The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how much reading before action

C

copywriter1980

how much reading should you do before you actually start a business. Iv been reading for some time now and still feel like I don't know how to start. Before you list me 3 steps to start a business and call me lazy. If read and

heard millionaires say you need to know what not to do otherwise you could fail for decades. Failure isn't always a good thing. Plenty of people fail fail and fail for 10 years. I think we can agree you can't start being

foolish and naive. I've read you should read books for 3 years then start. I've heard other opinions. And it also depends on the kind of business you start as well right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Reading too much about business is one thing, but now you want to read about how much you should read about business. That's some meta timewasting, action-avoidance type of shit.

Just decide how you want to make money, then start. Read as you go, and when you fail, read to improve and try again.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Dude thinking for yourself is the worst thing you can do in terms of business when you don't know how.

You will learn alot from you're mistakes and failures, .
Dude thinking for yourself is the worst thing you can do in terms of business when you don't know how.

Not every thing can be perfect and planned somethimes you gotta make mistakes/fail to succeed thats what i learned from many succesful/rich peeps

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
As you read you should be making a to-do list. Put that into something like Evernote or Things as you read.

Then, when you're done reading (either that day because you're saturated like I do; or when you finish the book if you blast through books), organize the to-dos/action items and execute them. Here's an example:

I am currently making my first iPhone app for my 28-Day Handstand Challengers. I bought The App Shortcut book to learn more about making apps by outsourcing (even though I can program on my own). Here are the to-dos I put together from the book.
  1. Create Tablet Mockups
  2. Create Smartphone mockups
  3. List out smartphone specs
  4. List out Tablet specs
  5. Register on App Store
  6. Download Apple SDK
  7. Create App icon
  8. Create App Launch Image
Later today, I will be making posts on oDesk and eLance to get the design tasks done, and have already drawn up the mockups using Balsamiq.​

If you're just getting started, you should always have at least 1 project you're working on even if it's complete crap. This gives your business/marketing books context to which you can apply the ideas which makes them concrete. Even if that business idea never really comes to fruition, it gives you a framework to think about things.

You can just pick a random idea from the ideas board: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/forums/idea-bucket-need-analysis.87/

Alternatively, you can pick ONE product that you keep in mind (like the Coolest cooler, or the Lockitron) and think about how the material applies to that one product.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

WoofurrBro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 18, 2014
Latvia
Read until you're confident you know what to do.
If you're not confident you can take action yet, I'd say ask yourself, what's the problem? Why can't you take action? What do you not know yet?
And then go get that information, go get that confidence.

Remember, you're taking action right now, not later. Reading is a crutch that you have to get off of ASAP.

C

copywriter1980

Read until you're confident you know what to do.
If you're not confident you can take action yet, I'd say ask yourself, what's the problem? Why can't you take action? What do you not know yet?
And then go get that information, go get that confidence.

Remember, you're taking action right now, not later. Reading is a crutch that you have to get off of ASAP.
Thanks for the response. Well that's the thing I don't know what I don't know. I do know that I'm trying to plan perfectly which is a form of procrastination. I don't have an idea. Ideas are supposedly everywhere but I don't see them. I also don't have any money. I've read the fast lane 3 times. Yes I've read ice creams posts as well.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Thanks for the response. Well that's the thing I don't know what I don't know. I do know that I'm trying to plan perfectly which is a form of procrastination. I don't have an idea. Ideas are supposedly everywhere but I don't see them. I also don't have any money. I've read the fast lane 3 times. Yes I've read ice creams posts as well.

You're overthinking.

Find an idea. Any idea. Put the top 10 on a dartboard and throw a dart and see which one you hit. That's the one you do.

Here's a huge list of them: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/forums/idea-bucket-need-analysis.87/

Execute it with your whole heart. Try to make it happen. Chances are it will.

Then see what you learned, and apply it to the next thing.

It's not an overnight thing.

C

copywriter1980

I also try learn more about the mindset millionaires have. If jack edwards or any other mukti millionaire lost everything. They would become a millionaire within 6 months again, which continues to baffle me. And I don't know what type of business to get into. So many different kinds

C

copywriter1980

You're overthinking.

Find an idea. Any idea. Put the top 10 on a dartboard and throw a dart and see which one you hit. That's the one you do.

Here's a huge list of them: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/forums/idea-bucket-need-analysis.87/

Execute it with your whole heart. Try to make it happen. Chances are it will.

Then see what you learned, and apply it to the next thing.

It's not an overnight thing.
I understand its not an overnight thing. But ice cream went to making 50k a month. In one month....so clearly there's a specific type of business that's better than others.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I understand its not an overnight thing. But ice cream went to making 50k a month. In one month....so clearly there's a specific type of business that's better than others.

After spending YEARS learning the process, honing his abilities, being frustrated, sweating, crying.

Yes he went to 50k in a month. But it was more like he went to 50k over several years.

It will take 2-3 years for your mindset to change. And the only way it will change is by taking action, failing 90% of the time and succeeding 10% of the time. Then you will learn what you need to learn to make 10k-50k in a month.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
When you get into business and run into a problem, chances are you won't be like, "Oh! I remember reading about this in a book.. I need to do this, this and that..."

Not saying you shouldn't read books, just saying you'll have to learn things along the way anyways. Things that will most likely be unique to you and won't be found in books, school, or stuff you read previously.

There is no perfect business. And there isn't a business idea or plan exempt from failure. Understand that you will fail, but that's just part of the course. Your success depends on how you respond to failure, and whether or not you can adapt to the changes affecting your business.

WoofurrBro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 18, 2014
Latvia
Dude, I have an e-book that could solve your problem, it's 5 bucks, though. I'm sure you could use it, right? ;) *HINT*

ProweJosh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 10, 2014
I just read books alongside starting my business. If I need to write copy for example for my website then I'd buy a copywriting book etc. Just read as you go along and the things you read in the book you can easily apply it as you've just recently read it rather than reading the same book and a few months later you need to re-read the book and try remember things you read.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
how much reading should you do before you actually start a business. Iv been reading for some time now and still feel like I don't know how to start. Before you list me 3 steps to start a business and call me lazy. If read and

heard millionaires say you need to know what not to do otherwise you could fail for decades. Failure isn't always a good thing. Plenty of people fail fail and fail for 10 years. I think we can agree you can't start being

foolish and naive. I've read you should read books for 3 years then start. I've heard other opinions. And it also depends on the kind of business you start as well right.

Seven years ago, I met a dude worth nine figures who told me to go back to school. I was trying to do business with him at the time.

Take what people tell you with a grain of salt. The most important tool you have for success is in your skull.

For the past decade, I literally have paid attention to only a handful of authors. Not necessarily in this order: Ayn Rand, Friedrich Nietzsche, MJ, Robert Greene, Robert J. Ringer, Dr. HAHA Lung.

Out of all these, the ones most specifically applicable to your current and immediate needs are MJ and Robert Ringer. Lung and Greene will help you with strategy and dealing with people. Rand and Nietzsche will teach you philosophy.

Honestly can't think of what else you need. Keep your input low. Study intensely a few authors.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Hey man, I had a similar question ages ago,

I don't think the answer is easy, but don't be too afraid of that terrible monster snowball of failure, cuz you have to learn to dance in the rain, or you'll never know what it means to be strong.

Don't be a fair weather entreprenuer.

On the other hand though, being afraid of launching stuff when you suck is like, being afraid of crashing your car at 5 miles an hour.

No way you can generate any dangerous momentum at suck level.
And when you can generate momentum you won't be as afraid of failure.

Play chess, rather than, try to sling shit from a catapult and hope it hits a haybail in the city.
Chess has about 50 moves, and the first few are really well explored, kings pawn, queens pawn, nimzo, sicilian, english, grob(lol), 4 knights.

The rest is just a haze of one off weird variations.

Just be as solid as you can be and move forwards. Its up to you how fast you play, just go and find a tempo you like..

Btw, I play chess to ease my nerves about biz, helps me feel like I prepared as well as I could, and fight off that voice in my head that I suck.

Last edited:
C

copywriter1980

After spending YEARS learning the process, honing his abilities, being frustrated, sweating, crying.

Yes he went to 50k in a month. But it was more like he went to 50k over several years.

It will take 2-3 years for your mindset to change. And the only way it will change is by taking action, failing 90% of the time and succeeding 10% of the time. Then you will learn what you need to learn to make 10k-50k in a month.

No he said he got the idea and 30 later he was making 50k. Thats what he said in the post.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
No he said he got the idea and 30 later he was making 50k. Thats what he said in the post.

I think you missed the point.

It's everything that happened before the idea that enables someone to do $50k in 30 days.

It's rarely the idea but your ability to execute the idea that matters.

And you only get that ability by getting in the game and getting roughed up a bit :)

As for the original question, "how much reading should you do before you actually start a business", I know a few people who started businesses without ever reading a business book... and I know others who are ten years and tens of thousands of dollars down and are yet to take any significant action. Which end of the spectrum you choose to be on is up to you.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
"Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."
- Albert Einstein

It's ok to read a lot as long as you also take action every single day.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Well that's the thing I don't know what I don't know.

Then focus on what you do know. You know you are looking for an opportunity to change your life, right? Ask yourself these questions:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/are-you-still-looking.53502/

I do know that I'm trying to plan perfectly which is a form of procrastination. I don't have an idea. Ideas are supposedly everywhere but I don't see them.

Building a perfect product or business before putting it on the market would be a problem to avoid. What would you be planning if you don't have an idea? Try training yourself to come up with ideas. Get in a quiet place, sit until you write 10 ideas for a business on a page. Add to this list every day until your list of ideas improve. I find I'm more creative early in the morning before the world wakes up. You will be amazed at how you develop your creativity over time.

I also don't have any money.

I have a treadmill I'm trying to sell. If you have a truck, come pick it up (I'll give it to you) and you sell it. Now you have money. Maybe take that same burden off others trying to sell exercise equipment. Start a small shop selling used exercise equipment. I don't know???? Get creative.

Look, a lot of entrepreneurs are creator personality profiles. Ideas flow easily for creators but most find it necessary to surround themselves with a team that can complete the idea. Other personality profiles may find it difficult to come up with an idea or start something but are excellent at picking something up and running with it. I would suggest taking the time to learn about yourself and tap into your strengths. Wealth Dynamics identifies eight personality profiles of wealth. Take a look at this sample profile: http://www.slideshare.net/rogerjame...mics-report-what-entrepreneur-profile-are-you

I took this profile myself as well as for my son. It added tremendous clarity on our opportunity paths which neither of us are creators. I kept trying to think like a creator profile until I understood my own strength and refocused my strategy for fastlane to match my strengths.

Sounds like you need to take some kind of profile test to better understand why you are struggling the way you are and what may be holding you back. You may be able to do your own research to figure it out yourself. Bottom line is spend time on you and opportunities that mean something to your future, then develop your process to build your wealth.

Best of luck!

mattbau43

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 18, 2014
Machias, Maine
I think that it depends on what type of a person that you are. I, personally over analyze everything. I research every bit. While this can be a very good thing, sometimes I lose some of my "steam" that could have been used to actually do something.
I have known others that just get up and do it without really looking into it. I also know how many times that they have failed....

You are the best judge of yourself. In the end a balance of preparation and experience is what will make you successful.

Now get out there and work! Or don't work yet.....read! Oh hell with it. You figure it out...............

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Reading teaches you 10% of the things you need to know in business. The other 90% comes from taking action.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Look at this way. Would you be asking the question if you didn't have a job, you were starving, and living in a card board box? What if your life depended on it? You wouldn't have three years to read books. You'd be doing and learning as you go. Unless you just are stalling out of fear. Which means push through the fear, thoughts, feelings, and emotions. The longer it takes you, the longer you'll starve and be homeless.

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
469%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
Ideas are supposedly everywhere but I don't see them

Idea finding is a muscle. Write down 10 ideas you have. Doesn't matter how dumb. Do it every day. 90+% of the ideas you come up with will be dumb, but you won't find any winners if you don't try.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I met a guy in his late 40's who has multiple degrees and was still going to college. He convinces himself repetitively that when he strikes out... He just needs another degree.

I think you just need to read three more books.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I'll tell you what, MJ's book was all I needed. The rest came from Google/Youtube when I needed to learn something. ;) You heard it from MJ, don't read whole books. Save the time and money if you can and read off the internet on a problem by problem basis. Maybe books can come in if you know they'll have specific focused value and it's a complex thing. (If it's any help, no other general business books hit me like MJ's, I suggest you read it asap). His building blocks of a great business were all I needed to get going.

Silly as this sounds, you can also do a general search online. For example, since I'm starting an internet business, I googled "how to start an online business" and "how to form an LLC" and stuff like that just to make sure I had everything covered.

A

Angus

Seven years ago, I met a dude worth nine figures who told me to go back to school. I was trying to do business with him at the time.

Take what people tell you with a grain of salt. The most important tool you have for success is in your skull.

For the past decade, I literally have paid attention to only a handful of authors. Not necessarily in this order: Ayn Rand, Friedrich Nietzsche, MJ, Robert Greene, Robert J. Ringer, Dr. HAHA Lung.

Out of all these, the ones most specifically applicable to your current and immediate needs are MJ and Robert Ringer. Lung and Greene will help you with strategy and dealing with people. Rand and Nietzsche will teach you philosophy.

Honestly can't think of what else you need. Keep your input low. Study intensely a few authors.
THIS, THIS, THIS AND THIS AGAIN

too many people confuse self education with binge reading disorder, a dangerous form of feel good procrastination

oh you want to read another book on how millionaires think and on their differences from your average joe? haven't you read 30 books like that already? MJ's book and rich dad/poor dad are not enough?

there are few great books out there that not easy to read (ubermensch's author list is GREAT)
these books (48 laws, 33 strategies, nietzsche & ayn rand works on morality) WILL make you look at the world in a different manner and they WILL change your life if you implement them, granted

these books ain't your typical "The Secrets of The Super Rich Bi-Billionaires When They Use Their Brain Exposed 3rd Edition", you won't read them in 2 days
you won't feel good about yourself because you read 3 books in a week
to even understand the underlying patterns of the 48 laws you'll have to study them for a month minimum

and then take action, most important thing

C

copywriter1980

I'll read those books thank you.

In regards to starting a business its not the paperwork that's holding me back that would be rediculous. Googling how to start a business is not what I'm looking for. Registering a business, doing the paperwork. That's not starting a business. Its the idea, even though ideas don't even matter (you can make money in any business), I'm absolutely terrible with people so hiring people or doing any selling myself wouldn't work especially selling. Its the marketing, how to actually get customers that holds me back.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.