The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At what point do you pursue a different niche?

mbj316

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Oct 10, 2013
Northern VA
Question: At what point, based on conversion rates, do you decide that it's time to pursue a different niche?

My eCommerce store has been up and running for about a week now. Thus far, I have been able to draw in some traffic via SEO methods and Facebook/Google PPC ad campaigns.

I am far from exhausting all of the possible ways I can reach my target audience, but with nearly 300 unique visitors from Facebook, Google, Amazon, and Bing I have yet to make a sale. I know it takes time to build a web presence and draw in traffic, but I would think that out of 300 visitors I would have made at least one sale by now. I know I can continue to draw in more traffic, but at what point do you assess the product rather than volume of traffic?

Thank you in advanced for any input!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Commandment of Need
Commandment of Entry
Commandment of Control
Commandment of Scale
Commandment of Time

If you meet all these requirements, pursue your business and be patient.

If you don't know what these are, read TMF .

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
MJ said on a different post: "For any idea pursued, you must put forth an effort to ensure you get valid echos from the market. What is the market saying? What is the feedback? Is there potential in your idea? Did your idea reach enough of the market to make an assessment? Do I adjust or do I give up?"

Personally I'd see if they are saying everything about my idea sucks before I'd either tweak the idea or go for a different user type first. Try asking people their opinions too.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
The question is too broad - we'd need to look at the kind of traffic you're getting, the traffic sources, the ads you may or may not be running, the website itself, the product selection, comparables on Amazon, the checkout process....the list goes on.

Perhaps you should make an INSIDERS post and put a link up to your site so we can critique both the site itself and the product selection.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hard question to answer.

The first question you want to answer before ANYTHING is 'Why am I not getting any sales?'

If you're driving traffic to the page, you probably don't have a traffic problem, but an offer problem. Your traffic comes to your page wanting one thing and gets something else. Or, they come to your page hoping that what you have will solve their problem, but they leave the page without buying because they don't see how their problem could be solved.

Answer your sales question first. It's probably not your niche, it's probably your offer.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think it's your website if you haven't converted yet. I'm assuming other people sell the same product and the same prices?

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
get out from behind the computer and start asking your target audience what they think about the product and idea.

visit a tradeshow, hit the mall, hit a college, ect.

Something is broken about what you think the customer wants. Your website is not conveying the right info. It doesnt build trust with customers, something is off.

keep trying. Failure is good as long as your failing with a purpose to learn and improve.

mbj316

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Oct 10, 2013
Northern VA
Thanks for your input!

One thing that has come to my attention is that many people have claimed to have conversion issues using Shopify, which is what I'm currently using. So, I'm wondering if switching to a different eCommerce site would prove to be worthwhile.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
How do you know that people want what you are selling? Why would they buy from you vs. Amazon?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for your input!

One thing that has come to my attention is that many people have claimed to have conversion issues using Shopify, which is what I'm currently using. So, I'm wondering if switching to a different eCommerce site would prove to be worthwhile.

I doubt that Shopify is the issue. Maybe you store template looks really bad?

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia

People like to blame their problems on anything other than themselves.

There are thousands of stores using Shopify without a problem.

Look deeper.

Even if your current design/layout was causing conversion issues changing to a whole new shopping cart is overkill.

Test a new theme or edit your current one.

It's more likely you haven't found the right buying keywords for the products you're driving traffic to... or you're not giving people a good enough reason to buy from you.

samdee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 3, 2014
I think you should pursue a different niche when the current one has too much competition or it is not too profitable.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for your input!

I've used Shopify and was making $ - It's not shopify... If anything I would say they are one of the best e-commerce platforms out there because of all the apps you can install easily.

Can we see your shop link?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
with nearly 300 unique visitors from Facebook, Google, Amazon, and Bing I have yet to make a sale
There are a couple of types of advertising that generates clicks, one makes the person clicking say, "WHAT is that?" the other makes them say "I NEED that!" make sure your advertising is the latter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.