The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Four biz partners, borrow money to pay yourself. Something is not right.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Dan Carlson

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 22, 2014
Hi,
I have 3 business partners and we are all working full time. Our product is completed and have clients and it's the time where we take the plunge and go full time. Exciting times! But i have two business partners that does not have enough savings to live without a paycheck. We have no employees, it's all partner owned business at this point. So they want to borrow money from the bank to pay ourselves some salary. It doesn't make sense to me. If we borrow money from the bank as a company and pay ourselves salary, don't we have to take federal and other taxes out? So it's like borrow money to pay taxes. So I think a personal loan make more sense but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone have this experience or point me to material that I can reference?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Try to imagine explaining that one to an investor. Now you want them to give you money to pay back the loan you took out to pay yourselves salaries that your company couldn't afford? Get new partners. I'd take out a loan to buy them out.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
If the partners who don't have to borrow (yourself) are dipping into personal savings (dissaving) to support yourselves, then the partners with little savings should also borrow money (also dissaving) if they don't have it to support themselves. they should borrow money separate from the business.

if borrowing is linked to the business, there could be tensions within the partnership later on if things don't work out as planned. personal loan makes more sense, they should borrow for living costs on their own.

MikeAU

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 24, 2014
Brisbane
Evening and weekend jobs would be the way there. That gives them money coming in to cover living costs an frees up there days to work on the biz. Not easy but better than having personal loans that could hinder future money raising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
Interesting thought: Researchinf this very point, Owners/partners average $0-$45,000/year salary on startup. This is a provable number. I ain't gonna get paid a dime until my traction starts. How do I supplement? Slow lane jobs. It's ok though because I'm investing every non Slowlane time to the Fastlane!

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Tell them to get a job if they want money.

Sprained my index finger from clicking "like" so hard. Seriously, do not take out that loan.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
tell them to get a personal loan. It should be a big red flag to you that they even suggested it in the first place. Hopefully you have everything in writing and partner exit plans already agreed to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.