The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Process Thread: Learn Copywriting

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 10th, 2014)

First two pages of The Gun Range done! Stopped on the third page, 8th paragraph (two paragraphs from the end! "THIRD...").

Tomorrow

July 11th, 2014: Complete pages 3 and 4 of The Gun Range.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 11th, 2014)

Finished pages 3 and 4 of The Gun Range! (Stopped on the fifth page -- Special Programming)

Tomorrow

July 12th, 2014: Complete pages 5 and 6 of The Gun Range.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 15th, 2014)

Completed the "front" page of his website: pwhgarrard.com

Up next: New Marketing. [2]

And since it's 5 pages, I'll split it up and do the first two pages tomorrow, July 16th, 2014. Then, finish up and do the last 3 pages on Thursday, July 17th, 2014.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 16th, 2014)

First two pages of New Marketing done!

Tomorrow

July 17th, 2014: Finish the "ad" up by writing the last 3 pages.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 17th, 2014)

Finished up New Marketing!

Thoughts

I don't know if I'm going to work on this tomorrow. I should move on to the next "ad," but don't want to. Car broke down today and we were stuck on the highway for about seven hours, so I'm kinda not feelin' it right now. Gotta go get my uncle + the "car" and get it fixed (or towed) tomorrow morning. So I'll see how things play out before I make any definitive plans. But I'll definitely return to this Saturday morning when everything should calm down.

Tomorrow

July 18th, 2014: ??

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 18th, 2014)

Got started on About Us. Stopped at the second paragraph under Richard Berman. Will finish it tomorrow.

Tomorrow

Finish the About Us page.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 19th, 2014)

Finished the About Us page today. [3]

Thoughts

Tomorrow, I'll move on to 1115 New Marketing. And since it's 5 pages, I'll give myself two days to complete it: 2 pages tomorrow and the remaining 3 pages for Monday (July 21st, 2014).

Tomorrow

July 20th, 2014: Write out by hand the first two pages of 1115 New Marketing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So when you started, how would you rate your proficiency? On a scale of 1 to 10?

And now?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So when you started, how would you rate your proficiency? On a scale of 1 to 10?

And now?

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012

And now?
0 before. Knew nothing about selling, advertising, marketing.

Today: ... Eh, I give myself a 5. My mindset has changed so much for the positive, but I don't actually have anything experience with writing a sales letter. So, 10 for the mindset, 0 on execution equals "5," so 5.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Curious, it's been 5 months since you started this challenge... other than copying other salesletters have you written anything yourself?
Sorta. I'm working on a press release for someone.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Sorta. I'm working on a press release for someone.

Dude.

5 months.

Write a salesletter.

You don't know how much you don't know until you sit down and try to write one :)

And the more you read and study from different sources the more confusing it becomes.

Put the books aside. Pick one copywriting mentor. Preferably one whose style you resonate with. Model their style and write your own salesletter "as if" you were them.

Give yourself a 24 hour deadline to get the first draft done. Post it here and we can give you feedback.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 27rd, 2014)

Two sentences complete.

Thoughts

I really need to get on top of things because I've drifted so far off course. It's been a struggle every day to write these articles because I threw my schedule off. I said "yes" to a whole bunch of activities, I should've never said yes to and now I'm just all over the place. I've lost focus, I'm distracted, and I'm getting up late (too late to write in the mornings).

I've made a mess of things.

I need to... No! I will get back on top of things by culling my list. I will get back into waking up early enough to do my copywriting first thing in the morning. That way I can have it done before my day even begins. And also I'm going to regain my focus and attention by eliminating many of the distractions in my life.

Tomorrow

July 28th, 2014: Complete Stock Marketing.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Today's Progress (July 29th, 2014)

Completed Stock Surge! [9]

Up next: Recover Stock Value. [10]

Tomorrow

Complete Recover Stock Value. [10]

Thoughts

I finally feel ready to start "aiming" i.e. planning out the rest of this challenge (or at least the rest of this stage of the challenge: hand write the following 12 copywriters...), so that's just what I'm going to do! Beginning tomorrow, I'll begin figuring out what I'll need to do to finish this challenge within the next year or two and go from there: continue writing the ads, having fun, and enjoying life.

Let's go.

Ready --> Aim --> Fire!

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Taking on the Gary Halbert challenge to learn copywriting in 30 days.
---
Ready --> Fire --> Aim!

Beginning tomorrow, I'll begin figuring out what I'll need to do to finish this challenge within the next year or two and go from there.
---
Ready --> Aim --> Fire!

I can't help but notice how far you've veered off course from your original vision :)

Why are you learning copywriting... what's the end goal?

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
I can't help but notice how far you've veered off course from your original vision :)

Why are you learning copywriting... what's the end goal?
I actually still believe in ready --> fire --> aim. I'm just finally getting around to the "aiming" part of this phase.

Anyway, the end goal is to use my knowledge of copywriting to sell my own products. I'm going to pick a few products and sell them on my own site plus Amazon.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
Hey man, great progress! I hope you didn´t stop.

If you´re overwhelmed with this massive scale of the material, maybe you want to adjust your approch like I did.

I am reading the books at the moment and if I think about writing ALL of the ads (and you´re reading the books/material of them too), then it looks kinda like a 2 year+ journey. It´s okay, I think, if you want to be a professional copywriter. But I want to be an Entrepreneur, you know^^

So after reading the books, and writing up the 9 ads, I won´t gather up the stuff of the other copywriters. That´s too much. I will go back to the books and take notes and make the 3x5 cards.

After that the challenge is finished and you aquired a new skill. Then you can read the other stuff and write out the ads as a "daily practice"-approach if you like.

I like it a lot more that way, so there are no interruptions like searching for ads, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.