The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18 y/o starting a local cleaning company.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Mystery font, and Roboto text with drop shadow. Transparent backgrounds, 1280 x 500 PNG
It can serve as a placeholder until you get something you're 100% satisfied with.

Attachments

• Beach Detailing Font Basic.png
    Beach Detailing Font Basic.png
    73 KB · Views: 9
  • Beach Detailng Roboto Basic.png
    Beach Detailng Roboto Basic.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 9

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Change your CSS class "title-bar" background image.

It should look like this:

.title-bar

And not to sound like a dick, but that logo is far too small. Plus a logo should never have an image background.

Keep it simple, keep it vector.
Thanks for the help.

The logo is too small and I guess I will make it simpler

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Mystery font, and Roboto text with drop shadow. Transparent backgrounds, 1280 x 500 PNG
It can serve as a placeholder until you get something you're 100% satisfied with.
Thanks again . I'll put one of these and purchase a logo. Thanks for all your help

dotyy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jul 14, 2012
Logo is still pretty small on the website. I would recommend a picture with the dimensions of 250x110 or something close that matches your aspect ratio. When it's small like it currently is, the drop shadow becomes messy.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Here is the perfect size logo i want but i dont have photoshop and cant make the background transparent. I want the white lettering to remain the same but not the background.

Attachments

• efe.png
    efe.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 19

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Here is the perfect size logo i want but i dont have photoshop and cant make the background transparent. I want the white lettering to remain the same but not the background.

Hey Man, the old logo was actually better. This one on a white background just looks so difficult to read.

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I'll make the background transparent for you and give you two different versions. One with the white font, and another with an idea I have to help it pop out against the white background of your site.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I'll make the background transparent for you and give you two different versions. One with the white font, and another with an idea I have to help it pop out against the white background of your site.
Ok thanks

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
l8khr5k6h
front business card.pngI just ordered a flyer design on fiverr and will order my flyers once the design comes in. Attached are my designs for my business card i personally made. Not sure if its good though.

I have also decided that instead of rubberbanding the flyers to the door i will cold call door to door (not sure the technical name for this) and sell to them directly. I will start in my neighborhood explaining that im a neighbor so they will have to listen. Then i will branch out. Any tips for this?

back_business_card.png

Last edited:

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Glad to see you're still at this! Can't wait to hear about the results.

Attached a screenshot of how the "Book now" page looks on mine. Seems like It's cut off from the left side.

Also, is there any reason to put the price at the bottom of the page rather than at the top? Like does that actually drive up sales? I personally hate when websites don't show me the price until the last second. I don't even bother usually.

I don't really know the market, but if I personally was looking for something like this I'd probably want to see a very short description of the service and the testimonials above the fold (you don't have to scroll to see it), rather than the banner and that huge graphic. I'd also really really wanna see something more humanizing, like a photo of some of your workers cleaning a really nice car, or you standing next to someone whose car has been cleaned, and you're smiling. Something that makes the website look less fake.

You could get that kinda social proof from slowlaning the first few cleaning jobs. Hustle to get some work the dumb way, and then get photos and a testimonial and boom. Website looks 500% better. You can sit back and collect cash.

Again, glad to see you're working at it though! These are just my suggestions.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    702.6 KB · Views: 28

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
UPDATE:

Just got a person willing to do the details for me. I work at a gas station and he came in asking my co-worker if he still need his car detailed. As soon as i heard this i walked outside with him and showed him my car asking if he details and how much it would cost. Got an estimate of how much he will work for. He has no online presence. He doesnt run an official thing he uses word of mouth only and does cleanings.

I will have him sign a non compete. I will also have him detail my car (will pay of course) to see if he is actually good. I just cut a lot of work out with this!

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Flyer from fiverr just came in! The only problem is that on the coupon he put 20% off instead of 25%. I have requested a modification but he hasnt responded in 2 days. Can anyone help me fix it?
4nz72cwdx

Here is the link for the flyer since it is too large to upload : http://s10.postimg.org/3lp0jtdkp/image.jpg

EDIT: Now that i look at it there are a lot more modifications needed to be done. I have sent them to the guy on fiverr hopefully he responds soon. In the gig he said unlimited modifications but he was a little late on delivering me the work so i am not sure when he will see my request.

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Hey bro, just wondering how revenues are? I would love to start something like this in Toronto (I don't see one that is mobile...). Let me know how things are going for you.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Let me know how things are going for you.

I want to hear some results :) ...forget the logo, don't go for perfection, go for income. If it looks alright, then good. I say this because I know someone who runs a cleaning business. The site isn't great whatsoever. It was complete, but not eye catching. And he still makes a lot of money. Go to bank, office buildings etc, and get yourself some commercial janitorial contracts.

One or 2 of these should result in a 2-3k$ income. I think that what you need right now. Get sales yourself. Reinvest proceeds towards further growth.
Keep us updated.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Well I have run out of money . I had to stop all ppc (averaging 7 clicks a day). The designer finally updated my flyer design so I will get those printed soon.

The only problem is I'm using the last of my money on these flyers. I am also moving 4 hour away from my home city (also target market) for college so I won't be able to do much local advertising.

I actually had someone call but I think he was just price shopping and probobly didn't even visit my web page. He was low balling so it's ok.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How many sales so far? Quit spending time on minutia if you are out of money and do not have work lined up. Sell!

Justin.p

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 10, 2014
Austin, TX
Last edited:

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
No longer a residential/commercial cleaning service...

What brought this change? Heres a quick rundown of what I see on your site...

Customer may not know what a detailing service is....(So you are going to put "designs" on cars?)
Then you go ahead and say you will "clean the car as if it were your own." ...should be "our" own...if I'm not mistaken.

Aside from that....

You have a pricing of 100$ or more..175$ to clean a car? I'll just go to the car wash, tip them 20$ more and they'll clean the car efficiently...plus, I feel if your car needs 175$ worth of cleaning...you really can't afford a clean that costly, because you're employed with some hard-labor/dirtying your clothes type of job, to get it that dirty....

Cleaning cars... can you see a way to scale it? If so cool.
I don't want to crush your dreams...but you went from a residential/commercial cleaning service (companies I know make A LOT of money) to something that doesn't really exist, cleaning the car for 175$....

Hey, if you are getting clients grats, tell me where you're located, must be plenty of dirty-rich-people nearby for me to offer residential/commercial cleaning services to :p

I hope you don't see this post as offensive. I feel if you put 8 hours actively searching for commercial cleaning contracts you'd have yourself a few grand in profits monthly, but you didn't do that.

A cleaning service is on my to-do list. But cleaning cars, doesn't really offer that- residual sales type of business I enjoy.

Wish you luck! Please re-analyze your business.

-------------
If a "car detailing" company... where you put designs on cars...whats the demand for such, does it meet the commandments to wealth?

Good luck again. I'm disappointed. I wanted to see a cleaning service run from 0$ to 1,000,000$.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
No longer a residential/commercial cleaning service...

What brought this change? Heres a quick rundown of what I see on your site...

Customer may not know what a detailing service is....(So you are going to put "designs" on cars?)
Then you go ahead and say you will "clean the car as if it were your own." ...should be "our" own...if I'm not mistaken.

Aside from that....

You have a pricing of 100$ or more..175$ to clean a car? I'll just go to the car wash, tip them 20$ more and they'll clean the car efficiently...plus, I feel if your car needs 175$ worth of cleaning...you really can't afford a clean that costly, because you're employed with some hard-labor/dirtying your clothes type of job, to get it that dirty....

Cleaning cars... can you see a way to scale it? If so cool.
I don't want to crush your dreams...but you went from a residential/commercial cleaning service (companies I know make A LOT of money) to something that doesn't really exist, cleaning the car for 175$....

Hey, if you are getting clients grats, tell me where you're located, must be plenty of dirty-rich-people nearby for me to offer residential/commercial cleaning services to :p

I hope you don't see this post as offensive. I feel if you put 8 hours actively searching for commercial cleaning contracts you'd have yourself a few grand in profits monthly, but you didn't do that.

A cleaning service is on my to-do list. But cleaning cars, doesn't really offer that- residual sales type of business I enjoy.

Wish you luck! Please re-analyze your business.

-------------
If a "car detailing" company... where you put designs on cars...whats the demand for such, does it meet the commandments to wealth?

Good luck again. I'm disappointed. I wanted to see a cleaning service run from 0$ to 1,000,000$.
Excellent post. I was thinking along the same line.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Honestly you guys are right. Switching my website from a residential cleaning service to a detailing service has been a bad move. You can't charge much of a premium detailing and it doesn't provide the recurring revenue that a cleaning business would.

Honestly I switched because I was getting low clicks on my Adwords campaign and someone in a similar niche was getting all there bookings from Adwords. I got discouraged and wanted to tackle a new niche.

I wasted so much time converting the website over to car detailing. All I have to do is restore it back but I have still lost that time.

I need to do offline marketing for the residential cleaning business.i will now go door to door with flyers and talking with each home owner and try to sell them my cleaning service.

The only problem is that in 10 days I leave for college 4 hours away. My current town has 900,000 residents while my college town has >100,000 so I don't want to switch cities. Quite a dilemma

iAmAttila

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Aug 6, 2014
I was doing media buys for merry maids usa. We ran pay per call campaigns for them and they saw an explosion in qualified leads resulting in 200% biz growth. You might want to try the same.

What you do is scrape yellowpages of local cleaning companies. Setup mobile campaigns using call extensions and ringpools so you can track what kw sent you the lead.. in a nutshell.

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
You haven't lost time - It's all a learning experience and if you learnt something, time was not wasted.
As for your location, can your business be made location-independent?

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
The only problem is that in 10 days I leave for college 4 hours away. My current town has 900,000 residents while my college town has >100,000 so I don't want to switch cities. Quite a dilemma

Target the students? The popular thing to do at my local university is to not clean anything then hire a maid once or twice a month. Start rumors how awesome it is to do that. Leave fliers and coupons at every dorm on campus.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Honestly you guys are right. Switching my website from a residential cleaning service to a detailing service has been a bad move. You can't charge much of a premium detailing and it doesn't provide the recurring revenue that a cleaning business would.

Honestly I switched because I was getting low clicks on my Adwords campaign and someone in a similar niche was getting all there bookings from Adwords. I got discouraged and wanted to tackle a new niche.

I wasted so much time converting the website over to car detailing. All I have to do is restore it back but I have still lost that time.

I need to do offline marketing for the residential cleaning business.i will now go door to door with flyers and talking with each home owner and try to sell them my cleaning service.

Hate to say this but .. I told you so.. Offline marketing and should have run another website for the detailing instead of spending all your time focusing on a change over.
Also focus on making money not adwords or anything else a business isnt a business unless dollars are coming in
Also the guy above me had a great idea, run a cleaning company within the campus and also speak to a dry cleaners try work out a set fee for you then add profit on for the customer may get a few extra dollars a week from this.

Last edited:

Justin.p

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 10, 2014
Austin, TX

This is so far off the mark it doesn't even make any sense, it's like you want to call an antique car restoration job a "jury rigging job" because you don't understand the term "restoration". Thorough car detailing can easily run into the thousands of dollars at, for example, Esoteric, and do you seriously think the guys sending lamborghinis in for detailing are doing so because they are "so filthy dirty"? Not the case at all. Esoteric charges $350 minimum to prepare a new from the factory car for delivery. That's to say a brand new car is typically not up to the standard of show quality that detailing is all about.

BTW tipping 99.9% of car washes $20 extra just means they'll do that much more damage to your paint by introducing swirls with non-microfiber towel or even using microfibers that have any sort of contamination or insufficient lubrication. It takes highly skilled labor to clean a car without causing damage.

The problem I see here is if you really are in a college town - you probably don't have the market - because you can just immediately write off all college kids and professors (low paying job) as potential customers.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.