The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Minimalist lifestyle?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I get being minimalistic. What I dont get is the extreme some people take it to. It is like they are on some bullshit self righteous mission to excuse their inability to go after something more.

Exactly and there is a lot of that here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
There is a saying along the lines of "A fish's growth is restricted by the size of the tank he's in." So if you're the guy who wants to sleep on a blanket all year long, there's a chance you might become that guy, because you can't afford anything else.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Ok I understand what you are saying. Someone could be happier and I would have no idea

I wasn't picking on you really. Just that you made such a hard line statement.

Sleeping on some blankets, crashing in peoples houses with your only suitcase of possessions sounds like living hell to me and it isnt what I work for.

Minimalism needn't be sleeping on a blanket and crashing at someone's house. I could be living in a fully furnished luxury apartment or house. It's just the detachment from possessions that is the minimalist mindset.

I am not some hoarding shithead.

Not hoarding? Or not a shithead... ;)

But why choose inconvenience?

For you the inconvenience is not having the stuff you want. For me the inconvenience is having the stuff. It's just perception. To each his own.

I absolutely need a car.

Considering where you live, I would 100% agree. You don't live in a place conducive to walking or public transport. It just wouldn't work.

For me I hate driving and don't want the hassle of owning a car. So I chose to live in a place where it is not required. It was one of the deciding factors on living where I live.

Again, you chose where you live based on what you want in life. As did I. I am not trying to say one is any better than the other. Just choices and perception.

I need a place to live. Given the choice between a shit a$$ apartment and a house on the golf course with a pool I prefer a house on the golf course with a pool. This is not because I need it either, it is because I can and I want it.

For me I prefer the apartment because of the complete lack of maintenance and close proximity (walking distance) to everything I want to do. Plus I hate golf.

Given the choice between a king size bed and a yoga mat? BED

I'm with you there. Actually considering you spend about 33% of your life in bed, having a really nice bed is a very important aspect of quality of life. But I can promise you I would never take my king size bed frame and mattress out of this apartment. When I move, I will just buy another one.

Do I want a TV in my house? Sure I like to watch movies with the girlfriend.

I eliminated a TV in my house 5 years ago. Best decision ever. Now I watch the occasional netflix on the laptop, otherwise movies are for the cinema. Now I read at night instead of tv.

I get being minimalistic. What I dont get is the extreme some people take it to. It is like they are on some bullshit self righteous mission to excuse their inability to go after something more.

Interesting viewpoint. I agree that some people take minimalism, and conversely consumerism, to extremes to prove a point.

Good discussion.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What I dont get is the extreme some people take it to. It is like they are on some bullshit self righteous mission to excuse their inability to go after something more.

I think this is the truth for a lot of folks. It gives them excuse not to "go big" or to strive for something great. It gives them the crutch and excuse "Oh, I don't need the Lamborghini and the nice house-- the Toyota and the air mattress will do." With that foundation, you convince yourself not to work any harder than you need too. I see so many blogs like this and frankly, it just seems like a lot of lazy people who don't want to work and would rather survive over thrive.

However, the counter to this is that some people actually have the ability to get the Lambo and the big house, and yet choose not too. Having had both for years, I can say there is some element of peace living without stuff. I like low to no drama. Exotic cars are drama queens. So are big houses with 4 AC units, pools, tax assessments, etc. etc. Just saying that a lot of people who can afford whatever they want are looking to minimize drama -- hence, minimalist lifestyle.

For me, I'm still looking for the big house on top of the hill, but will consider a tiny house on top of the hill as well. I'm more interested in not being governed by an HOA -- hence, another minimization of drama and an enhancement of freedom, doing whatever the heck I want with my house and not have to get permission from some random 6 person board.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
This thread is a good read, some very valid points from a few people who have clearly "made it," with differing opinions.

For me, I used to be all about stuff. But now I just can't stand to have shit around I don't use. To me it just feels like a waste. I do want some nice things, such as a nice house (I'll settle for a condo on a beach), and nice sports car (because I love cars), but I don't need a lot.

My position is sort of a mix of what Bobby and MJ said. I want a nice house and car, but the real value of money to me is freedom. Freedom for life experiences. I may think twice about buying something I know I can afford, but I rarely hesitate to spend when it comes to life experiences.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I want to do it for efficiency sake. Less clothes, less time doing laundry and less time folding. I'm ok with more often.

I've already shrunk down to half my starting (op) wardrobe so far. I might go as far as limiting myself to a certain number of clothes in the future but now, with a
job, I need clothes to change often (work and civilian life). Hell I would like to get down to 8-15 outfits (shirts, pants, boxers) but that is in the future.

As for material items, all I need is a laptop. It can be a library, TV/Movie theater, game center, and document storage all in one.
Only need one car for where I live.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What I absolutely hate is when I get back from a long vacation and I have a pile of mail and a ton of shit to do. For me, being minimalist is that when I get home, I drop my luggage and turn on the tv. I hate looking at my utlity bills, my mortgages, credit card bills. I hate scheduling the pool guy, landscaper, house keeper. When I look at those things, I think that if I move to a 1br condo I could avoid all of this.

It's not that I mind paying out the money, I just hate that I have to do those things.

Same is happening to me in my business. I'm streamlining stuff, not to save money, but to save time. A side effect is that it does save money.

Having stuff is inevitable, you are out and you need xxxx and you buy it. Minimalist is not owning nothing, it's about not being attached to your things. It's very different. Kak has golf clubs, I have my mountain bike. We use them enough that renting is the wrong choice. But some people will buy things that they use one time because it's $35 rent and $100 to buy and they think "if I use this 3 times, I get the item for free." That's a saver's mentality and puts value on the item, not on the event that they are buying it for.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I like low to no drama. Exotic cars are drama queens. So are big houses with 4 AC units, pools, tax assessments, etc. etc. Just saying that a lot of people who can afford whatever they want are looking to minimize drama -- hence, minimalist lifestyle.

It's not that I mind paying out the money, I just hate that I have to do those things.

Same is happening to me in my business. I'm streamlining stuff, not to save money, but to save time. A side effect is that it does save money.

Wells said by MJ and Biophase.

My sentiments exactly. I like the way Biophase said, it - I don't want to come home with a ton of shit to do.

I prefer coming home, unpacking then settling down to relax. Not sift through mail, deal with the pool guy, the overdue bills, etc.

I get zero mail. Zero. None. Nada. What few bills I get come via email and many are autopay. My apartment has a mailbox, but I don't even remember the last time I opened the box.

I don't deal with car maintenance, insurance, repairs etc. I am leaving today for a 10 day trip to Italy. I will taxi to the airport. When I get to Rome I will rent the car. Money => car. No worries about repairs, maintenance, tires, etc.

It's not that I can't afford a car. I have just structured my life to make it unnecessary. When I need one, I rent it. It has been 9 months since I have rented a car. Clearly I don't need it very often.

Great point here too. I'm doing the same thing. Time is our most valuable resource so I am streamlining my business as well as my life to have as much available time as possible not spent on frivolous matters.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
I know this is going to sound cliche...

But my first brush with minimalism was watching fight-club with my older brother a few years back.

Over the years I've grown so tired of dealing with things, physical items, obligations, people, etc.

That I have adopted the minimalist lifestyle, but only while I am young and focusing on my entrepreneurial goals.

When I am older and richer, I'll buy an island, build a beautiful mansion on it, and get all the materiel items I want then.

Until then, I need and want only the items I can pick up and leave with, so its not much, keeps me frugal and focused.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Never did give an update on my decision.

While I'm not a minimalist, yet, I've eliminated a lot of the stuff I don't use or need.
Threw out a third of my clothes(holey,stained), donated another third(good condition/not sellable) and kept what I use frequently.

I read all of my books on kindle now. Either on my phone or on my computer. When I have more space I'll get a "study" with a nice chair I can kick back on.

I still like the thought process of just picking up and going where ever.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I like the idea of going minimal.

Recently got back from 6 weeks traveling around the US... living out of a small suitcase in hotels and one room apartments.

Only non-clothing possessions were my macbook and DSLR. Didn't even bother getting a sim for my phone and never took it anywhere.

You get home from a trip like that and suddenly a big home feels like complete overkill.

And you realise how much stuff you have that you almost never use.

DurianGray

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
May 13, 2014
I'm backpacking around Asia right now. All my stuff fits in a 50L backpack.

4 shirts / 3 shorts / jacket/ a pair of chacos / umbrella / macbook / iphone / kindle / sunglasses / notebook / toiletries/ water bottle/ strong spirit

And I'm good to go.

Working in cafes and cutting down costs while building an online empire.
My goal is to eventually buy a flat in trendy neighborhood in SF/NYC. Better than the McMansions full of junk in the middle of nowhere.

A

Angus

A minimalist lifestyle is the way to go, everything that can be taken away from you is not you, so you must not get attached to it (thanks stoic & zen philosophy)
all you need is your body and your mind. even as a homeless person you can find your way in this world

@DurianGray that's cool as hell man, i will do it too in the future, what's the point of living if you don't do adventurous shit

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I've been traveling now for 6 weeks. I've been in the US (NC), St Martin, Anguilla, back to the US (NC) and Washington DC. Still just a backpack. Nothing beats the minimalist feeling.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I've been traveling now for 6 weeks. I've been in the US (NC), St Martin, Anguilla, back to the US (NC) and Washington DC. Still just a backpack. Nothing beats the minimalist feeling.
Where were you at in NC? I know myself and a few other people live in the state.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Thanks for dressing up Saturday night in your very best casual/biz casual/semi-formal/formal attire...

BC invented the Swiss army knife of men's fasion, lol.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Thanks for dressing up Saturday night in your very best casual/biz casual/semi-formal/formal attire...

BC invented the Swiss army knife of men's fasion, lol.

I wore my usual uniform as expected.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
A tip I read years ago that I used to eliminate my pack-rat tendencies was look at something. Clothes:if you haven't worn it the last time it was in season, donate it. Items: if you can't remember using it in 6 months, donate it. Keep-sakes: if you can't remember the significance associated with it, donate it.
I do this...works great for me. My Wife...meh...not so much.

I discovered some years ago....When I buy something...anything... it creates stress in my life.

Example:
The Keurig my Wife bought ? yea...it's going back. Why ? Stress.
We have less counter space to use...these "K cups" are too damn expensive and... I bet there are millions a day going into the landfills. The water...there's ALWAYS water in the machine. You never empty it...is this healthy ? I wonder what it costs me to keep that water hot 24 hrs/day ? I don't like that blue light on at night...if we unplug it we'd have to re-set it each time. :arghh:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Example:
The Keurig my Wife bought ? yea...it's going back. Why ? Stress.
We have less counter space to use...these "K cups" are too damn expensive and... I bet there are millions a day going into the landfills. The water...there's ALWAYS water in the machine. You never empty it...is this healthy ? I wonder what it costs me to keep that water hot 24 hrs/day ? I don't like that blue light on at night...if we unplug it we'd have to re-set it each time. :arghh:
Thats a lot of stress for a fancy coffee maker :eek:

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Been working/travelling all over the world, currently working on a cruise ship.
since I have to fly to my destination I cannot take much stuff with me,and most of my stuff are my uniforms.

For myself I have 1/5th of a suitcase and a laptop bag that consists of:
-all personal clothes
-19 inch Laptop
-Fitness equipment (Resistance bands, ab-wheel, home made TRX/Gymnastic rings)
-Vitamins, lots of em, since you never know when you're gonna get shitty food or good food.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.