The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The worst product ever.

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Ok, here's the scoop. I was hoping my prototype would be here by now, but it's not. Gotta keep the ball rolling!

What I've been working on is a bluetooth wireless leash for electronics (iPhones, smartphones, GoPro cameras, any personal electronic that has bluetooth capability). Yes, there are other devices out there that you can use your phone to search with (Zomm - it goes off at 30' and you need a smartphone to program it), but this design and application is slightly different.

I live in a ski town that has an online classified section that has people looking for lost iPhones and GoPro cameras almost daily.
People are constantly loosing phones at the bar and cameras at the ski hill. It's still in the rough prototype stages, but the device links up over bluetooth with your phone/camera/etc... If you accidentally leave your phone on the table, or crash snowboarding and your camera falls off the device will flash/vibrate and sound an alarm to let you know that the device is 10' out of range. It doesn't tell you exactly where the lost item is, but you will know it's relatively close.

The retail price will be around $30-35 for the unit. I was asking what people usually carry with them (outside of your phone) so that I can determine what medium to build the unit into. Check out thread: What do you always carry on yourself? I was thinking maybe a bracelet (done up stylishly), a key fob of sorts, a "credit card" design that could fit into your wallet/purse or some kind of wrist strap that could go over snow gloves.

It's a spin on what's already out there, but tweaked slightly so it can be used for more applications. Once the unit arrives, I'll post some videos of how it works with phones and cameras.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Robbypz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 25, 2013
Kansas City
I don't know much about what is already out there, but could this be used in a reverse role? Let's say if it was on a dog collar or a bracelet for a small child where it would alert you that they were out of range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Corcoran

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 11, 2014
British Columbia, Canada
I like the bracelet idea. Maybe even get a watch, something like the G-shock? I'm putting my self in consumers shoes now. And I can't see myself buying one of these. I snowboard and downhill mountain bike and I've never we worried about losing my phone to the point of wanting to buy a product to track it. I'm far more worried about losing my keys or wallet since those get lost more frequently. Also when snowboarding you had a jacket and other gear in so it would need to vibrate very hard or go outside of your jacket so you could see a bright flash.

Just my two cents! Feel free to tell me off.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The problem with these devices is that they need to be on all the time, and they need to be paired too. The problem with these IMO is that they sound off so much when you are at home. You put your keys on the table and walk to the bathroom and the alarm goes off because it goes out of range. Eventually they alarm so much that you don't use them. Then after you are out of range a while, they don't re-pair when you walk back into range.

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
I like the bracelet idea. Maybe even get a watch, something like the G-shock? I'm putting my self in consumers shoes now. And I can't see myself buying one of these. I snowboard and downhill mountain bike and I've never we worried about losing my phone to the point of wanting to buy a product to track it. I'm far more worried about losing my keys or wallet since those get lost more frequently. Also when snowboarding you had a jacket and other gear in so it would need to vibrate very hard or go outside of your jacket so you could see a bright flash.

Just my two cents! Feel free to tell me off.

Yeah, it would also have a loud alarm. I was thinking some "tab thing" that could be stuck to helmet. I'll be honest, I don't know it I'd use it either but I see people constantly trying to find phones/cameras/etc...

https://www.facebook.com/TheLostGoPro - and there's a website too.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
my samsung note3 phone has something like that for the built in digital pen. It's worked a couple different times now to keep from leaving the pen behind somewhere.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
There was something similar to this on a Shark Tank episode. But it was for your keys and linked to cell phone I believe. Possibly last season or before.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.