The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on a business that involves renting out physical products?

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
It wasn't a business it was just to make some money for himself. He took over 100K out of that deal after 3 years, not bad for some startup cash. In those same years we were working together I lost about 30-50K in trading options. Each to their own.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest24480

It wasn't a business it was just to make some money for himself. He took over 100K out of that deal after 3 years, not bad for some startup cash. In those same years we were working together I lost about 30-50K in trading options. Each to their own.
I think what he meant was the guy from the oil company that decided to rent it for three years should be fired, not your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
I think its actually really common in the oil field sector. I fly often upto the oil sands in Canada. These are operations that have been around a long time and will continue to be around for a very long time.

Everything around the camp's is rented. The lighting all is rented from hertz. We as the airline are "rented" they used to run their own airline to move their people.

It seems they only want to do OIL and nothing else. Not sure if its liability or what but they keep outsourcing more and more to rental options even though they are in it long term.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I think its actually really common in the oil field sector. I fly often upto the oil sands in Canada. These are operations that have been around a long time and will continue to be around for a very long time.

Everything around the camp's is rented. The lighting all is rented from hertz. We as the airline are "rented" they used to run their own airline to move their people.

It seems they only want to do OIL and nothing else. Not sure if its liability or what but they keep outsourcing more and more to rental options even though they are in it long term.

This makes sense to me. If you have a job that requires a special piece of machinery for you to complete it and it could produce $30k/mo but you have to spend $15k per month to get it it's really a no brainier. My guess, and I am no expert in the oil industry, is that it is a very equipment intensive business ie lots of capital required, so rather then taking out a ton of debt, that they may or may not have access to they just rent. These companies could already be maxed out on their available credit and I am guessing that banks would charge them a risk premium. It is easier to scale renting because you need less upfront capital and you can move faster. This company only had to come up with $15k for the first month vs. $150k. So if they are sitting on $150k in cash they could rent 10 of these vs. buy one.

I regularly see things like this in the construction industry and most of the contractors will just price the cost of the equipment rental into their bids. We contracted out a large sandblasting contract and the lions share of bids submitted included line items for equipment rental. Even the contractors who owned most of their own equipment still bid very close as they are accounting for the maintenance etc as well as pricing in an ROI for the equipment investment.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Here's an example of a company that had $153,125 in revenue in 2010 and in 2013 has done $85,000,000 in revenue.

They did this by renting out physical items.

Reliant Asset Management

"Builds, acquires, and leases commercial modular office buildings, schools, hospitals, and temporary structures including remote workforce housing."

http://www.inc.com/profile/reliant-asset-management

G

Guest24480

Here's an example of a company that had $153,125 in revenue in 2010 and in 2013 has done $85,000,000 in revenue.

They did this by renting out physical items.

Reliant Asset Management

"Builds, acquires, and leases commercial modular office buildings, schools, hospitals, and temporary structures including remote workforce housing."

http://www.inc.com/profile/reliant-asset-management
Interesting. In 2010 they had 4 employees and in 2013 they had 145. Shows that to scale your business, addition of employees is critical. You can't do it all yourself

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
G

Guest24480

What do you guys think about a renting approach that targets college students? Would this be a profitable niche to approach? In my experience, most college students don't have the money to drop a bunch on new appliances/electronics for apartments or dorms, and would be willing to rent as a result. Thoughts?

Mr.International

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 22, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
It's pure profits right now.

Cost for me was: 5x shipping containers ($3k each); so = about $20k with everything paid for and delivered.

I rent them out to construction companies: $500-600 a month (2500-3000 a month). I currently deal with 1 company who's renting 5 from me a month. So I already made back my money + profits in year 1, now it's all pure profit (I'm 20, it's a nice little passive income while I'm in university).

I'm looking for ways to scale, to get more construction companies, aiming for 10-30k a month (so need about 20 containers out, which doesn't seem like a lot...). If you find customers and you can scale, you can make amazing profits. Most people in my area (Toronto) sell the containers... I couldn't find a lot that rented. So I decided to hit that market. Construction companies would rather rent since they're mostly seasonal, so why carry the extra inventory when its just sitting there when you can just rent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.International

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 22, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
Interesting business model. Are theses containers for living or for shipping? Do you pay a company to move the containers to and from job sites? If so what do you pay? Do you make the construction companies sign long term contracts or pay month to month? Does your monthly fee include moving? Thanks for your time.

Mr.International

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 22, 2013
Ft. Worth, Texas
Interesting business model. Are theses containers for living or for shipping? Do you pay a company to move the containers to and from job sites? If so what do you pay? Do you make the construction companies sign long term contracts or pay month to month? Does your monthly fee include moving? Thanks for your time.

@MoneyDoc

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014

Please SEARCH before posting.