The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning to make it on my own

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
I am starting this thread as a motivator to myself. Rather than living in my head or lurking on these forums, I've decided to post here.

Right now I'm pretty scattered. I told myself around December that by July come hell or high water that I would be living in beautiful San Diego, working on business ideas and generally being happy. (I live in NY) I stopped going to college, because I realized that I did not want a soulless job no matter how much they were paying me. Also, I figured mountains of debt would not help me.

I had an idea for an app, but was astounded at the price the developer wanted. Then I thought to take it down a notch, bootstrap and get this 8k together. About 5 months after this realization I have about $2400 saved. Honestly I would probably be able to fund the entire thing with that and some shiny new 0% (for 1 year) credit cards. I don't really know whats stopping me. Maybe I don't have enough faith in the app. I formed an LLC to deal with the app, spoke to developers... and then nothing. I told them I would get back to them when I had the money.

I tried paying $350 for a month long banner ad on a related website that CLAIMED to get 38,000 ad clicks per month. I figured that I should just place the ad on an existing website rather than futz with SEO and all that jazz. I did the math and figured I couldn't lose. I did. I got about 250 clicks on the ad over the course of a month and not a single sale. Lesson learned. Are there any tools I can use to see a website's traffic before I make a decision?

Recently, I quit my job as it simply was not worth the headache (80+ mile commute one way) the gas ate possible savings and the days were beyond long. I had ZERO energy for anything else afterwards. So here I am, no school, no job, no girlfriend, no distractions, no excuses. I've been reading regularly and working out every day. I feel like a new man.

After reading the "bootstrap 2K in a month" thread I started searching for items I could easily flip for a decent profit on craigslist. After a couple hours of searching, I had found the product and a dirt-cheap supplier. The deal was kind of sketchy, but it worked out in the end.

Now I'm sitting on $500 worth of product that should net me about $800. Now if only I got some bids on eBay. I know this model is not scalable but it is repeatable and a learning experience so we'll see.

I am also learning about SEO and thinking of getting a copy of Ca$hvertising to help me re-sell these products.

As far as California is concerned, I feel like it will put me in a better 'sink or swim' mindset. I'm willing to go 'all-in' live in my car, and go to the library all day if that's what it takes.

I guess I am posting this to tell you my tale and get some feedback on my process and actions now that I actually have some.

-Charles aka "Fastlane Fire"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
Sold my first product for $63 profit! Not much but it's a start. You have to learn how to make $1 before you make $1 million. Side note: apparently you can't ship things in boxes with alcohol labels on them. Flat rate boxes from now on. haha
Watching more SEO videos today and another chapter of Ca$hvertising.

Last edited:

Jackal0

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 17, 2014
Good luck with your journey!
It sounds that you are really want to go all in, this seperates you from a lot of other people.

And for your first sale, it may be not that much, but you took action, and that it what counts! :)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Now, key step..... do not begin to rely on this one item / one supplier. Go back and read Jack's thread and the old threads from Biophase about supplier issues. You have to take back the item of Control with multiple suppliers and begin setting up alternate streams of revenue (even if in the same style product line and delivery method). Multiple crops in multiple fields.

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
It's funny I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to look into other profitable products to flip. I kind of lucked out with this guy as he is pretty professional and has a decent supply. Otherwise, I'd be stuck doing research and taking gambles buying every item on Craigslist. Which would not make it worth my time... Is there a website/community where I can buy in somewhat large quantities (like a pallet) at wholesale prices? Do I need a license for this?

Edit: Right now I cant even move anymore than I'm moving because I am not an established seller on eBay. Would it be a bad idea to stockpile? I'm running out of credit here and need cash by the end of the month. Can I sell elsewhere?

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
Just bought 3 domains for an SEO project I think will be huge. Sold one more unit and ordered 2 more from my supplier!

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
Sold another unit for $80 profit. Only 2 left. I've made all the money back that I originally spent and then some. I need to focus on this SEO project though...

jrace4fun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 17, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
Right now I cant even move anymore than I'm moving because I am not an established seller on eBay.
You need to get to 50 on eBay. I suggest you buy a bunch of stuff you are already going to buy at the store like toothpaste, deodorant, toilet paper, etc. This will get you to the magic number of 50. Make sure that you give good feed back on all of those purchases too.

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
Could you please put a link to this thread? I've been unable to find it.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-2k-dollars-in-a-month-with-craigslist.49605/

Lately, I've been a little lost and directionless. I realized I have a lot of 'lulls' in my day and I was wasting my time on Facebook or reading entrepreneurship blogs. But some positivity has come of it. I stumbled across a website called boldanddetermined.com and found a program called '30 Days of Discipline' It really helped me get my shit together. I have a lot of what I call 'time mind association' where I think certain times are for certain activities. For me it is simply impossible to wake up at 5am and dick around on the internet, so it's helped me get a lot more done. Deleting your Facebook account and waking up early makes it seem like there is so much time in the day. I'm usually done with all my obligations by 12 noon. I highly recommend it to anyone who feels lost day to day.

Edit: I also built a PC for a friend for about $150, took me about 5 hours for assembly and set up. Basically I've just been hustling... no real fastlane plan yet, but I'm learning a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
What a journey! On the 26th we had our first fastlane meetup in NYC spearheaded by @Paul Gallo It was really nice being surrounded by like-minded people. Everyone there was very smart and I feel I can learn a lot from them. We shared a lot of valuable information. We also set up accountability partners, which really helps me stay motivated.

I have been setting and meeting goals lately like a mad man. I sold an extra car I had within 3 days of setting the goal (it was a weekly goal) I got slammed by eBay because my inventory wasn't from an "authorized reseller" I made a new account and sold off my remaining stock in a day. I dont think I'll be going down that path any further. At least not with eBay. After voicing a couple of old ideas to the fastlane group, I was given great advice on how to proceed from @Yury Byalik . This really reignited my drive and I spent all day today perfecting a landing page for my app idea. Yesterday I wrote some copy to pitch my idea in some forums in the same niche, but I'm trying not to sound too sales-y. After messing with my hosting to get the landing page up, I realized that SEO site I had been working on got 300 hits last month! Should I try to monetize it soon? I think it's worth further pursuit. I also began writing an eBook on a subject i'm pretty well versed in. I can't express my gratitude enough to the people in this forum and MJ for creating it. I am slowly but surely learning what this 'process' thing is all about, and it is amazing!

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
Well it's July and I'm proud to be writing this from San Diego, California. I packed up the essentials in my car and drove 3000 miles over 7 days. Goal met.
My focus has been off of entrepreneurship for the past couple months as I prepared for this move. Now that I am here, I am struggling to find an apartment in my price range that isn't in the slums. But I feel good. I feel in control of my life to a much greater degree. I cant wait to get settled and get started. If anyone could help me find a place, I'd greatly appreciate it. If anyone is looking to meet up in the SD area, send me a message and we'll get together. But it must be mutually beneficial.

Either way, I'm going to get settled and get back to learning. Ideally earning money some other way than a job. Back to the grind.

-Fastlane Fire aka Charles

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Well it's July and I'm proud to be writing this from San Diego, California. I packed up the essentials in my car and drove 3000 miles over 7 days. Goal met.
My focus has been off of entrepreneurship for the past couple months as I prepared for this move. Now that I am here, I am struggling to find an apartment in my price range that isn't in the slums. But I feel good. I feel in control of my life to a much greater degree. I cant wait to get settled and get started. If anyone could help me find a place, I'd greatly appreciate it. If anyone is looking to meet up in the SD area, send me a message and we'll get together. But it must be mutually beneficial.

Either way, I'm going to get settled and get back to learning. Ideally earning money some other way than a job. Back to the grind.

-Fastlane Fire aka Charles

I want to do this too, like I want to make the leap NOW, not later, but I have no source of income yet, as the importing venture I was dipping into folded. So now I'm moving onto my next idea, a supplement to sell on Amazon. But I've just been hustling to support my bills since I quit my job a couple months ago.

I'm trying to figure out a way, with no income, to make the leap to Scottsdale Arizona.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.