The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The best business entity for the UK?

cmiddlebrook

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2014
UK
In chapter 22 MJ talks about business entities (S-Corp, C-Corp & LLC) that protect your assets and allow you to draw income before tax and tells of the horror of sole proprietorship.

I have been a sole proprietor for 7 years :/

Do we have equivalents in the UK? Many years ago in one of my early business I had a Limited Company which had asset protection but I actually can't remember how the salary stuff worked.

Anywhere I can go to read up on this stuff for the UK so I can make an informed choice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cmiddlebrook

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2014
UK
Is the Ltd Company still the best route for those in the UK then? Or are there other choices to consider like in the US?

Gruby Phil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Dec 12, 2011
Poland
I don't know your situation (what your company would do etc.) so I don't want to give you wrong direction. Generally cost of running LTD is higher then self-employment (and you have more responsibilities as well) but I personally will move my business to UK this year and LTD is what I will end up with. Here is short comparison between limited company and self-employment:
http://ihorizon.co.uk/self-employed-limited-company/
http://www.freelanceuk.com/running_business/self_employed_or_limited_company.shtml

cmiddlebrook

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2014
UK
Ok thanks, I shall have a read through those. Are they the only two options for the UK then?

Dread

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 4, 2014
Yes, Ltd company is your best choice. There are other options but Ltd is the standard and best choice in the UK. Its much simpler over here than it is in the US. It costs under £25 to register a new company online and you get digital documents by email and it takes generally just a few hours.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Unless your making more than 50k a year profit then its easier to go Sole Prop and cheaper, if your making more than that then go Ltd company so the tax rate will only be 20%. Then you have to take your earning out as dividends or wages whatever is best for the tax.

Dread

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 4, 2014
In reply to tafy's post, I'd always advise against going Sole Trader, you are personally liable for everything you do, which isnt a good place to be. It also makes it more difficult to keep your business and personal expenses separate.

If you setup a Ltd company, spend £10k trying to make the business work, the biz rings up an additional £10k in debts to suppliers, taxes, etc and you then decide its not working, you shut the company down and walk away. If you were a sole trader, you would still be liable for that £10k and your personal credit would be killed.

Always setup a Ltd company, it protects you, costs very little and only takes about 30min to do online, and you'll get your documents in hours. Its very simple and cheap and you'll be protected.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Yep Ltd company is great if it all blows up with lots of debt, it will cost a couple of hundred more per year for the accountant but its worth it for the personal protection.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Obviously I'm a bit biased (I'm on the offshore business), but if your business has no physical connection to the UK - no office, employees, etc - then you can easily move the company offshore and save yourself a lot of money on tax, simplify your reporting, and virtually eliminate your liability.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.