pages are a big deal, then create a WordPress plugin that generates simple landing pages, coming soon, email collection landing page, and one that a user can customize themselves. Sell that plugin per domain for $5 to $10 bucks. You'll have to create in your plugin a key system or something, but that's beyond the scope of this conversation.

Also this is something that I also have to start doing. Is start contributing, create your own blog and write about web development, write small tutorial for people with common issues...etc. Check this article out it's really great "How I Used Writing to Double My Freelancing Rate As a Programmer" by Glenn Stovall

Remember (as a reminder to myself as well) this is your life, do not live a life confined by the boundaries that surround you. The world is as big as you make it out to be, and your limits are bounded by your believes. Other people have quit their jobs, worked on other things while working their jobs, to get the life they have sought after.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Appreciate it. I've tagged this as an AMA - seems to have morphed into one.

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Appreciate it. I've tagged this as an AMA - seems to have morphed into one.

You're welcome, thanks for sharing your experiences as well, through the book and this forum. I'm working on getting my Lamborghini.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I'm spending some time trying to develop some really juicy questions but this is what I have for now xD

1) What are the 3 biggest surprises you had during your journey learning code?
2) How has your view evolved over time, and what did it look like, were there big leaps or did you kind of fall into things?
3) If you could be able to do something in code that you can't do now, or if you had a quasi-superpower in code what would it be?

:joyful:

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
What do you think about selling websites based on bought WP themes vs. ones that you build yourself. Weather it be static or WP sites. Do you feel it's ethical to ask the same price for both? If you were to sell it as a service.

Weavie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 12, 2014
Do you have any advice on making a website look good?

I really struggle with visual design. Everything I do tends to have that amateur look and I can't really put my finger on why it is.

How can I learn to make things look professional?

D

DeletedUser397

Hey, I'm also a web developer, love your profile pic ;)

Do you work a job or run your own business?

I'm currently still at a job - I find that I learn a lot, especially when I'm under the pressure of a deadline and need to learn a new language to complete a task. With my own projects, it's tough to put that kind of pressure on myself that gets me into really creative coding zone. If you do run your own business, how do you put yourself into that pressure / deadline situation to pull off great code?

Do you ever find that your desire for writing clean/optimized code gets in the way of launching products/sites, etc? Or pushes you back? Or you end up just trying to perfect the code and forget about the big picture, which is making a profitable product/service?

Also, you said...

Also this is something that I also have to start doing. Is start contributing, create your own blog and write about web development, write small tutorial for people with common issues...etc.

Do you contribute to projects on Github? Post on Stackoverflow? Or things like this? How do you find time? Or why do you want to do it, as you stated? I actually hate the fact that these days employers and 'industry' judge developers by their amount of free / open-source contributions. As if you don't matter unless you've given a bunch of code away for free. Great article on it here: http://www.ashedryden.com/blog/the-ethics-of-unpaid-labor-and-the-oss-community

Thoughts on that?

Lastly, what sites, online magazines do you follow/read? SmashingMagzine, etc. type sites. Always interested to see what people are reading.

Thanks!

P.S., @RogueInnovation, that Apple video was very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
1) What are the 3 biggest surprises you had during your journey learning code?
  1. It's not as hard as it looks or may seem
  2. I'm a lot smarter than I thought
  3. And I don't know shit
#3, is like once you master an aspect of development, it's like you open a new door and you're like wow... what I've mastered dose not apply here, back to square 1.

2) How has your view evolved over time, and what did it look like, were there big leaps or did you kind of fall into things?

Many views have evolved. I use to see things as 1, not as individual tasks. You know the saying each miles starts with the first step. When you visualize something, you have to break it apart and see what are the steps in order to finish and only focus on that one step, till you get to the next. Looking at something as a whole can be overwhelming and even discouraging.

Biggest leaps have been believing in myself, and knowing that someone else has been able to learn this or do that, why can't I?

Working at a company that is small, you fall into a lot of project that you may not be familiar with so you kind of start learning a lot of information you may think is useless but this will help you create more composed projects in the future, and will also help you communicate with other types of developers or people in their lingo.

If you could be able to do something in code that you can't do now, or if you had a quasi-superpower in code what would it be?

Haha, this is tough. I would like to be able to mentally create and it appear coded. Talk to my machine mentally and it understand and know how to code and how I want it coded. Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist that has a book called "The Future Brain" which I have not read, but saw him speaking about the contents of the book on Book TV (I don't know why I watched it but I did). He talks about a lot of cool stuff that they are doing with the brain, even thinking of an image, and them being able to print out a picture, reading your brain... all that scary stuff.

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
What do you think about selling websites based on bought WP themes vs. ones that you build yourself. Weather it be static or WP sites. Do you feel it's ethical to ask the same price for both? If you were to sell it as a service.

I'm not sure I fully understand the situation. Ethics is a personal matter, that humanity has generalized to describe when something you're doing is not right. In stupid form, ethics could boil down to "Treat others, like you would like to be treated" at least for me.

This is tough, because in WordPress it's easy to install a theme on a site. If you were to buy a theme, and it's license was one that you could not resell the theme as theme then I wouldn't do it.

If you install WordPress, and then install a theme and then sell it, I'm not sure if that's a problem. Only reason is because people perhaps don't want to deal with that, no matter how easy it seems to you.

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
Do you have any advice on making a website look good?

I really struggle with visual design. Everything I do tends to have that amateur look and I can't really put my finger on why it is.

How can I learn to make things look professional?

You're going to need to "Fake it, till you make it." Design is one of those things that is a balance. You need to balance everything, is the shadow too much, is the color too much, do these colors complement each other, are the items too close...etc.

I would definitely, recommend you read about typography, web design, color schemes, negative space / white space (really important). I'm by no means a professional web designer, but I can get by pretty well.

When I started out, I was a designer first. I would go to websites or look at ads I thought were amazing and try to recreate some of those aspects. I did a ton of online tutorials, how to make a button, how to make a banner... etc.

Also don't be too hard on yourself, what you know now will not forever be. The more you read the more you practice, the more you'll be able to pick out "good designs", but in all, you need to be able to know you're tools the best. If you don't know how to use Photoshop or Illustrator too well, how could you ever create, what you have mentally visual.

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
Do you work a job or run your own business?

Two weeks ago I quit my job sort of speak. I've always been a freelancer, but I don't want to get into details about it. I'm now officially a freelancer that works on multiple client projects.

I'm currently still at a job - I find that I learn a lot, especially when I'm under the pressure of a deadline and need to learn a new language to complete a task. With my own projects, it's tough to put that kind of pressure on myself that gets me into really creative coding zone. If you do run your own business, how do you put yourself into that pressure / deadline situation to pull off great code?

Well when I would go into the office from 10 to 5 or 10 to 6, and come home, the last thing I really wanted to do is learn some new shit, or read about something that I didn't really need to know, but I forced myself to do it. For example I knew / know jQuery decently well, but I didn't know javascript like the back of my hand. So I got a 1,000 page eBook about javascript and started reading from front to end, I have yet to finish that book specifically, but I've read other books in the mean time. You need to have the thirst for knowledge, because it makes you a better person. I also have the thirst to become one of the best javascript programmers and perhaps develop my own framework for shits and giggles.

Do you ever find that your desire for writing clean/optimized code gets in the way of launching products/sites, etc? Or pushes you back? Or you end up just trying to perfect the code and forget about the big picture, which is making a profitable product/service?

This is a never ending struggle. I always want to write the best code, the funny thing is though, that the person after you might not understand what you did and why, and they'll say "this is shit" and re-write it. That usually has to do with poor documentation but that's outside the scope of this though. Also writing "prefect" or "perfecting" the code depends on the problem you are solving and how do you really know if your code is perfect. Perfection is very subjective. To everyone else it either works or it doesn't, the only time you'll be asked to optimize your code is when the server bills are high, or the product is slow, or you repeated yourself too many times in code (DRY: Don't repeat yourself), which is why you want to write the best code you can... lol.

Do you contribute to projects on Github? Post on Stackoverflow? Or things like this? How do you find time? Or why do you want to do it, as you stated? I actually hate the fact that these days employers and 'industry' judge developers by their amount of free / open-source contributions. As if you don't matter unless you've given a bunch of code away for free. Great article on it here: http://www.ashedryden.com/blog/the-ethics-of-unpaid-labor-and-the-oss-community

One thing about finding the time... is that you'll never find the time, you have to make the time. I remember a friend of mine said you'll never be successful going to sleep at your bed time. I think the Fastlane book, kind of makes that a point, to work really hard on your project till you can get it off and then enjoy your time because you bought yourself freedom.

Currently I do not contribute to core open source projects. The current extent of my contribution is for Atom.io, I created a plugin, because I needed it. I post questions on Stackoverflow, way way more than I post answers. My biggest contribution thus far perhaps is this thread.

I remember telling a lot of interviewers that I didn't have a resume because I don't have the time to make one, it's not a priority for me, usually that would raise a flag and end up with no new job, but I never really cared. Having a job or a new job wasn't my dream. Yea it's a shame, but then again, I believe that the industry itself (developers) have created this stigma.

I want to contribute because it's a marketing tool, it helps you get better, you can also build some great relationships by contributing.

Let's take us for example, you don't know me, but now you kind of do because all of the replies I've been posting. You've assessed certain things about me mentally, and then you took the time to ask some very good questions. Right now I'm replying to your questions, and build rapport with you. I've mentioned I'm good with jQuery and I'm focusing on becoming an expert at JavaScript, 3 months down the line your job needs some JavaScript expertise, it's quite possible you might contact me. It's quite possible I might get a lot of work in a few months and start looking for other developers to help. Obviously not on a free project.

I'm going to read the article though.

Lastly, what sites, online magazines do you follow/read? SmashingMagzine, etc. type sites. Always interested to see what people are reading.

I don't really follow / read too many sites anymore. On my iPad I have the "Pulse" application, and I've added;
  • HackerNews
  • TechCrunch
  • ReCode
Right now I'm very focused on specializing in JavaScript and I'm a very big Fan of Meteor, so I'll follow some of those developers and their blogs.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser397

Two weeks ago I quit my job sort of speak. I've always been a freelancer, but I don't want to get into details about it. I'm not officially a freelancer that works on multiple client projects.
Congrats on that, hope everything works out for the best.

You need to have the thirst for knowledge, because it makes you a better person. I also have the thirst to become one of the best javascript programmers
For sure, I agree with that. I like that perspective of having a "thirst" for it.

This is a never ending struggle. I always want to write the best code, the funny thing is though, that the person after you might not understand what you did and why, and they'll say "this is shit" and re-write it. That usually has to do with poor documentation but that's outside the scope of this though. Also writing "prefect" or "perfecting" the code depends on the problem you are solving and how do you really know if your code is perfect. Perfection is very subjective. To everyone else it either works or it doesn't, the only time you'll be asked to optimize your code is when the server bills are high, or the product is slow, or you repeated yourself too many times in code (DRY: Don't repeat yourself), which is why you want to write the best code you can... lol.
You're right perfection is subjective... I guess I often don't think of it that way, but should.

One thing about finding the time... is that you'll never find the time, you have to make the time.
Definitely yeah good point. Need to keep reminding myself of that.

Currently I do not contribute to core open source projects. The current extent of my contribution is for Atom.io, I created a plugin, because I needed it. I post questions on Stackoverflow, way way more than I post answers. My biggest contribution thus far perhaps is this thread.

I want to contribute because it's a marketing tool, it helps you get better, you can also build some great relationships by contributing.
It's been one heck of a contribution. I really appreciate your replies :) Also hadn't heard of Atom, very cool, just trying it now, thanks.

I've added;
  • HackerNews
  • TechCrunch
  • ReCode
Right now I'm very focused on specializing in JavaScript and I'm a very big Fan of Meteor, so I'll follow some of those developers and their blogs.
Nice, I actually hadn't been to ReCode, but the other 2 I read sometimes. I'm also trying to get better at JavaScript MVC frameworks. Haven't used Meteor yet, but just getting into more advanced EmberJS and trying to work my way around others on http://todomvc.com

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
It's been one heck of a contribution. I really appreciate your replies Also hadn't heard of Atom, very cool, just trying it now, thanks.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Atom.io is very cool, it's still in it's beta stages if I'm not mistaken, and plugins are written in coffee -.-, but what I really like is the integration with github. Also WebStorm is very good for javascript.

Nice, I actually hadn't been to ReCode, but the other 2 I read sometimes. I'm also trying to get better at JavaScript MVC frameworks. Haven't used Meteor yet, but just getting into more advanced EmberJS and trying to work my way around others on http://todomvc.com

Oh man, Meteor will change your life! This is why I really haven't messed with EmberJs, Knockout, Backbone, or Angular... among the few. The caveat is that using Meteor you're locked into Meteor, you can use Backbone and Underscore, but you won't need other frameworks, but by locked in I mean I know with other frameworks you can add-on to pre-existing projects written in different scripting languages. Meteor is more of a framework for Node.JS not really a javascript front-end framework, but it is... it's weird and awesome. Check it out, when you make some time. ;)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
It's not as hard as it looks

It looks pretty tough

Biggest leaps have been believing in myself, and knowing that someone else has been able to learn this or do that, why can't I?

I would like to be able to mentally create and it appear coded. Talk to my machine mentally and it understand and know how to code and how I want it coded

I thought you might say that xD
But its interesting to note that the challenge forces you to think of new ways to design.

Maybe a way to say it is, you'd rather not have to compensate as much as you do because it distracts your creativity sometimes and limits how much you can enrich an idea off feeling...

Its more the spikes though isn't it, how new challenges seem to boycott your idea.

I think that in all those blocks there can be a principle to learn.

In ways sometimes the challenge knows better than we do that something shouldn't work, but hilariously othertimes its just off.

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
It looks pretty tough

It can be, but if you find the right way of seeing what is being explained to you in concepts that are familiar to you then it get's easier. It's no walk in the park, but once you grasp the theories or the why's, then you think back and say "huh, this makes sense". For example when I was 14 I was trying to learn PHP, through tutorials. I could not understand what primitive types were. I kept reading the words "Variable" and "Array" and "Conditional Statement", I gave up and continued to do things manually cause they worked. During the "Giving up" time, I tried again and again to learn those vocabulary words and what they meant. The one phrase I'll never for get "A class is an object, and an object is a class", I was like wtf. Experience though, it reveals a lot to you, and socializing with more experienced people help. Also asking questions, I ask a ton of questions, until I see that the person is perhaps annoyed or I've come to understand. If the person seems a bit annoyed, or tries to change the subject, I'll say something like "Sorry, I'm asking so many questions, I just really want to understand what you understand", usually that helps, or I just stop and make a mental note to look it up online via articles or youtube videos.

Great video by the way, there is a lot of truth there and most people around you will not want to believe that truth, so it can be difficult to move forward at times because of your environment.

Last edited:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
You need to set-up a website in order to showcase your product and of course, get sales. You have zero experience with coding and only have $100 bucks. What would you do under those circumstances? What's the most user friendly, easiest way to get up and selling? What's the best way to drive traffic to such a simple site, perhaps with no built in SEO products? Or does you solution come with those options/extensions?
Hey man, if this is where you are I would drop $27 to subscribe to lynda.com for a month. You can watch up-and-running tutorials on WP, Woocommerce, marketing, all kinds of stuff.

It won't make you an expert, but it is absolutely the best way to get moving on anything quick and cheap. Worth every penny and then some.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I dont know how I missed this thread until now lol

My needs are:

• Customize/Create kickass looking sale pages quickly
  • Implement basic changes
  • Maybe setup a quick website to flesh out an idea
Would picking up a CMS like Joomla or Drupal and be enough to do the above things?

And would basic HTML and CSS be enough ?

My goal is not to create websites from scratch but outsource that if I ever need it.

Affiliate marketing will be my focus , just to give you the type of environment.

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
"FREE?! It MUST BE GOOD!" - Lady from Focus Factor Commercials.

I definitely do not know everything about web development ( [HASHTAG]#webDevelopment[/HASHTAG] ), but I've been working in the field for a while now. How long is a while though? 14 years. If you have any questions about web development, feel free to ask at no charge. This thread might actually help me develop a teaching product, or just help me stay focused on production and not consumption.

I have a question.

Have you ever hired a writer to take care of content writing? If you did, how did that work out? Would it be something that you recommend or nah?

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
I dont know how I missed this thread until now lol

My needs are:

• Customize/Create kickass looking sale pages quickly
  • Implement basic changes
  • Maybe setup a quick website to flesh out an idea
Would picking up a CMS like Joomla or Drupal and be enough to do the above things?

And would basic HTML and CSS be enough ?

My goal is not to create websites from scratch but outsource that if I ever need it.

Affiliate marketing will be my focus , just to give you the type of environment.

I thinking using a CMS would be a bit much, with some general understanding of coding you could accomplish what you need. What are you trying to build though? A collection of pages, that link to each other like a shopping cart or just single pages that link to products that really have nothing to do with each other.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I thinking using a CMS would be a bit much, with some general understanding of coding you could accomplish what you need. What are you trying to build though? A collection of pages, that link to each other like a shopping cart or just single pages that link to products that really have nothing to do with each other.

Single pages that link to products for now.

G

GuestUser113

You may have mentioned this. If I wanted to learn code. I'm not worried about it taking a long time to learn. If my end goal was to make iphone apps. What language would you learn first?

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
Single pages that link to products for now.
Yea you can get away with just HTML/ CSS. Check this out make a .html page, get a free code editor like sublime or atom.io, or notepad++...etc, even adobe has a free one now Edge Code.

This is an HTML5 basic code snippet to create your first page.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<!-- all of your head items go here, like meta tags -->
<style type="text/css">
/*CSS HERE*/
</style>
</head>
<body>
<!-- contents that people will see in browser-->
</body>
</html>

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Yea you can get away with just HTML/ CSS. Check this out make a .html page, get a free code editor like sublime or atom.io, or notepad++...etc, even adobe has a free one now Edge Code.

This is an HTML5 basic code snippet to create your first page.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<!-- all of your head items go here, like meta tags -->
<style type="text/css">
/*CSS HERE*/
</style>
</head>
<body>
<!-- contents that people will see in browser-->
</body>
</html>

I will give it a shot , thanks!

maybach

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 17, 2014
You may have mentioned this. If I wanted to learn code. I'm not worried about it taking a long time to learn. If my end goal was to make iphone apps. What language would you learn first?

So iPhone apps are Objective-C, but it seems that with the upcoming release you'll be able to use a language called Swift, which supposedly help to code faster.

“Swift is a new programming language for iOS and OS X apps that builds on the best of C and Objective-C”
Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “The Swift Programming Language.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/jEUH0.l

If you can I would probably lean towards Swift (Apple has free documentation and Books on Swift in their book store, check out link above). You would probably need an understanding of all the language terms of programming such as;

Every language has slight variation of the meaning of things (syntax), below are just some examples not a complete list of things you have to understand at least what they mean so when you read you can understand what they are trying to teach.
  • Variable
  • Constants
  • String
  • Arrays
  • Integer
  • Float
  • Functions
  • Boolean
    • True or False
  • Conditional statements
    • IF
    • Else If
    • Else
  • Loops
    • For
    • Each
    • While
    • Do While
  • Operators
    • +
    • =
    • ==
    • ===
  • Object oriented programing (OOP)
  • Classes
    • Properties (this is a Variable, but inside of a class it's called a Property)
    • Methods (this is a Function, but inside of a class it's called a method)
    • Public
    • Private
    • Static
  • Extending A Class
  • Understanding Inheritance
  • Abstract Classes
  • Objects
  • Concatenation
  • Instantiating / Instantiate / Instance
  • Primitive Types
  • References Types
  • Comments in Code
  • Constructor(s)
  • Documentation, creating and reading
  • Program Patterns
  • Importing Libraries
  • When to create a Library

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Variable
Constants
String
Arrays
Integer
Float
Functions
Boolean
True or False
Conditional statements
IF
Else If
Else
Loops
For
Each
While
Do While
Operators
+
=
==
===
Object oriented programing (OOP)
Classes
Properties (this is a Variable, but inside of a class it's called a Property)
Methods (this is a Function, but inside of a class it's called a method)
Public
Private
Static
Extending A Class
Understanding Inheritance
Abstract Classes
Objects
Concatenation
Instantiating / Instantiate / Instance
Primitive Types
References Types
Comments in Code