The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to deal with competition/Copycats

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
What is the best way to deal with copycats/competition? Is it just a cost of running an internet business?

The thing that comes to mind is that I need to improve my branding/deliver more value. also try to create a bigger barrier to others entering the market.

example:

importing/selling a product on amazon.

someone undercuts you on your product. takes market share and increases saturation.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
Why not just buy them out?

rich-man.jpg

;)

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
I guess it depends on perspective.
Buying them out as a small business yourself is probably not an option.

vague things like better service, branding, promotions, ect come to mind at first.

I would be interested in hearing anyone who had real small business experience on this.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Why not just buy them out?

rich-man.jpg

;)
Ha!

Op you need a higher barrier to entry to minimize the amount of copying done of your site

Even then people will still do it

You just gotta out perform and have better branding at that point

OR give them bad advice during their start up so they will more than likely fail

EDIT: Also I wouldn't recommend par-taking in the throat cutting with prices as the lower

in my opinion always seem to be of less value (Although I am not your target audience)

Anyways people may perceive your brand as having more value so I wouldn't bother with dropping your prices

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Branding is key. With Amazon, it's all about price. I don't care who I buy from as long as it's the cheapest and it's what I want.

If you have a product that anyone with access to Alibaba can order and sell on Amazon...it's going to be a rough go. Even enhancing your branding won't do to much if you only sell on Amazon/eBay.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
If I were to be selling other peoples products, why shouldn't I just make my own site in a niche topic and market the products there? the marketing would be easier, and you'd have greater control over your "brand", rather then going to a massive website like amazon or Alibaba.

If its a product I myself am designing and making, well... that's a different story.

But for selling other peoples products I think I'll go with a niche site.

EnglandBorn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 24, 2014
Dollar Shave Club essentially buys razor blades that anyone can buy from overseas and resells them.

But, try taking their market share right now.....

Build a community aka fanatics aka branding

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.