The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Try Again, Picturebooks

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm trying to learn the marketing aspect as I go, but it doesn't feel like those efforts have paid off much yet.

So far my marketing efforts have involved the following:

- Free promotions & .99 cent promotions
- Post to Facebook wall
- Post to two .99 cent groups on Facebook
- Post to my local military community's FB
- Signature links on forums (still need to build them for this forum)
- Minimal Twitter posting
- Submitted to sites that have mailing lists for book promotions
- Links to mailing list built in the books
- Changing categories
- Changing book covers
- Changing blurbs (still need work in this area.)
- Giving away free copies to friends & family
- Directly asking for reviews.

That last one is mind boggling because I've had a number of people tell me they would leave reviews, some who were given free copies of the book, and some who planned to buy it. Yet of all of my books only one has any reviews and it only has two. I did notice that this book was selling slightly more copies than the others.

Things I have not yet tried:

- Building a Pinterest following
- Submitting to children's book blog sites for review
- Submitting to Twitter accounts that promote books
- Purchasing reviews to jump start sales
- Blogging book reviews about other children's books
- Probably a lot more ideas that I can't think of right now

Time is the biggest challenge with marketing.

One of my bigger goals is building a solid library of books under my author name.

This way when I finally do hit the nail on the head with a book that takes off, it will theoretically drive sales to a number of other products.

In an ideal world I will have created a system of minimal marketing, where the books sell themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
I can't even count the occasions where someone promised a review and never followed up. It's just the way it is, I guess. I didn't want to press harder and nag people too much about it. Careful with 'purchased reviews' - People can see whether the review came from a person that actually bought the book or not. I'm not sure where and how you want to buy reviews, of course. Sounds a little dodgy, but of course doesn't have to be.

You are right though, writing/drawing/publishing should be your main concern now, I think.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been looking at some of the Fiverr gigs for the purpose of reviews.

The books don't need a lot of reviews, but most of the promotional sites require at least 3 to even bother with a book.

Some of the Fiverr gigs have an option that allows you to submit the $5.00 payment plus the cost of your book and they will buy a copy so it shows as a verified purchase.

There are also some gigs on Fiverr that will submit books to many sites.

I may give this a shot too and see how things go. If the results are any better than my own efforts, and it saves a bit of time, it may be well worth it.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Just curious, how long did it take before you could order proofs?

***EDIT*** -

Nevermind, just got the online proof and ordered a physical copy. Yay! Should be here in a vew days. :)
Be careful when ordering proofs, some how I ordered a "sample book" What? I got 6 Sherlock Homes books...really? Aghhhhh! $22.50 down the drain. I don't know how it even got in my cart, I thought I was ordering proofs. Make sure you order "proofs" not "sample books."

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I've been looking at some of the Fiverr gigs for the purpose of reviews.

The books don't need a lot of reviews, but most of the promotional sites require at least 3 to even bother with a book.

Some of the Fiverr gigs have an option that allows you to submit the $5.00 payment plus the cost of your book and they will buy a copy so it shows as a verified purchase.

There are also some gigs on Fiverr that will submit books to many sites.

I may give this a shot too and see how things go. If the results are any better than my own efforts, and it saves a bit of time, it may be well worth it.

It is worth it.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How do you include that in the actual book? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can print from a kindle? You can always direct people to your mailing list, of course. :)

By the way, I would prefer to get the coloring book by email delivered to my inbox, instead of being directed to the website. I imagine some people don't know how to save it when it just opens as pdf, or they close the window and then it's gone and there is no way to retrieve it (unless you dig in your history).

Thanks again for the feedback @MayaMagpie. The coloring book isn't in the actual kindle book. A clickable link inside the book sends you to the same page as the link on the website.

The top of that page reads: "Free Coloring Book" and right below that are the words "Stormcloud newsletter". So when your email is added to that page it is also signing up for the newsletter. Of course users always have the option to unsubscribe later.

As for the email vs direct download, this is very valuable feedback to me because I've been debating which option people prefer. I went with the direct download because I want to keep potential customers on the site, but may change that to email soon to see how the responses change.

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
Glad to help!

Ok, in that case I would just add a sentence like "to save it, right-click and choose 'save as'" or something. Can't remember if you did that because I just clicked and it was there...
Yeah, see what people think. They will let you know when they're unhappy :p

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Updates

Luna Lingua - Fun in the Sun
--- Book 5
1. Finished Illustrations
2. Finishing coding today
3. Will publish this evening or tomorrow.
4. Will try to have a couple reviews on it before Intro. Luna Lingua goes on .99 cent promo on Monday.

Tales of Milton's Modern Magic --- Book 6
1. Undecided on the name still.
2. Finished 16 pages of the story. (Not illustrating at all until story is complete.)
3. No rhymes. This is an actual storybook series.
4. It is my intention to take plenty of time with this one and do it right.
5. Each page will still be a complete picture as well.
6. Each page is in landscape and is split in half, so it looks like a book and you get two pages in one. This will save a lot of space which will cut the MB fee in half.
7. This series will focus on a very slightly older age group than the other books and the lessons will be far more subtle.

The Monster Match
1. Today I received the first proof from createspace!
2. The formatting turned out almost perfect with two exceptions.
- The writing on the cover top is slightly lower than it should be, and extends into the yellow.
- The writing on the back extends into the yellow.
- All of the inside pages turned out perfect with no issues.
3. This one is pretty much ready for createspace publishing.

TMMCover.jpg TMMInside.jpg

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Updates

Luna Lingua - Fun in the Sun
--- Book 5
1. Finished Illustrations
2. Finishing coding today
3. Will publish this evening or tomorrow.
4. Will try to have a couple reviews on it before Intro. Luna Lingua goes on .99 cent promo on Monday.

Tales of Milton's Modern Magic --- Book 6
1. Undecided on the name still.
2. Finished 16 pages of the story. (Not illustrating at all until story is complete.)
3. No rhymes. This is an actual storybook series.
4. It is my intention to take plenty of time with this one and do it right.
5. Each page will still be a complete picture as well.
6. Each page is in landscape and is split in half, so it looks like a book and you get two pages in one. This will save a lot of space which will cut the MB fee in half.
7. This series will focus on a very slightly older age group than the other books and the lessons will be far more subtle.

The Monster Match
1. Today I received the first proof from createspace!
2. The formatting turned out almost perfect with two exceptions.
- The writing on the cover top is slightly lower than it should be, and extends into the yellow.
- The writing on the back extends into the yellow.
- All of the inside pages turned out perfect with no issues.
3. This one is pretty much ready for createspace publishing.

View attachment 7819 View attachment 7820

Yay!!! It looks so good!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Update:

Luna Lingua Book 1:
- .99 Cent sale today with quite a bit of promotion begins today through next Monday

General:
- Decided to hone the focus of my books further. The last story was very focused, but some of my topics may be taking away from the brand. I originally started with NLP and wanted to branch out into other life skills such as safety and health, but I think I'll return the focus to NLP and closely related subjects. Already Luna Lingua has gotten a bit off track.

- Since I'm unsure of how the Kindle Unlimited program will affect things, I've decided to use Amazon as a traffic source instead of the main selling portal. To do this I'll return to creating shorter books so I can build a larger Amazon catalog. All of these will be published to KDP so they can be downloaded for "free" and direct more people to the website.

- Something I noticed while browsing for KU books was that certain professional books like "Parent Effectiveness Training" are not being offered on KU, and also demand a price of more than $10.00 on Kindle. I bring this up because these books seem to be doing just fine. I understand that they gained their publicity differently and were originally published traditionally. Still, these books are able to demand a higher price because they are highly effective and I think this is something I want to build into my books.

- To make this happen I'll publish my best creations to the website and on the Kindle, but not on KDP Select and they will be a higher price than the shorter books. It's time to get serious about building a high quality brand!

Other Updates:
- I decided to add audio books & audio workshops for kids.
- Ordered a Presonus Audiobox, microphone & stand that will be here in a few days.
- Downloaded Audible and will be learning how to use all of this stuff this week.
- I networked with a Psychologist and learned about his website.
- I offered to increase his site traffic by adding a link to his page from mine if he would read some of my books and offer an endorsement, to which he agreed.
- Added a "Testimonials" page to the site. (It's still being worked on).

Still to Come:
- Working on YouTube short videos for the site.
- Will be adding book trailers to YouTube shortly.
- In addition to submitting the next book to picture book blogs, I'm sending it out to Psychology, NLP, & Hypnotherapy blogs for some serious feedback. I think these blogs may reach my target audience a little better.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Update

-
Built and Published an unplanned interactive book. It's live as of today!
- Created Stormcloud Books YouTube channel
- Created my first short video. It's crap, but I haven't made any videos in the past, so who cares, they will get better.
- Received the audio equipment for making audio books. Will begin this today.
- Starting a book in another genre to test the waters and see if anything clicks.
- Finished the "Personality Typing" page of the site.

Sales are still low, but last month tripled from the first month, and so far this month has doubled from last month.

Maybe I need to read a little Thomas... "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."

Karla

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 20, 2014
What are you planning for your youtube channel? What kind of videos? Are you doing this to get the word out more? Congrats on publishing your book :).....always a nice feeling, isn`t it?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't have much of a plan yet, but the goal is to draw traffic to my site. The videos will probably be samples of 5he books to show interactivity, book trailers and eventually audio samples to demonstrate the quality.

I need to sit down and give the marketing aspects some more thought though.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
UPDATE

It's been a hectic week despite pretty much having unlimited time. I've lowered my hours at the Natural Foods store to about 1 day a week, (because of careful money management, and not because of my book income lol). We had a Drill weekend so I've been out of the loop for the last 4 days with no internet access. Frustrating but not that big of a deal. I used the time to hand write notes, and ideas for a new age group I'm starting on.

I finished two books for the new age group, though I'm not quite ready to release either yet. It's a non-fiction category and I think I'm going to finish one more book before releasing anything. The first book is sort of a "How To", though I never actually use those words because I want to differentiate it from "How To" books. Instead I'm calling it a "101" course so it falls more under education. The second book is a very short book and it's more of an add-on to the first book. My intention is to use the second book as a loss leader in KDP. I'll use it for free promos to grab downloads and will try to draw people to the first book which will not be available on KDP so I can give it a higher price and ensure that it doesn't get downloaded for free. The third book will also not be on KDP. It will be listed on Amazon for a lower price than book one, but it will be 100% free on my website.

Though the new series targets a different age group I'm not changing pen names. I've decided to use the same one since the information covered is similar in both. I'm not even building a separate website. Instead I'm hiding the pages for the new series within the main site as part of the promotion. You can't access this part of the site unless you have the pass code from inside one of the books. The intent is to use exclusivity to help draw interest. Once they enter the site they'll have additional access to more free items. I won't require e-mail sign up for most of the freebies on the site, but will offer it as an additional incentive once they get there. This way they can feel they are signing up of their own free will instead of feeling they are being forced.

Last week I started working on audio recordings but ran out of time. I made good progress though, and feel like I'll be up and running with that in no time. The hardware I purchased works amazing and I'm pretty certain that these audio tapes will be very high quality with absolutely no background noise once they're finished.

I'll be starting another picture book this week. I think I've become fast and skilled enough to start making all future picture books interactive with little issue. My goal with picture books is going to be to release at a rate of two a month. I think this is a reasonable amount that will allow enough time to work on the other series too, assuming it starts taking off.

Somewhere in between all that other stuff I need to focus on marketing and content updates for the website. It's starting to look really great, but it can always be better and I need to gain more traffic. I also need to work on building videos for YouTube.

In case anyone wonders how much money I'm making from picture books...

I'm up to about $20.00 a month now. Which is much less than most of you are earning.

Sales are increasing, but these things are img heavy and hit download fees are harsh.

BUT

Nonetheless, I'm making sales at the $3.99 and doing better than at the $2.99 point.

For anyone who isn't satisfied with their $100.00 + a month in sales... just know that it could be less lol!

That's it for now. One last day of Drill to finish out then I'll be hard at it again!

I'm not giving up and neither should you.

Last edited:

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
Whats the deal on language learning picture books? Someone asked me to shop for a book so that the new born learns the mother's foreign tongue. I thought about what you were doing.

Might be another venture for you.. but I can totally see that + marketing to potentially $$$.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't really know much about language learning books, but may check it out.

Linguistics focuses on communication itself (verbal, non-verbal, subconscious etc.) and not so much on individual languages.

Some Linguists speak multiple languages though so there could be opportunity.

I think one of my biggest obstacles right now is educating my readers.

Most people I've asked have never heard of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

I can write "NLP Picture Book" on the cover all day, but people who don't know what stands for aren't going to care.

So I guess I either have to educate, or focus marketing efforts on reaching those people who already care about the fields of Psychology, NLP etc.

In time I think I can educate through blog/newsletter posts and quality books.

The rest may come from submitting to bloggers in related fields.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
I'm talking about really basic picture books for foreign language for kids.

Like "red" = "rojo" and theres like a picture of a worm on an apple. I see that being a potentially lucrative. Especially during Christmas, as a way for family to connect to their roots. Makes a great gift to a newborn as well.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
With my most recent book "Nine Dragons" I integrated some of what I think you are talking about.

Not with a foreign language, but I was teaching words and numbers and working on memory recall by making certain words certain colors.

I think I understand what you're talking about now and this could be a fun idea with growth potential.

Especially with interactive books.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Mialove,

Thanks for giving my book a look!

The look inside feature isn't available for fixed format books at this time.

I'm trying to work around this by adding photos to the Amazon page, and by publishing the books through CreateSpace, but this is taking some extra time.

I think there is an option to download a sample, but I don't know if anyone actually uses it or not.

Mialove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 12, 2014
Ah, ok. I didn't knew about the fixed format.

I am also going to publish 4 kids books now, and i must tell i am a bit worried after seeing your thread. (with 20$ a month), as the cost of creating is near 1000$
Maybe we are in the wrong niche :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why is it costing you so much to create your books?

My entire costs so far have been less than $200.00

I don't think this is the wrong niche. I think it's a niche that hasn't caught on yet.

The statistics show a huge increase in ebook sales for children over the last two years and I think it will continue to grow.

The thing to keep in mind is that Amazon, and publishing isn't really Fastlane on its own.

You'll need to build a library of books and do things differently from standard authors if you want to grow with picture books.

This isn't a short-term route to success, but I think it is a route if you have quality books that create real value.

Mialove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 12, 2014
My English is very poor, so i need to hire a ghost writers for my ideas, but the main cost is illustrations.
Can't get it done for less than 200$ per book.
You do your own illustration and writing, so it's different cost.

Yep, i am not looking for a short-term, but if i will see that there is no way i am getting my money back on investment, it won't do anything good to my motivation :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Update:
Published 3 books this morning. 1 is live and the other two are in review. None of these are picture books, just taking a stab at a new genre to see how things play out. The first book is on regular Kindle and is the main focus. The second book is a short guide available on KDP at a low price. Later I'll lower it to free and use it to draw traffic to my other books, and the website. The third book wasn't going to be a book at all and was planned as a website freebie, but it ended up long enough to be a book so I decided to publish it. It will be available on the website for free, but requires mailing list sign up.

With these three books I'm going to try to capture the attention of a new audience and get them to the site with freebies. Once at the site they'll have additional freebies available for signing up on the mailing list. This is slightly different from my previous tries which directed people straight to the mailing list to get their freebies.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Update

This morning I finished a book that I had planned to finish several days ago. It was originally supposed to be around 5000 words but somehow magically transformed into over 22000 and 100 plus pages with images. Luckily I was ready to hit publish this morning.

I also made it about halfway through designing two new picture books. They're taking extra time since I'm making them all longer and more interactive than before.

I created an account with Smashwords and the book released today will be my first trial run.

Still haven't moved forward with any audio recording. I'm getting there but haven't made time. Maybe I'll get to it next week once the two picture books are released.

Sales are still climbing and if they continue as they have it will be the first month of more than 1 sale every day. Also I haven't ran any promos this month and all sales have been at full price so this is my highest sales month so far.

I'm intending to release a total of 3 picture books and 2 short guides later this month so things are about to get very exciting!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Update

The last week or two has been extremely busy. I'd love to say I've been working on picture books, but I simply don't have enough hours in the day right now. The short guides I published a couple weeks ago are doing better than the picture books and my sales have increased quite a bit over all previous months with 0 promotions and 0 marketing. For that reason I've been spending a few hours a day working on more short guides, several of which will be ready to release next week. They would already be released, but I'm also working on something else. Something I haven't seen done before.

On Monday I started a new pen name for fiction books. I began typing at 3 am (my normal waking hours) and wrote for roughly 8 hours total, hitting just over 8,000 words. I've done this every day this week and when I finish tomorrow I'll have about 41,000 words typed and the first installment finished. I've been waiting until the next day to proof & edit each section since I'm doing it on my own, and I think it's helping immensely and I feel comfortable with the end result. The cover is finished, and I'm pretty sure I'm on to something with this, but I won't know until the end of next week at the earliest. There's quite a bit more to the story than what I'm writing in this paragraph, but I'm not ready to release details just yet.

Overall by the end of tomorrow I will have easily typed over 60,000 words this week (between the guides and the fiction), which feels like an accomplishment. Hopefully it ends up being worth it. I'd really like to get my numbers up so I can start focusing on actually making these ideas Fastlane.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
On Monday I started a new pen name for fiction books. I began typing at 3 am (my normal waking hours) and wrote for roughly 8 hours total, hitting just over 8,000 words. I've done this every day this week and when I finish tomorrow I'll have about 41,000 words typed and the first installment finished.
Holy crap! Those are some seriously impressive word counts. I'm in awe!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks!

It helps being among the top .001% of typists in the world.

:D

Now I wish I started writing in high school!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
UPDATE

A lot in the works this week...

First of all, I've decided to slow my picture book making wayyy down, because I need to focus elsewhere for a moment. @Selfy suggested marketing picture books in Germany to see how they do, so I contacted some of my friends that speak German and asked if they would translate. They agreed to do this for free, and the language is native for them so I expect to be ready to publish those in a week or so.

In the meantime most of my updates will be regarding the new penname. It's completely blank right now, but as of Monday it will have it's first published work. It's in a fiction genre, and I'll try to post updates weekly. I don't want to release details yet, but I'm pretty confident I've discovered a way to dominate the genre (and maybe any fiction genre) and capitalize on every aspect of KDP Select, including borrows.

All I can say at this point is that I'm super anxious about this, to the point of losing sleep as I count down the hours until Monday. Then it's go time.

Will it work? Time will tell, but I've got that gut feeling.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

The more I think about it the clearer it becomes that this can't and won't fail.

It's go time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.