The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP! my gf wants me to leave my 4yrold biz..need advice

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
Hi all,

I need some serious advice...and the reason I am asking here is because I think you all are in my position. We are entrepreneurs... risk takers...we have sacrificed a lot or everything to be either: filthy rich, become financially independent or just hate working for "the man" and like the freedom of being in charge.

I have a lot on my mind right now...and I'm going to tell the full story. It's going to be a lot and I'm spilling out my heart here but if any of you take the time to read this I would appreciate any help or insight on this. It would be great to hear from any female entrepreneurs...

So here is my dilemma. My gf and I met in 2007, and we have been dating for now 9 years now. We met when I first graduated school and she was still in school. She saw how I struggled in my first year on not finding a job. Then I finally landed my first company job and worked there for a measly $25k/yr salary for 2 years. She heard how my ex boss was a screamer and an a**hole and she was with me when I made the decision to quit and go out on my own. She saw how my first 2 companies failed and how I lost thousands of dollars as a result of it. But she doesn't know exactly how much money I lost.

Then on my 3rd try, 4 years I started this agency, marketing agency. The first here with absolutely no competitors (I'm not in the US but in a foreign country) and we are also very niche. The first year was rough, I was working mornings and evenings doing part-time and working on my biz with my partner during the day and weekends. She supported me during this time, helped with rent sometimes, paid for dinner, groceries and what not. During this time we were living together...

Her parents hated me, they thought I was not talented enough for their daughter. I think some of it was racism as well (we are not of the same race). They sent emails telling me to break up and tried to bribe and coerce her into leaving me and going back to her home country. She is also a expat here. So yes, I have never met her parents during the 9 year relationship. I always felt like she never stood up for me..in her culture, respecting the parents wishes is the norm, i guess that's why. It hurt a little to be honest. For those who are unfamiliar with asian culture it's very hard to understand. Your parents have a lot of say in what you say or do for everything! (education, marriage, where you live, where u work, etc).

So from the 2nd year of the business, we started growing. We were getting a lot of government contracts and we grew to about 10 or so employees. Salary was a bitch, hitting at $30k a month. Then last year, we hit a down year and it was really rough. No projects or government contracts and a lot of our clients went out of business.

We haven't saved anything and my partner (native to this country) had to take loans, took mortgage on his house. I had to sign a loan with him too, we took out $200k (where I have to pay $100k, but I always felt like I could move back to the US and not pay back he loan if we went out of business) then he took out an additional $150k to keep the business floating.

Btw he is 40 years old, 2 children. I am 32, no kids and not married. $50k in debt for student loans back at home, and now $100k in debt here in this country. He has a lot to lose and I told him last year that we had to shut down. I told him it was better to be 100k in debt than $250k in debt. But for him, it was all or nothing and he wouldn't even consider it.

We realised last year that we were depending too much on government contracts and money to run our company. Our current or perceived future client base, at least in my opinion, still does not bring enough to be able to run our agency. Anyways during that time it was rough. We cut our salaries by 80%, had to fire employees and what not.

I still think we need to cut and downsize but in this country, appearance is everything and if we moved to a smaller office, and downsized my partner feels that we would go out of business immediately. In this country, appearance is EVERYTHING. Anyways we have downsized, instead of 8 full time employees now we have 5 and 3 interns. 10 including my partner and I. Our office bill is at $3500 month, but he doesn't want to move because if we move he says that everyone will think we are going out of business and will not want to bring work to us. But we aren't getting any work though, aside from the gov't contracts.

Anyways back to the GF. So last year in May, my gf decided to go back to her home country. Back to where her parents were living and we made arrangements to talk to each on the phone other every Sun/Mon/Wed & Friday. In the beginning it was ok, we flew to each other's countries (her and this country is very close so only about a $300 roundtrip plane ticket away) every 2 months, went on cheap vacations, etc.

She is a great penny pincher, wow can she cut corners really well lol. She knew my salary was cut then so she paid for the security deposit on my apartment which was $30k (in this country, security deposit is min. $10k but the higher the security deposit the lower the rent). So even my apartment isn't even in my name..even though I'm paying rent, which is at $1k a month.

But last year she was 29, now this year she is 30. Last year she pushed me on getting married and i said I wasn't ready. Actually it was 2-3 years ago when she started pushing me and last year I gave in and I said, ok I will propose next year, which is this year. Now this year has come around and she is telling me that it's time to fulfil my promise to get married...

Leave my partner and go join a big, "safe" company. She wants to live a "safe" life with me and not have to worry about money. Well, what I mean is, she wants me to work somewhere where I have a "stable" salary.

Ok, so we both live in asian countries. Those who are familiar with asian cultures know that getting married having children is very very important. Now that she is 30, she wants to have children and start a family. Family is the most important thing, not your business, not your parents, not your career. Family is.

These days on the phone, it's just fighting and nagging and she just complains about:

* why she hates my company
* why I'm not paying back my student loans
* telling me to go find a cheaper place to live
* asking repeatedly on why I'm not looking for another job

These days we don't even talk anymore because I don't want to talk about it or fight. Yesterday I asked her, 'so you want me to betray my partner?' and she replied,' well you are betraying me.' Gah... She even knows my partner, met many times and sincerely likes him as a person.

With my experience, 4 years in what I have been doing, I am quite confident that I can move to any company. In the 4 years of this business, I have turned down a headhunter offering me $100k/year (in this country, only about 10% even make 100k a year) and we even turned down an acquisition of about $1million (which we are REGRETTING to this day) of the agency. Shit its rough, I wish we took that offer but its too late now.

So 2 months ago we received a gov't contract, which will help us pull through until the end of this year. But after that, I honestly don't see us surviving. We haven't gotten any projects and I really don't know how this company will stay afloat.

I'm pretty sure we will go out of business. My partner doesn't think so, he is so optimistic and these days I have been becoming very pessimistic. You have to remember last year I told him that we should shut down but he refuses now. During that time, I gave him 5% of the company, so now he is the majority shareholder. That's the least I could of done since he was taking all the risk i.e. loans to keep this company afloat.

My friend told me that if I quit now because of her that this will be it. This won't be the first time that I will give up something I want. They tell me to make sure it's something I want to do and not something she wants. Half of me wants to keep going, but I know she will not support me or respect this decision.

She is so nasty and negative these days. During these 4 years I have always asked for encouragement and support. She said that the way she supports me is with the money (which I have paid back aside from the apartment that is in her name) but there is no other support or encouragement from her. She's not an optimistic person, never has been and quite pessimistic actually. The way she counters with her negativity is that she wants to be "safe". The other half says, 'well it was a good run, maybe in another lifetime'

But my reasons for starting this business are this:

1. I like the freedom. Yes coming in at noon sometimes after a late night of drinking is awesome, but i also work late too.
2. Pay is not bad during our uptime's, and using the corporate card whenever i want is awesome
3. The status for being a CEO in this country is very respectable, I like feeling respected
4. I like being independent and not having to work or report to someone
5. In the beginning I wanted to make a lot of money...who doesn't, I now realize that running an agency that I will *never* become rich. It's just impossible for an agency. Even being acquired, companies don't acquire agencies for much cash so i wouldn't even make that much money or not any at all. It'll most likely all go to loans..
6. When marketing, I love being able to make the decisions on what kind of direction, what services/companies, etc I want to use or pitch to our clients.
7. I love how I can bring my dog to work everyday

Even though this is an marketing agency, I know I am not a client facing person. I just hate dealing with pesky clients who complain a lot. My work is all in the operations side, my partner does all the sales and client relations.

Sales have been about 1m a year for 3 years, last year we were -$150k. As an agency, 1m in sales isn't much because if we make 10-15% of that, its only 100-150k/year, then take into employee salary/rent/business trips/etc and we don't make any money. And from that 1m, I say...80% is gov't contracts.

We are also an award winning agency, we have won a few awards from the work we have done. We have a great image in this industry but none of that has come in large contracts from companies. Now that it's 4 years, there are competitors. I would say maybe 3-4 competitors now so not everything comes to us.

Ok wow...i wrote a lot. I spilled my guts and for those of you who read this far, thank you for reading this. If anybody has any insight, please share it. Would really love to hear from women in this. If I asked on any other forum, I don't think they would understand since they are not entrepreneurs and that is why I came here.

Thank you and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

struggling CEO

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's a long read and I'm not going to go too in depth because it's 1am now but here are my initial thoughts.

GF wants to get married and have kids. Having kids costs money and you have to move and live together. This is your first big decision. After this decision the work decision becomes easy.

Why stay with a company that you feel won't make it? You like all the perks, but F*ck the perks, you need money. You don't run a company because you can be called a CEO and bring your dog to work. This makes me wonder why you guys are failing.

Sadly, in the asian culture all that matters is really money. They pick doctor and lawyer because they make the most money, not because a doctor saves lives or a lawyer helps people.

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
Why stay with a company that you feel won't make it? You like all the perks, but F*ck the perks, you need money. You don't run a company because you can be called a CEO and bring your dog to work. This makes me wonder why you guys are failing.

yea your right...the perks are just perks but I need money. In 4 years, I haven't really saved anything. Well mainly because I was spending a lot but now I know its time to save, i guess i wouldn't be in this position if I actually saved it and didn't spend it on stupid things.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Sorry that I cant help you with this as youre farther along the journey than I am.

Good luck with the decision.

(Sorry you have to put up with the old school asian "if you arent bragworthy to us, you suck" culture. I hate it with a burning passion)

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
I would probably choose the safe job option - Not because I'm female, but because you need the money and your business can't provide that.
You can always start something on the side, later when everything has settled down a bit.

Could you find a replacement for yourself for the agency so that your partner could go on without you?

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
I would probably choose the safe job option - Not because I'm female, but because you need the money and your business can't provide that.
You can always start something on the side, later when everything has settled down a bit.

Could you find a replacement for yourself for the agency so that your partner could go on without you?

yea its crazy that I don't have any money but again, its my fault really. I could of easily saved 1/2 of my salary and at least had enough to pay off my student loans but I didn't. Reality didn't hit me until last year we didn't get the regular gov't contract and we had to lay off employees.

well I am pretty hands on as I do all the operations, but if someone came in I could teach them for a while and get them pretty aquatinted. Tell them all my PR Contacts, introduce them to all of my subcontractors and what not and pretty much guide them on what they need to do...

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I don't know about you but I've seen to many people get screwed by working for big companies.
Fired with no warning signs
Salary cut in half for the boss' daughters wedding to her boyfriend who works there
Wife stays at home, gets bored, finds "love" elsewhere

These things are all the reasons I wouldn't want to be working for someone else. I have more but this is kind of irrelevant to the situation.

Maybe it's time to pivot in your business. Look for different revenue not in that niche.

I wouldn't hire anyone right now. I'd be looking for work(basic contracts) till I couldn't handle it alone.
Even then I'd be looking for ways to optimize the system so the work load can be less.

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
I don't know about you but I've seen to many people get screwed by working for big companies.
Fired with no warning signs
Salary cut in half for the boss' daughters wedding to her boyfriend who works there
Wife stays at home, gets bored, finds "love" elsewhere

These things are all the reasons I wouldn't want to be working for someone else. I have more but this is kind of irrelevant to the situation.

Maybe it's time to pivot in your business. Look for different revenue not in that niche.

I wouldn't hire anyone right now. I'd be looking for work(basic contracts) till I couldn't handle it alone.
Even then I'd be looking for ways to optimize the system so the work load can be less.

Well we had to cut down on regular employees and had to replace them with interns. Also I subcontract a lot of the work and have cut down on labor costs a lot that way. Pivoting is something we are considering but not a pivot per se.

As an marketing agency, there are 2 routes we think we can take. Going on more of the performance marketing way saying, 'hey we can run your ads but do them more efficiency'

Or another route we have considered to take is going the more creative way. Hiring a copywriter and designer (albeit part-time) and then when we pitch to clients (because these days our pitches are more like bids against our competitors) giving them examples and showing what direction they should take in terms of advertising (display and mobile), and then going with a concept for the complete marketing campaign including PR..

but i don't know...damn

before as an agency we were like, hey here is your budget and this is what we can do for it. But now clients are going direct with the advertisers which has cut the marketing budget by at least 70% and it really sucks :(

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
How much do you love this woman? How badly do you want kids? Do you want the slowlane lifestyle? How badly do you want to live the fastlane lifestyle?
Only YOU have the answers. Be completely rational about what you really want in life. Don't be in somebody else's plan.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
yea its crazy that I don't have any money but again, its my fault really. I could of easily saved 1/2 of my salary and at least had enough to pay off my student loans but I didn't. Reality didn't hit me until last year we didn't get the regular gov't contract and we had to lay off employees.

So you got sucked into the whole "if you got it, flaunt it" part of Asian culture?

In hindsight, you should have kept your mouth shut to everyone.

When I was looking at it, I first thought that your girlfriend was in the wrong here and that you need to axe her immediately.

But let's look at this from her point of view.

What does she want? Like biophase said, she wants kids, a nice home, and a good future for her kids. You're still not done paying off student loans. She's floating you while you try and get the business back where it was, and here you are on the inside thinking "no, I can't get the business back where it was". Of COURSE she's not going to support you because you're quite literally stuck in a business that's not making a cent! And worst of all, you're sitting there thinking one thing and doing another.

I'm surprised she hasn't left you already.

Her parents hate you, think you're a failure, and by your own admission, you're not exactly doing what you could be doing. SHE'S NOT HAPPY. Are you really doing what's best for her? Think about that. She needs stability, security, and the lifestyle she was raised to believe was standard. You need to make millions of dollars no matter what you have to suffer through today.

You think the business is going to fail? Sell your stake to your partner and get the F*ck out. Pay down the loan slowly, get a job so your woman doesn't have to pay for you, and start working on your next deal. You're 32, not 72. This isn't the last million you'll ever make.

Optimistic about what the business can do for the market? Stay in and then plan your next steps. If you gotta get a job on the side to float yourself, DO IT. If you gotta move into some guy's basement, DO IT.

Only you can make these decisions.

P.S. get your money spending habits in control. Forget about respect, because respect don't pay the rent.

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
How much do you love this woman? How badly do you want kids? Do you want the slowlane lifestyle? How badly do you want to live the fastlane lifestyle?
Only YOU have the answers. Be completely rational about what you really want in life. Don't be in somebody else's plan.

we've been dating for 9 years, such a long time. I want kids but not now, she wants them now. I don't want to live in the slowlane because I had a "taste" albeit small, of life in the fast lane and it was great.

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
Optimistic about what the business can do for the market? Stay in and then plan your next steps. If you gotta get a job on the side to float yourself, DO IT. If you gotta move into some guy's basement, DO IT.

I have a feeling that if we got married she would never allow me to start something on the side. She's a penny pincher and I really feel that she wouldn't allow for something like that. I'm guessing its a bad sign?

P.S. get your money spending habits in control. Forget about respect, because respect don't pay the rent.

Since we got the gov't contract, my salary went back to numbers before it was cut. I opened a savings account and now the 70% that I regain is going into a savings account...

Spacecake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 5, 2014
London - UK
That's a long read. It's been tough on you, and I do hope things get better soon. Yes you made some mistakes, but that cannot be changed. Focus on the way forward. I have never had a business, so I am definitely not the best person to advice you but I hope the wisdom of a novice helps.

First, life is not about me, me, me. Until this mindset changes, you'll always be frustrated and working in frustration sucks!

Then on my 3rd try, 4 years I started this agency, marketing agency. The first here with absolutely no competitors (I'm not in the US but in a foreign country) and we are also very niche. The first year was rough, I was working mornings and evenings doing part-time and working on my biz with my partner during the day and weekends. She supported me during this time, helped with rent sometimes, paid for dinner, groceries and what not. During this time we were living together...

Her parents hated me, they thought I was not talented enough for their daughter. I think some of it was racism as well (we are not of the same race). They sent emails telling me to break up and tried to bribe and coerce her into leaving me and going back to her home country. She is also a expat here. So yes, I have never met her parents during the 9 year relationship. I always felt like she never stood up for me..in her culture, respecting the parents wishes is the norm, i guess that's why. It hurt a little to be honest. For those who are unfamiliar with asian culture it's very hard to understand. Your parents have a lot of say in what you say or do for everything! (education, marriage, where you live, where u work, etc).

You seriously felt like she did not stand up for you?! Put yourself in her shoes. You are not giving her what she NEEDS (marriage) and she has to face the pressure of her family. I'm African, and we share similar cultures with the Asians. Trust me when I say the pressure on her from her family is overwhelming, and the last thing she will want is you being negligent to that fact.

But last year she was 29, now this year she is 30. Last year she pushed me on getting married and i said I wasn't ready. Actually it was 2-3 years ago when she started pushing me and last year I gave in and I said, ok I will propose next year, which is this year. Now this year has come around and she is telling me that it's time to fulfil my promise to get married...

Because that's what she NEEDS!!! Give her this and you'll be amazed at the support you'll get from her, and even her family. I'm speaking from an African experience. You will now be part of the family. Since divorce is not acceptable in most African/Asian cultures, they have no choice than to support you.

Ok, so we both live in asian countries. Those who are familiar with asian cultures know that getting married having children is very very important. Now that she is 30, she wants to have children and start a family. Family is the most important thing, not your business, not your parents, not your career. Family is.

Even in the Western world, family is among the top priorities of women especially. It's a fulfillment of their natural caring instincts.

But my reasons for starting this business are this:

1. I like the freedom. Yes coming in at noon sometimes after a late night of drinking is awesome, but i also work late too.
2. Pay is not bad during our uptime's, and using the corporate card whenever i want is awesome
3. The status for being a CEO in this country is very respectable, I like feeling respected
4. I like being independent and not having to work or report to someone
5. In the beginning I wanted to make a lot of money...who doesn't, I now realize that running an agency that I will *never* become rich. It's just impossible for an agency. Even being acquired, companies don't acquire agencies for much cash so i wouldn't even make that much money or not any at all. It'll most likely all go to loans..
6. When marketing, I love being able to make the decisions on what kind of direction, what services/companies, etc I want to use or pitch to our clients.
7. I love how I can bring my dog to work everyday

SEVEN reasons and you made not mention of the one you love?!! But you mentioned your dog. Maybe that's why she is negative. Again, life in general, not just being an entrepreneur, is never about me, me, me.

We are also an award winning agency, we have won a few awards from the work we have done. We have a great image in this industry but none of that has come in large contracts from companies. Now that it's 4 years, there are competitors. I would say maybe 3-4 competitors now so not everything comes to us.

Congratulations! Even in the midst of these challenges your provided good services that got you awards. That, my friend, is something to be proud of!

Ok wow...i wrote a lot. I spilled my guts and for those of you who read this far, thank you for reading this. If anybody has any insight, please share it. Would really love to hear from women in this. If I asked on any other forum, I don't think they would understand since they are not entrepreneurs and that is why I came here.

I will not consider myself an entrepreneur, but I just felt like giving my two cents. I really hope your business succeeds. Best of luck.

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
but would her and her parents support me after we got married? they would want a good life for their daughter and grandchildren and it wouldn't be able to be provided by me not making much money. The nagging to me on working in a 'safe' job with a 'stable' salary would be even more intense...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have a feeling that if we got married she would never allow me to start something on the side. She's a penny pincher and I really feel that she wouldn't allow for something like that. I'm guessing its a bad sign?

If your lives are not compatible, they're not compatible. Discuss it with her and if she just sees failure, failure, failure, then maybe she needs to find someone with a stable job so she can live the 'normal' life she wants.

And that's okay.

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
If your lives are not compatible, they're not compatible. Discuss it with her and if she just sees failure, failure, failure, then maybe she needs to find someone with a stable job so she can live the 'normal' life she wants.

And that's okay.

well we have been together for 9 years so I'm pretty sure we are compatible...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
well we have been together for 9 years so I'm pretty sure we are compatible...

That's not necessarily true. Look at the members here who have had marriages last many years that end in divorce.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Don't take advice from people on forums. Most of us haven't even had the patience to read your full post, let alone spend more than 5 minutes deciding what you should do with this major life decision.

Some ideas: Instead of asking "do I go with A or B?" ask "can I do A and B?" Another tactic is 10/10/10. "If I decide to get married and have kids right now, how will I feel 10 minutes from now? 10 months from now? 10 years?" These ideas help you get perspective. People online do not.

There's an amazing decision framework called WRAP. Here's a summary: http://heathbrothers.com/ot/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/The_WRAP_Process_one_pager.pdf

pepe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jul 23, 2014
Don't take advice from people on forums. Most of us haven't even had the patience to read your full post, let alone spend more than 5 minutes deciding what you should do with this major life decision.

Some ideas: Instead of asking "do I go with A or B?" ask "can I do A and B?" Another tactic is 10/10/10. "If I decide to get married and have kids right now, how will I feel 10 minutes from now? 10 months from now? 10 years?" These ideas help you get perspective. People online do not.

There's an amazing decision framework called WRAP. Here's a summary: http://heathbrothers.com/ot/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/The_WRAP_Process_one_pager.pdf

for my girlfriend, she does not see it as "can I do A and B" that is why I am forced to think "do I go with A or B"

Never heard of the 10/10/10.

I guess for me, I get married and have kids now, how do I feel in:

10 minutes: youth feels wasted
10 months: going through the motions and probably hating it
10 years: no clue lol

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
D

DeletedUser12

What is your agency doing to adapt to the client changes (besides downsizing)? Offering different services?

I had a friend with an agency who basically made a subset of the company that focused on smaller businesses with a 'packaged deal' for online marketing. The smaller company is still going strong and the bigger agency is basically dead because it was too hard to bring in the big clients consistently.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
Is there more money left in the market that you're losing because your partner can't make sales, or has your company grown to it's limit based on the available amount of money companies have to spend in the country you're in?

It sounds to me like your product is good (winning awards) and there are other competitors, so there at least WAS money left in the market a couple years ago...

Does your partner suck at sales? My knowledge of govt. contracts is that it's often determined based on price, so you could still win govt. contracts through price wars against your competitors. When getting contracts from companies there is more wiggle room you can create through good salesmanship. If there are only 3-4 competitors as you say, all the big companies must be going to them for their work, which also seems to me like your partner sucks at sales.

Have you ever gone to meetings with your partner? Have you watched him interact with clients? Is he doing anything to create connections with the "buyers" at the companies you want to get contracts with? Is he hustling hard or does he pull back to rest once he has secured a project that will save you for the next couple of months (just waiting for cycle to repeat)?

Could you cut an employee and hire another sales person to support your partner? Outsource the fired designer's work to a cheaper asian country (assuming you're not in phillipines/etc.).

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Sales have been about 1m a year for 3 years, last year we were -$150k. As an agency, 1m in sales isn't much because if we make 10-15% of that, its only 100-150k/year, then take into employee salary/rent/business trips/etc and we don't make any money. And from that 1m, I say...80% is gov't contracts.

Er.....this math doesn't stack up. If you are making 10-15% of 1 million annually, THEN taking out business expenses etc, what on earth is happening with the remaining 850,000-900,000 ???

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
10 minutes: youth feels wasted
10 months: going through the motions and probably hating it
10 years: no clue lol

Think you answered your own question. It's very hard to be make someone else happy if you aren't happy with yourself. Thread moved.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The GF issue is about figuring out what you want, then seeing if it matches up with what she wants.

I'll only comment on the business side...... sounds like you need to take some control in the business and work to improve it WITH you partner. Your posts reek of 'it is all on him' and 'it is out of my control (woe is me)'...... help with sales, get him to get help with sales, or get out.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
OMG, I want to slap you to wake you up.

What do you want in LIFE. ASK YOURSELF.

You answered your own question. Time to step up

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.