The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

RICH KIDS

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
So wait, you think the driver of the vehicle is pompous because he drives a nice car and said "yep" to some random stranger? What did you want him to say? "be my friend" ?

Most guys start a conversation or say thanks in a more respectful way instead of "Yep". There's a level civility. Disagree all you want, but no matter how hard you try to twist it, "Yep", was pretty weird.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Most guys start a conversation or say thanks in a more respectful way instead of "Yep". There's a level civility. Disagree all you want, but no matter how hard you try to twist it, "Yep", was pretty weird.
i agree with tommy

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I disagree, I don't owe you shit, lol.

Next time a homeless person asks you for change and you just keep walking, remember this hypocrisy.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
In front of our sixth-grader, we've started underplaying the amount of money we're making. A couple days ago, he decided he needed new inline skate wheels. They were $72, not an unreasonable sum. But his skates were less than a couple months old, so this seemed a bit extravagant. I told him he could earn the money by weeding all the front flower beds -- a job that I knew would take him about six hours. (It would've taken me only two.)

Yes, I could've given him the money. And yes, I could've paid someone else to weed the flower beds. But I'm determined that if we continue to have financial success, that our son won't become a self-entitled snot as a result. Yesterday, he spent all day weeding those flower beds, and now when he gets his wheels, he can have the pride of accomplishment along with a new toy. And I bet he appreciates those wheels a lot more than if I'd just given him the loot.

Sometimes, I think people of all socioeconomic classes make things too easy for their kids, and it doesn't do them any favors later on.
Brilliant parenting he knows the value of them plus it saves you doing an unwanted job lol.

My Mum and Dad both came from very poor backgrounds, god my Mum didn't even have a bath in her first house and used a communal toilet.
They are successful now my parents have a popular business in Glasgow and a portfolio of property's, stock shares and investments.
He still gets up every morning at 6.30am every morning for work when he probably doesn't have too.
They have spoiled me and I was an arse when I was younger but as someone said its my parents money not mine.
I want to accomplish my own in life and Im glad they have now installed a good work ethic in me.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
I don't see what he did as pompous. I see your "Nice car man!" comment as the same as when people say to me "Remember me when you're rich!" It's a cute compliment at first, but after a while you get bored by it and see the latent envy in it.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I disagree, I don't owe you shit, lol.

Next time a homeless person asks you for change and you just keep walking, remember this hypocrisy.
No it's not. Change is a form of currency, what I did was free.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
:D

Ah, the taste of free speech.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Well I mean I know I'm not liked on this forum and that's ok, but my point was that if he could even respond with "yep",... There's more to it. There's a level if social interact that you should have to change that "yep" to "thanks", if you're going to respond at all.

But if no one noticed his car, bet everyone would be saying "well they're just jealous he can afford it!" But if someone compliments it "well he is tired of the attention".....

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
In all fairness to him, its not like he didn't know it was a nice car. In essence he was just agreeing with you.
He could have been like, "Yeah, you should see my Royce."

My friends dad has an Audi R8 and he would get stupid remarks all the time. The biggest one was, "I'll trade you!", followed by a joking laugh with a hint of envy.
He just started saying, "Yeah, I'll trade you for 200 thousand in cash."

I wonder if there is a rant thread about him somewhere. Aha

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
52317491.jpg

I guess it was distasteful of him. A comment like that can make you feel sour, and it doesn't take much effort on his part to just say 'thanks man, I love it myself.'

But he still doesn't owe you anything. No matter how little it costs.

'Manners cost naught' is another case of sidewalkian entitlement in disguise (not always, but in this case, I believe it is)

'Manners cost naught... so give them to me.'

(Everything costs something. For him it was perhaps his emotional expenditure. Or the tiredness of feigning kindness. Perhaps a bout of arrogance, whatever, but that's beside the point really.)

To demonstrate my point...

@MJ DeMarco $100 is nothing to you so give it to me.

No?

Well, screw you then, you pompous a$$.

(this was sarcastic, I am not actually asking him for $100 people, please do not set me on fire.)

Well I mean I know I'm not liked on this forum

I don't have a problem with you. I disagree with your opinion on a certain topic. It's okay for people to disagree without becoming enemies.

EDITED TO MAKE THE IMAGE APPEAR.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Good points, and no I don't find you as an enemy

D

DeletedUser394

It wasn't weird at all. What was weird was that you were expecting some kind of conversation to spring up from it. You felt he owed you something.

I get messages on here rather frequently. Half the time I never answer. Why? Not because I'm trying to be an a**hole, but for a variety of reasons. I could be having a bad day, could be really busy, could have slipped my mind and got buried by even more messages. I could be about to step out to run an errand. Sometimes I just don't want to answer the same stupid question (or remark) for the millionth time. Countless reasons.

Just because someone makes a point of contacting me, doesn't mean that I have to go out of my way to respond to them.

It's not like the nice car guy was required to acknowledge you at all. In fact, couple weeks back I just happened to be walking by a guy getting into his 458. I glanced at his car, but I didn't say anything to him. Why? Because I figured he probably hears a variety of the same stupid comments dozens of times a day. Dude was just out doing some quick grocery shopping, so I let him be.

He could have also been caught off guard. More story time: Back in the day, when the first Ipod Touch came out I managed to get one before they were available in the country. We were kids at the time (16-ish?), so I was just taking it out to check texts or whatever when I was swarmed by people who couldn't believe how 'cool' and 'awesome' it was. I was completely caught off guard because to me it wasn't anything special, so I was rather uncomfortable with the positive comments from my classmates.

As one rapper once said 'It ain't tricking if you got it' (might have been Ludacris.. doesn't matter though lol)

I know a car is a much bigger representation, but it's the same with everything.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Un-F*cking-real how this is twisted on me.

Stop making me seem to entitled, I'M NOT. HE DID NOT OWE ME ANYTHING. My point was is that if you're going to respond at all, change the "Yep" to a "Thanks" because the "Yep" make him sound like a real douchebag. If you're going to change it to "Well, actually, sport... YOU are the one who was the weirdo because you complimented his car and ... *GASP* expected him to reply with something as little as "Thank you' and not "yep", well then you are just out of your mind!".

I get it, you guys with nice cars don't owe anyone anything, so on and so fourth. Driving around in a high end car makes its really hard to function because of how many people notice it, life it tough. But why be a dick if you're going to say anything at all? And yes, that's how it came off. Then you're going to open up the next can of worms 'WELL HOW DO YOU KNOW HE WASN'T HAVING A BAD DAY!".

Shit man, unreal. I cannot understand how you can twist this, honestly. You guys must be some totally socially inept assholes. I'm the weirdo for saying something nice, but not the guy who responds like a jerkoff.

Whatever. If I'm the weirdo, good. I'll keep complimenting and the more "normal" guy can keep not owing anyone anything.

Sometimes... you can just be cool to someone without having to owe them anything.

And also, if you're uncomfortable with positive comments and genuinely THAT clueless about people finding a new device cool....

D

Deleted21704

As one rapper once said 'It ain't tricking if you got it' (might have been Ludacris.. doesn't matter though lol)

I was wondering if you were going to respond to this thread...it literally has your name on it!

Lil Wayne in his glory days. One of my favorite lines regarding flaunting is from Rick Ross:

Never front, you take it there, it ain't no comin' back.

Un-F*cking-real how this is twisted on me.

I think you're missing the point. No one owes anyone anything, but you're too quick to ASSUME peoples' intentions. If I reacted to your comment like a dick, in a real-life split-second moment, I'm not NECESSARILY a dick.

How the hell can you assume that anyone, no matter how socially savvy they are, can ALWAYS reply with the PERFECT reaction to your out-of-the-blue remarks? It's silly.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
You're absolutely right. I understand the point that he may have been caught off guard, but this "Owing someone something" is absolutely ridiculous.

You don't owe me anything so you're incapable of saying thanks. That is the most, THE MOST ridiculous thing I think I've ever heard.

D

DeletedUser394

You don't owe me anything so you're incapable of saying thanks. That is the most, THE MOST ridiculous thing I think I've ever heard.

When I hold the door open for people, sometimes they say thank you, and many times they say nothing at all or even acknowledge that I'm there. So what? I can't control how other people are going to react to me in those instances, so I don't worry about it.

Should they be saying thank you? Would be appreciated. But I don't brand them as assholes after a 5 second interaction.

Maybe he totally is/was an a**hole. So? I'm pretty sure he's over the incident by now (lol), although you clearly aren't.

Sometimes we take things way too seriously.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
But it's not just the incident that got to me. I'm not losing sleep over it, it's the IDEA of that incident and the mindset behind it.

Just know that I have good intentions.

Anyway, sorry for the controversy. I didn't mean to piss anyone off, but yeah know. I say some stupid shit. My apologies.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I am only 22, so excuse my possible naivety on this matter.

I think you should give your child some help. they aren't getting a free ride in life, they have to make it on their own. a little bit of help is great however. maybe a large deposit on a house, pay for their college eduction etc.

D

Deleted21704

A seemingly wealthy but principled man named Charles Tips basically answered this exact question on Quora...it's well worth a read to anyone interested in a quality response.

He doesn't explicitly say he's rich, but he does mention 'My wife and I played VC to our kids', and many of the things he mentions wouldn't be practical for a family with lower income. It's quite enlightening.

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
When I was in my early teens, my best friends dad was loaded (my family was barely above the poverty line) but that didn't seem to matter. My friends dad had private jets, helicopters, mansions, the works. His dad owned the apartments we lived in too so that's how we started hanging out. I remember the first time I spoke to him. He had an awesome dirt bike and I came up and told him I liked it and wished I owned one. Even though we were only 13, I didn't get a simple answer or a pompous smirk. In fact, he traded me his dirt bike for my bicycle for the rest of the day. I spent several spring breaks and summer vacations jet setting with my friend to his dad's different homes around the US. Imagine the ego trip when you're 13 and you arrive in a private jet and have a limo waiting for you to pick you up. Or some hot 20 something housekeeper picking you up in a bad a$$ ride. It was something I'll never forget but my friend didn't really boast about it or put too much thought into it. He would always say it's not my money, it's my dads money. Anyway, up until 16, my friend was pretty humble for the most part. He lived with his mom most of the time (divorced parents)and wasn't really exposed to the rich lifestyle. He was pretty humble kid until he knew what his daddy was worth then it all changed.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I guess what these forums haven't taught the OP is that you're not a special snow flake.

Imagine how many people at how many different set of lights told this "pompous" kid "nice car".

So he's supposed to make conversation with each one.. Dude, the one being pompous is you, but you don't have the humility to see it.

Rather ironic given the point of 99% of the posts from mj, zen, vigilante. which you've probably read all of them.

Anyway, you win. You ranted about a kid that snubbed you driving a better car and banging a hotter girl than you. Grow up.

PS for all you know that "kid" is a millionaire fastlaner.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I guess what these forums haven't taught the OP is that you're not a special snow flake.

Imagine how many people at how many different set of lights told this "pompous" kid "nice car".

So he's supposed to make conversation with each one.. Dude, the one being pompous is you, but you don't have the humility to see it.

Rather ironic given the point of 99% of the posts from mj, zen, vigilante. which you've probably read all of them.

Anyway, you win. You ranted about a kid that snubbed you driving a better car and banging a hotter girl than you. Grow up.

PS for all you know that "kid" is a millionaire fastlaner.

To believe pompous is complimenting someone on something they have that is leaps and bounds nicer than mine? I guess I missed it.

Never said I was a special snow flake, but that people should have some civility. As I've said, not a conversation, but the basic social function to change the "Yep" to a "thanks".

I already apologized for being a dick, but nice way to bring it back up.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
You telling him he has a nice car is not pompous. You coming to the forums and ranting about his response to your insignificant remark is.

You think that you are too important, and that is why it bothers you that someone driving a nice car didn't respond to you the way you wanted them to. I actually see this a lot in these forums where people read the TMF and now think they too can walk around like they are MJ with a million dollars in the bank.

The reality is that right now you're a nobody. You got ignored. Your feelings got hurt. Move on with you life. Thea mount of time spent making this thread you could have made some money instead.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Yeah well, that's what you think

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Growing up, I was on both sides of this. When I was a baby, my dad opened a retail store because his back was to the wall and had to make money (some of you need to put yourself there). Within about 3 or 4 years (way before the internet), it grew into multiple stores and wholesaling product in and out the back door. As a family, we did real well for a while: frequent vacations, large house on 7 acres, lots of stuff. My dad grew up poor, and no, I don't mean "lower middle class" poor, I mean poor. He had a label maker that he used to sell labels to kids at school so he could buy books with the money. When he became successful, he wanted me and my sister to have the things that he didn't have when he was a kid. I remember getting a nice mountain bike, and when I got tired of it, I left it out in the yard and let it get rained on. I became spoiled and entitled. There was some good that came from it. I went to a private school, which is a much lesser evil that government school. But nevertheless, I had entitlement issues.

Then, the industry he was in had a huge downturn. Along with that, a few poor business decisions, and the company went bankrupt in 1998 when I was 15. Within the course of a few years this happened, then there were no more handouts. No more expensive mountain bikes. No more big house. No more vacations. I now had to work for everything. The best thing that ever happened to me. It shaped me into the person I am today.

The other aspect of this worth noting is that rich kids feel like they have something to lose. Thus, all of their actions will come from a place of fear, in that they don't want to lose what they have because they have never been without. The reason so many poor kids turn into success stories is not only the fact that they have to work for everything, but that they come from a place of having nothing to lose. Thus, they take risks and roll the dice more often.

These days, when someone successful is offering advice, the first thing I do is investigate how they became successful. If they inherited money, or had a parent help them out with a job, I immediately tune them out. The only people worth listening to are the ones who came from nothing.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Growing up, I was on both sides of this. When I was a baby, my dad opened a retail store because his back was to the wall and had to make money (some of you need to put yourself there). Within about 3 or 4 years (way before the internet), it grew into multiple stores and wholesaling product in and out the back door. As a family, we did real well for a while: frequent vacations, large house on 7 acres, lots of stuff. My dad grew up poor, and no, I don't mean "lower middle class" poor, I mean poor. He had a label maker that he used to sell labels to kids at school so he could buy books with the money. When he became successful, he wanted me and my sister to have the things that he didn't have when he was a kid. I remember getting a nice mountain bike, and when I got tired of it, I left it out in the yard and let it get rained on. I became spoiled and entitled. There was some good that came from it. I went to a private school, which is a much lesser evil that government school. But nevertheless, I had entitlement issues.

Then, the industry he was in had a huge downturn. Along with that, a few poor business decisions, and the company went bankrupt in 1998 when I was 15. Within the course of a few years this happened, then there were no more handouts. No more expensive mountain bikes. No more big house. No more vacations. I now had to work for everything. The best thing that ever happened to me. It shaped me into the person I am today.

The other aspect of this worth noting is that rich kids feel like they have something to lose. Thus, all of their actions will come from a place of fear, in that they don't want to lose what they have because they have never been without. The reason so many poor kids turn into success stories is not only the fact that they have to work for everything, but that they come from a place of having nothing to lose. Thus, they take risks and roll the dice more often.

These days, when someone successful is offering advice, the first thing I do is investigate how they became successful. If they inherited money, or had a parent help them out with a job, I immediately tune them out. The only people worth listening to are the ones who came from nothing.

This is my story to a T. Well, sort of. My parents divorce is what shook things up, but before that we would never have a financial worry.

I'm glad because it's almost like you're working to return to your roots.

You saw what you had, it was taken away, and now you're working hard to get it back.

Would you agree that it's almost a blessing in disguise?

Bartez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2014
Poland, EU
Don't admire them. I mean, that's good if their parents spend money on kids, but those kids should know WHY they have expensive cars or gadgets... I knew this kind of guy, best clothes, best motorbike, but he didn't achieve it- if I would ask him what his proffesion is, he could answer only "I'm son of my father".

Focus on achieving it in your own way. Determined and alone. Don't hate them just because they have rich families, but remember why they have it.

I was always broke as a student- while my cotenant was rich (but only in my eyes though...). He had money- but just because he studied only on weekends, parents were sending him money every month, he could work in slowlane job and get pension just because he WAS ill 2 years ago (now he feels more than good). He has a car, newest phone while I have nothing. But what he does in the evenings? Watches Dragon Ball z episodes, doing nothing and studing worthless subjects. It's about us, not our parents who we are and who we will become. Don't look on other people money, focus on getting your own.

Cheers ;)

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
What do you think of kids who are born into a loaded family?

The oddest thing I've noticed is that there's almost no in between.

I either run into kids who are the most humble, down to earth individuals in the world and end up having a 5 story beach house...

or like yesterday, I saw some kid driving an Sl550 AMG. I said to him at a stop light "Damn man, that's a nice car", and he's in the car with a girl and just goes "...Yep".

That type of pompousness throws me off. People are people, and they're not as open to compliments as you'd think. Hell, I gave a dude a thumbs up when he passed me in a Ferrari and he just sort of tilted his head at me confused. Dude, you're in a Ferrari.

Just a little rant.

There is in between. Everyone has some sort of barrier to strangers

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I think that there really is no black and white way to categorize wealthy people or poor people. I've met wealthy snobs and I've met poor snobs and Just because someone owns something nice, doesn't mean it was handed to them.

There is no value in process when everything is given to you. I'd imagine it would be a terribly empty feeling to have not earned a damn thing in your life, and yet to be surrounded by things.

100% agree with this. A couple of months ago I went to a Lamborghini dealership with my dad just for fun to look at the cars, not because either of us where actually wanting to buy one. The salesperson was telling us about how the week before a guy bought his daughter a 2014 Gallardo as a high school graduation gift- I jokingly nudge my dad and said "dad, why didn't you give me a Gallardo for my graduation gift?" and his response was "Because if I gave you a Lamborghini at 18 years old your life would have no where to go but down, and then you'd commit suicide in 10 years." He was somewhat joking with his response, but it is really true. Kids who are handed everything have such great lives, until reality sets in and they have no where to go but down.

Last edited:
A

Angus

no struggle = no growth

they have to put themselves on death ground to get ahead in life and outshine their parents

if you're born rich you're basically cursed

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.