The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FBA and Importing Goods From China

ebms

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
May 27, 2014
British Columbia
Haha just got this from another manufacturer:
DHL Shipping Cost10 PCS is 0.25 CBM and delivery to Sweden by DHL cost 370.00 USD

370 dollars shipping to sweden for 10 lamps, haha amazing :) How the hell are one going to make any profit on that

How big and heavy are the lamps? That could be your problem.

Trevorjc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 12, 2014
Chelmsford, UK
No, I live in a small 3rd world country and everything is batshit expensive due to taxes. My plan is to import stuff buying from amazon, I have to pay an extra for the weight so heavy stuff aren't very profitable. Thanks for the reply I will research more on this subject.

Would it be possible to import from the likes of Alibaba / Allie Express to your home-country? Lots of the products on Amazon have been imported from these sources so by importing from there rather than Amazon you are cutting people out of the loop and potentially increasing your profit margin.

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
I have listed my products on amazon and have had them listed for about 2 weeks now. No sales via amazon but I have made a few sales elsewhere and people that have purchased one of my items have left me reviews on amazon. I am selling my own private label brand and it is nearly impossible to find it using the keywords I use. My problem isn't finding my products if I search my brand. When I search my brand they appear without hesitation. My problem is finding which page my product is on when I search the keywords i have listed with my item description. I have tried finding it by searching the price, by relevance, by number of reviews, color, ect and it doesn't come up. I have searched through thousands upon thousands of listings with all my selected keywords and still can't seem to find it. Am I missing something? This is really beginning to frustrate me. How do you get your product to sell on amazon?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BGLefty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Apr 29, 2014
Is your product fullfilled by Amazon? Pretty sure that helps your ranking.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
No I fulfill them at the present time. I have to wait on amazon to approve my products prior to sending them in. It could be that I am not FBA at the present moment but many products that are merchant filled that don't even have reviews or sales rank higher than me.

BGLefty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Apr 29, 2014
No I fulfill them at the present time. I have to wait on amazon to approve my products prior to sending them in. It could be that I am not FBA at the present moment but many products that are merchant filled that don't even have reviews or sales rank higher than me.

I am no expert...you're way ahead of me in fact...I'm still in the investigation/learning phase of selling on Amazon. I posted this eslewhere but I'll give it to you here...it's a "creative Google search" that will give you links to lots of available PDF docs that you may find your answer in. Even if you don't find that answer, if you're just starting with FBA I'm sure you will learn a lot...

FBA PDFs

Hope that helps you out.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Look into Amazon sponsored search, you can have your product ad show up in amazon results for keywords you specify, clicks can be pretty cheap, and I think your first $50 is free...

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
@Luke12321 Hey man. First up, 2 weeks isn't very long at all for a product on Amazon. It does take time for your page to move up through the rankings and there is a chance that it won't if you are not judged correctly by Amazon.

It is kind of hard to give you direct advice if I do not know what you are selling but here are some broad points:

Is your store brand new? Message your buyers and literally ask them for a review of your product and your store. State that if they were not happy with their purchase then you will rectify the issue.

Consider reducing the cost so you get more purchases which will increase your rank for your keywords. Then once you start to rank well put your price back up to where it was originally.

Consider using Amazon's paid ad network, but do not go overboard if you are not seeing ROI.

Try as best you can to objectively compare you page to your competitors. Look at your images, description copy etc

How competitive are your keywords for your product? For example if I created a page selling HDMI cables then I would not expect to rank for a very long time for someone searching 'HDMI cable'.

The reason for this is the competition, items such as HDMI cables are in big demand and so the margins are slim and the pages that do rank have either been there for a long time and/or are well researched and optimised effectively. That isn't to say you cannot rank, just that some wars will be more easily won on Amazon than others.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
What are your thoughts on sourcing branded products from AliExpress? I have a feeling some of the products I've been looking at are fake..

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
@Harry3000 Branded products that we all know (such as Nike and Adidas) do not use Aliexpress as wholesalers. So yes there is a ton of fake goods on Aliexpress, stay clear because you will be the one who gets in trouble for selling them.

On the other hand there are branded goods that are not counterfeit, often this will be a generic item that a particular manufacturer has branded in China. The way to tell these apart is if you have never heard of the brand!

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
@Harry3000 Branded products that we all know (such as Nike and Adidas) do not use Aliexpress as wholesalers. So yes there is a ton of fake goods on Aliexpress, stay clear because you will be the one who gets in trouble for selling them.

On the other hand there are branded goods that are not counterfeit, often this will be a generic item that a particular manufacturer has branded in China. The way to tell these apart is if you have never heard of the brand!

Thanks! I have had very limited success in sourcing products in the past. I am starting to wonder whether it is because I ignore branded products..

E.g. If I see a Samsung camera I assume that I will have no chance in competing if I am able to source a chinese brand camera with the same spec...IS this limited thinking? Can you compete with the big brand names? Or are you sticking to niche's that have not been monopolised?

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Hey everyone,

My first post here so I thought my first thread would be to answer any questions anyone has regarding to Fulfillment By Amazon (or any other questions on Amazon/eBay) or importing goods from China. I have been importing goods and selling them online for around three years so I know a decent amount but am not an expert yet ;)

Read Mj's book around a week ago and joined the forum the other day which so far seems really great.

Cheers.

If you are busy with school and have almost no storage space you can't really make alot of money with this right?

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
@Harry3000 Well... going against BIG brands will be tough, but not impossible. The main reason being is that customers know and generally trust big brands. If you do sell the same/similar product then you must have a USP. Otherwise why would someone choose your brand over an established brand? As for monopolised niches, yes it is easier to establish yourself in a field that is not dominated. Remember you do not have to sell in just one niche, you can have smaller empires that cumulatively bring in the good money. But good questions man, keep going you will get there. Just remember to test your products on your market before ordering a load of stock.

@16yearoldboy I assume you are 16? :) If so, why the hell not go for it!? Busy with school? Do you spend all your waking hours at school and studying at home? Can you cut out 1 hour of tv a day for product research and then another hour for product fulfillment? You can treat it as a hobby first, aim to make £10 a week, then £30 a week, then £10 a day then £30 a day etc. If you start this when you are 16, well, you will be light years ahead of 99% of your peers. The value isn't just in making x amount of money, but your SKILLS to be able to source products, work out margins, find customers and markets.

As for storage space, I started out of my bedroom. Just look for items to sell that do not take up a lot of room. Or you could go straight to using FBA and using Amazon's warehouses... but I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner! :tiphat:

Ajay2390

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 27, 2014
London, UK
Ok, so i found a product which is currently selling on Amazon for the double the wholesale price on Alibaba. i thought it was a winner a no brainer UNTIL i found out it was a counterfeit. But both Original and copy are made in CHINAAAAAAAAAAA!! :headbanger: lol What to do ey?

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
Look into Amazon sponsored search, you can have your product ad show up in amazon results for keywords you specify, clicks can be pretty cheap, and I think your first $50 is free...

I setup an ad campaign. Amazon states my ad is not getting impressions because I don't own the buy box. I guess the only way to own the buy box is to have amazon fulfill it. So I started the process of packing my products to send to amazon and hit another snag. My package quantity is wrong. Not a big deal when self fulfilling but when amazon does it, someone will get 3 for the price of 1. I have to create new listings for my product and it's variants. I am just concerned that the few reviews I have from selling it through other avenues will disappear. I'm waiting for amazon to respond to my email.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I have listed my products on amazon and have had them listed for about 2 weeks now. No sales via amazon but I have made a few sales elsewhere and people that have purchased one of my items have left me reviews on amazon. I am selling my own private label brand and it is nearly impossible to find it using the keywords I use. My problem isn't finding my products if I search my brand. When I search my brand they appear without hesitation. My problem is finding which page my product is on when I search the keywords i have listed with my item description. I have tried finding it by searching the price, by relevance, by number of reviews, color, ect and it doesn't come up. I have searched through thousands upon thousands of listings with all my selected keywords and still can't seem to find it. Am I missing something? This is really beginning to frustrate me. How do you get your product to sell on amazon?

Look at your competitors (the ones on the first page of the keywords you want to rank for) pay special attention to the keywords/language they use in the their title copy. Try to incorporate as much of that into your title as possible, while still in a sentence/phrase format (you can't just list keywords in the title). Fill the title block completely. Keyword match to title is a key element Amazon uses to match searchers to sellers, so it has an outsized impact on your Amazon SERP ranking.

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
Hey man. First up, 2 weeks isn't very long at all for a product on Amazon. It does take time for your page to move up through the rankings and there is a chance that it won't if you are not judged correctly by Amazon.
It is kind of hard to give you direct advice if I do not know what you are selling but here are some broad points:
Is your store brand new? Message your buyers and literally ask them for a review of your product and your store. State that if they were not happy with their purchase then you will rectify the issue.
Consider reducing the cost so you get more purchases which will increase your rank for your keywords. Then once you start to rank well put your price back up to where it was originally.
Consider using Amazon's paid ad network, but do not go overboard if you are not seeing ROI.
Try as best you can to objectively compare you page to your competitors. Look at your images, description copy etc
How competitive are your keywords for your product? For example if I created a page selling HDMI cables then I would not expect to rank for a very long time for someone searching 'HDMI cable'.
The reason for this is the competition, items such as HDMI cables are in big demand and so the margins are slim and the pages that do rank have either been there for a long time and/or are well researched and optimised effectively. That isn't to say you cannot rank, just that some wars will be more easily won on Amazon than others.

Thanks @SJVC. I understand that sales won't be overnight and 2 weeks isn't giving it much time to creep up in the sales ranking. What I can't understand is that in the categories where my product is listed, it is no where to be found. I have searched through thousands upon thousands of listings. Their is 100's of new merchants with no sales record or reviews that are listed. I can search my brand and it comes up but if I search the keywords and then look at every listing under this keyword, my product is not found. Another confusing issue is that my brand is listed under the search by brand in the same keyword categories. It's just irritating...

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I setup an ad campaign. Amazon states my ad is not getting impressions because I don't own the buy box. I guess the only way to own the buy box is to have amazon fulfill it. So I started the process of packing my products to send to amazon and hit another snag. My package quantity is wrong. Not a big deal when self fulfilling but when amazon does it, someone will get 3 for the price of 1. I have to create new listings for my product and it's variants. I am just concerned that the few reviews I have from selling it through other avenues will disappear. I'm waiting for amazon to respond to my email.

Not necessarily...if your price is significantly lower, then you can get the buy box w/o FBA...you may or may not be able to create a child listing off the current one, contact support and see if they'll let you add a child listing...

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Not necessarily...if your price is significantly lower, then you can get the buy box w/o FBA...you may or may not be able to create a child listing off the current one, contact support and see if they'll let you add a child listing...

Just reread your posts...so are you the only seller, since its a private label product? In that case, I don't see why you wouldn't have the buy box??

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014

If I am the only one selling this brand, shouldn't the buy box be in my listing? No one competes with me on this so their is no competing for the buy box.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
If I am the only one selling this brand, shouldn't the buy box be in my listing? No one competes with me on this so their is no competing for the buy box.

If you are a new seller, it takes a while to get buybox even you are the only one selling, it depends, 2 months to 6 months.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado

I was in the same situation, the only person selling the item. As @debitandcredit said, you may get the buy box eventually, but I didn't want to wait. Once I had them under FBA, I got the box immediately.

As far as the quantity, I thought that was editable? I kinda remember starting my listing as a 3-pack, and then changing to 5. It's been a while though, so maybe I'm remembering wrong...

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Once I had them under FBA, I got the box immediately.

Amazon rewards those who agree to give Amazon more of their money. Don't be suprised that when you start giving Amazon more money (via use of FBA, pro seller account, etc.) that they will start "favoring" your product in the form of higher SERP rankings.

That said, you really have to match your title and copy to what people are already searching for. Analyze your competition, steal their keywords, and consider getting a Merchant Words account.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
@SJVC So I've just spent the last few hours trying to source my first product, but what I seem to find is that most products are branded, and that the mark-up on non branded products is non-existant. I hate to constantly ask for advice, but could you shed some light on how you found your FIRST product? Or is it a case of continual searching...?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.