The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Name AMA

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Which SEO forum would you recommend

You can try blackhatworld, warriorforum, dnforum, namepros, seoforums.org, seochat.com, Google SEO forum or domain name forum as well as domain name marketplace....the more places you list, the more eyes are on it and the better chance you have of selling it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I have goog1e.net if you're interested

Unfortunately being a lawyer I try to stay away from trademarked domain names...i've also had a UDRP filed against me in the past ...but I won :)

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
You can try blackhatworld, warriorforum, dnforum, namepros, seoforums.org, seochat.com, Google SEO forum or domain name forum as well as domain name marketplace....the more places you list, the more eyes are on it and the better chance you have of selling it.

BHW and Warrior forum require a seller account fee, did you sell domains there?. I don't mind paying the fee so long as I can get some sales.

Flippa hasn't worked so well for me given that my asking price is low $xx $xxx and I still have to pay the listing fee whether I sell or not. I don't mind paying a larger % with no listing fee and so far only GD auctions has worked (moderately) in that regard.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
BHW and Warrior forum require a seller account fee, did you sell domains there?. I don't mind paying the fee so long as I can get some sales.
Flippa hasn't worked so well for me given that my asking price is low $xx $xxx and I still have to pay the listing fee whether I sell or not. I don't mind paying a larger % with no listing fee and so far only GD auctions has worked (moderately) in that regard.

I don't normally sell domains based on SEO value. I sell good high quality domains through various avenues, including contacting end users.

ari_ari

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 6, 2014

Chad - it depends on the quality of those domains but at those prices you're gonna have a hard time really moving them these days. have you tried SEDO? BuyDomains? DomainNameSales?

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Chad - it depends on the quality of those domains but at those prices you're gonna have a hard time really moving them these days. have you tried SEDO? BuyDomains? DomainNameSales?

Are you saying that the price is too low for them to move? I'm afraid I didn't get that.

I haven't tried Sedo yet although I'm going to try it next.

Writer7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Nov 29, 2013
Yury,

First of all, thank you on interesting AMA.

1. Bought an ebook about domain selling several months ago so I have a clue about the whole process. Is it true, from your experience, that if you register a new domain (GoDaddy, ...,etc. for $x) based on keyword search (which is, if you do not develop it, the main measurable value of the domain as I understand - not talking about perceived value which could be much higher), with 100-200 potential buyers (doctors, lawyers, etc) it could be sold in days for $xxx? If you register 10 such domains how many do you expect to sell in the next 3 moths (I understand there is not an absolute answer, just asking for your opinion)?

2. I am located outside US so sales phone calls are not an option for me. Do you contact potential buyers via phone or email? What is response rate from your experience?

3. Who do you target, for instance, in a small company - CEO or some other person? Are they usually aware of the value of the domain or you explain the potential value of the domain for their business in a sales letter - email message? I assume you make every email personalized to be sure not to end up in a spam mail box?

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Can you give us a list of the best resources for learning about domaining- which websites, blogs, forums, and ebooks would you recommend for beginners?

bgalakazam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 16, 2014
South Carolina
Is it true, from your experience, that if you register a new domain (GoDaddy, ...,etc. for $x) based on keyword search (which is, if you do not develop it, the main measurable value of the domain as I understand - not talking about perceived value which could be much higher), with 100-200 potential buyers (doctors, lawyers, etc) it could be sold in days for $xxx? If you register 10 such domains how many do you expect to sell in the next 3 moths (I understand there is not an absolute answer, just asking for your opinion)?
?
Let me just say I work for a domain name registrar in my slowlane job. It doesn't take 100s of searches. While I work for an ethical registrar, companies like GoDaddy and others will register domain names even after just 1 search in the availability field. It costs them peanuts and they can bloat the price as they like.

One other thing to watch out for -- whois "privacy". By law, there is no such thing for most popular extensions (.com .net .info .org). The only way for the information to be fully hidden if you are not the legal owner. And once you are not, you can be charge atrocious fees to restore a domain, when in fact you have 30 days late renewal and another 30 for restore (for .com .net .info .org examples).

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
I've got a name for a business I want to use. Im located in Australia, however, a large portion of my customers are in the US.

The .COM of this domain name is used by a Chinese website and currently parked. I emailed them 4 times over 3 months ago. No response.

Should I scrap my domain name and secure a .COM or would a .COM.AU still be viable for international sales?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I've got a name for a business I want to use. Im located in Australia, however, a large portion of my customers are in the US.
The .COM of this domain name is used by a Chinese website and currently parked. I emailed them 4 times over 3 months ago. No response.
Should I scrap my domain name and secure a .COM or would a .COM.AU still be viable for international sales?

If most of your customers are in the US, and you are working on US SEO, I would recommend finding and using a .com domain

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Did you notice that GoDaddy started limiting the amount of $0.99 domains a customer can get to ONE?

I used to be able to buy a domain name for a little over $1 for the first year. They raised the barrier of entry guys! Haha.

Seriously, it does kind of suck...

Question: .com vs .co What are your thoughts on that? I've of course read / heard about this before, but I'm curious about your thoughts. For example, if the .com of a domain I want is already taken and has been registered for a long time, should I re-think the domain name or would getting the .co be worth it? Thank you!

How much should I spend to buy Google.com?

$12... http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/13/man-...or-1-minute-gets-reward-gives-to-charity.html

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Question: .com vs .co What are your thoughts on that? I've of course read / heard about this before, but I'm curious about your thoughts. For example, if the .com of a domain I want is already taken and has been registered for a long time, should I re-think the domain name or would getting the .co be worth it? Thank you!

There have been some nice .co sales but overall it's not worth much. You can go to dnjournal.com and look at previous sales. Maybe if you have a great domain hack or amazing one word .co, then you can get a few grand for it. If you're looking to invest in domains, stick to .com

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
What would you say is better between these two options from a branding perspective?

ExampleExampleWoman.com

or

ExampleExampleWomen.com

Of course, the difference between the bolded words is one is singular and another is plural. Note: "ExampleExample" are just filler words. The focus is on the difference between the bolded words. Thank you!

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
What would you say is better between these two options from a branding perspective?

ExampleExampleWoman.com

or

ExampleExampleWomen.com
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Of course, the difference between the bolded words is one is singular and another is plural. Note: "ExampleExample" are just filler words. The focus is on the difference between the bolded words. Thank you!

Sorry it really depends on the exact domain. Can't answer that without knowing the actual domain.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Good luck with your investing! We all (those involved with domaining) wish we were savvy and/or a little bit older(as I was a teen, in the late 1990s), when most of the best domains could be regged for reg-fee.

Last edited:

Andrew Ward

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 29, 2015
Birmingham, UK
If you are unsure then buy both if they are available. You can point more than one domain to a website And swap the default one used later if you need to this way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Could you please help me out with this scenario? Because I've only bought domain names straight from registrars so far...

So I reached out to the owner of a domain name that I'm interested in purchasing with an offer, and he has accepted it.

What would be the best next steps in transferring ownership?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
It depends where it's registered. If it's registered with namecheap then all they have to do is open an account with namecheap and you can do the transfer through them. I imagine it's similar with godaddy (shudder) but I haven't used them for over 10 years (and never will again). I did a very quick google search and all the registrars have their transfer policies on the first page results. It's very simple.

ari_ari

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 6, 2014
Could you please help me out with this scenario? Because I've only bought domain names straight from registrars so far...

So I reached out to the owner of a domain name that I'm interested in purchasing with an offer, and he has accepted it.

Depends on the value of the domain, our standard process goes like this:
  1. Get a digitally signed (use DocuSign, HelloSign, whatever) bill of sale/purchase agreement.
  2. Set up a transaction on Escrow.com
  3. Once transaction is set up, wire money to Escrow.
  4. Escrow confirms.
  5. Start domain transfer process - other party provides you with auth code and unlocks the domain.
  6. Go to registrar of choice and begin the transfer process.
  7. Once domain is in your account, let Escrow.com know.

Some notes:
1. Occasionally people want to push between accounts within a Registrar (e.g. GoDaddy). I try and avoid this whenever possible because the seller can come back and claim seller's remorse more easily if it's in the same registrar from before.
2. Many people feel fine with just paypaling or not using Escrow. This is a risk thing and is entirely your choice, dependent on amount, etc.

This process has served me and many others I know well for lots of transactions with many many high values.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.