The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The breath before the plunge

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I've just been sitting around, tappin the desk, thinking.

Few of us ever see the fight behind the fighter.
[video=youtube;g-jwWYX7Jlo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-jwWYX7Jlo[/video]

And even fewer of us remember, that this fight takes everything.

Its been a tough haul, but I feel I'm through it, so now its time to launch some things :)
Goal: Reach 100 000 people

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
For having walked this path before, I know one thing better than anyone can tell me.

That failure is always a possibility? That's why you persevere forward and make adjustments as you go. That's called learning from your mistakes..
Maybe becoming a poet is a profession more suited for you, you do a lot of contemplating.

Subtlety isn't a common thing, people charge forth "ahead, ahead, ahead!" they cry, blind but ever faithful to the blind man ahead of them.

*sighs*

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I'm about to launch some stuff and I'm just preparing and getting things straight.
I originally posted a poem, but now I figure that this ain't the place, and that I'll respect that.

Not much will be goin on in this thread, just a few bits and pieces as I get prepared for launching.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe becoming a poet is a profession more suited for you, you do a lot of contemplating.

Hey man, don't make presumptions about what someone should do, its a cheap thing to do, and what for? A forum meme?

Anyone in the real world, doing biz that you tell to do something other than the profession they are pursuing are NOT going to take such a comment lightly. Don't be a dumbass, you are a smarter guy than that, don't be a forum cheapshot, the worlds full of those worthless comments and we don't need more.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone in the real world, doing biz that you tell to do something other than the profession they are pursuing are NOT going to take such a comment lightly. Don't be a dumbass, you are a smarter guy than that, don't be a forum cheapshot, the worlds full of those worthless comments and we don't need more.

You are absolutely right, I was out of line for that comment though I did not mean in a condescending manner. I sincerely hope the best for you in your venture.

D

DeletedUser394

What is this garbage?

You wrote a whole bunch of crap, then got your feelings hurt (grow thicker skin).. so you deleted it all, and to cap it off you repost more crap.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
What is this garbage?

You wrote a whole bunch of crap, then got your feelings hurt (grow thicker skin).. so you deleted it all, and to cap it off you repost more crap.

No offence. But grow up. I've seen you give shit to perfectly fine people. Growing "thicker skin" doesn't come into the equation when someone is being ignorant to the learning curves of others.

Fyi, that isn't how it went down.
What went down was
- Wrote what was on my mind colorfully
- Went off and thought about what was on my mind, and overcame it
- Came back and removed what I personally felt was unnecessary
- Saw that two people were confused with what I posted
- Didn't give a shit/then did what I wanted

Stop blaming people because YOU are too lazy to be a decent person.
Spurting out that stuff is garbage in a persons GOAL thread, is hypocritical bullshit.

D

DeletedUser394

You've edited your reply to me 4 times in the last couple of minutes. **EDIT: Make that 5 times** lol!

Glad you care that much.

Fyi I had no clue this was posted in the goals section because up until three minutes ago when you edited your first post for the third time, that's when you decided to add in your 'goal'.

In any case, you won't last here.

Kids, don't do drugs, you may end up like op.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
You are absolutely right, I was out of line for that comment though I did not mean in a condescending manner. I sincerely hope the best for you in your venture.

Better to have integrity than belong bro.

You seem to be distancing yourself from the people you are talking to. Treating them like they are "somewhere else", this behaviour won't help you. Always speak to people like they are strong individuals that just may have benefit. Don't close up, and try to hustle your way into people's circles that don't respect individuals. Groups that can't take new information, and adapt, don't go places. Be careful aligning yourself with behaviour that picks on minorities. Those people FAIL.

There is nothing enlightened involved in giving people shit, like they aren't a real person.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
You've edited your reply to me 4 times in the last couple of minutes. **EDIT: Make that 5 times** lol!

Glad you care that much.

Fyi I had no clue this was posted in the goals section because up until three minutes ago when you edited your first post for the third time, that's when you decided to add in your 'goal'.

In any case, you won't last here.

Kids, don't do drugs, you may end up like op.

Mate, no offence but I don't need your prophetic abilities to tell me something that is entirely based upon my decisions.
You act like this FORUM, is success, but snide comments on a forum don't mean shit, when it comes to anything in life.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
So what's your plan

The hard line, thought out, process for reaching your goal?

Z

Thanks man,
The hardline is, I have 50 000 ish ready and at my fingertips (set in stone), and a good intro and some samples of my work will do nicely in regards to getting those guys involved. And I can probably talk my way into a few different hubs to push myself over the 100 000 mark.

I'm deciding currently on what channels I want to go with that will be best for the brand image.
I want the brand to appear as though its savvy, but not sellout, or restricting its distribution.
I created the 100 000 number, because I need to push my comfort zone, from the 50 k I have.

I've gotta find the holes in my distribution and manage some ways to make each channel work for me.
Hopefully with a bit of charm and tact, I can flush out that plan.

If I can reach 200 000, or even more, I'd be quite huge and looking at being one of the major guys out there. I'm unsure that it would be positive for the brand to come out that dramatically though, so I am off and on about the ideal starting distribution number and placements.

I want enough to create a buzz, but I want it small enough to have mystery.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
"I should mention one sort of initial tactic that usually doesn't work: the Big Launch. I occasionally meet founders who seem to believe startups are projectiles rather than powered aircraft, and that they'll make it big if and only if they're launched with sufficient initial velocity. They want to launch simultaneously in 8 different publications, with embargoes. And on a tuesday, of course, since they read somewhere that's the optimum day to launch something.

It's easy to see how little launches matter. Think of some successful startups. How many of their launches do you remember? All you need from a launch is some initial core of users. How well you're doing a few months later will depend more on how happy you made those users than how many there were of them. [10]" paul graham

Aight, new plan, its not about launch, its about "hook". I'll introduce new groups every month with different strategies, and I'll develop five products for a line, and then I'll release the line as the memorable image. This will allow me to launch it right.

I was putting too much stock into the launch, when what I needed to realise that it is a steady process that I want to ease into, and take a snap shot at the right time.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ok, I've taken the breath (which was mostly a dose of reality interestingly enough)

My goal isn't 100 000 anymore it is to GO THROUGH 100 000 within the first few months of launch.
I will have 4 more products releasing, which will help the fresh impact of each new marketting push.
I don't know my end aim regarding how much saturation I want in the market segment (but am figuring that out now).

Maybe I'm after about 500 000 or a million potential customers reached. Though realistically 250 000 would not be a bad result.
The next phase of the plan will be about converting them.

The five product launch is mostly to get the right positioning, and so really I've realised that this is a positioning goal, that seems dependant on marketting and good execution.
I seem to have a good chance to do it, but I'm going to check through it now.

Also, I'm summarising my 50 page biz strategies into a few pages (I now realise that is all it needs), and making room for planning beyond the first launch. So I'm going to spend five pages or so on each launch. Then hopefully dial that back to a few pages and key points.
Which is a lot of work... But whatever, it'll look nice when done. :thumbsup:

Edit:
I am looking for a minimalistic viable number of people to get it to.
I want enthusiastic segments, and enough to get it about, also, I'm scouting for the best suited affiliates. Looking through all possible variations might take a while to analyse, but I can do it.

So I'm aiming to layout the minimums. Probably will store it in a column graph and find a pattern, and order via traits.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Anyone remember the story of the three little pigs?
Cuz that is how this all went.

"It is amazing how many different things you need to do to just make one change." - Jack Edwards

First I had a marketting house made of straw, people didn't know my product and didn't care, my marketting was weak and my conversions worse. It was the the equivalent of setting up show and standing around shy.
Me, the Big bad wolf comes and blows it down, cuz its not working.

Second, I had a marketting house made of sticks, people kind of had an idea of what my product was and were kind of intruiged, but my conversion rate was horrible and my marketting did nothing more than flatter the customer. It was equivalent to pampering people but then people leaving because it was not really a business.
Big bad wolf comes and blows it down, because it was not working and sapping time.

Third, I got some bricks, and I scoured the land for more bricks, until I realised I could make them out of clay. I sculpted the bricks at first, then cut that BS out, and lined up a grid and cut out a wall of them at a time. I created a house with it.
Big bad wolf comes and burns himself when coming down the chimney, because there is no one to blamer but myself if what I have in my hot little hands does not work now.

I'm feeling pressure to perform and execute and am trying to get myself totally unstuck from wish washy half plans that have no aim. I have mostly set up all the structures and formulas necessary for me to pivot at full speed and act in the moment to change things, but I seem to be getting slowed down by how many adjustments everything is taking just to change a few things.

My lesson over the past months with the above plan, was that, a PIG can be a tough pig, but he still needs a great foundation to keep the big bad wolf at bay. If you can't get solid detail on what to do, you at least need solid actions, and if you don't have solid actions you at least need efficiency in your processes so you can see actions when they pop up.
I spent way too much time getting to actions, but now have designed most of what I need for solid details to be in place (just a bit uncertain on my own role, and am constantly working on that).

Well mostly my biggest obstacle was myself, so I had to work on that.
But at the same time I worked on the product, and not small changes like "oh the label doesn't look right!", nope, I created a formula for pumping out products that were of my highest possible quality by sectioning out each component and analysing each components use. I learnt to structure and analyse each part and test how they perform with different groups.

I also learnt about marketting, and studied some complimentary fields so that I would no longer be ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about it. I started noting down how to make sales convert, and what the keys were for my business to perform well. I kept my thoughts about "do they like my product" OUT OF IT! Lost the ego, and decided that this was about establishing a proper business, so I actually hacked all my products to pieces and brainstormed about how it could be reorganised and fit the business plan.

There is still a lot of work to do.

Product is not yet streamlined.
The marketting plan still has to be tested.
The brand message is still a bit in flux.
The pricing structure is being analysed.

I am trying to judge a launch date, but tbh, I dunno if I really can estimate it. I mean, I have to make contact with all affiliates (and what a mixed bag that is), and I can't do that until I have a pricing structure, and I can't do that until I've cleared up exactly what products I'm going to headline. Its all chicken and the egg stuff trying to guestimate the time frame inwhich I can launch, so I try to guess the date at which I will be up and running, and that really depends on me stopping dragging a$$. And to stop dragging a$$ I need to get the bigger visions sorted out and less fuzzy. Its a process.

My aim has changed, I will be targetting more people than previously (as only a few affiliates violates control imo, so I will be going through a dozen or more rather than only a few), so I have an ungodly amount of work to do.
But on the positive side, barrier to entry was solved, need was better defined, control was rethought, scale is a constant thought, and time is being worked on and has already been vastly improved.

All in all it is light years ahead of where it was.
All I had before was a vague business, some product and a few connections, I was dumb to think that anywhere NEAR approximated me being able to launch anything.
Now, the biz structure is getting strong, and a REALISTIC launch is on the books as soon as I have DETAILS on my hands regarding marketting, traffic, conversions, and have the products ready to launch.

Thats going to take me a little while because I'm STILL a bit too wobbly on my projections.
So still a few months away from anything spectacular.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
This thread shows how TOTALLY disjointed my initial plan was.
Screw it, thats ok, because everything in here has undergone a major rehaul.

Let me just say first that my diligence on a distribution and marketting plan sucked, and since my initial post have decided against my main marketting plan being in the hands of affiliates.
I decided to take full control and chuck any silver platter deals out into the garbage.
My experience is starting to suggest that there are bigger deals I can make with those people if I can actually get a lot of the traffic churn happening more efficiently by myself.
"Always top down, never bottom up" as Vig put it so eloquently in Iamthejeffs post.
I am now looking at marketting more directly to possible consumers in three ways, internal marketting (done inside all the established routes), outside the box (done direct to market segments outside of established routes), and larger scale (targetting niches, other players that can pump my name out there in numerous ways, sponsorship deals etc and other creative ways of intertwining and getting what is there to work for me).

My mindset also sucked. "Breath before the plunge", you don't just take breaths to be comfortable, you drive into the uncomfortable and make it work.
Excessive wasteful thought processes have been totally scrapped and I follow a no nonsense approach to thinking about the business and goals. If I can't DEFINE the idea, I consider it very low value, unless I believe that with a series of steps I can get it there.
So my process mentally has gone through changes and I'm much tougher and spontaneous as a result. All the "reach 100 000 people" talk is out the window, its nonsense because if I trusted it, I would have done it, I no longer fluff talk, its just a massive waste of space.

I've been slowed on the creative front recently, and have taken to learning some graphic design (was already half decent at wireframes and concepting). This hasn't affected the other sides of business and creative but helped enhance it, and what I am looking to do may get quite design intensive so I'm quite glad that is just "naturally" slotting into place.
I design for function, wireframe, concept, and keep it efficient, so mostly its drafts, and I may get in a designer with "the right eye" to "look over and do up" the work for a reduced fee to get it to production quality.
So, against my reservations (reservations about learning any design being helpful for the fundamentals) I've actually sculpted it to be beneficial during a slower period with the rest of the business.
I will be doing the same concept work for the code, or split tasks into a) concept guys b) execution guys, due to noticing the huge increase in control when you split the two up, and I believe I can reduce costs and get higher quality this way.

I have the major templates done for products, and have formulas and proceedures set out for scaling the services.

I'm still perplexed by a few things, but I know that with more gumption, I'll get it up to an actual standard that I believe anyone could be happy with.
I really struggle defining the route I wanna take with the products and services, but in the mean time I'm decently busy creating good improvements exacting the need and delivery, so I feel good.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The hard line, thought out, process for reaching your goal?

I have been in revision hell. To get OUT of that I started clarifying what the audience needs to get the message and have been drilling product to make sure there is no BS or weird stuff that is rediculous and not sellable at scale.

Been trying to group, and set up a standard way of expressing the benefits, and once I can get people to agree on what is actually coming THROUGH, then I will have product that will scale, and I'll try to carve that down into a Mvp.

I've drilled needs down to bare bones, and am now at a stage where I am looking at addressing those needs in a way that POPs.

So once its desirable, carved into a mvp, and the audience is getting the message CLEARLY, I'll launch some marketting and guage response, and refine some channels.
I will pull the customers into a list by marketting a pre-sale.

To do that, I need clear ideas on the creative side, so I can set deadlines and meet them without delays. And to do that I have to have a few bare bones plans connected regarding the site etc, so I can execute on at least something for the launch (so I need to get the preparations sorted).

I'm a bit of a perfectionist though, so I'll be going through a lot more diligence to make sure everything is where it can be.
I will be focusing on a marketting plan that comes into the fold in the best way I can, so I'm gonna scrap most of the plans I've had so far and get a bit creative (less traditional and conservative).

Gotta get a little crazy I think.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Starting today with a fresh view.
Did a lot of talking with customers (few hours) and did some tweaks on sales processes (found it is best to keep open loops to pace the close, that way it works best for everyone).
The discussions I had suggest that I can actually do what I am setting out to do, which makes today a unique day (the day I have confirmed all the hard work, at least conceptually).

That really gave me 4 strict definitions, for talking about benefits, that will help my marketting plans be consistent.
But further more I now have a way to pace the sales, so that incoming purchases don't bottleneck nearly as much, which means I have far better outlook for scaling the service end of things. (it also made certain software totally redundant, which makes me think that most software can be made redundant with good process, much like most code can be made redundant with good code engineering)

All in all, its a good day, and am going to look over some concepts, and do some creative.
Regarding code, I think my priorities are now to clearly define its roles, and make it adhere to a strict criteria. I believe that this direction will really tighten up the coding side of the biz.

Design and code have really tightened up in the past week, its been quite a sight to behold. Product is still a bit a-wash, but the new ways to define the benefits has given me some direction.

Edit: Later in the day and I developed some killer marketting strategies, will keep them tight lipped for now.
Design, code, conversion and marketting all seem in reach... I just really got to think this all through so that I can develop the managerial side and get myself focused on scale rather than be bogged down in revisions and diligence.

Product, structure, and finalisations (including some technical know how going forward). Are what I need to get to a standard I'm comfy going ahead with.
I'll also need to streamline this to be as CENTS as possible too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Did up a product and services model today that I am happy with. And created a marketting structure. This allows me to get all the finances done inside out and get a robust model set up.

Finalisations and a managerial system is what is needed now :bookworm::writing:
As well as some extra creative work.

My plan right now is to go exploring to find extra amazing ideas where ever I can find them and bring them in while I go through diligence on everything I can with a fine tooth comb.
Gotta bottle that enthusiasm, and get down to work...

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Validating the market space is next on the list.
I originally validated the market space on an idea that was more "in range" of peoples expectations, but now rnd being completed and having relatively finalised products and structures, I'm going to do a second round of due diligence to determine that the business strategy is sound and if there are any obvious changes to be made.
With this I'll be doing financial validation too, going through all that set up again, because intitial concept numbers are always shakey, and can't be relied on as real figures when in the mix (what if it takes 5 times the expences in a certain area due to complications etc).

So basically I'm going through an auditing process, checks, validations, and getting all that bold work done that establishes the thorough professionalism of the biz (the stuff most startups DON'T do because they overlook it or can't be bothered suring the business).

After this is done I expect to have a full process streamlined, and agile.
Services will need a LOT of testing and kicking into shape, product teams too...
But I think I've got this.

I'll be doing a CENTS audit too.
I mean off the top of my head
Need - I'll need to identify competing solutions (already did that of course but I mean going through what can come up etc) I'll need to make sure there isn't an easier way to make that wheel, or for cheaper, and I'll need to make sure its relatively stable.
Entry - This isn't just about entry now, but into the future, and what unfolds whilst the company is engaged in one side of things and then gets beaten to other sides of things before its ready.
Control - Gotta go through banking, taxation, legal, audit any marketting avenues, make sure I have authority in place to get through to what I need when I need, suring lines of communication so I can quickly get my hands on what may save the business in times of unexpected change.
Scale - Will be going through whatever diligence I can and check out if there are stats I need to have at my finger tips
Time - Things should float, and keeping that in mind, I wanna make sure that my future contributions are highly specialised, and that I allocate all the mental resources effectively and without waste. That'll mean systems, proceedures, go to plans, so that I don't have to have my hand in all pots at all times (thats terrible business anyhow)

I expect the business to ace that side of things, and be very very clear and unpoluted with cr#p.
I dunno what is next, but I got my hands full with all that for the moment.

Edit: A sweaty handful of hours later, got a lot of it done :hurting:
Funny how sometimes, great work creates a LOT more work you have to do :bored:.
Got a lot more diligence lined up, but at least its not a beehive so it can be reasonably set aside and done. Will get to that when my batteries recharge, for now its food, drink and silliness time. Got some other work in the morning though to pay the bills though, so will be keeping that in mind, maybe send a few mails etc.

Beh whatever :smoking:

Last edited by a moderator:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Last night - Financial drafts/scetches/mock ups (its really quite complex so its gonna take more work)
Today - All ended up with me having done up a draft for the company story (its terrific and I can already tell that people will love it)

A company promise isn't necessarily what they obligate themselves to, it can be a display of their character that SHOWS promise. People love forward thinking like that.

I also made product a lot more cohesive (dayum it is looking so good it hurts)
If you test regularly enough it sets great foundations for knowing what impact product will have

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Three years ago, I didn't know what business really was.
I decided I would learn, and at first was confused about what money was, where resistance was coming from, and why I just simply couldn't create the content of business integrity I needed to create a real business.
I've worked hard, and now am thorough enough to get TO THE BOTTOM of things.
I've found a level of voice, and come from what was shakey, disjointed, and premature, to something that resembles a great business attiude.

How do I feel about it?
I feel a bit tired, a bit annoyed, and a bit like "I expected to do better" but I also feel firm and on goal, not ashamed, and clear.

The benefits outweigh the costs even in some really annoying situations. So stick with it.
I'm about to take the plunge, and I wish everyone all the best on their quest to do the same.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
MVP is built!
:woot::wideyed::greedy:

What is funny is, I don't think 100k was as clueless of a goal as it seemed, I just needed my product mvp done up, so I could sell.
And now I'm a stones throw away from hitting the market.

Pre-launch preparations begin tommorrow!

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I feel a little distressed, ironically I feel this way because I have a viable path ahead of me, because being aware of what it will take has lumped a big weight onto my shoulders. :hurting:
I won't drown though. So:hurray::wacky::woot: full steam ahead!

I have realised that my fear of launching was really a misunderstanding of how to properly launch and what launching REALLY requires.
Launching is actually not this stressful obligation that will haunt you forever if you get it wrong, its actually just ONE step in many, and all those steps require determination and skillful application of knowledge. Stressing, kicking, and screaming will not make a dent on anything, it is robust suggestions, continually seeking fresh perspective (and testing), and having reliable moves that will push you ahead that will do anything, and having a good chemistry with what you are doing will help you so long as it doesn't make you arrogant or otherwise stupid and lazy about process.

Yes, we need to continuously push the envelope, but I have come to see that it is not the terrifying thing I once thought it was.

NO ONE can do this process for you, and no one can handhold you through that rough spot, because it is you alone who can determine if the effort is worth while to you and you alone who can not only launch but be ok with a heavy weight on your back and a thousand more steps.

I've realised now why it is so expensive to create businesses, because there is no magic wand, you really do have to grind forwards a thousand more steps.

Despite all that, I'm feeling very satisfied, because I feel REALISTIC and ON GOAL and able to track progress and keep myself honest, and that is a definate green light for me that tells me "you got this... even if its rough, you've got this".

Ironically, this understanding has helped me with financial projections and budgets for marketting, sales, etc. I quantify my time and effort, and segment the resources incoming from turnover, and combine this realistically with target markets, opportunities, etc and have started scetching out maps and ideas of how to use the capital to leverage the business process at the rate my effort and time can assist that growth rate.
If the growth rate goes higher and faster than what I can do, I need guys who really can grind on certain sides of the business to get it out faster etc.

So all of a sudden, my business SEEMS to have magically found costs I was in fairy land about before, and if I'm honest it is both startling and reassuring (reassuring because I feel it is more grounded, and not flippant). There are certain responsibilities that go along with that side of planning, so I'll have to dig into that soon.

TESTING is now a huuuuuuuge priority of mine, but NOT for concept!!! Testing for EXECUTION!
That one differentiation is HUGE, because it means you can test PROCESS, you can test STAFF, you can test FINANCIAL DISTRIBUTION. That stuff has NOT been tested before.
Sales processes, customer management, arrangement of how things are set up. All of that can be tested.

I expect to launch only once I can answer KEY questions about the market response and have EXACT answers, where in the past I might have feared that I would use those questions to delay launch now I understand that they will drive me towards it.

I'm not sure what the questions are, but they seem to be things like
- What is the reaction for the first two weeks of the service and consequent behaviour (right now customers get a high then dilly dabble)
- What customers will we reach instantly, who will adopt later and WHY
- How will views change as our plans unfold, what bjections, discomforts and emotions will our client base back into
- How many markets can we penetrate EFFECTIVELY and what is the result of varying strategies, and who jumps first, who champions and who steps on it

There is a constant roll of questions going through my head right now, trying to percieve deep into the first few weeks of launch, into the first months and vaguely ahead into the year.
There are going to be unknowns, surprises, you name it... So it is key to face up to it now so it can be processed and lead to growth.

I need strength going forwards, not stress. And the key is to address things clearly and without pointlessness or evasion. So this week might include some conditioning as I toughen up this ship, and kick it into line.

I feel good :embarrased:

Last edited:

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Holy shit, bro. I never saw this thread. It's awesome that you're finally getting things REALLY moving after all the self doubt and tribulations earlier in this journey. Godspeed! It seems like you're just a couple steps away from heading forward for real!

Hope things get moving soon, I really want to see where this goes with all the planning and re-planning, process changes and reevaluation you've put yourself through.

RichKid said "you won't last long here" in a post from the beginning, and you're still around. It would be awesome if your business has a successful launch. That would be a nice cake topper, don't you think?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Tbh Jeff,

I'm not looking forward to launch in that way, because it is who I become, that will tell me when I am capable of being responsible. And I am hammering away at that at full speed!!! I'm going fast cuz I decided, its about TIME, I just BECOME the guy I need to be.

Yeah I was off track, but had the guts to pull myself back on track.

Business is not all glory and lalala, but business has its own merit. And like a fine wine you come to appreciate it, AND everyone's input.

I'm glad that this thread can help you see some commonalities, and see some progress in the face of uncertainty and my own flaws (that is the point of progress threads is it not?) because I'm not ashamed of coming from some stupideness and neither should anyone else be. It is a testament to people's ingenuity that they can, and do, get better. Its a PROCESS.

Even when launch is successful I'll still be learning.
Just validate yourself off your own process, happiness, and sense of things.
It only ever gets better if you apply yourself.

Eventually you start to put together all the clues ;)
I'm still rough around the edges, but I believe that if I really push myself, I can be a gem of an entrepenuer, that can be the steam engine behind a GREAT product and service.

Today:
Did a few service features and tested them (yes making money on them)
And I nailled down how to really get that working. The customer was really satisfied and I didn't over deliver or over spend, so it was smooth as could be hoped for.

I'll be getting to other work a bit later.
Later:
Wasn't a big day, too much chaos, but made a bit of cash and at the very end I created an umbrella idea for all services and products, so its all compact and automatic.
I only have to master time on the logistics side now :/
Weird day.

Last edited:

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
That just inspired some interesting thoughts on my end. Making me realize something I've been trying to grasp for a long while. The "Fastlane" formula vs. Time.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Yesterday I was all like :confused: "wtf?", and today I'm all :joyful:

The BIG thing I did today was this storyboard which identified weaknesses and strengths of strategies in the form of a story. Its more useful than saying "we have x benefit" because, who really cares what you think? Right?

I'm having fun :eek::p:hilarious:

Reprocussions:
The last two posts were wish washy, but I am pulling myself back on track!

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The past two days have been weird, first day I was all :confused:
Then I was :joyful: the next day
And today I am centering myself :watching:

Its a weird microcosm of my journey actually, just repeated in three consecutive days (so strange).
I realise I have so many flaws, and that I can't just talk about it, I just gotta :writing: get to it.

I do want to put down some progress though.
I guess the biggest thing for me recently is market analysis, from an execution perspective.
See... When you wanna see if a market has a need, that is reasonably straight forward (so long as you do due diligence and get to the bottom of it) but when it comes to execution of the idea IN a market, thats a different evaluation.

So this analysis of execution, is basically diligence on distributing strategies, messages, functionality, feedback.
I think its easy to get far too caught up in product and need, and forsake executional analysis, and it really makes everything suffer from downsyndrome (one chromosome too short or too many, I can't remember which, no offence to the condition its just what I feel is analagous off the top of my head).

Overly focusing on product can (not will, because you need to do it) make the company seem selfish and bizarre. Not that I necessary feel that is the case with what I have done, but it is certainly something I am looking for as I analyse.

:pompus: so, with my best analysis get up, I'm splitting hairs.
Because an unquestioned proposition, is a naive proposition.

Concurrently, I am also handling the "size" mindset (cue yoda to the left)
I put it there to remind myself to CAAAALM down, and to remember that just a LITTLE bit of goodness goes a LONG LONG LONG way. The calmer, the better leverage you use, and to have more calm the better analysis you should be employing.
And get the ice cream is just about how there is a bigger purpose to this than lifting stones, and me trying to remember that.

I do feel a little like the picture when trying to concentrate.

On another note, I lifted my first "stone" last week. It is not BIG, its small, but it took tremendous skill and made me feel a bit free. It involved making some savings from my cash flow (being in profit, even though I do no more than a 4 hour work week for that cashflow).
The fact I'm making SAVINGS off less than 4 hours a week, is just... :wideyed:
Its remarkeable.

It is a small stone, but I feel that when I expand it to scale with the company, that the profit culture I'll have will be tremendously sustainable if I can transfer my understandings from small to large. As I expand to scale, I hope to expand the company lifestyle with it, and the most sustainable way to do that is taking that small principle and accenting its scale.

Size matters not. Just ground myself, center, and focus. And relaaaaax, because seriously, its just business so I shouldn't have as much ice in my viens as I have (people have been really sh#tty, and my mind had been really fogged over, but it is all an illusion kinda).

I am not guessing when I say this biz will succeed, I actually and legitimately know it is going to, which I suppose brings me calm (no longer have a guess strategy).
I may have been distracted and intense previously, but, fortunately I now am semi sufficient at allieviating that stress and focusing solely on progress (not totally unstressed but getting there).

Maybe I'll have some wine or something, and chill with my notebook overlooking the beach view today. :smoking:

This journey ... wow... so so rough. Respect goes out to you all.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Protip:
Peoples negatives stop mattering as you get stuff done, only slow people worry. If you are getting stuck on individual statements etc, you are going too slow (going too slow is caused by poor due diligence, good due diligence is fast and lightweight which allows you to do it at large scale really fast).

Also, when cashflow is healthy, you only have to manage it rather than micromanage it, so getting into a sweet groove will allow you to really take pressures off, and from there you can focus on scaling it.

Recently:
I have good flow, and with the flow comes an ability to push and focus all that energy onto one thing to get it done and not just financially, but energy levels too.

Actions:
I'm trying to perfect my connection to the audience, and whilst that has taken some notebook/plans/diligence/stats work, it has mostly consisted of some soul searching.
What I've found, has been invaluable because good concept means nothing if no one gets it, and that connection has to be instant to really optimise the sale.

Page count on my business and product plans is now nearing 500 (from condensed, concept, stats and research) which all condenses down further into about 5 pages, so its at a ratio of 100:1, and there are about 20 ideas each page, which condences down into a few things I have to execute on, so its at about 1000:1 quite literally.

Take all that chaos, and make it into something you can touch, that delights people.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.