The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Subdomains??? Looking for a domain expert

needchaser

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jan 7, 2012
USA
I've found myself in a unique predicament. I purchased a website, let's call it xyz.com for example. Once I got all the login info for the magento panel and the Cpanel, I realized that the site has a bunch of subdomains attached to it (1.xyz.com, 2.xyz.com, etc.) that are all unrelated websites. If I transfer the main domain that I purchased (xyz.com) to a different registrar and web hosting service, will all the subdomains still feed off my main domain and use up bandwidth? Will the subdomains stop working?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Coriolis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Jan 17, 2014
France
If you transfer only the domain to a different registrar and web hosting service, you do not transfer any configuration (no emails, no ftp accounts, no sub-domains). You'll have to reconfigure everything. Be sure to backup !

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
This isn't a domain expert you need, just someone tech savvy. And the answer to your question is the subdomains will stop working once you transfer to your own host. In order for you to continue using the subdomains, you need to set them up with your host and move over the files/database.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
If you want to benefit from any historic SEO value from those sub domains, make sure to record each one down, and then once you've setup the domain on your own hosting, set a 301 redirect from those subdomains to point to the main domain.

In answer to your main question though: Will the subdomains stop working? The answer is yes (unless you setup the subdomains on your hosting).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.