The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you chasing money?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
If i did not want money and fast cars and all that i'd never found this forum. Everybody chases money from the beginning i think if you're coming from a poor background it makes sense you want more.
I chase money for 50% the other 50% is being independant and free.

Once you got the money i think you just do what you want and don't give a F*ck and that is true hapiness for me and being able to provide for you're family and make them happy.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I kinda am on some level, I'm coming to accept it.
After I stop denying its true then I can change it.
But in a way tbh, I don't want to change it.
In some ways I wanna embrace it and say "its not even bad, you are just a fearful gaggle of naysayers", in other ways I know there is no long term goal to achieve in having money, aside from the obvious.

I feel like there is benefit in the struggling itself.
Like YES I NEED MONEY, and YOU CAN'T acting as yin and yang.

images

Yin yang as you know, has an element of its opposite in itself, so really my YES YOU NEED MONEY side has a quiet "you can't", and my YOU CAN'T side has a quiet "yes, you need money"

The trouble is just expression and finding balance.

And I think that no one can find that balance for you but you.
And that is both distressing and empowering, and lays the foundation for a road ahead where you really do have to choose.

The kid in me doesn't wanna choose, the sage in me knows I've already chosen.
I hate my inner sage right now.

Last edited:

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
I think at the beginning everyone is chasing money, and that gives you a reason to get off your a$$ and DO SOMETHING.

Over time you realise their is more to business/life than that, but I'd be lying if I said money still isn't a primary motivator.

Still got to have that hunger.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I do.

I also understand that the right way to do it is by providing value to the world.

I also understand that providing value to the world is its own reward, perhaps greater than the money I seek, not in my current state though. But as circumstances improve, so do personal values.

If you 'chase money' following the 'solve needs' principle, the money you earn becomes a reflection of both your personal growth, and the number of people whose lives your product/service has affected (hopefully positively) along the way. So really, it's a matter of priorities. The reason TMF tells you to 'stop chasing money' is because value comes first.

I don't quite have the balls to follow this vision to really make a dent in the world, it's something i need to fix in my head. Right now I think I'm only good enough for shit like 'selling torches through e-commerce'. (No that's not my niche, 'steal' it if you wish, lol) But I think somewhere, a quiet voice is telling me to dream bigger.

Maybe it's the Billionaire speeches on youtube rubbing off on me.

/DigressModeOff

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Everyone has their own definition of chasing money but for it's someone it's working for the sole purpose of having more money. The money itself is the purpose that you work towards.

If you wanted to become a millionaire because you want put your kid through college. Money is required by it's not the main goal.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
This is something I struggle with. I'm definitely chasing selfish goals, whether it is money / freedom / time etc.

People talk about lot about shifting your focus to unselfish goals, like how you can solve people's problems and the money will come to you, but it's not easy.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
People talk about lot about shifting your focus to unselfish goals, like how you can solve people's problems and the money will come to you, but it's not easy.

Have you ever thought that there is a solution to most things out there? Sometimes when I struggle I get this terrible thought that " everything's been invented". (Even though I know that's not true).

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
"Facebook Ads are all the rage, I'll scrape Google and rip off some courses and launch my own ebook teaching people..."

Thats what I'd call a money chaser. Just looking for the one-off deal, no concern with positioning, or creating any lasting 'brand' in a niche / market....

No concern about becoming a potential leader. Never thinking 5-10-15-20 years down the line.

Perhaps you can think of it as the 'dark side of the opportunist'. I agree with opportunism. But you want to be those 2 brothers who foresaw the impact TV would have on the NBA. Don't be the guy with each finger in a different cup of Kool Aid..pursing small things, small opportunities, fearful never to bet too big on something, terrified of focus and commitment maybe?

I don't know honestly, this is just a brainstorm for me.

James Turchetto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 23, 2013
Of course I am but at the same time you don't make it by wishing it there. You're always providing some form of service to someone else (without judging quality)

@davedev You can already be the brothers who foresaw the impact TV would have, like those going to developing countries and exploiting untapped markets, something I plan on doing in a few years once the internet/smartphone market size has grown on a certain continent to numbers where I can exploit the continent not just a country.

You see a lot of copycat services in different continents that have exploded taking ideas that worked in Europe/North America and bringing them to new countries. Nothing amazing with doing this and yet you can guarantee future billionaires are been made by this simple process. Hell makes me want to move and act on it now.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My opinion?

If you're selling weight loss pills or an eBook for six-pack abs and you're 100 lbs overweight with a stomach that sticks out a foot, you're probably chasing money.
If you have a cracked leathery face that would scare away the scarecrow and you're selling a skin beautification system, you're probably chasing money.
If you're talking about passive income hoping to make passive income by talking about it, you're probably chasing money.
If you're marketing a PDF that shows other people how to market PDF's to make money, you're probably chasing money.
If your company ceases to grow and slowly dies after you stop advertising, you're probably chasing money.
If you're not excited and proud of your product and your creation, you're probably chasing money.

I'm sure Ill add more later.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
There's three reason's I want money.
I want to help others out of their darkness.
The freedom financially and know all this process and hard work ends up in some kind of reward and people can shut up. I've fought to get here through naysayers. I've believed in the impossible, and move through my obstacles. I do what I can in the moment. I believe in a dream. I make it happen every day.
I never have to worry about money again.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe, I was in the past assuming business was about money, and its hard to let go of that idea and admit you were wrong.

Recently I'm scaling up my cash flow to protect others close to me who are in hard times.
I asked them questions about where they were and came to understand their exact issue.
After that I knew I had to stand up and help them.

Its not always easy to give like that if you hold the mentality that you were taken from. Or are arrogant because money came easy.

I had to find more strength in me, because I understood others around me, rather than sheltering myself from the pain of pushing further.
Its one thing to say you want to protect others, a totally different thing to do it.

Last edited:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
That $100 / $50 demonstration MJ does there is pure gold.

People have to look at whatever you offer and see AT LEAST double the value.

It reminds me of Harry Browne's philosophy on sales in the book - The Secret of Selling Anything.

Thanks for linking that vid @Raoul Duke

When I pay $14.00 for a book, I am hoping to receive one tip that's worth the price of the book. By the time I get to the end of the book I want to feel like I stole it for the price I paid for it.

Its one thing to say you want to protect others, a totally different thing to do it.

Very true.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Nope. Money is the thing that people give me in return for what my company does. I chose my industry because I saw an enormous amount of room for improvement.

I postulated that there was room for improvement in
  • customer service
  • communication
  • follow through
Since I started this tiny company I have people begging me to take their money--customers, vendors, investors. Why? Simply because I make sure we do what we say we will do. That, in itself, is such an enormous value that money is around every corner.

I believe it was endeka (sorry can't tag you because I don't know the alt code for cyrillic D) who posted the push vs pull thread.

If you're pulling people in, and using pure salesmanship and copy to get them to buy your product--you're not fulfilling a need. MJ's response to this thread is on track with my intent. Find a market where customers need what you are selling, improve on the shortcomings of others, and this thing called money will be around every turn.

So, no, don't chase money--chase making people happy. Try to do a deal every day that makes your customer happy to hand you their wallet, because the value you return is very much worth the money.

"Value for your dollar, guaranteed" is on the back of my business cards. Corny? Sure. But I mean it.

Robert Hannon

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 29, 2014
I feel money is amoral and your internal dependency on it should not reflect your personality or condemn you to a greedy stereotype. I also think it is healthy to chase money but not make it your primary obligation, because lets face it - the more money you accumulate, the more freedom you will have to live as an individual.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
the more money you accumulate, the more freedom you will have to live as an individual.

Not quite. Sometimes more money can mean less freedom.

I'd say the worst thing would be to achieve massive success in something your heart wasn't into. That's "Fastlane Hell" to me.

EDIT:

I'd say the goal is to be like Warren Buffett, he says he 'tap dances to work'. Sure, easy to do when you're worth BILLIONS (says the cynic), but hey, it's a good model to aspire too. Besides, I betcha he was tap dancing even in his early twenties (and teens...he was reading Ben Graham for quite a while).

You gotta have something to dance about -- that's not a dollar.

You have to find that underlying passion (boundless energy) that unites all the industries you desire create value in.

The entrepreneur Evan Carmichael talks about everyone having "one word" that sums up their whole life...that if you think back to your happiest moments, the moments where you really felt deeply that you were contributing to your fellow man, that word holds the 'key' to unlocking your true potential as an entrepreneur.

The word that unites all. Hmm that sounded hippy as hell.

Last edited:

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
Sometimes when I struggle I get this terrible thought that " everything's been invented"

Don't worry about trying to invent something. Find something that already exists, copy it and make it better. Don't waste your time looking for ideas, pick something and try it out, execution is the important part. For every product or service that already exists there is a potential business you could launch.

Couple this with creating value by asking people "what do you like / dislike about that thing you just bought, how could i make it better?".

Then you're golden.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
This is something I struggle with. I'm definitely chasing selfish goals, whether it is money / freedom / time etc.

I'm ok with having selfish goals. If it helps you achieve your dreams then go for it.

Putting your kids through college, help the needy, etc etc. Those are expected things that you should do. They might not be what makes you strive towards your dream.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Don't worry about trying to invent something. Find something that already exists, copy it and make it better. Don't waste your time looking for ideas, pick something and try it out, execution is the important part. For every product or service that already exists there is a potential business you could launch.

Couple this with creating value by asking people "what do you like / dislike about that thing you just bought, how could i make it better?".

Then you're golden.

Thanks apexstrat!

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
This title immediately makes me think about the movie " the wolf of wall street". lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.