The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't get a job * Unless it is to learn sales*

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Correction: Don't get a job unless it is to learn a SKILL.

I love Kiyosaki, bro's very good at explaining complex ideas very simply.
This is one take-away from his books I agree wholeheartedly with.
A job is training you're paid for.

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
Yea. I would agree with @DennisDuty that a job can provide you with some solid skills.

My question is, "what skills are most important???" I think having some edgy talent in the beginning is helpful (from personal experience) but developing the right skills as time goes on is what I think is important.

Ultimately, developing my abilities as a leader and in sales are going to help tremendously. EVERYTHING is sales. You sell your opinions, you sell yourself to potential VC's, you sell your ideas to people at work, You sell your product to distributors, retailers, manufactures, ect, ect. Selling to me is knocking out objections and building up benefits, until someone says, "damn what am I waiting for, I need to get one".

Leadership is so hugely important as an entrepreneur. You reach a point where I can't do everything. I need to first attract and then lead other talented people to help reach higher goals. If i'm good at selling and leadership I can get coders, designers, manufactures, marketers, ect to all join my cause.

I don't think leaderhip & sales will steer you wrong. I like these two skills because I can carry them to the next project. For me they won't get outdated like learning, C++, Python, PHP, PHotoshop, ect. Those tech skills get updated every other year #aintgottimefodat.

However, I'm no expert and I'm interested to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions on what are the key skills to develop for success?

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Correction: Don't get a job unless it is to learn a SKILL.

I love Kiyosaki, bro's very good at explaining complex ideas very simply.
This is one take-away from his books I agree wholeheartedly with.
A job is training you're paid for.

Boom goes the dynamite. Dead on Dennis

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I don't think leaderhip & sales will steer you wrong. I like these two skills because I can carry them to the next project. For me they won't get outdated like learning, C++, Python, PHP, PHotoshop, ect. Those tech skills get updated every other year #aintgottimefodat.

I think having technical skills can help quite a bit in giving you an unfair advantage in your business.

The person skilled in photoshop + photography has a HUGE unfair advantage when they launch their clothing brand.
All of a sudden those $5000 photoshoot costs completely disappear. They can rapidly adapt their visual style to reflect changing conditions and it's all FREE.
HUGE HUGE advantage over the person with leadership skills who STILL has to throw down $20K in marketing costs to get to the same branding strength.
Obviously it's not sustainable long-run for the CEO to be out on photoshoots, but every dollar counts in early-on.

The only reason I was able to make a living off my minecraft ebook is because I knew how to make video sales letters for free, and didn't have to hire somebody else (using $ I didn't have) to get it done.

Likewise, the guy who knows C++ or Python or PHP has a similar advantage.

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
I think having technical skills can help quite a bit in giving you an unfair advantage in your business.

The only reason I was able to make a living off my minecraft ebook is because I knew how to make video sales letters for free, and didn't have to hire somebody else (using $ I didn't have) to get it done.

Likewise, the guy who knows C++ or Python or PHP has a similar advantage.

Right, Which I agree with. Skills help greatly early on. I started my business and did everything in house. However you reach a point where doing those, what I call "slowlane tasks" should be outsourced and it's time to learn other skills. Which I believe are sales and leadership.

I could just be reflecting where I'm at right now. But I think everyone hits that point.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Leadership is sales and sales is a form of leadership.

On 3 specific significant occasions during my Naval career I was chosen to fill a role completely unrelated to my background and training. Once to fix a broken leadership void and twice because I was chosen over the best qualified candidates from within the fields.

You can put a leader into an average situation and get results superior to what you'd get from placing average talent into an above average situation.

Leaders can and do reap the rewards from leading others efforts.

I was only an average tech, but I am still an exceptional leader.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Years ago, being a shy introvert, a guy who would avoid going into public settings because I was worried what people thought of me, how I looked etc, I heard Kiyosaki explain why Skills are all that matters, and selling is the king of skills in business.

I said F it, took a job that was 100% commission-based, knocking doors from 9am to 11pm some days, selling furnaces, ACs, etc. Don't matter if it's raining, snowing, hot as F, windy, whatever.

Best thing I ever did in my life. Some people say you need a thick skin in business, That gave me a iron-clad barrier to rejection. Hearing "No" 90 times a day will do that to you, lol.
Second, the ability to talk to, make friends with, virtually anyone. Identify emotional states, peoples way of thinking. PRICELESS.

After knocking over 25,000 doors, I'm addicted. Nothing like the feeling when you come out successful from one of those deals you really had to use your skills for. Better than any drug.

Now that I'm doing online sales, which is a subset, with way more traffic, I still kind of miss that feeling of closing that one deal face-to-face.

So yes, HIGHLY recommend it.

P.s Thinking about writing a quick Sales eBook from all my experiences that will elaborate body language secrets for instant rapport, how to conversate normally and still be closing, and how to deal with rejection for Beginner Salesman/ Entrepreneurs looking to sharpen their Sales skills. Would there be any interest for something like this?

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Skills are precious during a bootstrapping or startup phase. But beyond that, I would say having experience in many aspects of business plus being an effective program manager would be most effective in the subsequent phases. It helps if you can understand enough about what people you hire do in order to point out their deficiencies.

I would personally say that leadership in its purest form is authority plus management plus charisma plus team building towards a mutually beneficial goal that can be reached more effectively through collaboration.

@jon.a were you enlisted or officer? What was your rate?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Skills are precious during a bootstrapping or startup phase. But beyond that, I would say having experience in many aspects of business plus being an effective program manager would be most effective in the subsequent phases. It helps if you can understand enough about what people you hire do in order to point out their deficiencies.

I would personally say that leadership in its purest form is authority plus management plus charisma plus team building towards a mutually beneficial goal that can be reached more effectively through collaboration.

@jon.a were you enlisted or officer? What was your rate?
ATCS (NAC)

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
P.s Thinking about writing a quick Sales eBook from all my experiences that will elaborate body language secrets for instant rapport, how to conversate normally and still be closing, and how to deal with rejection for Beginner Salesman/ Entrepreneurs looking to sharpen their Sales skills. Would there be any interest for something like this?

I'd be interested and would give you my feedback on it.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Blue Lion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 30, 2013
Asia
Silverhawk, definitely interested in a book like that. Any progress? Have you sold an informational product like that before?

Mohammed Hamza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Feb 4, 2014
Kolkata, India
What about the people who hold a job unrelated to sales or business for that matter? How can they learn these skills which are essential to join the Fastlane?

For example, pilots,engineers,navy,army,school teachers etc.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
What about the people who hold a job unrelated to sales or business for that matter? How can they learn these skills which are essential to join the Fastlane?

If you can't get them at your job, which, I don't know if it's possible that you can't, then you will have to learn elsewhere. Books/Videos/Online courses and so forth will help. If not, build your fastlane and gain first hand experience at doing your own selling. You'll figure it out eventually, but you won't be getting paid to do it (at no risk to you) like you would at another company. If you can't gain these skills in some form at your job, learn all that you can from your job and look for needs instead. If not, just quit and find something that allows you to learn something. What's the point at staying at your job when you aren't learning anything useful anymore?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

Outside of the executive suite, usually the best paid engineers are sales engineers.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Any progress?

Been busy with the biz but giving myself a 7 month time frame. Want to make it really simple of everyone to understand and include some secrets of the trade you may never have thought salesmen would be doing.

Appreciate the interest, will definitely keep you posted.

How can they learn these skills which are essential to join the Fastlane?

Start with simple things.

Talk to 10 random people by making a general observation ("Nice bag, where'd you get it?" "Rain is terrible today" "Do you know where the subway is?") Train yourself to ask 10 questions atleast everytime to talk to someone about something they are interested in.
Reach the "hook point" (where you've struck a chord about something they like, and they light up and can't stop talking about it).
Train to make consistent eye contact, hold good upright body posture.
Convince someone of something everyday, using THEIR buying buttons.

Read books on sales, persuasion, communication, verbal language, body language.

If you do that for a year, you will be in the top 1% of communicators in the world.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
Been busy with the biz but giving myself a 7 month time frame. Want to make it really simple of everyone to understand and include some secrets of the trade you may never have thought salesmen would be doing.

Appreciate the interest, will definitely keep you posted.

Start with simple things.

Talk to 10 random people by making a general observation ("Nice bag, where'd you get it?" "Rain is terrible today" "Do you know where the subway is?") Train yourself to ask 10 questions atleast everytime to talk to someone about something they are interested in.
Reach the "hook point" (where you've struck a chord about something they like, and they light up and can't stop talking about it).
Train to make consistent eye contact, hold good upright body posture.
Convince someone of something everyday, using THEIR buying buttons.

Read books on sales, persuasion, communication, verbal language, body language.

If you do that for a year, you will be in the top 1% of communicators in the world.

were you scared when you just starting? how did you deal with it?

I'm so scared i want to vomit.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
were you scared when you just starting? how did you deal with it?
I'm so scared i want to vomit.

Bro knees buckling the first door I ever knocked, voice dried up, open my mouth nothing came out. Homeowner just looking at me like "wtf ? :cookoo: "

Then same thing next door. Same next door. Then I realized they don't really give a shit if I'm messing up, they just want to know what the hell I want, and why I'm there.

Everyone has some questions in there mind, that's how we think. By Asking questions. If you can just answer the questions, they will understand better.

You have to remove your own emotions and look at it like problem solving, "Hmm, what are the questions they are thinking right now? What answer can I give that will answer that simply?" Then you try it.

Remember... 7 billion people in the world. Even if you F*ck up and piss off 10,000 people.. there is still 6,999,990,000 people left.
Same thing with chicks ;)

curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 8, 2014
Ireland
Bro knees buckling the first door I ever knocked, voice dried up, open my mouth nothing came out. Homeowner just looking at me like "wtf ? :cookoo: "

Then same thing next door. Same next door. Then I realized they don't really give a shit if I'm messing up, they just want to know what the hell I want, and why I'm there.

Everyone has some questions in there mind, that's how we think. By Asking questions. If you can just answer the questions, they will understand better.

You have to remove your own emotions and look at it like problem solving, "Hmm, what are the questions they are thinking right now? What answer can I give that will answer that simply?" Then you try it.

Remember... 7 billion people in the world. Even if you F*ck up and piss off 10,000 people.. there is still 6,999,990,000 people left.
Same thing with chicks ;)

Currently in sales myself, at the start it is very hard but if you know what your selling and have questions related to that area, it becomes a lot easier.

Definitely agree with taking a job for a skill, but yet this is something that is thought in books and you could practice on your own. just keep asking questions and you can't lose.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.