The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Value of an industrial designer

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

Deleted21704

I'm prototyping a product. Industrial, heavy metal, hydraulic...>90lbs. Manly stuff.

85% of it is already done. As in, most of it this new product is an off-the-shelf product I'm customizing. I bought this 85% piece yesterday evening.

The remaining 15% is essentially a piece of bent metal. Think about the letter Z with right angles instead of funky angles. That's it. That's all I need.

I called a couple of metal fabricators...they seemed to be more into connecting and repairing existing stuff (instead of fabricating new stuff...:confused:). The designers I spoke to either weren't interested, or if pushed, would probably charge me a FORTUNE.

My question: for anyone who's worked with an industrial designer, what value do they provide beyond abstracting the manufacturing process? I'm sure if push comes to shove, I could find someone to make me that piece of metal. But if I'm eventually going to be refining, packaging, and shipping this thing, might an industrial designer be worth a premium?

Or, since this is a prototype, is roughing it now and figuring all the other stuff out later on a better idea?

To add some context, this one piece will allow me to test the concept...i.e., take pictures, get opinions, figure out if it's worth launching. If it fails, I'll just use it myself! So no waste. Unless I pay a huge premium for it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'm prototyping a product. Industrial, heavy metal, hydraulic...>90lbs. Manly stuff.

85% of it is already done. As in, most of it this new product is an off-the-shelf product I'm customizing. I bought this 85% piece yesterday evening.

The remaining 15% is essentially a piece of bent metal. Think about the letter Z with right angles instead of funky angles. That's it. That's all I need.

I called a couple of metal fabricators...they seemed to be more into connecting and repairing existing stuff (instead of fabricating new stuff...:confused:). The designers I spoke to either weren't interested, or if pushed, would probably charge me a FORTUNE.

My question: for anyone who's worked with an industrial designer, what value do they provide beyond abstracting the manufacturing process? I'm sure if push comes to shove, I could find someone to make me that piece of metal. But if I'm eventually going to be refining, packaging, and shipping this thing, might an industrial designer be worth a premium?

Or, since this is a prototype, is roughing it now and figuring all the other stuff out later on a better idea?

To add some context, this one piece will allow me to test the concept...i.e., take pictures, get opinions, figure out if it's worth launching. If it fails, I'll just use it myself! So no waste. Unless I pay a huge premium for it.
In another life I was a welder in a fab shop. You can't find a small shop to bend or weld up a piece? Where are you?

D

Deleted21704

In another life I was a welder in a fab shop. You can't find a small shop to bend or weld up a piece? Where are you?

I guess I was using the wrong search terms. I have no experience in this arena. I kept searching 'metal fabrication' and just called the top few that looked good. Guess 'welding' is more like it. D'OH. Seeing many more results now...chalk one up for sheer ignorance. Thanks so much! I'm just outside of DC BTW.

Guess I'll worry about industrial designers if/when I get to that point.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I guess I was using the wrong search terms. I have no experience in this arena. I kept searching 'metal fabrication' and just called the top few that looked good. Guess 'welding' is more like it. D'OH. Seeing many more results now...chalk one up for sheer ignorance. Thanks so much! I'm just outside of DC BTW.

Guess I'll worry about industrial designers if/when I get to that point.
Post pics, there may be more ideas.
You never know who has done what here.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Is there a TechShop where you live? You could do the prototyping or even production there yourself.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Hit up a local engineer or consulting company. They can design / create drawings if needed and connect you to a fab shot to get the parts made.

If you just need a one off piece bent, go to a local metal fab shop with cash in hand.

D

Deleted21704

Thanks for all the help!

Is there a TechShop where you live? You could do the prototyping or even production there yourself.

I had no idea these places existed...closest one to me is Arlington VA and looks like they just opened! Even if I don't use their facility for this, it seems like an excellent resource to be aware of.

Hit up a local engineer or consulting company. They can design / create drawings if needed and connect you to a fab shot to get the parts made.

If you just need a one off piece bent, go to a local metal fab shop with cash in hand.

Yeah that's what I'll probably do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.