The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finish My Book and Publish

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I am tellin' ya, use @AubreyRose for the book cover. ;) She'll work with you... in ENGLISH even, and if you aren't happy the first time, she'll work to fix it. She is familiar with CreateSpace and the specs and knows what needs to be done. 5 of her covers (I think it's 5) landed on the New York Times Bestseller list. I don't think she'll let you down. If I am wrong you can hunt me down! :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Just thinking out loud, do you think you might get better some designs if you waited a couple days before throwing in the towel? I'm half-thinking that good designs might take a little longer, so hopefully your choices would improve.

It turns out that you were right about this. I woke up today and checked, and a guy had uploaded 7 different designs all based around the same theme/concept (just using different colors, fonts, etc). They are impressive to say the least. He took my initial concepts (which were very basic and straight-forward), combined them with artistic elements, and really surprised me. He took it a direction I hadn't envisioned. One of my characters is Puerto-Rican, and he somehow created a font that is based on Puerto Rican cartel lettering, which looks really cool and I would never have thought of it. I'm going to suggest a few enhancements and minor tweaks, which he's open to.

We'll see what else comes through. I'm doubting anybody is going to top this guy's work, but you never know. It looks like I've been the forum's 99Designs guinea pig. :wideyed:

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
The book cover is done and in my possession. It turned out better than I could have imagined. I ended up with three covers that were all based around the same design, the only difference being that each one uses the same colors, just in different places (hard to explain without showing you). I got the idea of doing a Kickstarter to fund a print run, and offer some signed books with limited edition covers as a perk for funding. This would come later though. 99Designs worked, but I did a lot of things wrong, so I got a bit lucky.

I've got a website up, nothing fancy though. It's about 75% ready. It's something I'll enhance over time, there's no need to go way overboard yet.

The next steps are to finalize the editing/rewriting, format/compile the book, finish getting all the marketing in place (which is quick) like Twitter, FB, Aweber, etc, and then... FIRE! (and of course, get rolling on the next book)

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
I've got a lot of stuff I'm working on.

--My dad has been reading my book. I wanted to get his critique on it since he is a better writer than me and has read many more books than I have. He got 1/4 of the way through and his computer messed up. I am going to get his input on changes I should make, since he will be the first person other than myself to read it. So far, he likes it. I might get a better gauge by sending it to anonymous readers, but there are problems with that too.

--I am in the process of finishing up a short story that's been on the shelf for a while. The first draft is finished, now I'm doing rewrites/edits. I was planning on giving it free to people who signed up to my email list, but I may hold off on that for a while.

--My website has come along. I've got a blog there, which will serve as my primary platform. I've signed up for Aweber, and have that in place. I'm pretty much set, except for some further tweaks here and there. Once the book is finished (trust me, it's close), I will offer the first few chapters as a free download.

--I read a book on book marketing. Lots of good stuff in it. I took detailed notes and typed them up. I have tons of ideas now. This guy mentioned passion one time and providing value 20 or 30 times, which is a good sign. Anyway, I'm working on setting up a funnel. The plan is to offer all kinds of value via social media and my website, and then NEVER offer my books for free on Amazon. That's basically what this guy recommends, so I'm going with it. So far: Twitter, Facebook, Google +, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr. I have some really good ideas for YouTube as well. Granted, I don't want to take too much time away from writing, so a balanced approach is what I'm going for. I also expect some mediums to not work, which is fine.

The main goal is to have a funnel to my writing, sort of like this:

Social Media ---> Blog/Website ---> Book Sale
Google Search --->Blog --->Twitter Follow ---> Book Sale

It basically translates to this: Lot's of Value (FREE via content marketing) ---> Book Sales (PAID)

This will take time and effort, but I think it's worth it.

My goal by the end of the year is to have three stories for sale (2 novels, 1 short story, if not more). As far as the results, who knows, but it's going to be fun.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Wow, you're making some serious progress! Congrats!

99Designs worked, but I did a lot of things wrong
So glad to hear it worked! Since you feel you did a lot of things wrong, any tips on what you'd do differently in the future? Those "lessons learned" can be so helpful.

NEVER offer my books for free on Amazon
Interesting. It sounds like you've researched this pretty thoroughly. There seems to be two primary reasons to avoid the free model: (1) Free no longer results in a good sales boost afterwards, and (2) Free attracts negative reviews. Are these the reasons you're not planning any free promos? And, any additional insight on free?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Nice progress. I hate design contest websites (cuz I'm biased obviously haha) but good that you found the cover you love.

I'm not a big fan of Free too but I wouldn't be dead set against it, extremes aren't good in general. If authors is writing fast then it's good to have one book free as an introductory offer and then sell others. That's how indie author like Russell Blake does it, he prices first in the series free and then has like 4-5 series of them. So while having free books shouldn't be your main strategy and only strategy, it's probably part of the puzzle that authors should use in some way. Esp. once you have like 3 books out. :)

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
So glad to hear it worked! Since you feel you did a lot of things wrong, any tips on what you'd do differently in the future? Those "lessons learned" can be so helpful.

I could probably do an entire post on it. The biggest thing I would do differently is make it a blind contest. Blind is where the other designers can't see what else has been submitted. That way, they don't know what they have to beat. I also think it is wiser to spend extra money and do a higher package. I did the bronze one, which is the cheapest, and most of the designs reflected this. It worked though because now I have a designer I'll probably use over and over.

Interesting. It sounds like you've researched this pretty thoroughly. There seems to be two primary reasons to avoid the free model: (1) Free no longer results in a good sales boost afterwards, and (2) Free attracts negative reviews. Are these the reasons you're not planning any free promos? And, any additional insight on free?

It's hard to say. I'm sure someone somewhere is making it work, but free is nowhere in my Amazon strategy. With free, you definitely need to have a specific strategy. I just see it a better use of our time as writers to use our website (blog and free stories from time to time) and social media for free content. Then, once people make their way through our funnel (something similar as mentioned above), they are already warmed up and willing to buy. If someone has 10 books, it might make sense to make one of them free, but there needs to be a specific goal in mind for this. My goal though is to look as much like a professionally published author as possible. Only self-published authors ever put stuff on Amazon as free, so I don't want to send out that signal. The other thing is if someone is unwilling to pay $3 for a book, maybe we don't want them as our reader? People are programmed to be skeptical of free based on all our life experiences dealing with businesses, marketing, and sales people. I would think .99 is better than offering as free. If they can't pay a dollar, let them go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Here is an update on recent developments:

-Still waiting for my dad to finish reading my book. He got bogged down with some computer problems, plus got sidetracked on a few other things. He's supposed to finish it this week. I want his feedback before I release it, because I trust his opinion and he's one of the few people close who won't bullshit me. I'm mainly hoping he will spot some things that I can't see. Next time I'm going to pay an editor to handle this end for me. The plan is to release the book sometime in July.

-Finished a short story I had written a while back. I'm going to give it away to anyone who signs up to my email list. I also designed a custom landing page so people who come to my site are more inclined to sign up. When they sign up, they get the story. We'll see how it goes. I don't have much traffic to speak of yet, so I won't know until my first book is released.

-I'm turning the short story I just mentioned into a novel. I put down 2,100 words yesterday in addition to the 5,800 I already have. They came very easy, which is not always the case. Odds are what will happen is I will move fast up to a certain point, then get bogged down for a while. That's what usually happens, but we'll see. I may be able to get this out by the end of the year, but I need to really move in order to do so.

G

GuestUser113

-I'm turning the short story I just mentioned into a novel. I put down 2,100 words yesterday in addition to the 5,800 I already have. They came very easy, which is not always the case. Odds are what will happen is I will move fast up to a certain point, then get bogged down for a while. That's what usually happens, but we'll see. I may be able to get this out by the end of the year, but I need to really move in order to do so.

Not sure if you know this. Recently amazon created a "short read" section. http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=kbhp_nb...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1840219842&pf_rd_i=154606011

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
I am doing one last round of edits before I put my book out there. It's time to get it done and move on to the next thing, which I've already started. I have lived with it for too long and put in a shit load of work on it, and it's time to see what the market thinks. The artist in me wants to hold on to it, keep tinkering with it until it's perfect, but the truth is that it will never be perfect. I wrote a first draft, then a rewrite, and a few rounds of edits. I'm going through it one more time, then it goes out there. I'm considering changing the ending, but a big part of me just wants to get it out there and see what happens.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I say get it out there and you can change the end later if needed.

First see how it does with the current ending. Maybe it will work just fine.

If you build a website you can even use another ending as a promotional idea for signing up on your mailing list.

"Subscribe today and get instant access to the never before published secret ending!"

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

If you build a website you can even use another ending as a promotional idea for signing up on your mailing list.

"Subscribe today and get instant access to the never before published secret ending!"
That's a terrific idea! May use it myself one day.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013

I definitely like the idea of getting it out there and getting feedback. I suppose I could always do further editing/rewriting later should I want to.

I have a 5,800 word short story up right now for this. I don't get much traffic to my website yet, so not sure how well it works yet. I end my book with an epilogue that goes 10 years into the future, which is what I'm not sold on. However, it does potentially set things up for a sequel.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
I'm done editing, so the book is essentially finished. Now I just need to get everything formatted, write a description, and fire away. I don't know how long this part of the process takes, but I may be able to publish sometime next week, or it may be the week after.

My plan is to release the book on a Tuesday with all the other new releases and sell at .99 until the following Monday, then go up to normal price. I'm not sure where normal price will be yet, probably either $2.99, $3.99, or $4.99. An exciting time though indeed.

I'm 10K words into the next one, so that's the next order of business.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If your copy is just for Kindle then the next part won't take that long.

It's relatively easy, and formatting guides are a dime a dozen on Google.

After you hit publish, be sure to post the link to your book here in the FREE Kindle Book Reviews thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
The book is currently published on Kobo, Nook, and Google Play. Amazon should go live later today. Going to get it on ibooks once they get their shit together and approve my tax info (there's a reason why Apple is in 5th place). Anyway, Amazon will obviously be the most important, so most of my focus will be there. It may prove to be a mistake to be published everywhere, but giving Amazon exclusivity makes me nervous. We'll see, I can always course correct. Once my book goes live there, I'm going to make sure it gets put in the correct categories. One of the categories, contemporary fiction, isn't a choice for some reason so I'm going to email them and get them to put it there, but the other (coming of age) should work immediately.

The formatting was a giant pain in the a$$, partially because of mistakes I made, but also because it's just a pain in the a$$. Next time I shouldn't have as many problems.

Somehow, all of this feels very anti-climactic for me, which it shouldn't. I started this book in 2008, and took my sweet time (until this year) getting it done for various reasons. When I was looking at the publish button, part of me couldn't believe I actually finished it and was taking it to market, so it is a milestone for me. My expectations are quite low for it though. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised. There are some breakout, crossover novels that come out of the contemporary fiction space, so who knows. The next one will be finished before the end of the year, I'm not going to drag my feet like I did for the last one.

The next steps:

-Start up my Twitter drip marketing experiment. One tweet per hour with a quote from the book, and a link to it. Try to start moving the needle
-Considering contacting some blogs/podcasters, but this may prove futile given that I only have one book out.
-Research doing a Kickstarter campaign. HUGE opportunities on Kickstarter, as has been proven by some fellow Fastlaners lately. I have a goal to raise $5,000 for a print run, which is a modest amount. Not impossible at all either, but it's all about presentation. Will need to make some videos for it.
-Continue working on my next book (currently at 13,000 words). I see this one having greater potential than the one I just published, because of the genre and it will be more well written.

All very exciting, but also daunting as well.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Congratulations!

About marketing. Why that Twitter experiment, did it work for someone? As a reader, I don't see value in seeing quotes in my stream. Maybe you'd just be better off spending that same time on a forum/group/blog where genre readers are talking already? That way you can build relationships that can eventually lead to sales! :)

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Why that Twitter experiment, did it work for someone?

From what I've seen, it's how many authors use Twitter to sell books. I actually read about it in a marketing book of a guy who sold a ton of books. Way better than saying "buy my book!". The idea is to build intrigue and get people to click. Beyond that, it's a way to get more Twitter followers. I've noticed that the more I tweet, the more followers I get. It's just a way to move the needle a little. Plus, it's not something that takes up a ton of time. I can schedule out an entire week at a time via Hootsuite, just cut and paste from a Word doc I've got.

Maybe you'd just be better off spending that same time on a forum/group/blog where genre readers are talking already?

I have considered that, though I haven't looked into it enough. Most of what I've found have been sites to help writers write better. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
From what I've seen, it's how many authors use Twitter to sell books. I actually read about it in a marketing book of a guy who sold a ton of books. Way better than saying "buy my book!". The idea is to build intrigue and get people to click. Beyond that, it's a way to get more Twitter followers. I've noticed that the more I tweet, the more followers I get. It's just a way to move the needle a little. Plus, it's not something that takes up a ton of time. I can schedule out an entire week at a time via Hootsuite, just cut and paste from a Word doc I've got.

I have considered that, though I haven't looked into it enough. Most of what I've found have been sites to help writers write better. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

My 2 cents (so take it as it is):

It's honestly no different than saying 'Buy My Book'.. that's because there is no relationship building, no chats, no nothing, just a pitch (in whatever wording it's still pitch). It's also hard to get intrigued (for me) in 140 characters. It seems maybe like more of a tactic for those who already have a bigger following and it's just for the current fans not to miss out on new release.

It's definitely true that the more you tweet the more follows you get, but they have to be relevant etc. You might just have way better investment of your time in GoodReads and their community and forums. You actually would be talking to readers who you know read, and can even see what they read.

To find more communities/forums, hire someone on Fiverr.com to scrape internet or just combine Google search results for your genre and then send you the list to check out.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
The trouble with investing time in social media is that there's a finite amount of it, and an author's best use of it is writing. Wish it were easy, but I sure haven't found a satisfactory way to do both.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
Update:

I've got 25,626 words on the next book, which is a thriller. I'm thinking it will be in the 60K-70K range, not totally sure right now though. I've had a goal set to have the first draft finished by Sept 1st, which will be tough at the rate I'm going. I need to be banging out 1,500+ words a day, but some days the words just don't come. I'm a perfectionist and don't want to put out something poor, even if it takes me more time. The first 10K words came easily, and the last 15K have been tougher, but today the story busted open and I may be able to get things down faster. I'd like to get this one out in October, though it may end up being November. It depends how quick I can do the rewrites/editing and how quick I can get a great book cover.

It also doesn't help me that my first book has done almost nothing, which I don't get at all. It's not in a great genre for self-published books apparently, though there are many bestsellers from the traditional publishing world in it. I'll be running a free promo and a countdown deal the end of the month to coincide with a Kickstarter, and I may use a book blast service (something other than BookBub, I doubt they would take take me). In hindsight, I see things that I don't like with the first book that will be done differently with the next one, but again, I'm a perfectionist.

The pressure is definitely mounting as I have no job and about 6 or 7 months before savings run out, trying not to panic. I can tell you that I'm aiming for the upper deck with this next one.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
It sounds like you're making great progress!

It's not in a great genre for self-published books apparently, though there are many bestsellers from the traditional publishing world in it.

I wish I could recall where I heard this, but somewhere (probably on a podcast) an author mentioned he was having trouble competing in his genre, because there were so many traditionally published books, and then, he raised his price. The logic was that if his price were more comparable to what the traditionally published books were asking, it would actually help him look more like a traditionally published book, and not like an indie. I recall him saying he had some success with this technique. I'm not sure what your book is priced at, but if it's a lot lower than your competitors, maybe that's something to look at.

Here's to you hitting the upper deck! :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I've got 25,626 words on the next book, which is a thriller. I'm thinking it will be in the 60K-70K
Have you checked the page count for other books like your WIP? I ask because you're talking about a book that will end up to be between 200-250 pages, depending on whether you publish to CreateSpace and get real page count, or just to the ebook version, which will estimate fewer than actual count. I don't know what kind of thriller, i.e., what sub-category it will be, but I checked the top 15 or so medical thrillers, where our (@mossie's and mine) is #8, and they range from a low of around 295 to over 600 pages. Ours, at 320, is on the low end. If I'm not mistaken, it was over 100k words. My latest romance, at almost exactly 80k words, ended up with 292 actual pages on CreateSpace.

I don't want to discourage you, but if you're swinging for the upper deck, you might want to reconsider your anticipated word count. It seems that thriller readers want a meaty book.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I don't want to discourage you, but if you're swinging for the upper deck, you might want to reconsider your anticipated word count. It seems that thriller readers want a meaty book.
This sounds like excellent advice. I can attest to a similar problem in reverse. My last book, I think, was too long for my genre. It's funny how this works, but it's definitely something worth looking at.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is was my mistake on social media the last few years. Just getting followers doesn't do the trick. You do have to engage with them and become personal. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time doing that, but it seems to be working when you get more personal.

I also use the commun.it that tells me who is the influencers and supporters. Thanks them for following and tweeting etc. Monitors people engaging. Who to follow and unfollow. I noticed this works, because you find the influencers that will tweet your stuff, and how many followers does your followers have? I've been following the one's that have 1 M followers or more. One person yesterday had two other people paying attention to me. I search the hashtags for the audience to interact with tweets. Works so far, but I've only been doing it for two weeks.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Do you all edit yourself?

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
It sounds like you're making great progress!

An astounding amount of overall progress over the last seven months, but no money yet to show for it, and money pays the bills.

I wish I could recall where I heard this, but somewhere (probably on a podcast) an author mentioned he was having trouble competing in his genre, because there were so many traditionally published books, and then, he raised his price. The logic was that if his price were more comparable to what the traditionally published books were asking, it would actually help him look more like a traditionally published book, and not like an indie. I recall him saying he had some success with this technique. I'm not sure what your book is priced at, but if it's a lot lower than your competitors, maybe that's something to look at.

For #1, the primary category is contemporary fiction, which is a genre where the traditional publishers crush indies in sales. There's just so many well written books in that genre, and some well known names too. The big problem is I have no idea how many people are finding my book. My guess is not many, so it just comes down to getting seen somehow, and I'm just not sure how to do that.

I'm priced at $2.99, so I could easily go up, but I won't do that until after I run my promos, which will be last week in August or first week in September. I'm going to run it free for 5 days (which I hate to do), then at .99 for 7 days. That's 12 days discounted. Then, I'm going to add a page to the front pushing a Kickstarter campaign. I may also find a way to push people from Kickstarter to my Amazon page. Kickstarter is free, they make their money once you're funded. I have no idea if any of that will work, but at this point, there's nothing to lose.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.