The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone learned speed reading?

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Speed reading is basically reading fast with great comprehension (not skimming). The average reading speed is about 300 words a minute, but people who can speed read can read two-three and even four times that fast. Just imagine how much it could benefit you in life and business to have that ability (or superpower).

One major part of speed reading is eliminating your subvocalization - your inner voice that says everything as you read. We're learned from early age to read like that, and for most of us, its stayed that way and is limiting our reading speed to a great degree.

I've learned to eliminate my subvocalization and can read a lot faster. However, I want to take my reading speed to the next level, but don't want to waste my time on techniques/courses/books that aren't efficient.

Has anyone mastered the art of speed reading, and can give us others some tips? How did you learn it, what books and courses would you recommend etc.

Feel free to discuss and ask questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Well, there is one technique I know about that works really well.

Basically, the thing that slows people down the most is physically having to move your eyes across the page. So by using your peripheral vision, you can lower the amount of eye movements per line.

So instead of reading this line by putting your eyes where I have bolded it

You would read this line by looking where I have bolded and underlined it.

This utilizes the edges of your vision better.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I have a chip surgically implanted in my skull. I can download anything I want to read via bluetooth. It isn't directly connected to the memory connections, but the technology allows my to focus on that specific part of my brain, which then increases blood flow to that part, which results in the information being passed to my short term memory. The trick is breaking it into the long term memory section.

Naw...that's :totalbs:.

Anyway...I've practiced speed reading quite a long time ago and still use it. Problem I found is that it's fine for lighter reading. The more technical and detailed the reading is....I'm forced to slow down because I have more words to focus on...can't skip over so many. Overall though, I can brief through quit a bit and get the major ideas and some details.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
Try the above mentioned technique using peripheral vision and also cover up the upper line (you know, the line you just read) of text with a white note card in order to prevent your eye from re-scanning the line a second time. You can also draw a line about half an inch in on each side of the block of text and as you are scanning your text lines, don't "read" the text that falls outside the lines. Instead, use your peripheral vision to see those words. Keep scanning the text that falls between the lines.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Also I think The more you ready you'll naturally become a faster reader as well, my step sister does nothing but read and her reading speed is 4 times faster than mine.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I read a book on it when I was 8 and have been doing it ever since. My English/Writing teacher always thought I was kidding when I turned in a book and paper I had read during class that was supposed to be next days assignment. It takes a while to take in everything while speed reading, but it can be done.

ChristopherP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 11, 2014
New Jersey, USA
Related to this, I recently discovered Spritz which skips the learning process of a speed reading "method" and simply leverages technology to speed up reading by eliminating eye movement. I love it, unfortunately all the ebook reading options using this so far(on Android at least) suck a lot. I'll be keeping an eye out though.

Considering all of my reading is digital, if this got worked into GooGle Books I'd be all set.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
There's a plugin for Chrome/Firefox/Safari and it's also available as an app called Spritz/Spritzlet that I have used and it essentially does what @LibertyForMe posted. It opens a new small window over the webpage and puts one word up at a time with the focal point of the word bolded, underlined and in red and you can select different speeds to read. Focus is key for making an app like this useful, but it truly does speed up reading everything (Even Fastlane Posts!). I would recommend it for sure.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Related to this, I recently discovered Spritz which skips the learning process of a speed reading "method" and simply leverages technology to speed up reading by eliminating eye movement. I love it, unfortunately all the ebook reading options using this so far(on Android at least) suck a lot. I'll be keeping an eye out though.

Considering all of my reading is digital, if this got worked into GooGle Books I'd be all set.

Whoops didn't reload the page before posting mine, sorry to double up!

I second this post - Spritz is a worthwhile tool.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

WOW. I just installed the Spritzlet Bookmark. That is amazing. I wish it worked for PDF files. The Readsy website crashes a lot.

Edit.
I found a Crome App called Spreed too. It works really well.

Last edited:

MrShah

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 10, 2014
Tony Buzan's speed reading. There are quite a good number of self tests to solve and techniques to improve your reading speed and comprehension. I've personally improved my reading speed to 300+ wpm thanks to the methods discussed. Highly recommended for a beginner

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
Tony Buzan's speed reading. There are quite a good number of self tests to solve and techniques to improve your reading speed and comprehension. I've personally improved my reading speed to 300+ wpm thanks to the methods discussed. Highly recommended for a beginner
I second that. Tony Buzan's stuff rocks.

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Practice, practice and practice, I feel blessed to have loved reading since I was 9 and after insatiably reading for the last 10 years i've come to the point where i'm reading around 120 pages an hour while retaining most the content.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
I am currently taking a course at Udemy covering this topic. Its called "Become a Superlearner - Speed reading and memory techniques". Only completed 35 % so far, but its looking promising. If the content looks interesting to you, just wait for (or find) a good discount code to save a ton of money. Its possible to get as much as 65-90 % off the normal price with the right promotions.

Bartez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2014
Poland, EU
Well, I always was reading faster than average- 500 words per minute. But I decided to read 1200 words per minute and after 4 years of practice, now I read about 2000 words per minute and what can I say- it's perfect. It helps to remember more information from the text and I'ts an interesting way to save your time or spend the same amount of it to gain more knowledge. There are a lot of basic tutorial videos on YT that can help you to turn into right direction to learn reading faster than they promise in the tut.

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
Well, I always was reading faster than average- 500 words per minute. But I decided to read 1200 words per minute and after 4 years of practice, now I read about 2000 words per minute and what can I say- it's perfect. It helps to remember more information from the text and I'ts an interesting way to save your time or spend the same amount of it to gain more knowledge. There are a lot of basic tutorial videos on YT that can help you to turn into right direction to learn reading faster than they promise in the tut.

Do you have any particular tutorials that you recommend? I've always read at an average speed and I hate it.

Bartez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2014
Poland, EU
Do you have any particular tutorials that you recommend? I've always read at an average speed and I hate it.

Well, I'd like to help you, but unfortunately I watched tuts in polish and I guess you don't speak polish :p But when I checked YT, I discovered that many of english tuts had to be inspiration to polish ones. Just type "Fast reading tutorial" and see the 1st page of results for this. The most important is practice.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Scan paragraphs, they usually consist of tempos and opening and closing ideas and in the middle something unique. You don't need to read the structure of the sentence the way the author writes it, just take the main elements and think for yourself then read the paragraph and see how close you were.

I always speed read cuz its superior for comprehension imo. I just go over it a few times and triangulate down to what they mean to express.

People can only approximate with their words, so its best you don't take things literally too fast anyways.

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
A lot of writers write to make their book larger. It's a sad truth.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
I started actively working on this two weeks ago using just spreeder (http://spreeder.com/). It's like the spritz plugin but it's a website, so no download required. I basically chose one article a day that was 1k words or more, and had spreeder show me the words at 325 wpm. I went from an average of 248 wpm to 280 in 7 days. And that's with just a tiny bit of practice. I'm still far below average, but it's clear that a daily grind is good enough to make the difference.

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
I can read fairly fast when reading silently but slower when reading out loud (not on top of my voice... lol). I think its better to learn 'speed reading' out loud, it helps a lot with the pronunciation of some vocabularies because when reading silently your mind seems to read/ pronounce even the longest words very well but when pronouncing it out loud you tend to fumble a bit.

If anyone agrees with the above, share some hints/ advice....!!!!

CHI-K

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2014
UK
C

copywriter1980

Do you guys think you should take notes on books you read. Lopez goes through a book everyday but never mentions taking notes. Just getting the nugget or 2 from the book. That's it.

But how do you remember all of it? I feel like I have to constantly re read everything over and over

CHI-K

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Do you guys think you should take notes on books you read. Lopez goes through a book everyday but never mentions taking notes. Just getting the nugget or 2 from the book. That's it.

But how do you remember all of it? I feel like I have to constantly re read everything over and over

Yes you will forget it in a week or so if you don't re-read some of it every now and then. I personally write notes/articles on a subject from the books I have read if it intrigues me that much.

I skim read my favorite book every week. I use books for a reference for areas in my life I have been struggling with that week e.g. gym and diet checkout my books on that subject or business checkout Mjs book etc and maybe go to the index if it has one for help. It takes 5 to 15 mins of your time to quickly read a chapter and the summary.

There are summaries online that take 10 mins of your time from websites and youtube. While your watching or reading take notes this will help to get different opinions about the book from another persons perspective.

Also lastly, Tell your friends about the book and have discussion about the ideas you have got from the book.

To Summarize it for you:

- Write notes and mini articles

- Skim read a favorite book each week

- Use books as reference in your life

- Discuss the book with friends

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders