The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Concerned about handling Amazon sales tax if I do FBA

Taxes and regulation

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Hey everyone, I am finally (after a few manufacturing delays) ready to launch my first e-commerce product. It is a custom formulation supplement and I was planning to start selling solely on Amazon, then move to an e-commerce platform. I signed up for my sellers account today and am working on creating the listing, but I am concerned with all of the sales tax requirements if I decide to do FBA. I am registered to pay sales tax in my home state of NJ, but the thought of keeping up with sales tax in a bunch of other states depending on where Amazon has me send the product is a bit daunting. How have those of you selling on Amazon handled this and is it that difficult?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
The biggest pain is registering with all the states & figuring out if it's an "Origin" or "Destination" based sales tax state. Amazon can collect the sales tax for you as long as you give them your sales tax I.D # for every state you have inventory in. I use software to track my State, city and local sales tax numbers. Check out taxjar.com & blog.taxjar.com

GL

Kosta-B

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Amazon lets you print out a tax document from Seller Central.

I would personally not worry about it when starting out and just give that document to an accountant come tax time and let them figure it out for you.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA

I would personally not worry about it when starting out and just give that document to an accountant come tax time and let them figure it out for you.

The problem is, if you try to do it properly you have to pay sales tax to the other states on a monthly or quarterly basis. It would be fine if I knew where the warehouse was going to be, but they are in 12 different states which sounds like a nightmare.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yes the compliance is pretty ridiculous. I spend more time on this shit than running this business.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Yes the compliance is pretty ridiculous. I spend more time on this shit than running this business.

Would you recommend using FBA then, or when starting out self-fulfill to avoid taxation issues in other states? I suppose I could also choose an outside fulfillment company that is only in one jurisdiction.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I use FBA and I have a CPA deal with it like JAJT alluded to. That doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the a$$. I would never self fulfill though.

You can also pick one fulfillment center too I think it is called centralization or something. It costs an extra 20 cents per package. All of mine end up in Tennessee. The best part is they don't make you split up master cases and shit when you do this.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It costs an extra 20 cents per package

I may be wrong but I think that's a cost per unit, not package.

I got dinged with this when Amazon wanted me to split a shipment into 3 or 4 separate shipments to send to various warehouses. I said "F*ck that" pretty quickly since from Canada it costs more to ship 3 or 4 times than it does to take a few cents hit per unit (which is nuts in itself).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yep that's what I meant. Sorry.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Lol Canadian.

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
For anyone considering shipping to one place, here is how you do it. Took me a while to find it...

1. Go to the settings for "Fulfillment by Amazon."
2. Under Inbound Settings, click Edit.
3. Select your preferred Inventory Placement Option - Distributed Inventory Placement vs. Inventory Placement Service.

As of April, the fees have increased...

Standard Sized Unit, 1lb or less: $0.30
Standard Sized Unit, 1lb-2lb: $0.40
Standard Sized Unit, more than 2lb: $0.40 + $0.10 per pound for everything above 2lbs

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
OK, so I am sending some of my inventory to California. I go to sign up to pay sales tax in CA. I need a Secretary of State number so I look into Foreign LLCs since my LLC is in another state. Holy crap, California requires that Foreign LLCs pay a corporate tax of $800 per year. I don't expect to make enough money in California to cover the $800 tax.

Anyone else deal with this when sending to an Amazon CA warehouse?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.