The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My neighbors... they're just... gone?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I was going to put this in real estate but decided here would be better.

So, everyone in my neighborhood keeps to themselves, they're all pretty anti-social people who will rarely even grace you with a friendly wave when you're passing by.

I know nothing about these people and have lived here for over 10 years.

The other night I saw moving trucks outside of this monster house in our neighborhood. Now, it's 700K house, but it sort of dwarfs the other, middle priced - 500Kish homes.

These people were the big fish. Nice, NICE cars out front, gorgeous home, big house, ect.

So anyway, within' 1 night... they're gone. No sale sign, no foreclosure on any website, no "Sold", notification. Now, I looked up my neighbors when they foreclosed (The sad thread I wrote back in November when I had to help them move), and theirs was updated, maybe this just hasn't been updated yet?

I'm not some gossiping person, I've never stuck my nose in anyone else's business, but this has me simply perplexed.

One night they're there with 150K worth of cars in the drive way, the next day - moving truck, and gone.

No signs, no indications, nothing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like Sidewalkers living like Fastlaners. Eventually the illusion catches up to the reality.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Agreed, Mj. It's genuinely sad to see though. Like, I don't want to see this kind of thing happen to someone.

Can't resist to ask: why do you even care? :)

Because it's strange seeing someone with the nicest... everything, simply get up and leave within' the course of a night.

As I've said, I'm not being nosey in the sense of wondering what happened to these people personally, or wanting to know more about them in a negative light, I've just never seen this happen. To me, it's new.

nausbot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 7, 2013
London, Canada
But honestly... didn't they do it to themselves?

Maybe they had to run before the banks (or worse) found them...

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
As I've said, I'm not being nosey in the sense of wondering what happened to these people personally, or wanting to know more about them in a negative light, I've just never seen this happen. To me, it's new.
I understand what you mean and I haven't for a second thought about you as a nosey person or anything like that. I never meant to offend you.

What I meant, however, is that there are so many possible explanations for this situation and I think it's safe to say that neither you, nor anyone here would be able to guess what is the answer. Hence my reflection: who cares? You won't know the answer anyway, and it's not like those people were your friends or something.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
Maybe they just moved and they don't want to sell this property. You should have just asked them when you saw the moving truck. I'm pretty sure they would have told you even if they're not social.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
That's a very intersting point!

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Maybe it was a professional robbery and the entire family is tied up in the basement waiting for a curious neighbour to find them.

Go check ;)

That happened to someone in our street (minus the tied up in the basement part) when I was a kid... moving truck came and took EVERYTHING including the blinds, carpets, air con.... literally stripped the place bare in broad daylight.

Everyone who saw it happen just assumed they were moving and hadn't told anyone.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I was going to put this in real estate but decided here would be better.
So, everyone in my neighborhood keeps to themselves, they're all pretty anti-social people who will rarely even grace you with a friendly wave when you're passing by.
I know nothing about these people and have lived here for over 10 years.
The other night I saw moving trucks outside of this monster house in our neighborhood. Now, it's 700K house, but it sort of dwarfs the other, middle priced - 500Kish homes.
These people were the big fish. Nice, NICE cars out front, gorgeous home, big house, ect.
So anyway, within' 1 night... they're gone. No sale sign, no foreclosure on any website, no "Sold", notification. Now, I looked up my neighbors when they foreclosed (The sad thread I wrote back in November when I had to help them move), and theirs was updated, maybe this just hasn't been updated yet?
I'm not some gossiping person, I've never stuck my nose in anyone else's business, but this has me simply perplexed.
One night they're there with 150K worth of cars in the drive way, the next day - moving truck, and gone.
No signs, no indications, nothing.

I'll rephrase what @mustang1 asked...

What can you learn from this experience to push YOU forward towards your goals? At face value, it may seem like a simple judgement on your neighbors.... but deep down, there is something in here that you can learn from. What is it?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I'll rephrase what @mustang1 asked...

What can you learn from this experience to push YOU forward towards your goals? At face value, it may seem like a simple judgement on your neighbors.... but deep down, there is something in here that you can learn from. What is it?

Don't live beyond your means.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Unlikely, but maybe the house was haunted and they had to get the F*ck out
Mi lived in a haunted house before, and I moved out ASAP

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
Unlikely, but maybe the house was haunted and they had to get the F*ck out
Mi lived in a haunted house before, and I moved out ASAP
Not-sure-if-serious.jpg

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
A simple search at the county court house would reveal if the house is being foreclosed. That is probably what is going on.

If they can't make payments on their house, they probably can't make payments on the fancy cars either.

They can run, but they cannot hide. Eventually, their extravagant lifestyle will catch up with them.

Debt is a dangerous instrument which has ruined the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

This could also present an opportunity for you!

If you discover that the house is being foreclosed, you could contact the bank (the contact person and number will be on the Notice of default) to try to buy the note in advance .. at a deep discount. Get an OPTION to buy the note ( meaning you don't actually buy it). Then resell the note to someone else for a fast profit.

However, be careful if there are other liens against the property - especially IRS liens.

If you don't know how to do a title search, hire someone at the court house to do it for you or get a title/escrow company to do it for you.

It is such a shame that neighbors are not friendly in the USA anymore.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
A simple search at the county court house would reveal if the house is being foreclosed. That is probably what is going on.

If they can't make payments on their house, they probably can't make payments on the fancy cars either.

They can run, but they cannot hide. Eventually, their extravagant lifestyle will catch up with them.

Debt is a dangerous instrument which has ruined the lives of hundreds of millions of people.
This could also present an opportunity for you!

If you discover that the house is being foreclosed, you could contact the bank (the contact person and number will be on the Notice of default) to try to buy the note in advance .. at a deep discount. Get an OPTION to buy the note ( meaning you don't actually buy it). Then resell the note to someone else for a fast profit.

However, be careful if there are other liens against the property - especially IRS liens.

If you don't know how to do a title search, hire someone at the court house to do it for you or get a title/escrow company to do it for you.

It is such a shame that neighbors are not friendly in the USA anymore.
How do you structure the deal so that the bank is interested? With an option, do you pay some small amount to "reserve" the note?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think you are reading too much into this. Maybe they aren't sidewalkers and bought a newer and bigger house in a better neighborhood. Not all people sell the house they are living in first and then move. They could keep it, or it could go up for sale in a few days after its been cleaned and new carpets put it.

I don't understand why you think it's a sudden move. Don't people usually move in one day? Is it only because it happened at night? You're assuming that the move occurred at night so that more neighbors wouldn't see it?

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Last edited by a moderator:

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
biophase, exactly my thought. Maybe they kept this house and bought a bigger?

Or something else.

speculations!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Last edited by a moderator:

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I think you are reading too much into this. Maybe they aren't sidewalkers and bought a newer and bigger house in a better neighborhood. Not all people sell the house they are living in first and then move. They could keep it, or it could go up for sale in a few days after its been cleaned and new carpets put it.

I don't understand why you think it's a sudden move. Don't people usually move in one day? Is it only because it happened at night? You're assuming that the move occurred at night so that more neighbors wouldn't see it?

I see what you're saying, and if they could afford a bigger house on top of the one they have. I mean... damn, they're doing something right, good for them.

I am closed minded when I think of things like that because everyone automatically jumps to "Foreclosure" and if you say "Nah, they just got another house and are keeping the other", that doesn't process with most people, and they automatically jump to - he must be doing something illegal.

And no, moved in the night = you go to sleep, and wake up and everything is gone. That's why I guess it sort of came off stranger, but yeah, I get your point.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
If they're rich like it appears they are then it would make sense that they can move whenever they want for whatever reason they want on a whim. That's what fastlane is about... Ultimate freedom. Don't be so quick to discount people :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And no, moved in the night = you go to sleep, and wake up and everything is gone. That's why I guess it sort of came off stranger, but yeah, I get your point.

This just gave me an idea. It's so hot here in summer, next time I move, it's going to be at night too, even if I hire movers.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Well , you can close this now. It was interesting to me.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
We move at night, and prefer to drive at night also. Moving at night kinda just happens though lol takes longer than we expect every time (we have moved a lot you think we would learn but NOO) they had to have a lot of help to empty that big of a place out that fast!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.