The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Bad is the Summer Heat in Phoenix?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I will be there in a few weeks for a few weeks. Come on over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
But Florida humidity is even worse than PA, Florida is a place I visit often to see family and it's crazy unbearable.

Yea and with that subtropical climate in Florida comes a ton of bugs, reptiles etc.... You may as well live in the Amazon.

Stanley Mala

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 27, 2013
Sweden
I'm a Swedish viking and it's currently 33C (91F) here in Scandinavia. It's unbearable, but that's because we're not used to it. I can't even imagine living in 100F+...

D

DeletedUser397

I moved here 8 days ago and love it. Unless you're gonna work construction or outside all day it's not a big deal. It feels nice to step out into the heat for a few minutes, actually.

The only time I ever curse the heat is when I've parked my car in the sun with no windshield cover.
That's what I need to get, a good windshield cover. I'm kind of worried about melting the inside of my car.

The question "How bad..." puts a negative connotation on the conversation immediately. Then all answers will be in defense of.... My answer is in celebration of the warmth!

Let's just say that the summers don't slow me down or keep me indoors. I am not talking for everyone.

I came here from the coast of California. I miss some aspects of the coastal living. I made the decision to stay in the desert for many reasons. The heat is the only downside in my matrix. Like I said, the heat does not slow me down from activities. I have the year around to enjoy the outdoor life as the winters are fantastic.
True, I was hoping to see if people would defend the warmth. I've just had people in my personal life tell me it's crazy to go to Phoenix in the summer, so I was wondering how the people who live there feel about that generalization.

I'm primarily on the California coast too - I think the beach/coast is a bit overrated though, not a huge fan, though it's nice, I hate the wind.

I can jump in the pool and when I get out, I'll actually get cold.

I'm used to it and the heat only bothers me come late August. That's when I'm ready for it to start getting cooler.
That sounds really refreshing, I'm hoping to enjoy the pool when I get out there. Actually, I'll be visiting in August - my rationale is, if I can tolerate August, then I should be ok moving there if I decide to.

This is another reason that I like it here. We have the biggest HABOOBS in the country!!! I gotta go back outside to watch...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...eo-haboob-a-huge-dust-storm-hits-phoenix-area
Wow, that video was interesting. Never seen that before, looks crazy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Actually, I'll be visiting in August

Yup, my very first visit to Phoenix was done in August expressly for this purpose. I remember driving in at 11pm at night and it was like 105 degrees. However to my astonishment I was like, "OMG, this is pie" -- sure it was hot, but not oppressive like a 92 degree day in Chicago with 90% humidity.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
You guys are nuts. To me, 100+ degrees is friggin hot, dry or not. Yes, it's better than with the humidity, but again, still hot as hell.

I'm in PA and the humidity sucks! Planning on moving to FL sometime, but just in the winter. Then back to PA for the god awful summers here. FL is about the only place I think that has worse humidity than PA. I couldn't handle FL summers.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm in PA and the humidity sucks! Planning on moving to FL sometime, but just in the winter. Then back to PA for the god awful summers here. FL is about the only place I think that has worse humidity than PA. I couldn't handle FL summers.

And you say we're nuts?

LOL, it's all relative.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
On my way from California to Texas, our car broke down right down one of the main drags in Phoenix...near a Laquita in a not as nice area. The temp was 115, it was the middle of June and I watched as the engine temp crept up to boiling over and smoking...not a great time but for a place to be stuck for a few days, it wasn't too bad. Maybe when retirement time comes, I'll become a snowbird like my parents. They split between Washington and Surprise and love the winter and spring there.

On a side note, if you want an efficient and interesting way to keep your water bottles pleasantly cool should you find yourself outdoors for an extended time on the desert heat, just soak a sock in water and slide it onto the water bottle. You can effectively cool down any bottle of hot water in minutes...just be sure to stake the bottle every few minutes to keep the cooling even and letting the hot water come into contact with the sock- cooled sides of your water bottle so the heat can be taken away during the evaporative process of the sock drying out.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I hope to high heaven that I never have to use your sock bottle cooling advice.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
kAbkoZs.jpg

^ from today

These seem way more common in the past few years. I don't remember them at all happening in the first 5-6 years I was here. I live on the edge of town so I can go in my backyard and watch it coming. Last night I was out watching all the lightning strikes and thinking of how awesome the weather is here.

100 degrees with no humidity is NOT hot. To those who haven't experienced dry weather, you always underestimate the temperature because it feels cooler. You could be walking outside at night thinking it's 60 degrees and you need a jacket. You get into your car and find out it's 75 degrees and feel like a wuss. Now 110 with no humidity is just freakin hot!

And yes, like MJ, when I get out of the pool I actually feel cold even though my pool water temp is 92 and it is 110 outside. The dry air evaporates the water off of you very fast.

During a low humidity day in your city, try to notice what the real temperature is and how warm/cool you think it is.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Last night I was out watching all the lightning strikes and thinking of how awesome the weather is here.

That lightning was amazing.

Some pics from last night...

10557423_501762819958277_1498099759663820444_n.jpg

10583951_10203598806964945_6181680153560490204_n.jpg

10454328_10152180331451246_3603251627067417392_n.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yea, last night was some of the most amazing lightning I've ever seen.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yea, last night was some of the most amazing lightning I've ever seen.

There seemed to be a lightning strike every 3-5 seconds and they were huge. Not those tiny one bolt lightning strikes. But the ones that made webs across the sky.

I almost went inside to grab my camera, every time I kept thinking, as soon as I get my camera it will end. 20 minutes later I'm still sitting outside watching. LOL

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I was up in Prescott over the weekend for a softball tournament and missed all the fun down here in the valley.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I was up in Prescott over the weekend for a softball tournament and missed all the fun down here in the valley.

How is the weather up there in the summer? Seems like its been in the 80's with humidity in the 40% range. Its hard to picture how that would feel, since when its 80+ here its usually much higher humidity.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
How is the weather up there in the summer? Seems like its been in the 80's with humidity in the 40% range. Its hard to picture how that would feel, since when its 80+ here its usually much higher humidity.
There is usually a 15-20 degree spread between Prescott and Phoenix. The humidity is about the same. Prescott is 5600 ft in elevation. The highs were in the 90's over the weekend. There was some rain and humidity but the weather felt fine to me.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Yesterday in Pensacola, FL - 91 degrees, 77% humidity. It will get hotter next month :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Hahaha. That is a good one!

You would see me running past these people with my shining new running shoes. I don't even carry water unless the run is more than 8 miles. I have trained in the middle of the day for certain races in the past. I once did a relay called the "Mojave Death Race". I was a 240 mile relay through the desert on the border of Ca, AZ, and NV. One of my legs of the race was 8 miles along a dry lake in Baker Ca. It was 106 when I started. Thankfully my next leg was not until after dark. Whew!...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Right now in Minneapolis :

• 75°F
  • Feels like 75°F
  • Humidity 41%
  • UV Index 7 (High)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Looks like a nice winter day to me

In minnesota, this is weather where the women go topless and the men break out the banana hammocks. Summer, baby. 75°F

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.