The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Misleading book title and cover?

G

GuestUser116

The eBook is about bodybuilding. Will the misleading title and cover prevent success in sales?
What is the best way to market the eBook? What platform does it need to be in?

Photo of eBook below

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I would use an image of a gladiator with a jacked body rather than a dude fighting a lion.

Sent from my iPhone using magic.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
images

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
The cover looks more like something for a novel than an exercise book and the font color is so close to the dominant color in the image the words don't immediately jump out. It took me about half a second to realize what I was looking at. The first things that popped into my head when I saw the cover were romance novel or gladiator mystery.

I think you might have some more success with the advice above about a ripped gladiator, and maybe tried to set up the picture so it was reminiscent of the old UFC gladiator opening.

G

GuestUser116

Update- New cover and title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
Maybe an explanation of what its about. Its pretty explanitory but adding "Simple steps to a physique that rivals leonidas"

Or even the same one you had on the first cover

Sent from my SGH-S730M using Tapatalk

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
Is that image from 300?

I think the idea for the cover is better but having the two images might be somewhat distracting and your name is getting lost in the image. Even if no one knows who you are, yet, make your name big and readable so it looks like someone who has the confidence of a Spartan Warrior who people will want to learn from.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I think this might be a niche where a photograph of an actual person who the reader would believe had gotten their results from this workout would be better, maybe superimposed over a gladiator/spartan picture to give it this kind of brand recognition? The type of covers you have might work if you are doing some direct response type marketing where the cover isn't as important as the copy you'd use to sell the book but it might be tough to get someone just seeing this on Amazon to give it a try, especially because this is a fairly competitive market.

G

GuestUser116

Is that image from 300?

I think the idea for the cover is better but having the two images might be somewhat distracting and your name is getting lost in the image. Even if no one knows who you are, yet, make your name big and readable so it looks like someone who has the confidence of a Spartan Warrior who people will want to learn from.
Didn't find a different position that looked good. I don't want the name to be bigger/same as the title, that's unattractive.

I think this might be a niche where a photograph of an actual person who the reader would believe had gotten their results from this workout would be better, maybe superimposed over a gladiator/spartan picture to give it this kind of brand recognition? The type of covers you have might work if you are doing some direct response type marketing where the cover isn't as important as the copy you'd use to sell the book but it might be tough to get someone just seeing this on Amazon to give it a try, especially because this is a fairly competitive market.
Viewers won't know that's me, anyone can google up an image of a ripped dude and use it as the cover.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I've spent a lot of time in the bodybuilding niche, and am fortunate enough to even have impressive honest before/after photos - this is a HARD niche. It's super-saturated.

How are you planning to get traffic?

You may have luck targeting people that "Like" 300 .etc on Facebook, and tying the product in more, especially if it contains the actual training and nutrition regimens of the actors. Otherwise, this is just another eBook jumping into a hugely saturated market.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Didn't find a different position that looked good. I don't want the name to be bigger/same as the title, that's unattractive.

Viewers won't know that's me, anyone can google up an image of a ripped dude and use it as the cover.
That's why Video works in this niche. It's WAY harder to edit. You'll notice most of the higher converting products on Clickbank in this niche have Video Sales Letters.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Lol, you can't use a copyrighted image for your book cover, especially a screenshot from a major film. The covers presented this far have been pretty bad. Rule #1 of self publishing: you can't look like your self published. You've broken rule #1.

G

GuestUser116

That's why Video works in this niche. It's WAY harder to edit. You'll notice most of the higher converting products on Clickbank in this niche have Video Sales Letters.
I'm going to try putting it on amazon. I'll price it at $2.99 until I get buyers then raise the price.

Still waiting on an answer to my question.
I wrote it. Do I have the body of a gladiator? Not 100% but I'm working on it.

G

GuestUser116

Lol, you can't use a copyrighted image for your book cover, especially a screenshot from a major film. The covers presented this far have been pretty bad. Rule #1 of self publishing: you can't look like your self published. You've broken rule #1.
What if I own the movie haha? The first cover is from a dude on fiverr for $5. The second one is my first attempt creating one. What do you propose to make it more professional?

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
What if I own the movie haha? The first cover is from a dude on fiverr for $5. The second one is my first attempt on creating one. What do you propose to make it more professional?
Haha definitely doesn't work that way. There are plenty of photos of Gladiators on stock image websites. And you can openly say "Spartan" if you want, just not '300'.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
The first cover is from a dude on fiverr for $5.
Alas, if you're hoping that the copyright owners would track down the Fiver guy somewhere overseas and sue him rather than you, you might be in for a bit of a shock.

What do you propose to make it more professional?
Look the top sellers on Amazon in your genre. How are their covers different from yours? Identify those differences, and then make yours look more like those big-sellers and less like an indie. Obviously, don't copy anyone's cover, but you can find some inspiration there.

G

GuestUser116

Alas, if you're hoping that the copyright owners would track down the Fiver guy somewhere overseas and sue him rather than you, you might be in for a bit of a shock.
I didn't publish anything yet.

Look the top sellers on Amazon in your genre. How are their covers different from yours?
They're not very sexually appealing.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
This was my first question.

That is why I bought Victor Pride's book. He has the body of a Spartan.
+1 for Victor Pride. He blogged for years before launching his book - that's what you'll need to do to replicate his success

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm going to try putting it on amazon. I'll price it at $2.99 until I get buyers then raise the price.

Don't think you get it. You won't get buyers with a cover like that, at least not many. Quit looking for a shortcut and do it right. If your cover looks like a turd, potential buyers will project that your content is also a turd.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And you should probably add a subtitle.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
smh.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Actually, I don't think this first book cover is that misleading.. Seeing words 'training routine' is clear that it's for training and being someone who works out, I get it. The gladiator fighting lion is a metaphor for strength which is also mentioned on the cover. Is it standard cover, not really, but this might be good exactly for that reason. It's a different cover. Only testing will show how it works, not people's comments.

And cover no.2 doesn't work at all because it is copyright infringement. Can't use those images.

I'd test cover no.1 and see how it does, then take it from there. It's easy to change the cover and simplify it.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I wrote it. Do I have the body of a gladiator? Not 100% but I'm working on it.

I could be wrong but at the age of 17 I doubt you bring a lot to the table about this subject. A subject in which you've admitted that you haven't achieved success in yourself.

I'll quote MJ from another post that can easily be applied here...

My opinion?

If you're selling weight loss pills or an eBook for six-pack abs and you're 100 lbs overweight with a stomach that sticks out a foot, you're probably chasing money.
If you have a cracked leathery face that would scare away the scarecrow and you're selling a skin beautification system, you're probably chasing money.
If you're talking about passive income hoping to make passive income by talking about it, you're probably chasing money.
If you're marketing a PDF that shows other people how to market PDF's to make money, you're probably chasing money.
If your company ceases to grow and slowly dies after you stop advertising, you're probably chasing money.
If you're not excited and proud of your product and your creation, you're probably chasing money.

To me the misleading thing here is not the title or the cover. The misleading thing is selling info about a subject you have yet to master.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're in great shape. I wouldn't call it "gladiator shape" but are are very fit.

Nonetheless, if you want to be taken seriously you have to get your book cover in shape.

Look at the category at Amazon and model what works.

For example, this structure is very common.

510hvFaaDjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Your covers look like a fiction novel ready to play out in ancient Rome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.