The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$350 for a parked domain? SOLD!

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
So a few years back I was getting heavy into the whole niche website landscape. Had some profitable sites up and was buying domains left and right after my KW research. Somewhere along the lines I thought "Hey, let's niche up the dating niche". People like Star Trek (I do not) and people like to date (sure did!) so I put two and two together - BOOM! Trekkie Dating! I bought the domain and let it sit. And sit. And sit. I was working on a ton of other things so I probably threw it up on Sedo and forgot about it. Actually, that's exactly what happened.

Fast forward a few years to a few days ago. I check my email and see an email from Sedo. I received an offer of $350 for my Trekkie Dating domain. I login (first time in years) and there it was. Confirmed offer. I thought "wow, easy money!". But a little problem. I don't own the domain. I let it drop. Well there went my $345 profit.

I decide to check out the domain and to my surprise, there is a Trekkie Dating site up and running. I decide to look a little more into it. Looks like they got a ton of press for the site as well. Press from all the places you would want to get press from if you owned a website. Good for them. Looks like I wasn't the only one thinking of Spock ears and Klingons.

Like everyone always says, Ideas are worthless. Some guy/gal was probably pissed that the domain was taken when they thought of this idea. They were ready to crush it once I let that domain drop.

To infinity and beyond! eh, meant Live long and prosper

9zV22XX.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bartez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2014
Poland, EU
cosmodates.com domain is free, maybe there is another dating niche worth considering?

D

DeletedUser394

I offered a guy $1,500 for my name as a .com (it's his name too).

He turned me down multiple times because he was planning something 'huge' and it was worth more than that in his mind.

He ran it for a few months as a cheap blog, and it's just sitting there idle for months. Idiot. I'll end up buying it for $10 when it expires. He lost out on making 150x his money for no work.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
cosmodates.com domain is free, maybe there is another dating niche worth considering?

Not worth it. Always think big, and this opportunity wasn't one of those times.

Though you could get some experience and dive in. Start some kind of Cosplay dating site.

Get to work!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
I offered a guy $1,500 for my name as a .com (it's his name too).

He turned me down multiple times because he was planning something 'huge' and it was worth more than that in his mind.

He ran it for a few months as a cheap blog, and it's just sitting there idle for months. Idiot. I'll end up buying it for $10 when it expires. He lost out on making 150x his money for no work.

Just so happens I share the same name as a NYT best selling author... Mark Bowden

So the domain name is held hostage by someone wanting a pay day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.