The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This guy literally lays Golden Eggs

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I've never heard of this guy until today, you probably haven't either.

Today billion dollar Zillow and Trulia combined for over 3 billion in stock and the man leading the charge...

Rich Barton?

One hit wonder right?

Hell no, this guy started Expedia while under the wing of Bill Gates, built it up to a billion and sold it. Started Zillow and had a huge move today. Started Glassdoor, the HR nightmare site, Venture capitalist, and on the board of such companies as Netflix.

3 Massive companies in 15ish years...and most people probably know nothing about him. The guy looks like my Religious studies teacher in high school :D

http://wwno.org/post/expedia-and-zillow-founder-rich-barton-risk-and-success
http://go.bloomberg.com/tech-deals/...er-barton-nears-tech-trifecta-with-glassdoor/

Do you think working under Bill Gates for a couple years shaped his mindset to take off and create these companies?

He's got the Midas touch.. Who says you have to fail first?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I can't help myself but... "literally"?

I'd pay to see that. ;)

Usage note
Since the early 20th century, literally has been widely used as an intensifier meaning “in effect,virtually,” a sense that contradicts the earlier meaning “actually, without exaggeration”: The senator was literally buried alive in the Iowa primaries. The parties were literally trading horses in an effort to reach a compromise. The use is often criticized; nevertheless, it appears in all but the most carefully edited writing.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/literally?s=t

----

From the article: "I think as an entrepreneur and an optimistic, forward-thinking guy, I, by nature, am one that’s optimistic, and so I don’t linger on the negatives." Very similar to our scarcity mindset thread!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
When I read this thread it reminded me of the video I posted above. Forward to 2:45

Sorry for the hijack.

Back on topic.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I don't know anything about this guy, but for the sake of philosophization, I think people build huge companies because they think they can, plain and simple. Because then you got to wonder, where did Bill Gates get his drive from?
But everyone's journey is different, and I think working right under Bill Gates helped.
A lot of people don't think being a billionaire is possible because they don't see it in their own lives.
But someone who directly knows someone like that can probably gain a deeper inspiration.

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
Haha - this is funny. I went to High School with Rich Barton and we were good friends. We still stay in touch.

I wrote a post about him to win one of MJ's books:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...millionaire-by-jaime-tardy.51432/#post-351913

He is a REALLY great guy, and very down to earth. I try to bounce my (mostly stupid) business ideas off him once in a while, and mostly he tells me why they won't really work. But I don't want to ever give him the impression that I stay in touch with him because he is rich. I have always valued his friendship and think of him as inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
When I read this thread it reminded me of the video I posted above. Forward to 2:45

Sorry for the hijack.

Back on topic.
I realize I violate tons of the things mentioned in the video :D

Haha - this is funny. I went to High School with Rich Barton and we were good friends. We still stay in touch.

I wrote a post about him to win one of MJ's books:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...millionaire-by-jaime-tardy.51432/#post-351913

He is a REALLY great guy, and very down to earth. I try to bounce my (mostly stupid) business ideas off him once in a while, and mostly he tells me why they won't really work. But I don't want to ever give him the impression that I stay in touch with him because he is rich. I have always valued his friendship and think of him as inspiration.

That's incredible to know someone like this. It's funny because he's not mega-Mark Cuban like famous even though he's built multi billion dollar companies. THat's great he listens to your ideas, I'm sure he's super busy but seems like a nice dude who would be giving of his time.

Have you learned anything specific from him? I'm sure being down to earth has helped him alot.
Usage note

From the article: "I think as an entrepreneur and an optimistic, forward-thinking guy, I, by nature, am one that’s optimistic, and so I don’t linger on the negatives." Very similar to our scarcity mindset thread!

It all comes full circle :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.