The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learn How To Trade Options

Anything related to investing, including crypto

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Own Nothing, Control Everything
- JD Rockefeller

Curious to know if anyone would like to learn how to trade options? I'm building a course on option trading, that also brings another twist to the above quote!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser156

If you're good, yes!

But why would you do this? Are you not supposed to be making money already trading options? ;)

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you're average, why would someone pay you to learn?

In the world of options, just knowing how to play is difficult, so I don't see any incongruency there. And then once you learn, making a profit from your trading is just as difficult. I used to trade options a lot and it's my preferred venue of speculation vs equity trading. Three items that it has 1) Control and 2) Defined Risk and 3) Time expiry ... these things have Fastlane qualities.

Jinxus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 23, 2013
NYC
If you're average, why would someone pay you to learn? Not knocking your hustle, just a potential FAQ topic for your future business.

You know that a lot of the people who sell "how to make money from home" actually don't make money from anywhere else besides their make money from home offer. It's all about building an expert persona.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
In the world of options, just knowing how to play is difficult, so I don't see any incongruency there. And then once you learn, making a profit from your trading is just as difficult. I used to trade options a lot and it's my preferred venue of speculation vs equity trading. Three items that it has 1) Control and 2) Defined Risk and 3) Time expiry ... these things have Fastlane qualities.

MJ, just noticed that you said "used to"... what caused you to stop?

Jinxus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 23, 2013
NYC
Seems like quite a few billionaires got their start with options/commodities. Just three examples off the top of my head:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliko_Dangote (Africa's richest man, $25b)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Rich (net worth: $1b)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fredriksen (net worth: $11.3b)

What separates the average options trader from the future billionaire options trader?

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
What separates the average options trader from the future billionaire options trader?

Maybe I should be clear on the definition here, I'm not doing options on futures or commodities. I'm doing on stock options (and ETFs). Maybe not as lucrative, but hey, I don't have the intention of becoming a billionaire... yet.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ, just noticed that you said "used to"... what caused you to stop?

Priorities. I was spending way too much time on it and simply not making enough to warrant the time expenditure. I haven't been back since because my trade platform (TOS) no longer works with my Mac. (Need to upgrade to Mavericks) I will definitely go at it again though.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Priorities. I was spending way too much time on it and simply not making enough to warrant the time expenditure.

With what you're making in a month, yes... relatively speaking, it's probably not worth the time :)

But, cmon... "need to upgrade to Maverick"... especially when it's free! That's a lazy excuse :yawn: - hint... nudge... Cmon MJ. Let me entice you with this chart...

graph...
140805-crash.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But, cmon... "need to upgrade to Maverick"... especially when it's free!

Ha I know but I've always had a fear in upgrading my OS, my computer is everything. Guess it comes from the old days when I used PCs.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Ha I know but I've always had a fear in upgrading my OS, my computer is everything. Guess it comes from the old days when I used PCs.

As someone who's recently had nightmares adjusting to a Mac after a lifetime of Windows use... there's still plenty to fear from upgrading :(

Berters

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 20, 2013
UK
I'm certainly interested. I've studied Forex and charts, watched a lot of seminar material on candlestick charts/patterns by Steve Nison, covered a lot of technical analysis material, spoken to a few people who trade forex for their main income etc, but haven't put any real money into anything yet.

I've always liked the idea of options, like MJ says everything is defined and there is a sense of control.

Feel free to use me as your success story to sell the product, all I require is free access ;) (Seriously though, if you need any feedback from the perspective of a buyer...)

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Options are tough...SO, what will make yours be different?

No & Yes.

No, options are not tough - they're simple once you understand the fundamentals.

Yes, you're right - there's probably not much difference anyways.

In fact, I'm re-thinking the idea teaching others. I might as well make money from my options trading and keep quiet. Oh, btw, this is not day trading - I call it life style trading - I'm not glued to the screen.

Cheers

David P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Sep 27, 2014
No & Yes.

No, options are not tough - they're simple once you understand the fundamentals.

Yes, you're right - there's probably not much difference anyways.

In fact, I'm re-thinking the idea teaching others. I might as well make money from my options trading and keep quiet. Oh, btw, this is not day trading - I call it life style trading - I'm not glued to the screen.

Cheers
Your'e right, it's more a Yes/No thing, I agree.

As goes the lifestyle thing, I like the sound of that. Sell them on the lifestyle thing.
So many people go the "guru" route, or the "I trade, hence I can teach"....

But people want time to do other things. I day traded for a time, and yes, I enjoyed it,
but it is draining, and there is a lot of hype. I traded the ES, and small caps, and I still
do once in a while. Options are just too technical at times, but for the Lifestyle thing
they are probably the best. Time decay and stuff like that, if played right means you
can "trade" a few hours per week, depending on the vehicle, weekly/monthly options.

Go do it, good luck.

D

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
like MJ says everything is defined and there is a sense of control.

My strategy tends to be a seller of options because I like the time component. Fastlane is about having time work for you, not against you. When you sell options, you put time on your side. I updated my operating system and TOS is back online!! Look out! HA HA

David P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Sep 27, 2014
Agreed MJ,

Options selling gets the cash in the bag, but time decay needs to be tracked, today being a Friday, and less risk of "holding the bag".

This could be of interest to you : http://www.daytradingzones.com/

Have a look, nothing to loose.

Have a good day......

D

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Mj, curious as to what you're doing - now that you're upgraded and back in the game with TOS...

My take...

So are we in the midst of a correction or something even more dramatic, the start of a bear market? As a strategy, instead of taking a long put option, I'm taking a short term put position (few months). If I'm wrong, I won’t lose as much, if over time I prove to be right, then I’ll have made a profit and will be more clear about taking a longer term position. Let’s let the market tell us where we’re going...

pDel+

If you're following the VIX, then you'll know Volatility is your friend, especially when selling put options.
1cOaA+

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
but your losses are unlimited. Many a trader has been wiped out selling options. Black Swan event = end of your account and more.

Keep to the stocks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My strategy tends to be a seller of options because I like the time component. Fastlane is about having time work for you, not against you. When you sell options, you put time on your side. I updated my operating system and TOS is back online!! Look out! HA HA

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
How does selling a put option make unlimited loss?
on what? Stocks/indices can tank 25%+ in one day or worse. In theory your losses are open ended in practice...you will probably get away with a big loss to fight another day. But it is a skewed risk/reward ratio. 8 winners can be wiped out by 1 big loss.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
There's a little friend called an Iron Condor that fits some situations you're mentioning that can limit your loss in the case of unexpected volatility.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.