The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally moving to Scottsdale, Arizona!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Howdy partners…
Since moving back to the states from Norway in 2010, our plan all along was to get settled somewhere else than WA state (where we have lived now for 4 years).

Our plan for years was to get back to California, but after hearing the constant praise of Arizona from the likes of MJ and several of my forum friends here, I started thinking more and more that maybe Scottsdale, AZ would be the right place to be after all! :) Then this past February, at B&P, I was really sold. Knowing how many people from the forum here who calls the place home – it just felt right to be closer to my fellow entrepreneurs. And besides – the more I told the wife and kids about the place (and the more they researched it themselves) – the more eager they were to move there too! :)

And now I’m excited to say that we are only 10 days away from making our big move to Scottsdale.
Can’t wait to soak up the sun in our new backyard while I think up new ways to grow my businesses!! :)
gLZw67T.jpg

Thanks a ton to @Red for helping us with the relocation!

So of course I have some questions for y’all too:

Best ______ service?
Instead of Googling this, I prefer asking you guys here.
- What fast/reliable/good ISP service do you recommend in Scottsdale?
- How about cable / phone companies? Same as above, bundled? Or best to keep separate?

Now... who here lives in the general area?
Off the top of my head:
@MJ DeMarco
@Genium
@AllenCrawley
@Red
@biophase
@bensonj
@VinceT
@Catalyst
@SteveO
Did I forget anybody?

Others, like RealOG, JasonR, AndrewNC, and TheTruth are on temporary leaves away from the area but might come back :) Now we just need to talk even more people to going, so we can build a small commune, lol.

Will all the rest of you who live in the general Scottsdale/Phoenix/surrounding areas here please raise your hands? If anyone wants to meet up some time after we get settled in, I’m all for it!

Bonus question - what lesser known fact might pleasantly surprise me about Scottsdale after moving there?
:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I was beginning to think you'd never make the move! Very cool.

I'm not in Scottsdale but I use CenturyLink for internet only. No land line or cable.

Definitely let me know when you're settled in.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Nice, Eskil, I've been thinking about moving down there too, seems like a popular place for entrepreneurs for some reason.

Originally I wanted to move to California, and still do, but Arizona seems really really nice for right now, especially the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Hopefully within the next 6-8 months I'll be there as well.

:)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats! Hope you like heat!

what lesser known fact might pleasantly surprise me about Scottsdale after moving there?

I love the area based on what it doesn't have... graffiti, mosquitoes, litter, and an overzealous police force. Coming from the Chicago suburbs, you'd find a cop on every corner waiting to bust you for speeding. Just look out for the speed cams. :rolleyes:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You are jumping right in to the frying pan! It is like a desert here...

Seriously though, I spent a lot of time outside in the heat. It has helped me to get used to it.

Let us know when you are settled in. We can gather up a group and go to lunch.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I dont want to hijack your thread but what part of arizona would be best to be in the middle of everything for business.

I want to do business on craigslist(slowlane), and, would like to make commutes convenient for buyers and sellers.

I should be there by late next month at the latest.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I currently have direct tv for cable and century link for internet. We are contemplating making a switch back to Cox. The research that I have done does not show a clear winner between the two. They are the biggest players in the valley.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I dont want to hijack your thread but what part of arizona would be best to be in the middle of everything for business.

I'd say central phoenix ... probably around State Rt 51 and Northern Ave. Not a bad area either, near Squaw Peak.

century link

I've done both and both were pretty spot on the same in terms of reliability. Cox had faster speeds. Don't think you will have any internet problems in Scottsdale AZ.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I want to do business on craigslist(slowlane), and, would like to make commutes convenient for buyers and sellers.
The closest spot to the center of mass would put you in a not-so-good location. MJ's suggestion takes you just north of the center and into a good location. You could also look at north Tempe and south Scottsdale near the 101 and 202 intersection. Stay west of 101 and either north or south of 202

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
We all loved Cox when we were out there (lol, no really).

We had 150mbps Cox Cable Internet for $100, it screamed. Only went down maybe once or twice.

We all had cell phones and didn't need TV service, so can't answer there.

From what I was told, we had a surprisingly warm Winter last winter. We turned on our heater twice, once to see if it worked, twice because it got a little chili at night and we tended to keep all of our windows and doors open.

Very, very few bugs where were at, great night life.

Only thing missing is the ocean.

See you October.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Eskil, that backyard looks alot like mine! Cox internet is super fast where I live. I have Directv for cable. I think what will surprise you is how much it's going to rain in August. And when it rains, it really rains!

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Congrats on the move! This forum is also what put Arizona in my mind as a option. Never considered it much. But the more you look into it the more it sounds like a nice spot. Though right now I kind of have my eye more north like Prescott, AZ. Any of you AZ guys have any opinion on that area of the state?

Also for internet I see that Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe are potential cities for Google Fiber expansion. So you will likely get that eventually, how long it takes is another question.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Though right now I kind of have my eye more north like Prescott, AZ
Prescott is a beautiful area. Not too hot, pine tree forests, miles of mountain trails, historic "whiskey row", tons of activities. I moved to Scottsdale because the town was too small for my apartment business. I liked Prescott a lot thought. I am going up there for a softball tournament this weekend.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think what will surprise you is how much it's going to rain in August. And when it rains, it really rains!
Most of our annual rainfall comes from a couple of storms.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I would replace those palms around the pool with a different type of palm or other trees. Those Mexican Fan Palms drop little furry seeds by the thousands in June. They will make a mess and plug up filters. You can just pay to have them trim off the seeds every year but it is a hassle. At minimum, I would take out the small ones that are growing all over the place.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
@Darius and @twdavis - very cool that you're coming to the area as well!

@AllenCrawley and @SteveO - yes we'll have to meet up for sure.

Eskil, that backyard looks alot like mine!
Nice. Looks like we're also just around 5 miles away from where you live. :) We should definitely meet up once you're back from your travels (or maybe you're back already)

I would replace those palms around the pool with a different type of palm or other trees. Those Mexican Fan Palms drop little furry seeds by the thousands in June. They will make a mess and plug up filters. You can just pay to have them trim off the seeds every year but it is a hassle.
Thanks for the tip, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for having palm trees. LOVE palm trees. Even if that meant cleaning filters on a daily basis, they'd be worth it to me, lol...

Oh and I meant to ask a couple more things:
- I'm looking to switch banks too. Any recommendations for a good credit union or bank well suited for business in the area? I would prefer a credit union though.

- Also looking for a good CPA. Personal recommendations are welcome (pm me). Thanks a lot!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
but that's a price I'm willing to pay for having palm trees. LOVE palm trees.

I like palms also. There are other types that are not so messy and have a nicer looking structure to them.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
We're thinking about setting up a small office in Scottsdale, mainly for @TheTruth and I, but we be open to sharing it with some other entrepreneurs in the area.

Ideally, we'd have some extra space and a few desks if some Fastlaners/Entrepreneurs wanted to drop by and hang out for a few days, or something.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
We're thinking about setting up a small office in Scottsdale, mainly for @TheTruth and I, but we be open to sharing it with some other entrepreneurs in the area.

Ideally, we'd have some extra space and a few desks if some Fastlaners/Entrepreneurs wanted to drop by and hang out for a few days, or something.

Jason, Boris:

Do you care where this office is at? Because my office/warehouse is too small and I'm looking to move to a bigger place. But my office is going to be probably closer to N. Scottsdale. If I can get some short commitments for office space, I will lease a much larger building. You guys probably want to be in Old Town though right?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.