The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Advice: Manufactured product as first business venture?

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Hey guys, my 2 friends and I have come up with an idea for a product we want to take to market because it's got a significant demand.

The three of us are 19, so we haven't got a huge amount of capital to start with though we can get a grant from their school or our government, and/or fund the project with kick-starter to really prove there is a demand for this product. I won't mention what the product is, but there was a concept posted all over the net a while ago and there are loads of people asking where they can buy one.

Now here's the issue. I'm really fortunate to have a Dad who is a salesperson for a really big engineering firm that has its own in-house manufacturing, plus he's started and failed 3 of his own projects that involved manufacturing of a product. I spoke to him on the phone and he basically told me to stick with publishing or a service for my first swing at a start-up because of the huge amount of pitfalls that managing even a single SKU business can have.

We don't have a lot of money, and we have 0 experience with manufacturing products.
We'd be able to source some parts of the product from China and Indonesia, but because it has electronics there are a lot of complications that my Dad brought to my attention that I had no idea about.

Not to mention that there are several things that can go wrong with an offline product based business like dealing with the supply chain, rejects, cancelled orders, returns, and shipping.

He also told me that he thinks kick-starter is a great platform, but that he's seen with his very own eyes projects that have come from kick-starter to the engineering firm he works for fail really badly because of inexperience.

I have to agree with him, if we got upwards of 5,000 orders, hell, even less, I have no idea how we'd execute delivering the product to our backers, because it's not just a simple injection moulded paint roller cover, or a simple counter-weight camera stabilizer, our product has electronics in it, plus it needs batteries, sensors, a display and other stuff.

Any advice would be great, and it'd be even better if someone with a business that sells their own manufactured product provided some input. Thanks for reading this, and thanks for any feedback in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Joshy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2014
I think you'll need to find a manufacturer that can meet your demands of (hopefully) a large order quantity in a small period of time.

Ring/email potential manufacturers and ask them firstly if they can actually make what your after, and second, ask about their production rate/hour.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Well you've listed about a hundred negatives and only one positive being "demand".

No money. No experience. No product knowledge. Three young guys in partnership.

I think you know which way to go.

PSDSH

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 4, 2013
North Texas
I'm in the process of manufacturing my 2nd product; from idea to packaged product all by myself. You can do it! I'm more than happy to share what I've learned.

generalcalm

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 14, 2014
Australia
I think you should go for it. Stop thinking about the size of the problem, and break it down into parts- write it out. Check the list with a positive mentor in a similar industry and get going working through it. What have you got to lose?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.