The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Old Were You?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
I didn't have my own business until age 28, and even at that time I was sort of talked into it by accident.

You guys really did get a good head start.

I was in a blue collar family with lots of alcoholism, took me a while just to get away from all that. College was really eye opening but when I got out I just wanted to make the world better so I became a social worker for $11 an hour. After a few years I became a guitar teacher for $40 an hour. Then a pro guitar player for $1200 a week. Then I started giving seminars for about $400 a day. The seminars led to buying real estate, which went up a lot, and I became a millionaire at age 37. I had no focus on wealth until age 32. That's when I read secrets of the millionaire mind, which helped a lot.

I think I mostly made my money on talent, as I became a minor internet celeb from my seminars. That's why I'm trying to re-program a lot of stuff based on the Fastlane book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
The moment I touched a computer.. I wanted to start a business.

I think the younger you start, the more eager you become.

That feeling just builds and builds inside of you over the years you work towards starting a business.

You could fail a million times, but once you're in it for so long there's no turning back.

It becomes a lifetime achievement to yourself, something you are relentless about accomplishing.

Lee Belcher

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 20, 2014
You've just brought back memory's for me. I started by buying job lots on eBay of ps1's and 2's and then sold all the items individually. This was when I was 11 and earning above min wage whilst putting only 10 hours or so a week really sealed the deal for me; that I would make my own way in life and focus on being the man not working for him.

To this day I have never worked for somebody else and I never will.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
This stuff scares the hell out of me. I too, have had these thoughts, but for me they came earlier, yet later. What I mean is , they came at around 18- 19, but these other serial entrepreneur freaks of nature had 18 companies and a private jet by the time they turned 7.

So, if this is true, I'm in luck... if "early" applies to me... but if "early" = making deals at 8 - 9... yikes.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My first attempt at entrepreneurship was trying to hold a magic show for the neighborhood kids. I think I made about $5 and the show lasted about 30 minutes, probably because the magician sucked. Oh and the magician was me, stuff I learned from a library book. Funny how I never thought about this till today and how that stuff still applies to the real world, teaching yourself from a book and then applying it.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I think it was 7th or 8th grade. I always loved the clothes that were set up on those mannikins for clothes that were on display. I always wanted to dress "like that."

I was in school and 2 girls I liked, and have known since 2nd grade, that I still have relations with criticized my clothing. They said those pants don't quite fit me well, I should be wearing Abercrombie or Ambercrombie whatever it was supposed to be etc. I remember going to the mall with my mother and I wanted to buy a sweater with a price tag of a whopping 80$. I can still remember her looking at the price tag and then telling me after doing so that I can't have it.

I replied something to my mother on that day. I told her, I can't have it because it costs a lot huh? I think I teared when I said that, because I just really wanted that sweater. I can still remember her looking at me with her eyes as she froze, and turned around to go buy it for me.

I never wanted to make her feel like that again. Heck, I don't want to feel like that for when I have children as well. Heh, it was funny I was thinking about children in 7th or 8th grade with one of those then, girls.

I went home that night with the sweater in my hand, and the next after school I returned it. I took the 80$ and brought it to school. I loaned out lunch money at numerous interest levels. Lunch was $2.50, you can bet I took 5$ the next day or 4$ or $3.00, basically whatever I thought the kid was able to pay. And any day that it was late was another 50 cents or 1$. I literally did this up until the last day of high school senior year. I was the guy to go to if you needed a loan. I can still remember this one kid, Mike. He paid me 100% interest for lunch at least 2 times a week for the entire year.

I never really ended up doing this "full time" type of thing, but if someone needed lunch, I had their back. That was my first run with the green. Loaning money to kids in 7th or 8th grade. I bought dance tickets, concert tickets etc by the load and sold them for double at the door.

That sweater I wanted...I never went back to buy it with my earnings. That sweater wasn't worth the feeling I made my mother feel when she bought it for me. But now, hopefully, and as things are going, I can buy her tons of nice things too and my father- both of whom I love.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Buying and selling phones on ebay aged 14. Knew the specs in and out. I had to get my dad to drive me to deals to pick them up. (i would buy in the newspaper/ sell on ebay). Ended up getting a contact from a phone shop who used to set us up with unwanted phones.

Being 14, i lost interest. taught my dad everything about phones at that point. he ran with it. made some good money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.