The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Out of a Funk - a Newbie's Journey In Self Publishing

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
That's your rank? Honey, that's good! Way better than my latest romance. Don't expect miracles your first time out of the gate. Get on another horse! The only guarantee of success in this business is persistence, and it sometimes takes a while.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
That's your rank? Honey, that's good! Way better than my latest romance. Don't expect miracles your first time out of the gate. Get on another horse! The only guarantee of success in this business is persistence, and it sometimes takes a while.

hahahahahaha NOOOOOOOOOO....how many words I've written in my new book silly COSenior...I'm no where near your rank!!!! Thanks for thinking it could be possible though, lol!!

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
16,500..written - Have had a lot going on. At this rate it will take me a year to finish. Ha. Read @ChickenHawk and she talked about not trying to mix or change a genre. This was good for me to read because I have a small bit of romance in my book brewing but it really is not the main part of the story. I want to be careful how I integrate it. I set it up in the first book so I feel ok playing it out but the focus in the story really is the paranormal incidents not the romance exactly. I may have a lot of editing to do when this one is done. I had hoped to make this a full length novel and not a novella. I''ll have to see.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Just crossed 20,000 words. I'm pretty sure I will be able to end in the 50,000 - 60,000 range...not sure if that is good or not. Not sure if I should hit another Novella because a number of my reviews mentioned it being a quick read...on a positive level. So...again, I am writing I'll see where it takes me. I like this story line I am developing. Still figuring out how to playout the bit of romance that is in there.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
26,500 current word count. Have decided to try and press 100,000. Research shows that best sellers are above 100,000 generally. Have a pretty clear story and plot lines going on so that helps. Now just finding the time to write and get the first draft done.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Lost 1000 words I wrote last weekend by not saving my document properly, and no...I was not able to retrieve it from words tmp files either...I think I shut my computer before it had finished saving. very annoying. So, I spent last night reconstructing it. So, still at 26,500 words. This is the first time I've done that and what annoys me is I have it saved usually in "the cloud" but that makes me nervous so I've been trying to remember to save it there and on my desktop. I was using my tablet this weekend and it is a slower processor and I didn't notice how long it was taking to save. I was saving everything to my desktop and still screwed it up. Agrrr.

I need to start setting goals and stop reporting status because I'm not being accountable to my writing time so here it is:
1. Write a first draft 80-100,000 words
2. By 8/31 be at least at 30,000. Haven't had as much time to write but also have squandered time I did have. :(

I'm feeling a little deflated because I'm worried a bit that I'll write 100,000 words...that won't be successful, and I've wasted a ton of time and then on the other I guess maybe its all good practice and on the job learning, right? I could just suck though and I could be in the wrong genre and I may be barking up the wrong tree all together.

Right now I am trying to be more descriptive in my first draft than I was in the first draft of my first book but still really just trying to get the story down on paper, with the idea that I will go back and develop some of the ideas better on second draft. I did learn a good lesson on the first book, haste to publishing can have some negative side affects. I'm impatient, I need to slow down. I have always been a "teller" of stories and it is actually a natural thing for me and it is problematic when attempting to "show" not "tell". A lot of times in my mind, I look at it and I think I'm showing but then I realize, nope....I'm telling again. I hope it is a habit I can break and or/ convert and work through. I've recently read some good books on showing not telling and am listening to a Great Courses, course, on writing better sentences and I have to say I've gotten quite a lot out of it. I'd recommend it to any writer, novice or not.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I'm feeling a little deflated because I'm worried a bit that I'll write 100,000 words...that won't be successful, and I've wasted a ton of time and then on the other I guess maybe its all good practice and on the job learning, right? I could just suck though and I could be in the wrong genre and I may be barking up the wrong tree all together.
I think we all get that sinking feeling sometimes, I know I do. And then I recall that someone, somewhere has been quoted as saying you have to write some horrendous number of words - a million? - before you're really good. I'm halfway there, but man, I wish there were a faster process. Each time I finish a book, I think, this is the best one yet. Two weeks later, I'm mentally tearing it apart and have totally lost faith in it, so I try again.

You're doing all the right things. Just keep writing.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I think we all get that sinking feeling sometimes, I know I do. And then I recall that someone, somewhere has been quoted as saying you have to write some horrendous number of words - a million? - before you're really good. I'm halfway there, but man, I wish there were a faster process. Each time I finish a book, I think, this is the best one yet. Two weeks later, I'm mentally tearing it apart and have totally lost faith in it, so I try again.

You're doing all the right things. Just keep writing.

Hmmm. Thanks. A million words huh? Ok. I guess this whole thing is a process.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hmmm. Thanks. A million words huh? Ok. I guess this whole thing is a process.

Definitely a process. And if a million words is all it takes we should consider ourselves lucky haha.

The popular timetable for gaining mastery over a skill is generally 10,000 hours.

That means 13 hour days for the next two years!

If you write 100,000 words a month you'll reach a million long before 2 years.

(However if you write only 50,000 it stretches to almost the same amount of time.)

How many words a month are you writing?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
How many words a month are you writing?
So far this month, I've written just over 83k words. That's not quite my usual production, due to out of town trips and editing gigs. @LisaK? Are you keeping a log?

BTW, I don't count words I throw out. Maybe another 5k of eliminated scenes.

carozy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 10, 2012
San Francisco
... I've recently read some good books on showing not telling and am listening to a Great Courses, course, on writing better sentences and I have to say I've gotten quite a lot out of it. I'd recommend it to any writer, novice or not.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just bought the course a day ago but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. However from the description, it looks great. Looking forward to learning from it.

I have a few books on showing and not telling, and also a book that says you should tell first and then revise and show later, sort of like a story dump, and then rewrite it (showing) to make it better. Either way, the books really opened my eyes about the power of showing in writing.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I have a few books on showing and not telling, and also a book that says you should tell first and then revise and show later, sort of like a story dump, and then rewrite it (showing) to make it better. Either way, the books really opened my eyes about the power of showing in writing.

Thanks! That is a good idea. In this first draft I know I have not been consistent and my habit is to tell. So I like that your suggestion helps take some of the pressure off of always doing it right the first time. I do need to just get the story out right now.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
So far this month, I've written just over 83k words. That's not quite my usual production, due to out of town trips and editing gigs. @LisaK? Are you keeping a log?

BTW, I don't count words I throw out. Maybe another 5k of eliminated scenes.

No, I'm not keeping a log...you mean how many words I've written daily? How are you doing it?

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Of course it's a process! Everything is except maybe a lottery win. Even that is more likely to happen if you continually buy tickets. Seriously, have you read TMFL? Yes, it's a process.

YES I've read TMFL....I know, I know....process, process....sometimes...I do wish the process and learning curve were shorter. :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
you mean how many words I've written daily? How are you doing it?
I use Scrivener to write, and it will keep a count. If you use Word, you can get a total count. I have a spreadsheet to record it in. For each of my pen names: Total words|Today's count|Weekly total|Remaining Goal for week|Remaining goal to finish. I use formulas to calculate all of that, and also add up total words for all pen names. Since I write for two different books almost every day, that total interests me. Yes, I'm a nerd. :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
The Goal -- 2. By 8/31 be at least at 30,000 words.
Unfortunately...failed at 27,900 is where I'm at....

New goal 30,000 by 9/7/14 or before.
Please take out the 'failed' word. You fell a little short of the goal, but nearly 28k words is far from a failure. Don't let that discourage you, don't let the fact that others write more words per day or week or month discourage you. You don't know their circumstances, and they don't know yours. The important thing is that you are writing, you're striving for goals, and you're setting goals that are just a bit of a stretch so you can challenge yourself to reach further and further. You are ahead of the masses.

PS, so far I'm almost 6k behind my weekly goal. To make it, I'll have to write 14k today. Ain't gonna happen, and I'm fine with it. It isn't a test score, it's a target.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
I use Scrivener to write, and it will keep a count. If you use Word, you can get a total count. I have a spreadsheet to record it in. For each of my pen names: Total words|Today's count|Weekly total|Remaining Goal for week|Remaining goal to finish. I use formulas to calculate all of that, and also add up total words for all pen names. Since I write for two different books almost every day, that total interests me. Yes, I'm a nerd. :)

I also use scrivener, it's an amazing tool.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Please take out the 'failed' word. You fell a little short of the goal, but nearly 28k words is far from a failure. Don't let that discourage you, don't let the fact that others write more words per day or week or month discourage you. You don't know their circumstances, and they don't know yours. The important thing is that you are writing, you're striving for goals, and you're setting goals that are just a bit of a stretch so you can challenge yourself to reach further and further. You are ahead of the masses.

PS, so far I'm almost 6k behind my weekly goal. To make it, I'll have to write 14k today. Ain't gonna happen, and I'm fine with it. It isn't a test score, it's a target.

OK. Maybe I was being harsh with myself but I was annoyed that I missed my mark. I'm afraid a little that I will allow myself to flounder. Sometimes I really feel like I can do this. I may or may not be writing in the right genre, but, you're right, I am writing. Still plagued with self doubt.....some days I think "Yea, look at me go!" and then other days I'm like "WTF do you think you're doing?" I think I'm pretty close to break even with my first book, but that said....I haven't even paid for my expenses to write the book. Argh. If my second book doesn't get any traction, what should I do? I don't know. Thanks for the pep talk....

Good news: Goal for 30,000 words by 9/7 - Done :) 30,495

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013

By the way with Word, you have just to select the document or part of the document that you want and you have on the bottom the number of words.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
OK. Maybe I was being harsh with myself but I was annoyed that I missed my mark. I'm afraid a little that I will allow myself to flounder. Sometimes I really feel like I can do this. I may or may not be writing in the right genre, but, you're right, I am writing. Still plagued with self doubt.....some days I think "Yea, look at me go!" and then other days I'm like "WTF do you think you're doing?" I think I'm pretty close to break even with my first book, but that said....I haven't even paid for my expenses to write the book. Argh. If my second book doesn't get any traction, what should I do? I don't know. Thanks for the pep talk....

Good news: Goal for 30,000 words by 9/7 - Done :) 30,495
All of us get that now and then. I get it at around the 25% mark of any new book. If your second book doesn't get any traction, write a third. Except for the outliers that no one can explain, the lowest number of books that I've seen for real, sustainable, living income is seven books. That's seven with the same author name. But getting there can still provide a nice boost to income. The thrillers that I write with another forum member are beginning to supply us each with a low 4-figure income per month, and that's with three published and one just finished in first draft. It isn't the most popular genre, but it's one we both like, so it just goes to show that writing what you like has its benefits.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
All of us get that now and then. I get it at around the 25% mark of any new book. If your second book doesn't get any traction, write a third. Except for the outliers that no one can explain, the lowest number of books that I've seen for real, sustainable, living income is seven books. That's seven with the same author name. But getting there can still provide a nice boost to income. The thrillers that I write with another forum member are beginning to supply us each with a low 4-figure income per month, and that's with three published and one just finished in first draft. It isn't the most popular genre, but it's one we both like, so it just goes to show that writing what you like has its benefits.

Thank you. That is really helpful information! I would love a low 4 figure income from writing ....I may not be that good though... so...hmm. That is interesting that you write with someone, is that hard? Does one do the writing and you come up with ideas together or both write?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Thank you. That is really helpful information! I would love a low 4 figure income from writing ....I may not be that good though... so...hmm. That is interesting that you write with someone, is that hard? Does one do the writing and you come up with ideas together or both write?
If you can tell a story, you can be that good. Everything but the creativity of the story can be learned.

My collaboration with @mossie started as a client/vendor relationship. I ghost-wrote health books for laymen to his specifications. Today we are equal partners in fiction writing, and the simple answer is, he comes up with the plot and most of the research I need to write it. I do all of the writing. In practice, though, we speak by Skype almost daily during the week, and discuss how the story should go, whether our characters are acting 'in character' and other stuff that is unrelated, but helps us shape the worldview behind the story. It isn't hard now, but we did have to work together long enough to trust being completely honest with each other. I attribute the success we're beginning to see to his marketing skills and ability to craft a great plot as much as to my writing ability.

If you'd like to know more, his thread is at https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/new-kid-on-the-block.51777

Last edited by a moderator:

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
If you can tell a story, you can be that good. Everything but the creativity of the story can be learned.

My collaboration with @mossie started as a client/vendor relationship. I ghost-wrote health books for laymen to his specifications. Today we are equal partners in fiction writing, and the simple answer is, he comes up with the plot and most of the research I need to write it. I do all of the writing. In practice, though, we speak by Skype almost daily during the week, and discuss how the story should go, whether our characters are acting 'in character' and other stuff that is unrelated, but helps us shape the worldview behind the story. It isn't hard now, but we did have to work together long enough to trust being completely honest with each other. I attribute the success we're beginning to see to his marketing skills and ability to craft a great plot as much as to my writing ability.

If you'd like to know more, his thread is at https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/new-kid-on-the-block.51777

Hey! Thanks so much! You continue to be a helpful, steady support and I really appreciate it more than I can say.

Last edited by a moderator:

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
36,500 words- I think I am on tract to be in the 60,000-70,000 word count but I wanted to be higher.

On vacation visiting my family, I've been able to write a little more...next goal 42,000 by 9/21 41,500 was the total of The Calling, my first book.

My cute little Grandma read my book and said she liked it, she is 89 :) I made her promise to give me an honest review and she assured me she would. It's a secret between my Grandma and me. Still not ready for my total clan to know what I'm up to. I'd of course like to have some tangible success before letting everyone know.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
I guess I write in spurts. Sort of slow going this last week. I think I'm around 42,000 I better get moving. I need to make specific goals. So need to b at 45,000 by 10/2- maybe that will keep me on task

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.