The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'll reserve final judgement until I'm done but so far it has been a rather dull read.

I will say that it's nice to see some forum members here getting some pretty legit mentions though:
- MJ is mentioned on multiple occasions
- GlobalWealth has two or three mentions so far
- Snowbank gets a mention

I haven't read it yet, I know she interviewed me and I was put in the book. Is it Slowlane stuff? Jobs? 401Ks?

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
Hey MJ, I can't remember where but I think it was in a posting on another thread a while back but you suggested reading "What Rich People Know And Desperately Want To Keep Secret".

Gotta say, thank you for recommending that book and I advise anyone else to pick it up and give it a read (I bought it used for a couple dollars so shouldn't break anyone's budget). I felt that it complemented well with the principles in TMF .

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I haven't read it yet, I know she interviewed me and I was put in the book. Is it Slowlane stuff? Jobs? 401Ks?

I just finished it today.

Surprisingly, you seem to be the teacher's pet in this book. I think you are mentioned more frequently than anyone else - what seemed like almost every chapter. Billy and Bobby got a few more shout-outs as well.

It is NOT a slowlane/save/invest book, it is absolutely saying "go start a business" and "find a need and fill it". I just felt that this book was very "Business Concepts 101". Which is fine - this would be an excellent starting book for someone with zero business background.

My real disappointment is with the wasted opportunity. She's conducted hour-long interviews with 100+ self-made millionaire business owners - how many people, in history, have done this? Then she writes a very tame, pedestrian "how to start a business" book.

The chapters focus on things like:

- Get out of debt
- Use your current situation/resources
- Fear
- Get a mentor/mastermind
- Write "small" business plans using SWOT, etc..
- Evaluating ideas
- Continuous forward motion
- A "before they were big" stories to show millionaires are just normal people

All good advice. I didn't necessarily think anything was off in her advice. I just put too high of an expectation on the material, given the quality and breadth of her interviews.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I have a really bad habit of reading like 5 books at the same time, so currently I am reading:

Choose Stocks Wisely- Paul W. Allen
Franchise Bible- Erwin J. Keup and Peter E. Keup
The Essays of Warren Buffet
and Uganda Be Kidding Me by Chelsea Handler (Not a business book in any way, I am just a big Chelsea Handler fan:D)

I also just ordered The Millionaire Fastlane , so I'll be reading that shortly

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I hate this thread cuz I am a sucker for creating a never ending reading list since I vowed to start reading end of 2013. Read 12-15 books last 4 months based on this thread. Currently reading Ready, Fire, Aim. Seems to be a great book 1/3 way through. Drilling home selling before doing any of the fluffy furniture and so forth. Even mentioned copy in there, so it has to be good, right?

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Wonder Women: How Western Women Will Save The World, by Jessica Eaves Mathews & Phil Dyer

Are any of you guys on the forum going to check it out?! It's pretty good! :)

Can anyone connect the dots to why I'm reading what I'm am right now?

Because you are trying to master branding techniques, dos and don'ts?

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I just finished it today.
Surprisingly, you seem to be the teacher's pet in this book. I think you are mentioned more frequently than anyone else - what seemed like almost every chapter. Billy and Bobby got a few more shout-outs as well.
It is NOT a slowlane/save/invest book, it is absolutely saying "go start a business" and "find a need and fill it". I just felt that this book was very "Business Concepts 101". Which is fine - this would be an excellent starting book for someone with zero business background.
My real disappointment is with the wasted opportunity. She's conducted hour-long interviews with 100+ self-made millionaire business owners - how many people, in history, have done this? Then she writes a very tame, pedestrian "how to start a business" book.
The chapters focus on things like:
- Get out of debt
- Use your current situation/resources
- Fear
- Get a mentor/mastermind
- Write "small" business plans using SWOT, etc..
- Evaluating ideas
- Continuous forward motion
- A "before they were big" stories to show millionaires are just normal people
All good advice. I didn't necessarily think anything was off in her advice. I just put too high of an expectation on the material, given the quality and breadth of her interviews.

Thank you for the review of Jaime's book. I was going to buy it the day it came out but decided to wait to first see some more reviews of it. I've been following Jaime's work for a while now and was almost going to buy it purely because I became a big fan of hers. I personally very much appreciate what she has done so far by uploading so many interviews and doing all the work to have them done in the first place. Eventually (no pun intended) I'll still get the book to support her and as a thank you. Maybe I will learn something new too.

I saw that MJ is doing a giveaway for it on the INSIDERS section, so I will enter that first.

Thank you again man! Maybe she has another book in the works?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
The E-Myth revisited, awesome.
Ive read the Original E-Myth book...also had to write a review for an Organizational behaviour class...how was the revisited version? Did it speak on more current issues...?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Think and Grow Rich: The Original 1937 Unedited Edition
Read it via free pdf...not sure if it was complete...I thought it was quite good but some of the spiritual stuff...not so keen.

D

Deleted15476

Plug Your Book, Steve Weber
Writing Non-Fiction, Dan Poynter
Self-Publishing Manual, Dan Poynter
Four Hour Work Week, Tim Ferriss (Attempting to decipher if its slowlane, or fastlane.)

Hey MJ, have you decided on this yet?

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Reading:
Driven: How to Succeed in Business and in Life - Robert Herjavec

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm kind of on a leadership and management kick. Reading Winning by Jack Welch. So far I like it.

Affirmed

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 30, 2014
New Mexico
Re-reading The Millionaire Fastlane and just started Ca$hvertising. I also picked up "How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method." Here is the book description from Amazon:

"... How to Solve It will show anyone in any field how to think straight. In lucid and appealing prose, Polya reveals how the mathematical method of demonstrating a proof or finding an unknown can be of help in attacking any problem that can be “reasoned” out—from building a bridge to winning a game of anagrams..."

I believe math helps teach problem solving skills, so that is what attracted me to this book.

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
Just finished Dave Allen's Getting Things Done. Helped me sort through my work and put a process in place for all the "things" that come at me during the day... I also put his system in place in evernote...

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Don Quixote highly recommended

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Kevin O'Leary's Cold Hard Truth On Business, Money & Life

90% done.

It's basically a biography with some tidbits thrown in. Interesting book and love his no-nonsense attitude.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I'm kind of on a leadership and management kick. Reading Winning by Jack Welch. So far I like it.

Here's another one for you, Kak:

The Wisdom of Failure- how to learn the tough leadership lessons without paying the price

I just bulldozed my way through the book, mostly reading the headings, subheadings, and Key Takeaways chapter summaries to hit the authors' high points.

Any company leader would be well-served to take a humble look at how other CEOs have managed to sink corporate ships. Forewarned is forearmed. It's human nature, tho, to read the stories and still say with self-righteousness, "Well, I'd never do THAT."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.