The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's Possible

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
magically the next day I see my sales have tripled.

Holy crappers! Very exciting! Never would happen at a job! (BOSS: "You've done great work... we'd like to triple your salary." LOL)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Your language patterns affect your mindset

I was training to be an athletics coach, and our instructor told a story of a school boy who was pretty good at the triple jump.

The lad was shy though, and it took the school PT instructor a lot of coaxing to get him to go and try out at the local athletics club. He turned up, and the athletics coach said "show us what you've got".

The lad warms up, stretches, speeds down the runway, and then does his hop, step, and jump into the pit.

The coach tells him "your step was too short".

The lad goes home depressed and never takes it any further.

Our instructor tells us that the coach could have said the same thing in a different way. He could have said:

"You've got great speed, a great hop, and a great jump. If we made your step as good as the other three you'd be another metre into the pit."

It's effectively the same thing, but gets a completely different result.

One of my friends sold drugs for a living

... to hospitals! :)

He was in a sales course where they were learning to overcome people's objections.

You could listen politely to someone's objection, nod and agree that they have a valid point, and then say:
"Yes, but it's not that expensive when you consider the blah blah blah."

The problem with the word BUT is that it's like a BUTtress between you and the person you are talking to.

You're really saying that you're going to ignore what they just said and continue battering them.

Instead, my friend was taught that he should say:
"Yes, AND it's not that expensive when you consider the blah blah blah."

A small change in words, but a big difference.

Anyhow, I always remember this one because my friend told me that they all have to do an exercise where one person would stand up and say some outlandish statement, sit down, and the next person had to start their rebuttal with "Yes, and..."

"Margaret Thatcher was the best thing to happen to the UK."

"Yes, and ... bollocks."

(Apologies for swearing, and for bringing up politics... I just had to laugh at that one.)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How To Create Internalized Superhuman Productivity

On July 9th, I was packing my car for a 14 hour move to Colorado. As soon as I finished emptying out my apartment in Scottsdale, AZ, Apple calls me saying I have to do 100+ updates to my entire app portfolio, or else they would take them down...they gave me 14 days (100% my source of income - Somehow the Commandment of control becomes more real in scenarios like this.. @MJ DeMarco ).

I got settled in at my new apartment in Boulder, CO with a little over a week to spare...The day of the deadline, I finished all the updates, and magically the next day I see my sales have tripled. Lesson from the universe- Hit the ground running, and don't screw around and get comfortable.

I see bursts of productivity like this when external events like this happen.
I'd be interested to hear anybody who has internalized this level of productivity regardless of external forces.

For some reason I feel the need to tag @SteveO in this question - sounds like a topic very similar to previous postings of yours...

I work like that too. I didn't realise till recently, and used to beat myself up about always leaving things until the last minute. In the last 12 months I've been trying a lot harder to harness rather than fight my natural tendencies. I've still not sussed this one yet. I did see a great (TED?) video with Seth Godin in it. He said that he has a rule that "when we hit our deadline, or when run out of money, we ship". Maybe going public on a deadline is what can harness this tendency?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
The problem with the word BUT is that it's like a BUTtress between you and the person you are talking to.
You're really saying that you're going to ignore what they just said and continue battering them.
Instead, my friend was taught that he should say:
"Yes, AND it's not that expensive when you consider the blah blah blah."
A small change in words, but a big difference.
Very great tool to use, AND to build off of that... Using the word 'BUT' is a good tool when you want to negate the first part of the sentence. "I know you havent made any sales online yet, BUT..."

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
"The only thing that is holding us back is our own minds." I heard Warren Buffett say that the other day, and how anybody in the room he was speaking to could do what he does.

^If you don't fully believe this. Or if you had a sliver of doubt in your mind for a second when you said it... learn to believe this and you will be successful. Everybody has a different mindset. Find a group of people you want to be like (billionaires for example), and study their language patterns and their thoughts... Believe like them and you will be at the same level as them.

Update August 12 - Profitable business #1 (aka the 5th business I started) is still growing/on autopilot regardless if I work on it or not...a pretty cool feeling not having to worry about money for once. While building out business #6 - I ran into a pain point that was slowing me down, and I would have gladly paid $100 for it to be solved. I talked to 5 friends from this website about my pain point, and they all had the SAME ONE. Within 1 week, I built a solution to solve that problem. Maybe I'll make another separate thread about that.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Lost 21 pounds since I quit my job in June....

I was always so tired after working a long day for someone else, that I never pushed myself to make the time to work out. It sucked so I stopped eating healthy to make myself feel better (cuz sugar and fast food make you feel good if you're addicted to it).

I now always have energy, even after working on my own stuff for a long time, because i love it... I'm building value for people and building for my future. Eating healthier, going to the gym...and not being drained of all this energy from a day job that I was bored at.

For those of you considering quitting your job and going out on your own... take notice of how much more energy you have throughout the day, and make the best of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.