The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Big things start from tiny 1's and 0's

Jimi L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 8, 2014
OK,
Here I go. I'm starting my web business and I think I have a winner but I'm sure it will change and change and change again before I'm through.

It's my first time starting a business, so I will probably make lots of mistakes. I'm reading all I can and watching as many YouTube videos ( about my market and SEO and Google ads and etc.) to try to limit those mistakes.

The machine has started. It is fight or fail time.

See my introduction post at https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...e-name-youll-see-in-forbes-soon-enough.50430/ to get to know some of my back story.

My seed is still too new, too fragile to tell the details but as time goes by I will give you more and more details for my journey. Maybe it will inspire someone to chase a dream or pull them out of a bad place or even help stop a mistake from even happening.

Stay tuned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Jimi L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 8, 2014
Ok Post #2, first and second speed bump:
1. Tried to turn my CPU into a web server with PHP and Mysql and Apache so I could build my website and test my code. The big word here being "Tried". I wasted too much time. Apparently my HP or Windows 7 does not want to be a web server and has halted in protest, Boooooo!

Plan of Attack: Just start using my intended web hosting service-
Lesson learned: being cheap wastes time.​
2. Had this great idea for a business name, started making logos and building content. I check to make sure the domain name is free. It is. Great. Fast forward to a week later and...... It is gone. Booooooo! (Whois.net says the purchase will in expire in May so they only bought it for 3 months. Might be able to get it)
Plan of Attack: Switching gears and focusing on building a small app empire whose profits I will use to fund the website that I think will be helpful and is needed. My website idea is too big right now for me and i don't want to give this seed bad fertilizer.
Lesson learned: If you see a domain name you might even think of using, buy the damn thing. Don't wait. It won't wait for you.​

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Ok Post #2, first and second speed bump:
1. Tried to turn my CPU into a web server with PHP and Mysql and Apache so I could build my website and test my code. The big word here being "Tried". I wasted too much time. Apparently my HP or Windows 7 does not want to be a web server and has halted in protest, Boooooo!

Plan of Attack: Just start using my intended web hosting service-
Lesson learned: being cheap wastes time.​

You definitely want to get a local server set up to test and develop on. You are going to waste much more time if you have to upload every single change you make in order to test.

Try a WAMP package (instead of manually installing PHP, MySql, and Apache) like http://lexfridman.com/blogs/research/2013/05/17/best-wamp-for-web-development-2013-edition/. It should be fairly easy and require a simple install to get running.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
As Felix said use xampp or whatever to develop on your local machine!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

WalterBellhaven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
Southern California
As the previous two posters said, you'll want a local dev environment. XAMPP is a pretty good option (and you can run it from a USB drive or Dropbox). Even better would be to set up a virtual machine that matches your web hosting environment so you don't have any surprises due to different versions of PHP/Apache/MySQL/etc and you don't have to worry about differences between Windows & Linux setup.

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
2. Had this great idea for a business name, started making logos and building content. I check to make sure the domain name is free. It is. Great. Fast forward to a week later and...... It is gone. Booooooo! (Whois.net says the purchase will in expire in May so they only bought it for 3 months. Might be able to get it)

Domain name front running (the registrar or other parties buying a domain that was searched recently in hopes of selling for more), although its not proven to exist, could be the issue here. I would advise you or anyone else to not look up a domain name until you are ready to buy, just incase this practice does occur.

Jimi L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 8, 2014
The ball keeps rolling....
Experiencing my first time personally outsourcing of work. The companies I have worked for in my current profession have always outsourced work to India and eastern Europe so I am not unaccustomed to dealing with communication barriers. I am currently "testing the waters" with the creation of a logo. I am also relearning that you get what you pay for. Don't go cheap. Go for broke or go home. You can't buy your software and design team at the dollar store and expect awesomeness. The higher the risk, the big the pay off.

Several plans are in motion with one focused intent: make a branded , amazing company that provides the entertainment that people want and hunger for.

I have contacted several law firms about helping me with the legal aspects of starting an internet based company and trademarking. This has mostly been a dart game since I do not know anyone you have a good business lawyer. I am waiting for several to get back to me. I have just been picking law firm that are familiar with internet law. If anyone knows a good lawyer or firm, I am always open to suggestion.

Today, I am going to buy a UPS box that I intend to use as my business address until a physical location becomes needed

Once I have an address, I'll purchase my webhosting service and start building my website

I will also initiate the formation of my LLC.

I have created several graphic plans for the applications I will be creating, focusing manly of the first and flagship program. Now I need to find the right team to develop my ideas.

Commitment here I come. WaaHOOO!

spoonerism

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 29, 2014
Kansas City
Just some quick tips from a developer that's done the local website thing before:

1. Get VirtualBox.
  2. Get Ubuntu.
  3. Use this link (http://obviousrobot.com/2013/09/lin...pment-setup-for-debian-ubuntu-and-derivatives) to install your dev environment on your new VM.

This will get you going with a webserver that you can use to test a PHP website using one of the easiest new frameworks out right now - Laravel.

I've used this with success to setup a dev environment multiple times for playing with side projects. It will get you up and running quickly.

Hope this helps!

ChristopherP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 11, 2014
New Jersey, USA
Everyone is taking about running a local *AMP stack, but what kind of development are you doing that you need to spend the time figuring all of these things out? If you're just working inside WordPress, for instance, why not just screw around on a cheap webhost? I got the impression you weren't experienced technically from the things you said, correct me if I'm wrong.

All that plus all the action on licenses and po boxes just has me concerned that you're missing the forest for the trees. Not trying to be a wet blanket, but maybe this will help nudge your focus in a positive way. I do wish you the best in this.

Jaan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Apr 2, 2014
Estonia
Well, yes it would be easiest to buy a cheap web hosting plan, but best would be to experience everything by yourself.

As people have said.. use XAMPP or WAMP (easier).

Don't be afraid of failure.. I have been programming past 11 years and I have failed a lot, yet I have won even more.
Try those programs out and if you want to go crazy and think "I have no idea what I'm doing" download virtualbox and install ubuntu & Nginx + PHP into it (like said above).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.