The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
I'm up to 7 Steps to Freedom now :)

Can I get an invite to the shared dropbox folder? Thanks!

You can pm me ur email for the link

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Due to hijacking another thread I decided to create my own thread.

This thread is for every one who is interested on taking Gary Halbert 30 day challenge to be a world class copywriter. The intention is to follow gary halberts way to the letter without deviation, and, to keep each other motivated. If you are in on this holla out in the thread to let me know you are here. Just say, "I'm in" :)

Feel free check in periodically to ask questions, participate, motivate and, make others accountable including myself.

If you dont know already, we are starting from Gary's premise that anyone can be a good copywriter in 30 days.Read Link Below:
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm

Here are the newsletter back issues and boron letters that you will need that is spoken of in above link.
http://www.trafficplusconversion.com/1345/gary-halbert-letter/

Here are the ads that gary halbert mentions that you will need from first link.
http://theryanmcgrath.com/2010/04/gary-halberts-favorite-ads/

NOTE: When you buy TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS by John Caples buy the 4th edition or earlier.
NOTE: When you buy 7 Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez buy the 1st edition (if you can find it)
NOTE: When you buy The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier DO NOT buy KINDLE VERSION(its crap). You can buy the authentic 1937 version of the book from the heirs of Robert Collier: http://www.robertcollierpublications.com/page/by-robert-collier#letters
Disclaimer: I haven't purchased from their site I cant give you any purchase feedback.

Anyway, Lets try to do this as if he was over our shoulder. In case you dont know who Gary Halbert was, he was universally recognized as a legend in the world of copywriting. Gary died in 2007 RIP.

P.S. Do you mind if I call us "The Unofficial Disciples Of The Gary Halbert Way" , (TUDOG< for short :) )? Lets keep the torch lit!!!

UPDATE: A late addition: I am not sure if it should be a part of this challenge so I am going to leave it OPTIONAL at your discretion. Here is Boron Letters 2.0 written by Gary's son. I dont have all the details, but, you are free to take a look at the link below.
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/1FOTGHLFramesetBoron20.html

Great links. Did copying the boron letters by hand really make a difference in your learning curve?

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm going to put this on hold for now. I'm definitely still going to be working on my copywriting skill though, it's a top priority of mine. Just not with Gary's method right now.

Too much chaos right now ... accelerated summer college class, plenty of my own personal studying/application, cancer/family members, etc.

I'm just not able to focus on too many things right now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Focus is key to being successful. ;)

I am very very busy as well, especially as my tasks (mostly kid care) can't be done all at one time. I feel like each time I start getting focused, a kid comes to me for something, and it takes me 20 minutes to get my focus back. ;)

Since I'm STILL reading the books, my goal is simply to make it through 2 chapters or so a day. Once I'm done reading them the first time around, I'll figure something out so that I can be very deliberate and focused with creating copy, copying copy, reading with notes, etc.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
it takes me 20 minutes to get my focus back.

Constant interruption is a big focus killer! That's definitely one of my problems. Major kudos to you for doing the work even with having to take care of a child!

I'll try to start again next month then. I got a few other things to work on right now. There's something I plan to share with the forum next month as well :D

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
Hey, I was reading through the Boron Letters again yesterday and noticed the date of Gary's first letter...

12th June 2014 is the 30 year anniversary of that first letter in the book!

ie. that's today/yesterday (depending on your time zone)

thought it was worth a mention :)

Cheers

P.S. this week was also the 30 year anniversary of Ghostbusters hitting the movie screens too. That's 2 for 2 on 30yr anniversaries for things that have made the biggest impacts on my life! haha

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Guys, maybe 1 importat point. DO NOT SPEED-READ through it. We arereading copy boks here, every word matters.

Qestion for people who are done copying ads and are now takin notes, any advice or suggestion on what is the best way to do it?

I'm writing my notes up on to Anki flashcards. Means I can flick through the notes on my phone anywhere in the world. I'll share them on here once I get a few books done

Gitrokr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
I started doing something very similar 7 or 8 months ago. I had taken some of Eugene Schwartz's ads and began copying them by hand. I think I got through mmmayyybbbeee 3 in a week before I forgot about it.

I'm up to the challenge and will see the reading and copying through until finished! Just finished Scientific Advertising- here I go!

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Done reading (well everything except newsletters, finising the now), now writing the ads.

1. Does anybody have other ads, not just the 9 "required", but some additional ads?

2. I did not copy "Stock and Bond" add completly, it is like a freaking Trading 101.

3. Now I see where all these "Guru" got their info from. MJ is really special, his info is really unique

MakeItCount

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
May 18, 2014
I'm starting the challenge today. Can anyone send me the "7 steps to freedom" pdf ? either version would be great. Thanks

leonbenj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 11, 2013
Montreal, Can
Nice man. I just ordered most of the books through Amazon. Not that expensive and they will most likely be gems for you in the long run

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gitrokr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
2 down, 7 more to go.
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom
Currently reading The Lazy Man's Way To Riches and finishing The Robert Collier Letter Book.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I started copying some more ads by some other masters that Gary didn't include. I just finished writing this one out by hand http://infomarketingblog.com/images/IndustrialAdvertising.jpg

The ad was written by Ogilvy & Mather, it was basically an ad for themselves that ran in The Wall Street Journal but it's chockfull o' copywriting gems that were covered in books from this challenge. I thought it was a cool little one page refresher.

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Guys and girls, what did you do at this point:

Next, I want you to create a hand-drawn layout of each ad and direct mail package. Listen: The goal here is to get you to create a professional package (completely "comped up") that is all ready to go first to a typist and then to a typesetter.

Now, after you've done all this, I want you to actually take one of these packages to a typist and then to a typesetter and have the ad or direct mail package typeset. Then proof the ad and, after making any necessary corrections, have a velox (stat) made of it.

Hand drawn layout, ok... What about the part in bold? Should I just do it in PDF? This challenge was written in 1987, no more typesetters/typists and velox...

MasterT27

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 16, 2014
Just wondering for you guys taking the challenge. How much time per day do you think it requires to get it done in 30 days? Count me in on this. I am just starting right now and I might try to attempt it in 30 days

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Just wondering for you guys taking the challenge. How much time per day do you think it requires to get it done in 30 days? Count me in on this. I am just starting right now and I might try to attempt it in 30 days
the entire challenge would probably take many hours a day i say many because i have no idea
Im not even trying to get it done in 30 days i am just doing an hour a day atm reading the books

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I'm pretty sure to do this in a month you'd have to do it near full-time. At the very least multiple hours a day. It's a lot of work, especially if you're a slower reader.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
Here is my 2¢ after having read about 7 books on copywriting, and hand written god only knows how many ads.

I don't think the challenge can be done in 30 days...unless you speed read. Especially if you go out your way to find extra ads to copy by hand, like Gary recommends.

It seems like such a waste to speed read it anyway. There is a GOLDMINE of information crammed into these books, so why rush through it and risk missing some of the good stuff? I think that if you're going to do learn to do something, you might as well do it right from the beginning.

So relax. Take your time with it. Really get into the material so you can internalize the principles of good copywriting.

And alongside the challenge, try to find people you can write for. Even if you don't get paid... Or at least try writing something for yourself as a practice exercise. Start working on your skills and portfolio NOW. You don't need to wait until you have finished the challenge. That's just an excuse not to get started...

We learn best by doing, so don't forget to take action!!

C

copywriter1980

After you complete the challenge and can write decent copy. What do you guys plan on doing after to actually make money with copy? Freelancing? Selling your own products online?

MasterT27

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 16, 2014
Sounds good. Wasn't there talk of a dropbox with files available? If so, I would really much so like to have access. I am 2 books down right now. I am going to attempt it in 30 days nonetheless, but we will see how far this takes me.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
@MasterT27 PM me your email address and I'll add you to mine.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
Last edited by a moderator:

MasterT27

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 16, 2014
My address is thierry.vaillancourt@gmail.com

I'm not sure how to PM on here. As for the guy wondering what he could do with copywriting once he has learned it. Well, I didn't know anything about copywriting before starting this challenge, and now that I have 2 books down and starting a third, what I would say is to not worry about it. I'm already starting to have a ton of ideas on how to use it and my guess is that once you have the skillset, you can pretty much use it for almost anything.

Including potentially buying stuff on craigslist and flipping twice for the price. Or just pretty much anything you want. Seems like a skillset that looks like a near must to have.

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
I'm a bit behind on this challenge but I'm gona start it too. I didn't know what copy writing was before this forum... Shows how much you can learn.

Already read the Boron letters by chance (which was an ace read) so I'm looking forward to starting from the top of Gary's challenge.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Is there any recommended order to do it in?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.