The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learn to Code in 9 Weeks?!?

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
http://www.businessinsider.com/guy-spent-11000-on-a-coding-bootcamp-and-doubled-his-salary-2013-4

Thought that was a pretty cool article on a fastlane approach for people that want to jump into tech. Less than $10k for 9-12 weeks of intense coding with a guarantee of a six figure job (slowlane) or less than 1 fiscal quarter and you're ready to launch your startup...

Kinda cool take on it is one of the schools takes a 15% rip on your first year salary out of the school, but offers the bootcamp for free...

With the amount of people talking about coding and learning it, I'd say 3 months is near nothing to take your shot at your fastlane tech idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What's more impressive is he didn't go back to school and waste 2 years and $100,000 on some outdated language not even used any more, but still taught in college because the bureaucrats move like molasses.

Kinda cool take on it is one of the schools takes a 15% rip on your first year salary out of the school, but offers the bootcamp for free...

I love the performance business model. You know the product is good if the company makes nothing on lack of success.

Thread moved outside.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I actually once had a die-hard slowlaner tell me, "if you just learn code on your own, without a degree, no one will hire you."

Well one, I'm not trying to get a job, I'm starting a business

And two, anyone with a decent knowledge of coding can become a web developer, which requires no degree, just knowledge, and can pay six-figures, which isn't bad if you're okay with slowlaning.

I guess many people don't consider actually why they are in post-secondary and are just following the crowd. If a degree to please an employer is your goal, it takes a master's to stand out, and even that doesn't guarantee a job. So many of these students are going to be spending 6 years or more of their lives and thousands of dollars studying for a piece of paper which may or may not please an employer. And if they do get a job, by that time they won't be living nearly as well as us fastlaners.

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
Hey MJ, I'm embarrassed to say that this is my first thread, and the first that you have commented on.

It has been a wild adventure since dropping a note in your orange Lamborghini.

Looking forward to being more active on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey MJ, I'm embarrassed to say that this is my first thread, and the first that you have commented on.
It has been a wild adventure since dropping a note in your orange Lamborghini.

Ha Ha, I do remember that. Didn't seem very long ago.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I can attest to the fact you can learn to code this fast. Good on these guys, WAY better than a com-sci degree. I've worked with guys with PHD's in Computer Science, that performed terribly in the real world of programming.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.