The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How bad do you want it? Enough to go "all in?"

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Well this thread resurfaces at a very opportune time; I have finally made the decision to move back to Phoenix. After arguing/discussing all of the options with my girlfriend, we (mostly I) have decided that this would probably be the best option to get things rolling.

After much thought and introspection I have realized that I don't care about anything in the area where I currently reside. I have worked over many business ideas and it has become such an onerous task because nothing interests me here. The economy is very stagnant, there are no new businesses opening and most are just hanging on. Unemployment is still high and the area is very depressed. With all of these factors, I just cannot find it within myself to make things work.

Hitting the road with $600 in my pocket, some clothes in a bag, and a laptop might not be the most rational decision, but I believe if I stay here it will be detrimental to my health and my psyche.

I am excited and scared, but I look forward to the transition and the journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pawmarks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 21, 2014
Manchester, Washington
Hitting the road with $600 in my pocket, some clothes in a bag

One very powerful alternative to hitting the road is hitting the deck (of a blue water vessel), which removes the "stuck-in-one-location" syndrome for EVER (or as long as one can resist the very homo sapien temptation to return to the insane world of the landlubbers - which, I admit is tough - at the end of the day, we remain creatures of the wolf pack, and love our (insert fav wargames sport) and mosh pits, roller coasters, state fairs, etc (relatives of which can all be experienced crossing large oceans on one's own vessel, but who's counting?)

The richest among us buy an island, which can be very cool: translation - SOVEREIGNTY (sorry, couldn't resist capitalizing that one - kinda big). The slightly less-than-rich buy something even more powerful (which the richies have in abundance as well) - a moveable island called a yacht. Suitably equipped with a sat link run up the mast or pilothouse radar bar, there is ZERO functional difference in income or oppty anymore, although good luck competing in first person live shooter matches with that latency - perhaps when the sats get a wee bit bigger...

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
There is definitely something to moving to a new place. For years I aspired to reach levels of success unthinkable by my family and friends I've known for years. Besides being hard enough learning how to think and act like a successful person, it's hard to go against the social and economic currents that you've known all your life. And five months straight each year of cold and grey surely wasn't helping either!

I took a leap and moved to Southern California. I love the weather and the beach. There are a lot of people with a lot of money, or at least the appearance of being wealthy. Much much more than I had ever seen before! It really opened my mind to the possibilities of what I could do and have if I invest my time and abilities in the right things!

I started meeting wealthy people and quickly realized they had a very different perspective about time and money than the poor people I grew up around. I have not yet reached a high level of success, but am now making progress after years of little to no progress at all!

Do it!

Ugh, you moved to my dream place.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Well this thread resurfaces at a very opportune time; I have finally made the decision to move back to Phoenix. After arguing/discussing all of the options with my girlfriend, we (mostly I) have decided that this would probably be the best option to get things rolling.

After much thought and introspection I have realized that I don't care about anything in the area where I currently reside. I have worked over many business ideas and it has become such an onerous task because nothing interests me here. The economy is very stagnant, there are no new businesses opening and most are just hanging on. Unemployment is still high and the area is very depressed. With all of these factors, I just cannot find it within myself to make things work.

Hitting the road with $600 in my pocket, some clothes in a bag, and a laptop might not be the most rational decision, but I believe if I stay here it will be detrimental to my health and my psyche.

Mike, congratulations!! You've taken action. You have a laptop and if you're serious, I would love to speak to you about something that can help you instantly ? Interested ?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Do it! I promise nothing bad will come from it. It's a +EV play ;)

http://foreverjobless.com/ev-millionaires-math/

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
When I moved to the Netherlands a year go it was scary leaving everything behind! That was the question I kept asking myself. How bad do I want it! The best year of my life and everything fell into place. Still does every day. I figured if it wasn't now I'd never do it. I ask that question every day. I'll never regret it. I'm not there yet. I will be one day. I had to come here to get success. :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
It's funny because before I even read the book and got on here I was looking at the Phoenix area as a new home. My friend moved there recently and told me its blowing up economically. He moved there for a better job, but that's another thing.

Plus $45 LLC doesn't sound bad at all.

Midas Touch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 31, 2014
I want to leave this f*cking city so f*cking bad! I would walk out right now with $300 in my pocket but the only thing keeping me here is guilt. The last time I left home it ended up bad and I refused to return until I made it. My mom called crying, begging me to come back. It hurt. I still stayed but I returned home when I had absolutely nothing and needed to rebuild myself (mission failed). *

I read this thread yesterday and it motivated me to move out. So I did research on the city I was going to move, how much I needed, how much traveling there would cost (coast to coast), etc. I made a goal to move out by next Tuesday (6/17). I had $800 and I was planning to apply for a credit card so I could leave by next week but I read that goat thread... So I decided to do a flip. I found a Macbook pro 2010, 13" etc. for $500. I found someone who wanted to buy a macbook and was willing to spend $1,000. I called the buyer and told him the specs and said it was $800. He agreed immediately. I called the seller and met with him to buy it. After I bought it, I went to meet the buyer but he never showed. He called to confirm meeting up 30 minutes before but disappeared. I waited an hour, texted him 10 times, etc. Nothing. So I'm left with $300 and crushed spirits.

What am I going to do?

I'm gonna get rid of this Macbook. I'm gonna post on CL & Ebay and try to break even (AT THE VERY F*CKING LEAST!). I'm gonna continue to do some middle man deals to make some extra cash. I have a slight idea what went wrong but I need to analyze it tomorrow so I can improve. Not doing it right now because I'm drinking. If I didn't I would be driving to my nearest university frat house to curb stomp some frat boys.

Can members please post some stories on how you are able to thrive when leaving home with NOTHING? Where did you go? What did you do? Who did you meet? What did you have to do to survive?

* And if you guys wouldn't mind, how can I convince my parents that I can survive with $300 in my pockets? And that I would be better off on my own because like @dknise said, there are too many ghosts here. I feel like a kid when I'm back home. When I was out on my own in uni across the continent, I was so much more confident, motivated, etc.

Cheers!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You're kind of like the feeder fish at the bottom of the fish tank. It's a process and if you don't have a plan, well that would be: A. Homeless Shelter B. Low-income housing C. Street D. Live with someone

You don't get from Homeless to Fastlane that fast. It's a process. What skills do you have? What education? Studying on your own? What are you doing to get out of the situation? At least have a $1000 dollars before you just leave. How old are you? Unless you're under the age of 18, you don't need to convince anyone too leave. It's your life.

Do you even have a car? This is the thing you need transportation. While fastlane may be the goal you really have to think things through.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Can members please post some stories on how you are able to thrive when leaving home with NOTHING?

You're not going to like hearing it, but get a job. You need to be able to cover the necessities of life. However, once you're self-sufficient, F*ck what anyone else thinks.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Midas Touch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 31, 2014
@Mattie @splok

Thank you both for taking time to respond. After some deep reflection, I realized I need to prepare more and focus on the present than the future. I'm rush through stuff and try do to multiple things at a time. I need to take it one day at a time.

P.S. Love the video!

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Really considering packing up and moving to Southern California and getting a job and a studio apt someplace cheap. Western PA sucks lol. Only thing that worries me slightly is leaving behind my mother who is single. I'd almost rather just take her with me, I promised to always take care of her because she was a single mother and gave me a great childhood with what she had.

Maybe in the next month or two we'll pack up and go.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
One day at a time is correct. Create or co-create something positive in the moment. Before you know it every moment you are focused and learning something, the rewards pay off. Traveling anywhere in your mind than right now, you're not where you need to be. The past or future at this particular moment can't do anything for you. Acting on this moment can. You're very welcome! :) Do what you can in the moment with what resources you have available. Use those resources wisely.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I recently went all in.

I didn't go anywhere.

I just decided F*ck it its time. I am too F*cking smart to be this broke. I paid my dues. I have dedicated the last 15 yrs of my life to my kids. they are old enough to fend for themselves for the most part (with guidance of course) they arrived before I knew of the fastlane. I had to honor my commitment to them. I did and now its my turn.

I decided years ago that I could do both, (start fastlane and raise kids) but no matter what one would suffer. it didn't make sense in my head to half a$$ the business side. and there was 0 chance I was ever going to do anything to effect my ability to be there 24/7 for my kids the kids suffering was never even an option... you only get one chance to raise your children. there are no do overs... so stupidly, rightesouly whatever I made my decision and now I made another one. :) its time and theres no looking back!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
well holy shit... what a difference 12 hours makes. I have been offered a 6 figure salary to move across the country to Puget sound!

been reading and talking and verifying and it seems totally legit.

since I am all in I guess I am going to Washington!!!!!!!!!

(its not really a job so much as its like a massively huge opportunity to do insane things...)

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
^^Congrats to you that is awesome!

I was just reading The Robert Collier Letters and found this quote in there. This quote has to be at least 80 years old. I really liked it and it reminded me of this thread.

"The saving event in many a man's life is the blow that takes away the props that have supported him, and leaves him to look out for himself. Many persons have told me that this is true of their own lives, and we know it is true of ours."

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I just went all-in today. Quit my job that was supposed to start in November.

Dad is very disappointed, tells me I'm setting a bad example for my younger brother who is already iffy on college. Gave me a calm speech about how my decisions affect more people than myself. Makes me feel like crap but that comes with the territory. He'll be proud one day.

Taking an idea to my entrepreneurship professors over the next couple weeks. Even if it doesn't take me anywhere I'll have gotten experience. Learning to write copy as well, it's crazy how much stuff goes into it. Very interesting.

My avatar is a constant reminder of where I want to be, Camelback Mountain, AZ. I will be moving there in 4 months, and will climb to the top every morning. Even though I'll climb to the top every day, there will be one day that is different from the rest. When I can look out and know I've made it. That moment will be the best moment of my life.

See you at the top my friends!

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
i recently decided to say "F*ck it" I'm going all in. For a while I kept worrying about failing, when in a way i want to fail. To learn. Also I'm 16, what do i have to lose at this point?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
well holy shit... what a difference 12 hours makes. I have been offered a 6 figure salary to move across the country to Puget sound!

been reading and talking and verifying and it seems totally legit.

since I am all in I guess I am going to Washington!!!!!!!!!

(its not really a job so much as its like a massively huge opportunity to do insane things...)
not really an opp to do insane things so much as it was someone misrepresenting themselves and the offer that was presented :) I am still ready to go all in. just with my eyes open. this is not the time to leap :)

Rob Riddler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 11, 2014
not really an opp to do insane things so much as it was someone misrepresenting themselves and the offer that was presented :) I am still ready to go all in. just with my eyes open. this is not the time to leap :)

I got some ocean front property in Arizona. Its insanely cheap and prime to make you the big bucks. If you are ready to go all in and do insane stuff, lets get this deal done.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I got some ocean front property in Arizona. Its insanely cheap and prime to make you the big bucks. If you are ready to go all in and do insane stuff, lets get this deal done.
right after I get rid of this really neat bridge someone sold me for an awesome low down payment and easy monthly ones ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Moved to GOLD.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
My partner and I went all in last December and sold/donated almost everything, including the car. We limited ourselves to what could fit into the smallest Uhaul, parked the few boxes/bikes in my parents basement, took the cats, two suitcases, and moved to Europe. We HATED living in Minneapolis every minute of every day we were there (3.5 years). People wax lyrical about how green and family friendly it is, but when its not the right place its not the right place. We moved to London and its taken a few months to get mentally right, but already we both feel its the right move now. A forever home? Probably not, but at least for the next 5-7 years.

I spent a few months beating myself up for not growing an entrepreneurship business before we left, but we had so much negative energy surrounding us where we were that it just wasn't possible. We are giving it all to make this move work because really, there isn't anything to go back to. It was a leap of faith to test our skills and encourage good growth towards our dreams. Sink or swim baby!

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Any fastlaners (or aspiring fastlaners) have experience emigrating from UK to USA? Willing to share any advice if so?

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I just went all-in today. Quit my job that was supposed to start in November.

Dad is very disappointed, tells me I'm setting a bad example for my younger brother who is already iffy on college. Gave me a calm speech about how my decisions affect more people than myself. Makes me feel like crap but that comes with the territory. He'll be proud one day.

Taking an idea to my entrepreneurship professors over the next couple weeks. Even if it doesn't take me anywhere I'll have gotten experience. Learning to write copy as well, it's crazy how much stuff goes into it. Very interesting.

My avatar is a constant reminder of where I want to be, Camelback Mountain, AZ. I will be moving there in 4 months, and will climb to the top every morning. Even though I'll climb to the top every day, there will be one day that is different from the rest. When I can look out and know I've made it. That moment will be the best moment of my life.

See you at the top my friends!

Said in this post I'd be moving to AZ in 4 months, but I'm in Phoenix already. Got into town on Thursday, absolutely love it here. I've been up Camelback 3 times so far. Today while hiking I got into an embarrassing fight with a bee for a good 3 minutes and saw a desert spiny lizard :)

All-in and there's no turning back :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.