The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life Of A Tech Entrepreneur: Making A $150k Startup In 2 Months, $2k In A Week, And Much More

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ueki94

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 10, 2013
Sorry to be off subject a bit but Ive been wanting to start a mobile app/web app for quite some time. I've drawn it out using microsoft visio because its the best i could get my hands on to have something visual to show. My question is whats a good place to look for programmers in your area who want to start a business? I've looked into companies but its too expensive and would require constant updates which means more money. My last option is going to the local university and asking the professor for students they can think of or posting a flyer in the computer science building. I really want to get this started but I don't know how to code and would much rather split the idea 50/50 with someone who does and is willing to start a company.

You're nailing it by looking for them in your local universities.
Look for any friends who study there and ask them to help you out, by talking directly to other students who are into entrepreneurship or by posting on facebook.

In case this doesn't work look for people online, the best forums for this are:

->www.reddit.com/r/startups
(huge reddit forum 100% dedicated to startups).

->www.bodybuilding.com/misc
(one of the biggest forums in the internet, not related to startups but you will find all kinds of people there).

->www.thefastlaneforum.com
(fastlane forum is smaller than the first two, but it has a lot of people who are in the same path as you).

Being friends with your co-founder is important, so finding someone near you is prefered, but you can always find someone online and meet them in person during development.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
How do you plan to filter out nudity? I have always felt like the right approach to filtering out nudity would have been huge for the ongoing success of ChatRoulette but they never were able to get that issue solved, and I think that was ultimately their demise

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
When development was finished, our strategy was to cause as much controversy as possible.
This was done through emailing big feminist blogs about how this new app could raise violence against women, emailing PUA websites on how this new app could be used to have a preview of the personality of the girls they wanted to meet, men's rights blogs on how we were contributing for gender neutrality between men and women, and of course, creating bodybuilding.com threads about how we were going to make the forum appear everywhere, especially on the news, if they helped us spread the word (I find they are very attracted to fame and power).

On the first 2 days, we had emailed 150 app review websites, about 50 blogs and 1k users who signed up on our landing page during our development.

hahahaha love the trolling here.

Loving your attitude in this forum so far. Keep it up.

Did you get any feminist hate mail?

ueki94

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 10, 2013
How do you plan to filter out nudity? I have always felt like the right approach to filtering out nudity would have been huge for the ongoing success of ChatRoulette but they never were able to get that issue solved, and I think that was ultimately their demise

We think we have found the best way to filter it out, unfortunatly the launch has been delayed and I can't tell you our plan now.
We recieved an oportunity to join another project, they already have a bigger valuation and VC's waiting for the product to get on board.

Even though our equity is lower, the valuation is already high and the risk is much lower.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
This has a lot of great information. I'm glad you posted here because you answer a lot of questions that most would not ask on the misc.

I have a cofounder and we found a developer that we brought on as a technical cofounder and he put in a month of work but then he dropped out so we lost our time and work.

We're now trying to source other local developers. We even have contacts with some business guys that have outsourced apps overseas and the price isn't bad considering they used an entire team. The issue we face is that because our app is dynamic we will need many updates and changes so we'd like to minimize the cost as much as possible. Outsourcing can still have high costs with updates.

So we feel that local developers would be more ideal. The question is how to go about this and find someone who is willing to jump into a startup mentality and accept very minimal compensation early on. I saw you said local university but with the semester ending now it will be hard to get in there.

Grateful for your help.

Last edited:

ueki94

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 10, 2013
This has a lot of great information. I'm glad you posted here because you answer a lot of questions that most would not ask on the misc.

I have a cofounder and we found a developer that we brought on as a technical cofounder and he put in a month of work but then he dropped out so we lost our time and work.

We're now trying to source other local developers. We even have contacts with some business guys that have outsourced apps overseas and the price isn't bad considering they used an entire team. The issue we face is that because our app is dynamic we will need many updates and changes so we'd like to minimize the cost as much as possible. Outsourcing can still have high costs with updates.

So we feel that local developers would be more ideal. The question is how to go about this and find someone who is willing to jump into a startup mentality and accept very minimal compensation early on. I saw you said local university but with the semester ending now it will be hard to get in there.

Grateful for your help.

First of all, entrepreneurship is not for everyone.
This is something I found early on, and by working with more and more people, you will develop a skill to identify who has the mindset to go out and do it.

Something I do is try to categorize everyone I meet, they always fall under 3 different categories:
-Someone who is doing everything to succeed in entrepreneurship. (These are the ones are the ones you co-found with, you have to identify the ones who have the mindset to succeed (most will still not achieve anything in life).

-Someone who is doing everything to succeed in another area in life. (These are the people you should hire first, many times they have the same goals as you and are very skilled, but they lack the leadership or the mindset).

-Someone who isn't standing out. (These are the people who have no goals in life, you should avoid them as they tend to achieve nothing).

At the end of the day, no one is right 100% of the time, so it's normal that you end up with bad co-founders early on.
The goal shouldn't be to avoid failure, the goal should be to keep growing your network so you can find the best co-founders as soon as possible, even if that means having people in the team who end up giving up.

As you said, having no technical co-founder is a big mystake, and you should avoid it.

Other ways to find co-founders outside of college is in conferences, you should try meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/

Look for meetups near your area and try to find someone you would like to work with.

If you end up not finding anyone, internet is also an option, create threads on the forums I posted on the previous thread, you will find much more people but it will also be much harder to identify who is worthy of your time.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
First of all, entrepreneurship is not for everyone.
This is something I found early on, and by working with more and more people, you will develop a skill to identify who has the mindset to go out and do it.

Something I do is try to categorize everyone I meet, they always fall under 3 different categories:
-Someone who is doing everything to succeed in entrepreneurship. (These are the ones are the ones you co-found with, you have to identify the ones who have the mindset to succeed (most will still not achieve anything in life).

-Someone who is doing everything to succeed in another area in life. (These are the people you should hire first, many times they have the same goals as you and are very skilled, but they lack the leadership or the mindset).

-Someone who isn't standing out. (These are the people who have no goals in life, you should avoid them as they tend to achieve nothing).

At the end of the day, no one is right 100% of the time, so it's normal that you end up with bad co-founders early on.
The goal shouldn't be to avoid failure, the goal should be to keep growing your network so you can find the best co-founders as soon as possible, even if that means having people in the team who end up giving up.

As you said, having no technical co-founder is a big mystake, and you should avoid it.

Other ways to find co-founders outside of college is in conferences, you should try meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/

Look for meetups near your area and try to find someone you would like to work with.

If you end up not finding anyone, internet is also an option, create threads on the forums I posted on the previous thread, you will find much more people but it will also be much harder to identify who is worthy of your time.

Everything makes perfect sense. It's something my cofounder and I have agreed upon for a long time which is why we work well together and are in it for the long haul. And like you said, finding a technical co-founder who also has that same mindset is key, which is the issue we're having. Our biggest focus has actually been meetups even more so than colleges, but like you said we need to grow our network as much as possible so every medium is going to help. Thank you for your help.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Cool thread, keep up the updates!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.